Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long shot risk by the owners

Long shot risk by the owners

And here is a risk, though a long shot, but crazier things have happened.

If the NFL is dark, watch out for the Donald Trumps and Mark Cubans of the world joinimg forces with the players on forming a rival league, WHILE THE NFL IS DARK. Plus, couple the NFL's response with anti-trust risk.

Now, no chnace of success while the NFL is playing. But what happens if there is no NFL in September and The Donald has some games?

Veteran
    How long would it take to get a league off the ground? Is there even enough lead time for fall games if they started right now?

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3984812]And here is a risk, though a long shot, but crazier things have happened.

If the NFL is dark, watch out for the Donald Trumps and Mark Cubans of the world joinimg forces with the players on forming a rival league, WHILE THE NFL IS DARK. Plus, couple the NFL's response with anti-trust risk.

Now, no chnace of success while the NFL is playing. But what happens if there is no NFL in September and The Donald has some games?[/QUOTE]

Without ESPN, NFL Network, CBS, NBC, and Direct tv, there is no other league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3984812]And here is a risk, though a long shot, but crazier things have happened.

Now, no chnace of success while the NFL is playing. But what happens if there is no NFL in September and The Donald has some games?[/QUOTE]

You think the star players are going to play for the chump change a new league would pay??? Trump had the Jersey Generals how did that work out??

All League

It won't work b/c the NFL teams control all the stadiums in the best cities and will do so for years. For example, a new "Pro" team in the:
    1) NY area would probably get stuck playing at Yankee Stadium or Rutgers Stadium.
    2) Dallas - Cotton Bowl - obsolete for the Pro game 30 years ago
    3) Chicago - Wrigley/Comiskey/Illinois??
    4) Boston - Where?

[QUOTE=NYJ37/12;3984852]Without ESPN, NFL Network, CBS, NBC, and Direct tv, there is no other league.[/QUOTE]

Anti-trust? Esp. with the NFL dark.

Maybe they play on Oprah's and Turner's channels. They own teams too in my imaginary league.
    Last edited by Heynowguy; 03-21-2011 at 06:41 PM.

[QUOTE=Digetydog;3985054]It won't work b/c the NFL teams control all the stadiums in the best cities and will do so for years. For example, a new "Pro" team in the:
    1) NY area would probably get stuck playing at Yankee Stadium or Rutgers Stadium.
    2) Dallas - Cotton Bowl - obsolete for the Pro game 30 years ago
    3) Chicago - Wrigley/Comiskey/Illinois??
    4) Boston - Where?[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. By owning stadiums, the NFL has a big "moat", as Moorningstar calls it.

I think Yankee stadium and Rutgers may not be bad choices. I have not been to the other stadiums, so I can't say. Are there college stadiums available?

[QUOTE=Savage69;3984857]You think the star players are going to play for the chump change a new league would pay??? Trump had the Jersey Generals how did that work out??[/QUOTE]

Generals failed when they went head-to-head with the NFL. I'm talking the NFL is dark.

Structure the deal like this. All the Jets are on the New Generals roster, they even have green uniforms. The ownership of the team is split 50-50, Donald and players. They play at Rutgers. It's on TNT or TBS or Oprah, who cares what channel. It's September and the NFL is closed. I guess I'm watching Sanchez and the Generals vs. Eli and the NY Midgets because Bloomberg owns that team and they play at Yankee stadium. I'm buying tix, no PSL. Sounds like fun.

Plus I'm joining that class action suit for my PSL money, some politican was pushing for RICO too, saying the owners colaborated to rip me off.
    Last edited by Heynowguy; 03-21-2011 at 06:42 PM.

[QUOTE=beemer;3984846]How long would it take to get a league off the ground? Is there even enough lead time for fall games if they started right now?[/QUOTE]

You make a good point here. But guys like Cuban and Donald didn't become gazillionaires by not maiking things happen fast. Maybe the league starts in November. Plus they call it the American Football League, Sanchez grows a Fumanchu and the refs wearr read striped shirts. I'm in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3985071] [B]Generals failed when they went head-to-head with the NFL.[/B] I'm talking the NFL is dark.

Structure the deal like this. All the Jets are on the New Generals roster, they even have green uniforms. The ownership of the team is split 50-50, Donald and players. They play at Rutgers. It's on TNT or TBS or Oprah, who cares what channel. It's September and the NFL is closed. I guess I'm watching Sanchez and the Generals vs. Eli and the NY Midgets because Bloomberg owns that team and they play at Yankee stadium. I'm buying tix, no PSL. Sounds like fun.

Plus I'm joining that class action suit for my PSL money, some politican was pushing for RICO too, saying the owners colaborated to rip me off.[/QUOTE]

They played in the spring and summer how is that head to head?? No way would Trump give the players 50/50 he's not crazy.. Plus I think this gets settled because the big money players don't want to lose any of their money..

