Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mock and Resignings

Mock and Resignings

Do not Resign/CutCro – not worth the money
    Braylon/Holmes – Keep one and let one go, I have no idea who stays and who goes
    Brad Smith – love the guy, but we just cant afford everyone
    Damien Woody – Already cut
    Ben Hartstock – Already cut, Saves $1.6 million and can be replaced by Mulligan. Oh, and he sucked
    Bryan Thomas – Saves $3.6 million, have to get younger and faster
    Gholston – Already Cut
    Jason Taylor – Already Cut, Saves $2.7 million
    Brunell – Saves $1.3 million We need to find a backup, hopefully we keep Clemens at the vet minimum.
    Eric Smith – Too much money for marginal production, replaced below by Hagg
    Pryce/Richardson – Age, enough said

ResignBraylon/Holmes – Not sure which one
    Ellis –I just don’t think we can afford a big name.
    LT: Id rather go younger, but its not a lot of money and gives us some safety at the position.
    Harris – Signed for franchise #, hopefully he gets a long term deal
    Pool – Once he learned the defense, he really came on in the 2nd half of the year

RestructureKris Jenkins – Hopefully an incentive based contract gets him here, and saves us $2million
    Mark Sanchez – He is close enough (if not there already) to Jet for life status, so adding a couple years to ease up the $14 million hit this year is not a problem.

Draft

1Rd: Brooks Reed or Ryan Kerrigan. 1 of the top Dllineman is gonna be the odd man out and fall and it could be Kerrigan. It both these guys are gone, we should move back. Take one of the remaining in the 2nd round btw Taylor, Ballard, Heyward, etc

3Rd: Titus Young: Adding some speed and youth into the receiving core is a smart move if Young really does fall. If he doesnt, wouldnt mind seeing Jerrel Jernigan for the same reasons. These guys are both "Ranked" in that 8-11 area for WRs so one should be there. Cotch is great, but some speed underneath would really open things up for the offense.

4Rd: One of: Kendrick Ellis/Fua/Powe/Jarvis Jenkins. A good opportunity given the full range of depth of DLineman to get a big body this late. Yes these guys all have red flags, but its the 4th round...they also each have skills to be excellent players, its worth it.

5Rd: Mark Herzlich. He came out of the combine poorly and obviously has a big medical concern, but this late its worth it. So much NFL success depends on effort, heart etc making athleticism somewhat overrated (talking to you Vernon Gholston), especially depending on position. Herzlich was ACC conference player of the year and his character/leadership etc is unmatched. Its worth the risk here to take him as he can play 3-4ILB, and has experience at OLB. If he checks out medically I dont see how he doesnt make it as a player. It would be big savings for the team if we found a player to replace a declining Bart Scott in 2012.

6th: Eric Hagg/Ahmad Black or next best DBack. Hagg and Black could be could be good fits as they arent liabilities in the run defense. Not the fastest guys but this late, none of the guys are.

7th: Best available developmental player at any position.

LT is already under contract

We better resign Smith or this team is in huge trouble. His ST value is pretty high and he has finally become a good WR. I'm not sure we can find one or even 2 guy capable of doing what he has done. He is not asking for Leon Washington money so I think that is very doable. In all reality he is our most important FA. Ellis is still good but at his age he has maybe 2 good years left in him. I also love Homles but there are other options out there right now. If he can't sign at a reasonable price I'm not sure he is worth it. Just look at the issues Miami is having with Marshall after he got everything he wanted. I do hope he resign if not we will live on.

I think they will resign Cro

All Pro
    I would absolutely LOVE if Titus Young was still there when the Jets pick in the 3rd, but I really doubt it actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We better resign Smith or this team is in huge trouble. His ST value is pretty high and he has finally become a good WR. I'm not sure we can find one or even 2 guy capable of doing what he has done. He is not asking for Leon Washington money so I think that is very doable. In all reality he is our most important FA. Ellis is still good but at his age he has maybe 2 good years left in him. I also love Homles but there are other options out there right now. If he can't sign at a reasonable price I'm not sure he is worth it. Just look at the issues Miami is having with Marshall after he got everything he wanted. I do hope he resign if not we will live on.
    Smith is a great returner and runs the wildcat very, very well, but he is not a good receiver. Where do you see him producing at that position? I dont see how its possible that Brad Smith is our most important FA....

If they change the kickoff rules, not only does it reduce the contract that smith will get, but it also reduces his value to any team including ours.

If as you say Heyward is there for our first round pick you take him and run with it. No way in hell I take Reed/Kerrigan over Heyward.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Smith is a great returner and runs the wildcat very, very well, but he is not a good receiver. Where do you see him producing at that position? I dont see how its possible that Brad Smith is our most important FA....

