Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Reed vs Christian Ballard

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Ballard appears to be more explosive than a young Shaun Ellis, no? The thing that always impressed me about Ellis is his strength -- he is just a tough, powerful SOB. I don't think Ballard has that sort of strength?

Also, who do you take if they're both there, Ballard or Heyward?
    Ellis was not a real strong player coming out of UT- if there is a difference its' minimal...Ballard is better moving laterally...

I'd take Heyward over Ballard- not as good a pass rusher but sized better, stronger and someone that does the little things better...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Ellis was not a real strong player coming out of UT- if there is a difference its' minimal...Ballard is better moving laterally...

I'd take Heyward over Ballard- not as good a pass rusher but sized better, stronger and someone that does the little things better...
    Something tells me that Heyward isn't getting passed the Patriots.

CBTNY: "lol- @20lbs lighter....what didn't you understand when i said he was "with Reed"???

then again i understand the need to rush to his defense...- touring the world wide web to shill for reed must be tiring"

Regarding what I didn't understand about "Being with Reed", I guess I thought "being with" meant "tied", or "the same as". If by "Being with Reed" you meant the Ballard was slower and weaker than Reed although 20 Lbs heavier, then I apologize, but then what was the point of your observations? I could name hundreds of players that are slower and weaker than Reed, but that would then be just as meaningless as your post, LOL.

Contrary to tiring, touring the web, especially to see what is written about Reed for me is interesting. What must really be tiring is to tour the web to see what another poster is posting....

sorry- forgot to answer....ballard in a second- people fall in love with these big guys and have the "gotta have" mentaility but you can get them later in the draft...
    It's taken me a lot of years to finally come around to this concept (size isn't everything). The Haloti Ngata's are one in a million where you can still find and grab the Alan Branch's, Kris Jenkins' and Ron Brace's of the world in the 2nd-3rd rounds. And then you can still have your Sammie Lee Hill's, Gabe Watson's, Ahtyba Rubin's, Corey Williams' in the 4-5-6's. All these guys are essentially the same size but with varied levels of dominance. But the size doesn't automatically translate to what we want it to.
    Last edited by HessStation; 03-20-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    It's taken me a lot of years to finally come around to this concept (size isn't everything). The Haloti Ngata's are one in a million where you can still find and grab the Alan Branch's, Kris Jenkins' and Ron Brace's of the world in the 2nd-3rd rounds. And then you can still have your Sammie Lee Hill's, Gabe Watson's, Ahtyba Rubin's, Corey Williams' in the 4-5-6's. All these guys are essentially the same size but with varied levels of dominance. But the size doesn't automatically translate to what we want it to.
    Rubin and Sammie Lee Hill are exactly who I was thinking of with CBNY's statement. For one reason or another big guys fall too. A lot of people have the mentality that there are only so many of them and that the Jets need to take them early or else another team will, but thats not always the case.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucsonpaint View Post
    CBTNY: "lol- @20lbs lighter....what didn't you understand when i said he was "with Reed"???

then again i understand the need to rush to his defense...- touring the world wide web to shill for reed must be tiring"

Regarding what I didn't understand about "Being with Reed", I guess I thought "being with" meant "tied", or "the same as". If by "Being with Reed" you meant the Ballard was slower and weaker than Reed although 20 Lbs heavier, then I apologize, but then what was the point of your observations? I could name hundreds of players that are slower and weaker than Reed, but that would then be just as meaningless as your post, LOL.

Contrary to tiring, touring the web, especially to see what is written about Reed for me is interesting. What must really be tiring is to tour the web to see what another poster is posting....
    weaker?? you realize DNL means did not lift, so there's no basis for your comment as with much of your Reed homerism....

btw- most NFL teams will take a 283lbs D-lineman that .03 "slower" in the ten, .1s "slower" in the forty and two inches "worse" in the broad jump than a 263lbs project...but hey- why accept the obvious...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Rubin and Sammie Lee Hill are exactly who I was thinking of with CBNY's statement. For one reason or another big guys fall too. A lot of people have the mentality that there are only so many of them and that the Jets need to take them early or else another team will, but thats not always the case.
    Rubin was my thought process...the other one will eventually be Cam Thomas...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Wondering if the Jets took one of these players, which position has better mid-late round depth/talent. I could see a guy like Ballard's teammate Karl Klug almost fitting into Rex's system just as nicely as a later round pick.
    well, well well....just found out the Jets are showing a ton of interest in Ballard and Klug...the catch is they view Klug, who's 275 pounds, as a potential ILB....he ran well last march during junior timing day...he did not run at the combine and Iowa's pro-day is tomorrow....stay tuned....

interesting in that i posted that i am aware they are looking at jonas mouton at ilb as well...

well, well well....just found out the Jets are showing a ton of interest in Ballard and Klug...the catch is they view Klug, who's 275 pounds, as a potential ILB....he ran well last march during junior timing day...he did not run at the combine and Iowa's pro-day is tomorrow....stay tuned....

interesting in that i posted that i am aware they are looking at jonas mouton at ilb as well...
    Why no interest in Clayborn? I always see him rated higher than Ballard..They don't think he makes it 30?

