Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Reed vs Christian Ballard

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Ballard were the 6'5"/6'6" he was listed as at Iowa he'd be as strong a prospect as Heyward. Damn those lies!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    not a two-gap end....6025/281 average speed....much softer versus the run compared to Ballard...
    Thanks..I'm liking what I'm reading about Ballard..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucsonpaint View Post
    "lol..."was with" does not mean tied.

Right! So, I wouldn't be incorrect to say that my basketball game is right there with Kobe.

"but please- don't let that stop with from your shameless shilling...".......

I'm not missing the point. As I said before, Ballard is a remarkable athlete. If you can find someone at his position that comes as close as he did to Brooks' times, it really is exceptional! My point is that he didn't beat or tie Brooks' times as CBTNY was asserting.
    Ballard is a better athlete that's the point. This is like saying a guy who 5'3" 230lbs is fitter than a guy who 6'3" 240lbs simply because on an absolute scale he weighs less. Also you are a huge homer, you have contributed little to this board outside of going down on your mancrush reed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    "lol..."was with" does not mean tied.

Right! So, I wouldn't be incorrect to say that my basketball game is right there with Kobe.

"but please- don't let that stop with from your shameless shilling...".......

I'm not missing the point. As I said before, Ballard is a remarkable athlete. If you can find someone at his position that comes as close as he did to Brooks' times, it really is exceptional! My point is that he didn't beat or tie Brooks' times as CBTNY was asserting.
    "was with" = in the same vicinity. He posted there actual numbers so I highly doubt he was suggesting that they were tied or Ballard beat him. His point is that they were fairly close in all but one category. We know you swing from Reed's nutz, but don't get so offended every time someone suggests that Reed isn't Clay Matthews.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    All you guys---the refuge of the intellectually limited is Ad Hominem. If the Jets are lucky enough to end up with Reed, you're going to see a lot more of me on your boards so get used to it. And as for all the "hanging from Reed's nuts", etc., grow TF up!

And TheMO, what you need are "Mo" brains.

"Ballard is a better athlete that's the point. This is like saying a guy who 5'3" 230lbs is fitter than a guy who 6'3" 240lbs simply because on an absolute scale he weighs less. Also you are a huge homer, you have contributed little to this board outside of going down on your mancrush reed"

The argument was NOT that either was a better athlete than the other. The argument was that Ballard was "even with or beat Reed in all catagories". When you make posts such as the above, you only put your limitations on public display.
    Last edited by Tucsonpaint; 03-21-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    All you guys---the refuge of the intellectually limited is Ad Hominem. If the Jets are lucky enough to end up with Reed, you're going to see a lot more of me on your boards so get used to it. And as for all the "hanging from Reed's nuts", etc., grow TF up!

"Ballard is a better athlete that's the point. This is like saying a guy who 5'3" 230lbs is fitter than a guy who 6'3" 240lbs simply because on an absolute scale he weighs less. Also you are a huge homer, you have contributed little to this board outside of going down on your mancrush reed"

The argument was NOT that either was a better athlete than the other. The argument was that Ballard was "even with or beat Reed in all catagories". When you make posts such as the above, you only put your limitations on public display.
    OK....come clean - how are you related to Reed? I'd say brother/father, but you are fairly emotional, so perhaps his mother? Whether you are relation or just a UA fan, you may want to settle down a bit.

You've jumped into this thread and tried to create an issue where there is none. In fact, CBNY was literally the first person on this board to tout Reed. He was simply saying that Ballard's numbers were right around Reed's in many areas - nothing so controversial.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Thanks..I'm liking what I'm reading about Ballard..
    you'll like this better- 4.68/sec HT @286lbs today at his pro-day...improved his vert to 34" and 3-cone to 7.15 seconds...bench sucked at 15...

that said the Jets have shown limited interest in him- just spoke with a scouts...ditto for M. Wilkerson- spoke with a Jets scout at the combine but no "official" interview...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow 15 lifts .. That is like a average wideout.. Very disappointing ... Shouldn't that warrant a red flag of him holding P.O.A

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Wow 15 lifts .. That is like a average wideout.. Very disappointing ... Shouldn't that warrant a red flag of him holding P.O.A
    not unless he's trying to hold the point of attack with his hands on the ground and feet in the air....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    "You've jumped into this thread and tried to create an issue where there is none. In fact, CBNY was literally the first person on this board to tout Reed. He was simply saying that Ballard's numbers were right around Reed's in many areas - nothing so controversial. "

Crash, I guess at this point it's semantics. "Ballard beat or was with Reed in all catagories". When in fact Ballard beat Reed in only one out of 7 catagories was what I took issue to. CBNY might as well have said that Ballard was with Reed in the shuttle events too! Yes, I am a Reed fan, but I would take exception to any statement about any two players that I thought was blatantly misleading or false.