If they change the kickoff rules, not only does it reduce the contract that smith will get, but it also reduces his value to any team including ours.
    Smith does a lot of things and does them very well. Even if the change the return rules which they likely will not he is dynamic and gives us a lot of options we would not have without him. He is a good receiver he just was not used a lot. People keep saying he has bad hands which is false. Dropping one end zone pass what 3 years ago does not mean he has bad hands. The guy has actually progressed well at the WR position he is just more important at the ST position. For the 1st time he is running good routes which was his biggest knock. He is faster then most maybe the fastest guy on the team. He does have good hands, is a physical tough guy and is not scared to take or give a hit, and can run and pass out of the back field.

It is really hard to find players like that. I will admit Rex is not the innovative offensive guy that Mangi was but I am sure they can fit him in somewhere. We are not talking a maybe 4 mil a year at most contract here so it is worth the investment IMO. More then likely we get him at half that. Name me one FA that is more important and I will tell you how you are wrong. None of them are as hard to replace as Smith is. Ability like that is rare and can not be found easy. The only one that comes close is Ellis and he is 33 and has declined quite a bit over the last 2 years. David Harris is already tagged so he doesn't count IMO. As soon as we can resign him he will be resigned. That leaves who Pool, Richardson, Hunter, and Cro. None of which can't be easily replaced.

As for WR I would love Holmes back but is no big deal if he is not. Not with the overload of WRs out on the market right now. I would be content with resigning Santana Moss at half the price. Edwards is a wash IMO I'd rather have Clowney or Stuckey back. Unlike most I actually like Stuckey he has heart. If we could get Lance Moore or Steve Smith over Edards I'd be thrilled. Steve Breaston will also be pretty cheap to get IMO and would fit us great. I'd be willing to throw a mid rounder or two to pick up what ever tender Zona puts on him. No way can they afford to pay big money to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Smith does a lot of things and does them very well. Even if the change the return rules which they likely will not he is dynamic and gives us a lot of options we would not have without him. He is a good receiver he just was not used a lot. People keep saying he has bad hands which is false. Dropping one end zone pass what 3 years ago does not mean he has bad hands. The guy has actually progressed well at the WR position he is just more important at the ST position. For the 1st time he is running good routes which was his biggest knock. He is faster then most maybe the fastest guy on the team. He does have good hands, is a physical tough guy and is not scared to take or give a hit, and can run and pass out of the back field.

It is really hard to find players like that. I will admit Rex is not the innovative offensive guy that Mangi was but I am sure they can fit him in somewhere. We are not talking a maybe 4 mil a year at most contract here so it is worth the investment IMO. More then likely we get him at half that. Name me one FA that is more important and I will tell you how you are wrong. None of them are as hard to replace as Smith is. Ability like that is rare and can not be found easy. The only one that comes close is Ellis and he is 33 and has declined quite a bit over the last 2 years. David Harris is already tagged so he doesn't count IMO. As soon as we can resign him he will be resigned. That leaves who Pool, Richardson, Hunter, and Cro. None of which can't be easily replaced.

As for WR I would love Holmes back but is no big deal if he is not. Not with the overload of WRs out on the market right now. I would be content with resigning Santana Moss at half the price. Edwards is a wash IMO I'd rather have Clowney or Stuckey back. Unlike most I actually like Stuckey he has heart. If we could get Lance Moore or Steve Smith over Edards I'd be thrilled. Steve Breaston will also be pretty cheap to get IMO and would fit us great. I'd be willing to throw a mid rounder or two to pick up what ever tender Zona puts on him. No way can they afford to pay big money to him.
    Let me get this straight... you think that a WR group of Cotch/Smith/Stuckey is going to even be remotely close to what we have currently. Are you kidding me???? That'd be among the league's worst WR corps. Clowney/Stuckey would pray to be a tenth of the player Edwards, let's not even compare them to Holmes. Steve Smith?? The guy who Carolina, a team that could use any talent, can't wait to jettison.

Brad Smith is definitely not the fastest player on the offense, let alone the team. Cro and Holmes say hello. Holmes is most definitely a more important FA, followed by Edwards. They could both legitimately be #1 receivers, something Smith will never be. Cro is also harder to replace (though we do have a replacement that needs to get some time, so i'd take Smith over him) skill set-wise.

Overall this post is probably one of the more delusional ones that I have read on this board.

[QUOTE=TheMo;3984299]
    Let me get this straight... you think that a WR group of Cotch/Smith/Stuckey is going to even be remotely close to what we have currently. Are you kidding me????
    No not even close to what I said so I don't know where you are getting that.