[QUOTE=Savage69;3985077]They played in the spring and summer how is that head to head?? No way would Trump give the players 50/50 he's not crazy.. Plus I think this gets settled because the big money players don't want to lose any of their money..[/QUOTE]

The year they folded, they moved to a fall schedule that never got off the ground beacuse of the TV problem.

Now there are a lot more TV channels.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3985083]The year they folded, they moved to a fall schedule that never got off the ground beacuse of the TV problem.

Now there are a[B] lot more TV channels[/B].[/QUOTE]

There was a crap load of channels in the 80's at least there was on my TV.. They failed because they sucked..:yes:

[QUOTE=Savage69;3985094]There was a crap load of channels in the 80's at least there was on my TV.. They failed because they sucked..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Per Wikipedia

The United States Football League (USFL) was an American football league which was in active operation from 1983 to 1987. It played a spring/summer schedule in its first three seasons and a traditional autumn/winter schedule was set to commence before league operations ceased.

The USFL had notable successes: three consecutive Heisman Award winners: Georgia running back Herschel Walker and Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie signed with the New Jersey Generals and Nebraska running back Mike Rozier signed with the Pittsburgh Maulers out of college. Additionally, future Pro Football Hall of Fame members defensive end Reggie White of the University of Tennessee and quarterbacks Jim Kelly of the University of Miami and Steve Young of Brigham Young University, began their professional careers with the USFL's Memphis Showboats, Houston Gamblers, and Los Angeles Express, respectively.

All League
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;3985126]Per Wikipedia

The United States Football League (USFL) was an American football league which was in active operation from 1983 to 1987. It played a spring/summer schedule in its first three seasons and a traditional autumn/winter schedule was set to commence before league operations ceased.

The USFL had notable successes: three consecutive Heisman Award winners: Georgia running back Herschel Walker and Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie signed with the New Jersey Generals and Nebraska running back Mike Rozier signed with the Pittsburgh Maulers out of college. Additionally, future Pro Football Hall of Fame members defensive end Reggie White of the University of Tennessee and quarterbacks Jim Kelly of the University of Miami and Steve Young of Brigham Young University, began their professional careers with the USFL's Memphis Showboats, Houston Gamblers, and Los Angeles Express, respectively.[/QUOTE]

Vince McMahon's XFL had "He Hate Me!"

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3985126]Per Wikipedia

The USFL had notable successes: three consecutive Heisman Award winners: Georgia running back Herschel Walker and Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie signed with the New Jersey Generals and Nebraska running back Mike Rozier signed with the Pittsburgh Maulers out of college. Additionally, future Pro Football Hall of Fame members defensive end Reggie White of the University of Tennessee and quarterbacks Jim Kelly of the University of Miami and Steve Young of Brigham Young University, began their professional careers with the USFL's Memphis Showboats, Houston Gamblers, and Los Angeles Express, respectively.[/QUOTE]
    Where did it say they failed because of lack of tv chanels?? Notable sucess was signing top college players?? How about getting great ratings when they played??

[QUOTE=Savage69;3985216]Where did it say they failed because of lack of tv chanels?? Notable sucess was signing top college players?? How about getting great ratings when they played??[/QUOTE]

I get what you say,the USFL was a failure, I agree. my point is the USFL vs the NFL was a failure. A new league vs. a dark NFL, who knows?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3985071]Generals failed when they went head-to-head with the NFL. I'm talking the NFL is dark.

Structure the deal like this. [B]All the Jets are on the New Generals roster, they even have green uniforms.[/B] The ownership of the team is split 50-50, Donald and players. They play at Rutgers. It's on TNT or TBS or Oprah, who cares what channel. It's September and the NFL is closed. I guess I'm watching Sanchez and the Generals vs. Eli and the NY Midgets because Bloomberg owns that team and they play at Yankee stadium. I'm buying tix, no PSL. Sounds like fun.

Plus I'm joining that class action suit for my PSL money, some politican was pushing for RICO too, saying the owners colaborated to rip me off.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they would be able to take players that are already under contract.

[QUOTE=petejet;3985350]I don't think they would be able to take players that are already under contract.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see how a player can be bound to a contract that doesn't pay him because he is locked out.

Also, let's rememeber, the penalty for anitrust is triple damages. Imagine if the NFL loses, they have to pay the players three times their contracts.

One more thing. The NFL lost two anti-trust cases. The recent one on uniforms. But also, the lost the USFL anti-trust case, but the court decided there was no damages. Here, if they lock Mananing out and don't pay him, the damages are the dollars in his contract, times 3.

Most people would associate their feelings on this with failed leagues such as the XFL, and subsequently not care. By the time it would be up and running, the NFL would be back.

Hall Of Fame
    Obviously I want the best players but I must say, the whole idea of replacements is not all of that offensive to me this time around. I think we have a GM who will work the system rather and one who got worked over by the system as we did last time.

Bring on the replacements.