Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFC East Rumors: C Palmer to Fin? Pats trading #28 pick?

All League

AFC East Rumors: C Palmer to Fin? Pats trading #28 pick?

some football [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/202015/report-patriots-shopping-no-28-overall-pick"]rumors[/URL] per roto to discuss:

[B]Report: Carson Palmer tops Dolphins' QB list[/B]

Carson Palmer is on top of the Dolphins' list of veteran quarterbacks to go after, according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero.

The Bengals and Palmer are in a stalemate right now, with the team saying they won't grant the quarterback's trade request. But the Dolphins apparently view Palmer as a better option than names like Kevin Kolb, Vince Young and Kyle Orton among others. Regardless, we're not so sure the rapidly declining Palmer would make sense for the Dolphins. They're probably better off drafting a quarterback and using Chad Henne as a bridge.

[B]Report: Patriots shopping No. 28 overall pick[/B]

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, "word is" the Patriots are already shopping the No. 28 overall pick in the draft.

The Pats have two first-round picks and two second-rounders, and a long history of moving all over the draft board in an effort to acquire even more. The Union-Trib notes Chargers GM A.J. Smith's "history of partnering with Belichick" in draft-weekend trades, and reports that "the idea (of moving to No. 28) is intriguing" to Smith. New England's pick at No. 33 overall is also likely in play, but may not officially be until the first round is over on the night of April 28 and morning of April 29.

[B]Could Brad Smith not be worth as much w/Kick Off Rule Changes?[/B]

[B]REPORT:[/B] If the Competition Committee's special teams proposals are agreed upon, however, [I]kick returners will have much less value not only in real life,[/I] but in return-yardage leagues as well. [I]Touchbacks will be easier to come by.[/I]

Would you guys be concerned if Carson Palmer potentially ended up in Miami to play catch w/Brandon Marshall & Devon Bess (Jets killer). Behind a healthy defense that is pretty solid, Miami's Offense w/a reinvigorated Palmer could take another step forward. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-21-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Palmer is 31 and has had a boat load of injuries the last five, six years.

However, a change of scenery might be exactly what he needs to perform at an elite level again. However, he was only playing at an elite level for a small period of time, so he may just be an average, to a little bit above average QB who just can't seem to tie up all his talent together.

It would be a great pick-up for Miami either way though, because Chad Henne is a back-up at best in the NFL, despite what he's done against the Jets.

[QUOTE=124;3985041]Palmer is 31 and has had a boat load of injuries the last five, six years.

However, a change of scenery might be exactly what he needs to perform at an elite level again. However, he was only playing at an elite level for a small period of time, so he may just be an average, to a little bit above average QB who just can't seem to tie up all his talent together.

It would be a great pick-up for Miami either way though, because Chad Henne is a back-up at best in the NFL, despite what he's done against the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Carson Palmer on the Dolphins terrifies me. I think he can still be a top QB, and I would much prefer that their QB remain Chad Henne.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3985044]I would much prefer that their QB remain Chad Henne.[/QUOTE]

So would I, but lets not act like they're looking to trade for Drew Brees here.

They still have no ground game, because Ronnie Brown is 29 and over-rated, and Ricky Williams is on the verge of retirement. Neither will be back in Miami. Better hope Mark Ingram learns quickly.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=124;3985045]So would I, but lets not act like they're looking to trade for Drew Brees here.

They still have no ground game, because Ronnie Brown is 29 and over-rated, and Ricky Williams is on the verge of retirement. Neither will be back in Miami. Better hope Mark Ingram learns quickly.[/QUOTE]

never mind the fact that unless the lockout ends soon any trade for Palmer or another QB for that matter, is likely to be a washout in the first year for a variety of reasons....

All League
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3985038]some football [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/202015/report-patriots-shopping-no-28-overall-pick"]rumors[/URL] per roto to discuss:

[B]Report: Carson Palmer tops Dolphins' QB list[/B]

Carson Palmer is on top of the Dolphins' list of veteran quarterbacks to go after, according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero.

The Bengals and Palmer are in a stalemate right now, with the team saying they won't grant the quarterback's trade request. But the Dolphins apparently view Palmer as a better option than names like [B]Kevin Kolb[/B] :huh:[/QUOTE]

I'd rather see the Phish pick up an old Palmer than Kolb.