Dude Ballards numbers are ridiculous, especially the 10 yard split. He is 20lbs heavier and was near identical to reed in that measurement. Reed is one the more overhyped prospects in general. No way I take him over Ballard or Heyward (some fools would so I am putting that out there). He looks like Clay Matthews and is getting the hype that comes with that.

You have GOT to be Reed's agent and/or boyfriend. The point was that Ballard's numbers were almost the same as Reed's, despite being 20lbs heavier. In other words, it's easier to find guys with Reed's measurables at Reed's size than it is to find someone with Ballard's measurables at Ballard's size.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Why no interest in Clayborn? I always see him rated higher than Ballard..They don't think he makes it 30?
    not a two-gap end....6025/281 average speed....much softer versus the run compared to Ballard...

Are we not comparing two different situations here? Ballard would be a DE and Reed would be an olb no?

Reed has twice as many sacks as Ballard in college.

I'd rather compare Ballard to other DE prospects and Reed to other OLB's

Ballard is a great athlete, will go high in the draft and will become a great NFL Defensive Lineman. This is not the issue. And, as a previous poster pointed out, in comparing Reed and Ballard, we are talking about apples and oranges.

The issue is that CBTNY wrote that Ballard "was with or beat Reed in every catagory". This is patently a false statement. "Was with" means "the same as" or "equals" or " is a tie with". Reed was faster than Ballard in all speed catagories. CBTNY is incorrect. Now CBTNY is trying to dance around being incorrect with statements such as, "well, Ballard weighs more", or "more teams would prefer......" Etc.

Strength wise, one cannot say Ballard beat Reed or "was with" Reed if Ballard chose not to participate in the Bench. Why even include that catagory? Reed remains the stronger on record until Ballard choses to bench. Ballard has a proday coming up tomorrow, so we'll all see if Ballard can do 30 or more reps on the bench. My bet---even with Ballard at 20 Lbs heavier than Reed, Ballard loses this contest. If Ballard DNP in the bench tomorrow, little red flags pop up.

Fact remains that CBTNY is wrong. Something that I suspect CBTNY hates to hear. But then why accept the obvious.....?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Ballard is a great athlete, will go high in the draft and will become a great NFL Defensive Lineman. This is not the issue. And, as a previous poster pointed out, in comparing Reed and Ballard, we are talking about apples and oranges.

The issue is that CBTNY wrote that Ballard "was with or beat Reed in every catagory". This is patently a false statement. "Was with" means "the same as" or "equals" or " is a tie with". Reed was faster than Ballard in all speed catagories. CBTNY is incorrect. Now CBTNY is trying to dance around being incorrect with statements such as, "well, Ballard weighs more", or "more teams would prefer......" Etc.

Strength wise, one cannot say Ballard beat Reed or "was with" Reed if Ballard chose not to participate in the Bench. Why even include that catagory? Reed remains the stronger on record until Ballard choses to bench. Ballard has a proday coming up tomorrow, so we'll all see if Ballard can do 30 or more reps on the bench. My bet---even with Ballard at 20 Lbs heavier than Reed, Ballard loses this contest. If Ballard DNP in the bench tomorrow, little red flags pop up.

Fact remains that CBTNY is wrong. Something that I suspect CBTNY hates to hear. But then why accept the obvious.....?
    lol..."was with" does not mean tied, but please- don't let that stop with from your shameless shilling...

I think your also missing the point. DLmen should be significantly slower than LBers. Reed's numbers were considered among the best for LBers yet here we have a DLmen running pretty close and that should be noted as outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    I think your also missing the point. DLmen should be significantly slower than LBers. Reed's numbers were considered among the best for LBers yet here we have a DLmen running pretty close and that should be noted as outstanding.
    Exactly.

"lol..."was with" does not mean tied.

Right! So, I wouldn't be incorrect to say that my basketball game is right there with Kobe.

"but please- don't let that stop with from your shameless shilling...".......

I'm not missing the point. As I said before, Ballard is a remarkable athlete. If you can find someone at his position that comes as close as he did to Brooks' times, it really is exceptional! My point is that he didn't beat or tie Brooks' times as CBTNY was asserting.
    Last edited by Tucsonpaint; 03-20-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm not missing the point. As I said before, Ballard is a remarkable athlete. If you can find someone at his position that comes as close as he did to Brooks' times, it really is exceptional! My point is that he didn't beat or tie Brooks' times as CBTNY was asserting.
    I think he was implying that Ballard's numbers as a 290 lb 5-tech are more impressive than Reed's numbers as a 260 lb DE/OLB.

Which I would agree with.

I would think that they are both exceptional athletes. Brooks was faster at the 10 Yard split than all OLBs (and 16 of 34 running backs)and Ballard was faster than all DEs---but not faster than Brooks if you want to call Brooks a DE. Incidentally, just for accuracy's sake, Brooks is listed at 263, not 260 and Ballard is listed as a DT at 283, not 290.