I appreciate CBNY's support for Reed and have complemented him on this site for his insider knowledge. That doesn't mean when I think he is wrong or drawing incorrect conclusions that I'm going to give him a pass. That is the ostensible purpose of this type of format---to give people a chance to debate issues, not just follow along with the party line.

Gee 15 reps on the Bench, hunh?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    not unless he's trying to hold the point of attack with his hands on the ground and feet in the air....
    Lol true ... Can Ballard hold up in 3 man fronts is the question...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    "You've jumped into this thread and tried to create an issue where there is none. In fact, CBNY was literally the first person on this board to tout Reed. He was simply saying that Ballard's numbers were right around Reed's in many areas - nothing so controversial. "

Crash, I guess at this point it's semantics. "Ballard beat or was with Reed in all catagories". When in fact Ballard beat Reed in only one out of 7 catagories was what I took issue to. CBNY might as well have said that Ballard was with Reed in the shuttle events too! Yes, I am a Reed fan, but I would take exception to any statement about any two players that I thought was blatantly misleading or false.

I appreciate CBNY's support for Reed and have complemented him on this site for his insider knowledge. That doesn't mean when I think he is wrong or drawing incorrect conclusions that I'm going to give him a pass. That is the ostensible purpose of this type of format---to give people a chance to debate issues, not just follow along with the party line.

Gee 15 reps on the Bench, hunh?
    Fair enough. You got any pearls of wisdom on Ricky Elmore as well? Can he make a transition to 3-4 OLB?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Fair enough. You got any pearls of wisdom on Ricky Elmore as well? Can he make a transition to 3-4 OLB?
    If he does elmore he should do daundre reed as well get all the Arizona ends in there...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Elmore a lot but honestly think his forte will be with his hand on the ground. Pac-10 wise he was a terror, 2011 sack leader, Eg. I don't think his times show the speed that teams are looking for in an OLB (not that he couldn't make that transition) but put 20/30 pounds on Ricky (he's almost 6'5" and real cut at 260) and you'll have a 4-3 DE that leads the league in sacks year after year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    D'Aundry is a kid who would have started at DE on many other Pac-ten teams, but played 4 years at AZ in the shadow of Reed and Elmore. He has a body builder's body---hardly any fat---and coming into the U of A as a LB, had trouble until this year gaining weight. Sometimes he would be down to almost 240 Lbs. Finally, this year he seems to have hit the start of his physical maturity and actually started the last few games of the season. The U of A had a rotation that was designed to keep all DEs fresher, but also meant that nobody got all the time at their postition. Just at the beginning of what he will be when he fully matures, D'Aundry is a goldmine for the team that takes him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you'll like this better- 4.68/sec HT @286lbs today at his pro-day...improved his vert to 34" and 3-cone to 7.15 seconds...bench sucked at 15...

that said the Jets have shown limited interest in him- just spoke with a scouts...ditto for M. Wilkerson- spoke with a Jets scout at the combine but no "official" interview...
    It's just insane the kind of size:speed numbers that are getting put up these days. Thanks for the update!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

So let me ask this...Sorry for all the questions...At this stage of the process - 5+ weeks from the draft - how common/uncommon is it for a team to show interest or in this case little interest but still have the player ranked high on their board? In other words, is this saying the Jets don't rate him high on their board or they just don't want to tip their hand.....

Appreciate the info

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The way you talk about Reed how in gods name is he not in the top 5? And you are going to come to a Jets board only for Reed... fantastic... CBNY's point is that for all the love Reed is getting lately Ballard is as good, if not better, given size considerations. Oh and btw I am going to med school in the fall so I think I am decent on the brains part. Thanks for your concern though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mo, if the Jets are lucky enough to sign Reed, I would probably come on this board at first just for him----after all, he's the only one player that I would know. I live in Tucson---as you might have guessed---and therefore, Reed is the only kid I know that has a fair chance of being selected by your team. After a while, I would get to know other players as you guys do, and be able to keep up a little in the debate over this or that concerning the Jets.

If the Jets don't select Reed, I will probably disappear---except for the times when he sacks Sanchez.

Good luck in Med school, MO!