View Poll Results: If both are there at #30, which Iowa DL do you pick?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adrian Clayborn

5 38.46%
  • Christian Ballard

8 61.54%

Thread: Adrian Clayborn or Christian Ballard

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Adrian Clayborn or Christian Ballard

If they are both on the board at the Jets pick (#30), which one would you prefer?

Clayborn - more highly touted, more productive but with some health concerns.

Ballard - highly gifted, good production, but questions over consistency.

If they are both there - possible given Clayborn's health questions - which one do you choose?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ballard IMO has a chance to be a more complete player for the Jets, in both the run and the pass, I also think that you can move him inside as well as outside in the Jets multiple fronts. As we know the Jets are desperate for any type of Pass Rush, and I think Clayborn has a higher upside as a Pass Rusher. So I think the Jets need to resist the Pass Rusher and go for the complete player.... Thanks for the interesting post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Ballard IMO has a chance to be a more complete player for the Jets, in both the run and the pass, I also think that you can move him inside as well as outside in the Jets multiple fronts. As we know the Jets are desperate for any type of Pass Rush, and I think Clayborn has a higher upside as a Pass Rusher. So I think the Jets need to resist the Pass Rusher and go for the complete player.... Thanks for the interesting post
    Good analysis. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm still not sure where I sit - have been debating this one with myself all weekend. I think Clayborn will be the flashier player but, you're right, Ballard probably fits the Jets' D better. Unlikely (though not impossible) that they are both there but would be interesting to see what the Jets do if they did have this choice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

health concerns

apparently Clayborn had Erb's Palsy as a child and could be playing one armed out there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erb%27s_palsy

I think this could not only get him to 30 but even further than that... deep into round 2 or 3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would have been in the minority picking Ballard. Nice to see. Too bad to hear about Clayborn's health issues now. I feel for these guys who start to drop after gettting picked apart by the microscopes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    apparently Clayborn had Erb's Palsy as a child and could be playing one armed out there...

I think this could not only get him to 30 but even further than that... deep into round 2 or 3.
    that's nothing new though. He's always had trouble lifting his arm past a certain level. I'm not suggesting that's not a big deal, but his play, thus far, has been with that ailment. So, it should speak for itself.

IaHawkeyeJet posted a very good comparison of the two a while back.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=11

I've always thought Clayborn was a better 3-4 DE prospect than a 4-3. I think he could play both well at the next level, but I think he could reach his max potential in the 3-4.

I don't think he's the "Pure" Pass Rusher that is needed in a 4-3, as he is not an elite athlete with elite edge speed. In a 3-4, you want more a of a bull at DE, and I think that suits AC more. He has a very high football IQ, which is always a plus, regardless of system.

He is big enough to handle the DE position in the 3-4. While he may not have top end speed, I think one of his biggest attributes is his first step quickness. He gets off the ball very quick. I think one thing that makes him a great fit for the 3-4 is he is very quick off the line, but then he can just lay the hammer on you and bull you over. I've seen more than a few LT's over the past 3 seasons rush to cut him off outside only to get dropped by a bull rush move.

I think he does a great job using his hands and getting off blockers on a consistent basis, which will help him fighting double teams and chips that will come at the position. I've seen some people question his motor, and I don't buy it for one second. I've seen every snap of his career and never have thought he didn't give it his all. He may have had endurance problems this year, but those were made even more apparent because he never relents

I think he'll end up similar to Darnell Dockett if someone drafts him for the 3-4. More than just a run stopper and someone to take up blocks. I wouldn't consider him prototypical 3-4 end, but I wouldn't consider him prototypical 4-3 either. He'll produce against the run and the pass though, wherever he ends up though, I'm certain of that.

