Thread: WR Drew Hill dies

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

WR Drew Hill dies

ATLANTA, Ga. (AP)—Former NFL wide receiver Drew Hill, a two-time Pro Bowler who was a key part of the Houston Oilers’ famed “Run and Shoot” offense of the 1980s, died at an Atlanta hospital late Friday after suffering two massive strokes, according to his agent.

Piedmont Hospital spokesman Jim Taylor on Saturday confirmed the 54-year-old Hill’s death.

Hill fell ill on a golf course on Thursday and died late Friday after suffering the strokes, said his agent, Jay Mathis of Next Level Management.

AdChoices
    A 12th round pick from Georgia Tech in 1979, Hill played for the Los Angeles Rams from 1979 to 1984, for the Oilers from 1985 to 1991, and for the Atlanta Falcons for the 1992 and 1993 seasons.

“I’m shocked,” former Oilers quarterback Warren Moon told the Houston Chronicle. “I can’t believe it. Drew meant so much to us as a player and as a person. I counted on him so much. He was the consummate professional. It’s just so sad.”

Hill had 634 receptions for 9,831 yards and 60 touchdowns, averaging 15.5 yards per catch, according to NFL.com. He was on Pro Bowl teams in 1998 and 1990 and played in one Super Bowl, Mathis said.

“Drew was a great receiver, one who knew the offense and was always in the right spot,” said Moon, who led the high-powered Oilers offenses that relied on four-receiver sets. “I always knew exactly where Drew would be.”

“He was always cool under pressure,” Moon told the Chronicle.

Hill played 14 seasons in the NFL, and had 60 or more receptions during seven of eight seasons from 1985 to 1992. He also had three years with 70 or more catches and five with 1,000 yards, his management company said.

Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak, the Hall of Famer who played on the offensive line with the Oilers (now the Titans) as Hill’s teammate, said in a statement that his former teammate had guts.

“I played with Drew for a number of years, and he was one of the toughest players I ever played with,” Munchak said. “He wasn’t a big guy, but he wasn’t afraid of anything and loved going over the middle making big catches for us. He was made for our run and shoot system. As a person, he was a quiet guy and a real pro.”

The Newman, Ga. native recently worked as an artist and businessman, and remained active with the Atlanta chapter of the NFL Players Association.

“Atlanta has always been home for him,” Mathis said.

Funeral arrangements will be announced soon.

RIP homie! :eek:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks. A great player and a guy I don't recall ever seeing interviewed. When I read Warren Moon's autobiography I noticed he took great care to name virtually every receiver he played with from pop-warner to Kansas City... yet Drew Hill's name isn't mentioned once (seriously... not once). Pretty strange considering how vital a cog he was during Moon's most successful years. It made me wonder what was up with the quiet, enigmatic Hill. Perhaps I'll never know.

I don't recall the year but Hill made the most amazing catch I've ever witnessed. Trailing against the Bengals late in the game, the Oilers were running the hurry up and driving down the field. Hill ran a short crossing route and Moon fired the ball low and away from him. Hill leaned forward and caught the back half of the ball with his fingertips... it seemed to defy physics as the majority of the ball was passed him and inches from hitting the turf. Truly spectacular. As the clock was running, and it was a pretty short gain there wasn't much time to focus on the catch, but they did sneak in one replay... I honestly don't remember the game's specific outcome, but I do know I have it on tape somewhere, which means the Oilers won (there's no way I'm keeping a tape of the frickin' Bagels beating the Oilers).

RIP 85

[IMG]http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/image_php_873699.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    :rip:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was awesome in nintendo's Tecmo bowl. Regards to the family.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, 54 years old. Right on schedule.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VinnyTestaverde'sNiece;3984127]Wow, 54 years old. Right on schedule.[/QUOTE]

And you think a stroke was caused by football?? Pete Maravich died at age 40 from a heart attack and basketball didn't cause that either.. Including Drew here's a list of former NFL players that have died so far in 2011..

[url]http://www.oldestlivingprofootball.com/20112010necrology.htm[/url]

Look how the ages of some Chargers and how they died..

[url]http://blogs.bettor.com/Former-San-Diego-Chargers-Shawn-Lee-dies-at-the-age-of-44-due-to-cardiac-arrest-a57874[/url]
    Last edited by Savage69; 03-20-2011 at 12:50 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP Drew Hill. A very under-rated player who had a very long and highly productive career.

Hill and Ernest Givens, with Warren Moon throwing to them, were a truly scary combo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3984135]And you think a stroke was caused by football?? Pete Maravich died at age 40 from a heart attack and basketball didn't cause that either.. Including Drew here's a list of former NFL players that have died so far in 2011..

[url]http://www.oldestlivingprofootball.com/20112010necrology.htm[/url]

Look how the ages of some Chargers and how they died..

[url]http://blogs.bettor.com/Former-San-Diego-Chargers-Shawn-Lee-dies-at-the-age-of-44-due-to-cardiac-arrest-a57874[/url][/QUOTE]

How many helmet-to-helmet collisions do NBA players have?

What's the average lifespan of an NBA player?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=beemer;3984201]How many helmet-to-helmet collisions do NBA players have?

What's the average lifespan of an NBA player?[/QUOTE]

Forget the NBA I just put in Maravich because he died young and I said it had nothing to do with basketball.. Alot of those older players played with less equipment and rules.. How many NFL players die of their injuries that are just related to playing football?? You can't factor in car accidents or plane accidents or getting hit by lightning and have that lower the avg age.. Not to mention Drug overdose or gaining so much weight from lack of excercise after their playing days that you have heart problems.. It's the players that go helmet to helmet on themselves it's not required by the way the game is played.. Just like if a person blows his brains out with a gun some people blame the gun..:rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easy to blame the hitting.

Harder, but no less accurate, to ask "what recreational drugs did he do over his life, and did he do steroids, or worse, while playing".

Thats the era of sports we live in, sorry When I hear one dies early, my first thought isn't the hits, it's the Pharmacy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess that the guys dying young are just less virtuous. My mistake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=beemer;3984279]I guess that the guys dying young are just less virtuous. My mistake.[/QUOTE]

There are many factors that contribute to the early deaths.. Some just want to believe it's just one factor football.. The RB that has the most carries in NFL history is Emmitt Smith with over 4400 carries.. He also was so crippled that he won Dancing with the stars in 2006.. Like I said there are many factors football is just one..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3984209]
    Just like if a person blows his brains out with a gun some people blame the gun..:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Jetwanks and sdFIBsetter, among others ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I loved watching this guy play! RIP

I wished he was a Jet back then.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    guys lets not forget DIET.. i mean these guys were eating all this bull**** for so long.. and then they stopped working out and doing their thing after they retired and they just became realllly unhealthy

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very very cool
    [img]http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/j3iR/wind/jeromssummer_flickr_photos_848.gif[/img]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read on a PFT report that he was recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, which I KNOW FOR A FACT can lead to crippling headaches, strokes, and early death, not to mention it is something that can be brought upon by genetics (especially in people of African descent). I should know since it's rampant in my family. If HBP was the cause of death, then no way can his death be linked to football and the hits he absorbed. More than likely it was due to poor diet and nutrition, high sodium intake, and sedentarty lifestyle. Of course you have to factor in any chemicals he may have placed into his body during and even after his career. But to say: "Look, football causes early death! See I told you" is both premature and immature.

Regardless, R.I.P. Drew

Here's the report from PFT: [url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/18/former-pro-bowl-receiver-hospitalized-with-brain-related-condition/[/url]
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 03-21-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dayum, I forgot Merlin Olsen died. And Mosi Tatupu. :(

:rip: