Thread: New Story: Meet the Prospects: Phil Taylor

New Story: Meet the Prospects: Phil Taylor

[B]FLORHAM PARK, NJ[/B] -- After a weekend where nearly everyone's bracket has been busted, and by everyone's I mean mine, (C'mon Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and my upset special Belmont!) it's time to get back to what I know best. Getting back to the official JetsInsider.com's "Meet the Prospects" segment, it's time to get to know the player draft experts peg as the next New York Jet: Baylor University NT Phil Taylor.

At 334 pounds, Taylor definitely fills the rather gaping void left by the oft-injured Kris Jenkins. And while news has circulated that both the Jets and Jenkins want to get...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/wesley_sykes/?p=713]More...[/url]

All Pro
    From what little I've seen of him, he looks like a good fit for us. Plus, he already looks good in green and white. :D

I dont understand how a player with 2 career sacks can have beating pass blocks under "Strengths"

it doesn't really matter, Tanny isn't gonna draft a dude from Baylor, 1 year after whiffing on a dude from Boise State and Umass. the pick is gonna be Ohio State, Iowa, Miami or some other factory.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;3984858]I dont understand how a player with 2 career sacks can have beating pass blocks under "Strengths"

it doesn't really matter, Tanny isn't gonna draft a dude from Baylor, 1 year after whiffing on a dude from Boise State and Umass.[B] the pick is gonna be Ohio State,[/B] Iowa, Miami or some other factory.[/QUOTE]

Oh like the Ghost?? :P

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3984860]Oh like the Ghost?? :P[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I don't see how some are already saying we whiffed on Wilson and Ducasse.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3984858]I dont understand how a player with 2 career sacks can have beating pass blocks under "Strengths"

it doesn't really matter, Tanny isn't gonna draft a dude from Baylor, 1 year after whiffing on a dude from Boise State and Umass. the pick is gonna be Ohio State, Iowa, Miami or some other factory.[/QUOTE]

baylor has a real football program. they beat texas last year. you can't compare baylor to Umass.

ducasse was drafted with the understanding he wouldn't be ready his rookie year. the more troubling result was wilson.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Savage69;3984860]Oh like the Ghost?? :P[/QUOTE]

:applause:

:D

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RageATL;3984879]Exactly.

I don't see how some are already saying we whiffed on Wilson and Ducasse.[/QUOTE]

Probably the same one's that said we wasted a pick on Pouha.. Some players take awhile to develop.. Like the Tuna used to say; sometimes it takes 3 years to see what you have in a player..

Jets Insider VIP

it doesn't really matter, Tanny isn't gonna draft a dude from Baylor, 1 year after whiffing on a dude from Boise State and Umass. the pick is gonna be Ohio State, Iowa, Miami or some other factory.[/QUOTE]

Sorry BIT that is a low blow even for you! If you like a guy you are always ready to give him years to prove himself. Vlad and Wilson apparently are NOT your type "guys" so you are ready to proclaim them busts without allowing them the chance to get some time under their belts. I hope that they prove you as wrong as can be.

Please draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3984936]Sorry BIT that is a low blow even for you! If you like a guy you are always ready to give him years to prove himself. Vlad and Wilson apparently are NOT your type "guys" so you are ready to proclaim them busts without allowing them the chance to get some time under their belts. I hope that they prove you as wrong as can be.[/QUOTE]

Bit is just being Bit which may be short for bitter and not just his name.. 3 of the top W/R 's have come from schools like Mississippi Valley State, Tennessee-Chattanooga and Marshall.. Rice,TO, and Moss..

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3984936]Sorry BIT that is a low blow even for you! If you like a guy you are always ready to give him years to prove himself. Vlad and Wilson apparently are NOT your type "guys" so you are ready to proclaim them busts without allowing them the chance to get some time under their belts. I hope that they prove you as wrong as can be.[/QUOTE]

and yet, he continues to defend teh Ghost to this day...

[IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/mg-078.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Savage69;3984959]Bit is just being Bit which may be short for bitter and not just his name.. 3 of the top W/R 's have come from schools like Mississippi Valley State, Tennessee-Chattanooga and Marshall.. Rice,TO, and Moss..[/QUOTE]

but tanny's success has come from the bigger programs. even later round guys like leon, brad smith and matt slauson were from big programs. throw in brick, mangold, sanchez and even revis to the mix. then look at wilson and ducasse in their rookie years. i happen to agree, that at least the first 2 picks of this draft will be from bigger programs.

there are teams without a starter at NT, the Jets have Pouha. They need to replace Shaun Ellis, Jason Taylor and probably Bryan Thomas. Maybe even Cro. We will see how the offseason shapes up. But NT is not as dire need. Kansas City, Buffalo and Washington don't even have nose tackles.

looking deeper at last year the best picks were arguably Conner and McKnight... SEC and Pac10 schools. ACC, Big East, Big 10 and Big 12 that's where the pick is gonna be this year.

every year besides last year he took from football factories with good success.

Baylor I'd compare similar to Boise State... Does Tanny have the guts for another mid major late first rounder? Nothing against Phil Taylor it's just not gonna happen. If Phil Taylor stayed at Penn State maybe.

Muhammed Wilkerson I wonder if Tanny has the guts for that pick as well. these could be 2 great players I don't think Tanny has the guts to take either.

Gholston went to Ohio State, so did Mangold and Santonio. How many all-pros from Boise State?