All Pro
    There is about a 2% chance that NE actually picks in the slots they currently are scheduled to. This is clearly speculation that the trade partner is going to be SD... they also have history making deals with a number of other teams. I'm sure BB will do business with anyone if he thinks the numbers work out in his favor.

As for Palmer, I'd be a little worried about him coming to the division... but not too much. Sanchez is better.

[QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;3985051]I'd rather see the Phish pick up an old Palmer than Kolb.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Kolb is going to be anything good, and any team that gives up a high pick for him is making a big mistake.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 03-21-2011 at 06:23 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;3985051]I'd rather see the Phish pick up an old Palmer than Kolb.[/QUOTE]

Really? Kolb seems like a system quarterback and reminds me of Dave Klinger (draft reach QB to replace old veteran) who in the end loses his job to a bench player (Blake in Klinger's case, Vick in Kolb's).

Palmer is a talented QB that never had a solid group around him, and when they finally did, he blew his knee in '05 in what was arguably the best team he's been on with Cincy. Kolb has not impressed me much to think he's better than Palmer. I'd take an old vetted QB like Palmer than Kolb any day of the week. Joe Montana did pretty well in the twilight of his career with the Chiefs after SF dumped him.

there is no trade market without a CBA

only picks for picks.

the longer this labor stuff goes on the greater the chance these QB's stay on their teams

All League
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3985086][B]there is no trade market without a CBA [/B]

only picks for picks.

the longer this labor stuff goes on the greater the chance these QB's stay on their teams[/QUOTE]

No $hit! :D

We all know that, the point of this thread & topic is to just discuss football.

Might as well live in the hypothetical world and discuss IF IT WERE TO BECOME A REALITY, just curious what other Jets fans think of it. All this is OBVIOUSLY disregarding the current state of the NFL, but if it were to be resolved it is a definite possibility.

What's your take Bit? [B]Would you consider the Dolphins[/B] (who beat us 10-6 in the last match-up) [B]with the addition of Palmer[/B] (and one could argue [B]possibly Mark Ingram[/B] to improve their current the run-game) [B]& healthy defense be a formidable team that could compete for the AFC East division?[/B]

Obviously another factor is what OUR team looks like after this entire mess, but assuming 90% of the 2010 Jets roster returns.

Veteran
    I would rather Palmer goes to the fins over Ortin. Look what he did with Marshall in Denver and even with out Marshall Ortin was pretty damn good.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3985044]Carson Palmer on the Dolphins terrifies me. I think he can still be a top QB, and I would much prefer that their QB remain Chad [B]Pennington[/B].[/QUOTE]

FIXED!;)

[QUOTE=bitonti;3985086]there is no trade market without a CBA

only picks for picks.

the longer this labor stuff goes on the greater the chance these QB's stay on their teams[/QUOTE]

Yes there is. Some team will trade a future number 1 for that 28. Bill Bellichik will get more ammo the following year.

Jets Insider VIP
    The bungels have already said there is zero chance they trade Palmer. They have went as far as to say he can retire before he gets traded. So this is a moot point as if palmer wants to play qb, its gonna be for the bungles.

Palmer to the 'Phins would suck. We saw how Pennington did in Miami with it's fine weather, invisible income tax,, and decent talent. Palmer's injuries aren't/weren't worse than Pennington's were, and at 31 he's entirely capable of throwing up a few decent seasons.

It'd make 2012 more interesting than Sanchez vs. Henne...

[QUOTE=Much ado about Nothing;3985220]Palmer to the 'Phins would suck. We saw how Pennington did in Miami with it's fine weather, invisible income tax,, and decent talent. Palmer's injuries aren't/weren't worse than Pennington's were, and at 31 he's entirely capable of throwing up a few decent seasons.

It'd make 2012 more interesting than Sanchez vs. Henne...[/QUOTE]

I for one wouldn't be concerned with Palmer on the Dolphins, even if they picked up someone like Ingram or Ryan Williams as well.

I don't know why anyone should be afraid. Plain and simple, Carson Palmer is not anywhere near the QB he used to be and I don't see him ever returning to that level. I really think the combination of the Kimo ACL tear and the Tommy John surgery have done him in, particularly the latter. Sure he looked admirable through the majority of 2009 leading close win after close win over divison foes, but since the end of '09 his arm has looked pretty tired. He lost a lot of zip on his throws, not quite a Pennington level, but he's exhibited some poor decision-making to top it off.

