Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Reed vs Christian Ballard

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Brooks Reed vs Christian Ballard

since the Reed disciples are fawning over his combine numbers i looked at the official master report and compared the two for sh!ts and & giggles...it was actually quite revealing when you break down the numbers...

Ballard 6036/283

Reed 6024/263

Bench: B- DNL R- 30

10yd Split (best time) B- 1.67 ET R-1.63ET
    40yd (best time) B- 4.76ET R- 4.66ET
    Vert B- 31.5" R- 30.5"
    Broad B- 9'3'' R- 9'5''
    20Sht B- 4.51 R- 4.28
    3cone B- 7.54 R- 7.11

except for the shuttles/3cone Ballard, who was 20lbs heavier, was with or beat Reed in every catagory....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neither is a guy who I'm falling over myself to use the first round pick on. It'd be really convenient if we got to trade back (or up if possible).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont understand why we have to tear one of these players down to build up the other

play players worked out great, i'd be happy with either as the pick... they fill different needs but both help this defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    since the Reed disciples are fawning over his combine numbers i looked at the official master report and compared the two for sh!ts and & giggles...it was actually quite revealing when you break down the numbers...

Ballard 6036/283

Reed 6024/263

Vert B- 31.5" R- 30.5"
    Broad B- 9'3'' R- 9'5''
    20Sht B- 4.51 R- 4.28
    3cone B- 7.54 R- 7.11

except for the shuttles/3cone Ballard, who was 20lbs heavier, was with or beat Reed in every catagory....
    Ballard would be a good pick. Looks very fluid and explosive at his size.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    personally - these aren't substitute players.

ballard reminds me of a young shaun ellis and reed, woodley.

they just seem like they play totally different positions.

the weight and time differences are neither small differences nor marginal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    "except for the shuttles/3cone Ballard, who was 20lbs heavier, was with or beat Reed in every catagory...."

And, oh yeah, Reed was also better than Ballard in the 10 yard split, and, er, the 40, and oh yeah, the broad jump. Oh, and the bench, too. In fact Reed beat Ballard in 6 of the seven catagories you posted and only was behind Ballard in the Vert by an inch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

It's not so much that they're substitute prospects...it's that I'm really hoping for Heyward or Wilkerson or better.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucsonpaint View Post
    "except for the shuttles/3cone Ballard, who was 20lbs heavier, was with or beat Reed in every catagory...."

And, oh yeah, Reed was also better than Ballard in the 10 yard split, and, er, the 40, and oh yeah, the broad jump. Oh, and the bench, too. In fact Reed beat Ballard in 6 of the seven catagories you posted and only was behind Ballard in the Vert by an inch.
    lol- @20lbs lighter....what didn't you understand when i said he was "with Reed"???

then again i understand the need to rush to his defense...- touring the world wide web to shill for reed must be tiring....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-20-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

it wasn't meant nor a matter to substitute one for the other- it was to point out while many are fawning over reed's numbers or in the case of tusconspaint- posting absolutely inncorrect information until he/she was caught, Ballard's numbers at 20lbs heavier, 1-inch taller and a much more polished prospect are as good if not better and at a position of higher priority...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Ballard 6036/283

Reed 6024/263

Vert B- 31.5" R- 30.5"
    Broad B- 9'3'' R- 9'5''
    20Sht B- 4.51 R- 4.28
    3cone B- 7.54 R- 7.11

Is comparing Ballard to Shaun Ellis an accurate comparison?

From a Jets perspective, say Heyward & Wilkinson are gone, Phil Taylor and Ballard are there at 30..What way would you go?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    it wasn't meant nor a matter to substitute one for the other- it was to point out while many are fawning over reed's numbers or in the case of tusconspaint- posting absolutely inncorrect information until he/she was caught, Ballard's numbers at 20lbs heavier, 1-inch taller and a much more polished prospect are as good if not better and at a position of higher priority...
    While I want a DE too, I dont think that its a higher priority than OLB. The Jets at least have a lot of unproven depth there if nothing else. On the other hand, OLB only has Pace, Thomas (whose getting long in the tooth and still may be a cap casualty), and Westerman who I have hopes for, but still unproven.

DE is just less risky in the first round in comparison to OLB, where picking a guy up in the third might have the same success rate at converting. As well as a lot of top end talent at DE this year
    Last edited by intothegreen; 03-20-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Is comparing Ballard to Shaun Ellis an accurate comparison?

From a Jets perspective, say Heyward & Wilkinson are gone, Phil Taylor and Ballard are there at 30..What way would you go?
    that's the guy i always think of when looking at comparisons, which i rarely do...that said Ballard is more 3-4/two gap ready...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    While I want a DE too, I dont think that its a higher priority than OLB. The Jets at least have a lot of unproven depth there if nothing else. On the other hand, OLB only has Pace, Thomas (whose getting long in the tooth and still may be a cap casualty), and Westerman who I have hopes for, but still unproven.

DE is just less risky in the first round in comparison to OLB, where picking a guy up in the third might have the same success rate at converting. As well as a lot of top end talent at DE this year
    D-line is always a higher priority in the NFL compared to OLB in the NFL draft- look at the numbers...you're talking about specific teams needs- i'm talking in general...

then again i would disagree with you about OLB being a bigger need versus d-line for the Jets where you've got two guys over 30 with Puaha who will be 33 relatively soon and you don't know what's going to happen w/Eliis, devito and a bunch of guys you're rolling the dice with...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wondering if the Jets took one of these players, which position has better mid-late round depth/talent. I could see a guy like Ballard's teammate Karl Klug almost fitting into Rex's system just as nicely as a later round pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Christian Ballard is way underrated. it's looking now like he will get drafted before Adrian Clayborn. The Pats could take this player at 17 or 28 and either way everyone would say it was a great pick.

for a 3-4 team his draft stock is as high or higher than Liuget, Heyward, Wilkerson. He's closer to Cam Jordan and JJ watt and did have elite work out numbers. Both Ballard and Reed's ten yard split was faster than many WR and CB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets have a starting NT in Pouha, they do not have a starter quality player to replace Ellis. The need for Ballard is more than the need for Taylor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Christian Ballard is way underrated. it's looking now like he will get drafted before Adrian Clayborn. The Pats could take this player at 17 or 28 and either way everyone would say it was a great pick.

for a 3-4 team his draft stock is as high or higher than Liuget, Heyward, Wilkerson. He's closer to Cam Jordan and JJ watt and did have elite work out numbers. Both Ballard and Reed's ten yard split was faster than many WR and CB.
    It's been looking that way for a good 6 months or so.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry- forgot to answer....ballard in a second- people fall in love with these big guys and have the "gotta have" mentaility but you can get them later in the draft...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry- forgot to answer....ballard in a second- people fall in love with these big guys and have the "gotta have" mentaility but you can get them later in the draft...
    Not a problem..Appreciate the feedback..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's the guy i always think of when looking at comparisons, which i rarely do...that said Ballard is more 3-4/two gap ready...
    Ballard appears to be more explosive than a young Shaun Ellis, no? The thing that always impressed me about Ellis is his strength -- he is just a tough, powerful SOB. I don't think Ballard has that sort of strength?

Also, who do you take if they're both there, Ballard or Heyward?