As far as Ballard goes, I love his potential. The unfortunate thing is I've loved it for the last 4 years too. He is pretty damn athletic for his size. I wouldn't say he didn't produce, or his production was low, but with his size and athleticism, and playing beside an All-American and 2 other NFL DL prospects, he should have been dominant, and he wasn't, even though he flashed he could be. The plus side is he's only played DL for 4 years, so there is still room for growth, and if he can put it together, he could be nasty
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=13

I think one thing that has always concerned me(and frustrated me as a fan) is that is seems that his repertoire of moves isn't very deep, or he has trouble stringing moves together. I've thought on more than one occasion that he breaks down fundamentally if he doesn't beat his man out right initially. Sometimes it takes him out of plays he should still be in on.

There are some concerns over the nerve damage he suffered in his shoulder at birth, as it doesn't not allow him to full extend one of his arms very well. It has never seemed to be an issue though.

There is also some who think he may have character issues. I personally don't, because the situation probably called for it, but he did assault a cab driver a few years ago.

I think this year his physical conditioning came into question a little bit, because he appeared just absolutely gassed in a lot of Hawkeye games in the 4th quarter.

One last thing, not really a concern I don't think, but not plus either really, is that I've always thought he was a great overall player, none of the singular attributes he possess would be considered elite.
    Last edited by crasherino; 03-21-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I chose Clayborn. It's not like this health issue has suddenly cropped up. He sounds like a smarter, more polished player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

So I am thinking if Clayborn drops, other teams must no something, so being the candy ass guy I am, I'm not sure I would have the courage to draft a guy that's falling like a stone... thats just me....Clayborn dropping to the third round...Ballard and Clayborn in Jet green, I could live with that...
    Impossible ? probably... How about trading down to 40 (Dallas) selecting Ballard, the Cowboys swapping 3rd round picks with the Jets , moving up from 95 to 75 and taking Clayborn...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been pushing Ballard for a long time as the better prospect for our team...and for the most part I believe that...Clayborn's a more tenacious player...Ballard is a bigger, better athlete.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ballard seems like a Shaun Ellis clone... funny thing is, we need a replacement for him soon... go figure...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ballard

Clayborn doesn't strike me as a 5-tech at all. As others have said, Ballard is very comparable to Shaun Ellis who we're going to need to replace very soon.

Ballard would give us a great athlete along the DL who can do a little bit of everything. He's stout against the run, can get pressure, and we can move him inside in passing situations.

If Heyward and Wilkerson are off the board, then Ballard is my #1 choice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i could see a scenario where the jets trade out of the first round, get an extra pick, and still get a guy like ballard in the top 10 picks of round 2. this could allow tanny to trade up in round 3, something he'd be itching to do considering he's got no 2nd rounder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    reading the pro day notes, this is a very serious discussion for the Jets pick.

Clayborn jumped over 35 inches that's a big number. Like the SI.com says both are probably 1st rounders and the Jets could just sit tight and see if either player falls.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me it's Clayborn and it's a no brainer. I've watched them each for 4 years, and in my opinion Clayborn is far and away the better football player. I honestly think if it wasn't for Clayborn getting constant double teams the past 2 years, Ballard's not even in the discussion for a 1st round pick. His production numbers weren't outstanding, but his draft status is elevated by his combine numbers, but if Clayborn wasn't there beside him, his production numbers are even lower.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with Ballard at 30, because he's got potential to be very, very good, but I wouldn't take him ahead of Clayborn.

Clayborn is no slouch athletically either, I believe he had one of the fast shuttle times, if not the fastest at the combine and had a 35 inch vert, and his 40 wasn't terrible either for his size. Couple that with his production, and I think you would have to take him over Ballard.

But again, I'd be happy with either, if only one is there at 30, then take him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    For me it's Clayborn and it's a no brainer. I've watched them each for 4 years, and in my opinion Clayborn is far and away the better football player.
    my concern is that Clayborn, with his arm issues, can only fit really well as a RDE in 4-3. They say his left arm is short and he can't play that side of the line. furthermore we don't know that Clayborn can 5 tech. Ballard could play several positions, 5 tech, 4-3 DT, 3 tech in a cover 2. that that versatility will boost his stock. Clayborn only fits in a very specific role.

speculating more, I've heard that that Pats have Ballard higher than Clayborn on their board.