Re: Palmer's stats last year...those are the epitome of a baseball slugger who hits half his homers when the team is down by 8 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning.

The 2009 Bengals were a carbon copy of the Dolphins in recent years, and we beat those mofos twice, including the playoffs. It'd make the Fins competitive for sure, but I don't see them competing for division titles with Palmer at the helm. Lastly, between the Dolphins ostensibly tipping their hand and the Bengals being stubborn/demanding too much, the premise of this thread would indicate the Fins gave up significant pick(s) to get him.

All League
    [QUOTE=Rexipus Rex;3985233]I for one wouldn't be concerned with Palmer on the Dolphins, even if they picked up someone like Ingram or Ryan Williams as well.

I don't know why anyone should be afraid. Plain and simple, Carson Palmer is not anywhere near the QB he used to be and I don't see him ever returning to that level. I really think the combination of the Kimo ACL tear and the Tommy John surgery have done him in, particularly the latter. Sure he looked admirable through the majority of 2009 leading close win after close win over divison foes, but since the end of '09 his arm has looked pretty tired. He lost a lot of zip on his throws, not quite a Pennington level, but he's exhibited some poor decision-making to top it off.

Re: Palmer's stats last year...those are the epitome of a baseball slugger who hits half his homers when the team is down by 8 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning.

The 2009 Bengals were a carbon copy of the Dolphins in recent years, and we beat those mofos twice, including the playoffs. It'd make the Fins competitive for sure, but I don't see them competing for division titles with Palmer at the helm. Lastly, between the Dolphins ostensibly tipping their hand and the Bengals being stubborn/demanding too much, the premise of this thread would indicate the Fins gave up significant pick(s) to get him.[/QUOTE]

DAMN good post. The points you make definitely strengthen the argument that, as others posted, his addition to the 'fins would improve them but not put them at a REAL contender level.

I do recall his '09 game against us in the Wildcard was pretty abysmal and could have been a sign of his decline. Perhaps he is washed up, who knows. I recall when Daunte Culpepper signed w/the Fins and I thought he'd put them back on top. I was DEAD wrong. If Carson were to go to the fins, I'd hope he turns out more like Daunte and the Inferno of the 2006 Dolphins

[QUOTE=Raider9175;3985158]Yes there is. Some team will trade a future number 1 for that 28. Bill Bellichik will get more ammo the following year.[/QUOTE]

Well if your trading a #1 this year you better get a #1 next year. :P,

If Quinn is still there, I am thinking that the Pats trading partners will be Detroit and the Vikings, At 17 the Lions could go the 3rd best corner and at 28 either LT or LB

The lions biggest needs are CB, LB and LT there is no one at 12 at those positions that they could not get at 17 and 28. but by 44 the top 5 corners and LTs, will be long gone. Scwartz worked with BB in Cleveland so they have a relationship

The vikings could drop to 17 and still get a top player like Taylor to take the place of Williams then at 28 pick a qb, before Arizona, Buffalo, Cinci, Tenn all of whom pick before them in the 2nd.

[QUOTE=patman;3985311]Well if your trading a #1 this year you better get a #1 next year. :P,

If Quinn is still there, I am thinking that the Pats trading partners will be Detroit and the Vikings, At 17 the Lions could go the 3rd best corner and at 28 either LT or LB

The lions biggest needs are CB, LB and LT there is no one at 12 at those positions that they could not get at 17 and 28. but by 44 the top 5 corners and LTs, will be long gone. Scwartz worked with BB in Cleveland so they have a relationship

The vikings could drop to 17 and still get a top player like Taylor to take the place of Williams then at 28 pick a qb, before Arizona, Buffalo, Cinci, Tenn all of whom pick before them in the 2nd.[/QUOTE]

Well the point is your rolling the dice that number 1 could be alot higher than 28. ( thats closer to second round) You could get a player that you have no business getting in the 2012 draft.(maybe youi get lucky and the pick somewhere in top five) Patriots have so many picks and what the chances all those picks are going to make the roster..

The Patriots could trade back #28 into the early second(acquiring more picks) while getting a future number 1 pick.

This way you acquire another first you have more

Jets Insider VIP
    lol at anyone scared of the fins getting Palmer.

Did you guys not see how he performed the last 3 games against us?