That'd be among the league's worst WR corps. Clowney/Stuckey would pray to be a tenth of the player Edwards,
    Edwards is not as good as you are making him out to be. By a long shot. He fit what we needed at the time but he is still an average WR if that. As a slot Clowney and Stuckey can bring more to the table. If you really think Edwards is that good then you are just flat out wrong. He is exciting but not a very good #1 and we already have a better WRs in Holmes and Cotchery. He average the same amount of catches per game and more drops then Stuckey. He just had more yards because all he can do is run wide out patters. Up the middle he is pretty useless and flinches at contact.

let's not even compare them to Holmes.
    I didn't. Holmes is a top 15 WR that said is also a PR nightmare and a distraction. If he doesn't want to work with us I just dont see it as the end of the world given there are at least 10 WRs that can be a legit #1. Don't tell me none of them would want to come to NJ. I want him back but if he doesn't I still think we will do just as good with whomever comes in.

Steve Smith?? The guy who Carolina, a team that could use any talent, can't wait to jettison.
    Wrong Steve Smith he is not a FA and so far Carolina is not talking about trading him. Although at what 31 they likely should just to get some value while it is still there. If it is still there. For that matter Carolina doesn't even know if the other Steve Smith is coming back this year. The man is still on the IR and Carolina wants him to come back. The one I am talking about is from NY. The one that is 25 and holds the single season team record for most receptions in a year.

Brad Smith is definitely not the fastest player on the offense, let alone the team. Cro and Holmes say hello. Holmes is most definitely a more important FA, followed by Edwards.
    \

Brad last year was reported as the 2nd fastest guy on O at camp and Aundrae Allison didn't make the team so. And he was right with Allison. But yes Holmes was not there. He is faster now then he was in college.

Edwards is not even in the top ten. Why would a over paid #3 be high on our list at all? The guy has had 1 season of over 1k yards and holds the all time record for most dropped passes in a career. That is a bad joke in itself. It was a good move because we needed a speedy #1 at the time but the guy is just an overpaid hack. If we get anther valid ST guy Smith can take the slot for all I care. How would that be more valuable then one or the best return and wildcat options in the league? Again guys that can also block are very valuable in itself. Has has a variety of talent that you can't measure with stats. It is guys like you that lost us Woodhead who should not have lost his spot.

They could both legitimately be #1 receivers, something Smith will never be.
    That is not Smith value he does more then just WR. Again I love Holmes but he can be replaced very easy here Smith can not. There is very few players that do what he does and team do not let them go unless they are looking for mad money like Leon Washington was. We have been spoiled over the last few years with guys that can do multiple things very well. Yes you have one thing right her Smith will never draw the income Homles will because he is not a trademark player and never will be. But in the same respect he will win just as many if not more games.

Cro is also harder to replace (though we do have a replacement that needs to get some time, so i'd take Smith over him) skill set-wise.
    Cro has already been replaced. Lowery is outstanding anyone still doubting this guy just doesn't know anything about DBs. He will be a star in this league and has had his time to adjust already. The guy won 2 very important games for us at the end of the year. We also just drafted Wilson. Without him we still have the best 3 man team at CB. If we can keep him fine if not we are not hurting at all. That is defiantly a spot where we are holding all the cards.

Overall this post is probably one of the more delusional ones that I have read on this board.
    I agree you post was delusional and with out a drop of knowledge of the players involved.

All Pro
    "As a slot, Stuckey and CLOWNEY can bring more to the table."

CLOWNEY??? Really? WOW. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And Brad Smith is just the latest ST ace that Westhoff has developed. Chad Morton, Justin Miller, Wallace Wright, Leon Washington... they always find a new guy to step in.

Smith is a great athlete, lousy WR, nice catQB, good return man... and fairly easy to replace. I don't know what you have seen in him as a WR that NOBODY else has. He is just not a good WR at all. Thats why he hardly ever gets any balls thrown his way. That's why the team was forced to bring in two troubled players.

Lowery a star?

Are you serious with all this garbage? It seems like a bad joke.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 03-21-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Great story but I dont see any value in Mark Herzlich. not with a 5th rounder or undrafted. He looked pretty bad at Senior Bowl.

Seriously Dreamers, did you just say that clowney WHO ISNT EVEN IN FOOTBALL and Chasni Stuckey are better options then Braylon Edwards?

That is one of the poorest obvservations Ive ever seen on this board.

Bit...hear ya on Herzlich, I just think it takes 2 years to recover from missing a season and the kid is definitely gonna put in the time and effort. Anything specific from the senior bowl? Curious more then anything

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    If as you say Heyward is there for our first round pick you take him and run with it. No way in hell I take Reed/Kerrigan over Heyward.
    With Reed agreed, Kerrigan I would at least have to consider. Would be AWESOME if the Jets were actually in that position to choose...highly doubt it though.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Bit...hear ya on Herzlich, I just think it takes 2 years to recover from missing a season and the kid is definitely gonna put in the time and effort. Anything specific from the senior bowl? Curious more then anything
    I don't know that there is a set recovery time for what he had (bone cancer) and what he went through (full chemo).

He's got poor lateral movement and bad agility. maybe he can help as a special teamer. I don't think he's worth a draft pick.

All Pro
    Every yr or so just before the draft,Jet fans pick a player who's a free agent that haven't produced the way they would like and insist that this player be released.A few yrs ago it was Bryan Thomas but Mangini gaved him a new position and a contract .Then it was Brandon Moore,and this yr it's Brad Smith.

Maybe the jets don't resign this player for whatever reason,but IMO,when given the opportunity he has shown me enough to where i believe if he ws given a consistent role as a receiver in an offense,he might be a player.

This team needs a front 7 force,that makes OC take notice.In my humble opinionthe way we run our 34,it's stupid to spend major $$$ on a DE when all you want that player to do is hold the point of attack,secure the edge and allow the blitzers to do their thing.

Ryan runs a blitz happy scheme,where the NT and the 2 DE need to be stout enough to tie up the Linemen and free up his blitzers.Am I to believe that the only place you can find these type of grunts is with a top 20 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Every yr or so just before the draft,Jet fans pick a player who's a free agent that haven't produced the way they would like and insist that this player be released.A few yrs ago it was Bryan Thomas but Mangini gaved him a new position and a contract .Then it was Brandon Moore,and this yr it's Brad Smith.

Maybe the jets don't resign this player for whatever reason,but IMO,when given the opportunity he has shown me enough to where i believe if he ws given a consistent role as a receiver in an offense,he might be a player.

This team needs a front 7 force,that makes OC take notice.In my humble opinionthe way we run our 34,it's stupid to spend major $$$ on a DE when all you want that player to do is hold the point of attack,secure the edge and allow the blitzers to do their thing.

Ryan runs a blitz happy scheme,where the NT and the 2 DE need to be stout enough to tie up the Linemen and free up his blitzers.Am I to believe that the only place you can find these type of grunts is with a top 20 1st round pick.
    If you want a grunt you can get them anywhere.

If you want a Shaun Ellis who got two sacks and was a major reason we beat the Pats in the playoffs you have to go 1st round.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If you want a grunt you can get them anywhere.

If you want a Shaun Ellis who got two sacks and was a major reason we beat the Pats in the playoffs you have to go 1st round.
    What did Ellis do against the Steelers in both games.What i want is a player that causes the offensive team to worry when he is deployed.In Rex's defense,the blitzers and the corners are what is important.Some fans bring up Ngata,but the Ravens got lucky with him and they had a miserable season the yr before which allowed them the chance to have that opportunity.

Our DL is their to control the OL and allow our blitzers to do their job.That job is made even more easy when the CBs can cover man to man .What we need are big strong DLmen who can tieup the Olmen.

You can have your Shaun Ellis,but since we're playing this defense,i want LBers who can run,hit and shoot gaps.I want a FS who can roam and a SS who's a rover(a small LBer who can run and still catch a football).

The problem we have is we don't have DEs who can tie up the OLmen an ILber who can run better than any of the 2 we have and a SS the kind i prefer to play this defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    What did Ellis do against the Steelers in both games.What i want is a player that causes the offensive team to worry when he is deployed.In Rex's defense,the blitzers and the corners are what is important.Some fans bring up Ngata,but the Ravens got lucky with him and they had a miserable season the yr before which allowed them the chance to have that opportunity.

Our DL is their to control the OL and allow our blitzers to do their job.That job is made even more easy when the CBs can cover man to man .What we need are big strong DLmen who can tieup the Olmen.

You can have your Shaun Ellis,but since we're playing this defense,i want LBers who can run,hit and shoot gaps.I want a FS who can roam and a SS who's a rover(a small LBer who can run and still catch a football).

The problem we have is we don't have DEs who can tie up the OLmen an ILber who can run better than any of the 2 we have and a SS the kind i prefer to play this defense.
    Hey, my 1st want is a pass rushing olb who is a terror. However in this draft we have a whole bunch of quality DE type players and a few dynamic 3-4 pass rushers that will be gone by the time we pick. We probably don't get to pittsburgh if we don't have Ellis. A guy stout against the run that can also rush the passer. It just so happens that this draft is loaded with D-lineman.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    With Reed agreed, Kerrigan I would at least have to consider. Would be AWESOME if the Jets were actually in that position to choose...highly doubt it though.
    I'm with you. I've been dreaming that Heyward would fall to the Jets, but if it actually becomes Heyward vs. Kerrigan, I think I go Kerrigan. Having a pass rusher added to this defense is too important to pass up, IMO. Not that we don't need a guy like Heyward - we do - but there seem to be so few legit pass rushers in this draft.