Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: 7-ROUND JETS MOCK DRAFT with a big trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow 7-ROUND JETS MOCK DRAFT with a big trade.

Ok, I'm not going to get into any free agent stuff because the league is a mess right now(but I do see Ellis and Big Jenks back). So with that said let me take my first swing at the draft.

I'm on the Brooks Reed train as well. As we all watched in the playoff games you must get pressure on the QB. I think Justin Houston has a chance to be around at #30 and I love his first step but I just love the way Reed keeps coming after the QB. His nonstop motor is something you really can't teach. With the cover CBs we have a guy that never stops will get some sacks, big hits and forced fumbles from QBs holding on to the ball to long. I could care less if he ever drops into coverage as long as he gets his ass to the QB and is pissed when he gets there.

*************** TRADE ***************

I know I will catch heat for this but if Rex thinks we are winning the super bowl this year that means we are picking #32 in 2012. So why not roll the dice on a player with a first round grade that slips into the early 2nd round? He can come in and help us win THIS YEAR. So the Jets trade their first round pick in 2012 to Dallas for the #40 pick in the 2nd round of this years draft. Jerry Jones takes a gamble in the hope the Jets stumble and the pick in 2012 is in the 15-20 range and not at the bottom of round one. The Seahawks made the same kind of trade with Denver in 2009 and the Hawks walked away with #14 in the first round of the 2010 draft.

With the 40th pick in the 2nd round the Jets take STEPHEN PAEA: DT OREGON ST. 6'1 305LBS. In a little bit of a shocker the Jets take a DT who most would think does not fit their system. But again this is a pick that is all about PRESSURE!!! I love this kid. Like Reed in the first round Paea brings great effort all game long. He collapses the pocket and makes QBs throw on the move. Blows up blocking schemes with his quick first step and meets the RB in the backfield. I see the need for a player like him because of the quick passing game of the Pats. They want to throw it fast so you need to get to him fast. Paea will get in the QBs face in a hurry. As we all know the Pats throw,alot. So instead of hoping guys like Ellis,Pouha or a all out blitz with Harris and Scott up the middle get to the passer, the Jets hope the Tongan fire hydrant is planting passers on their backs for a long time to come.
    (I might swing this trade for one of the good 5-tech DEs if they slip to this spot. Heyward,Clayborn,Wilkerson)

ROUND #3. JAIQUAWN JARRETT: SAFETY TEMPLE. 5'11 200LBS. Plays the run very well and can drop down and play on a slot WR.

ROUND #4. JALIL BROWN: CB COLORADO. 6'0 203LBS. Big CB with good man to man skills. Quick player who can also hang with the water bug slot wideouts in the AFC EAST.

ROUND #5. CEDRIC THORNTON: DT-DE SO.ARKANSAS. 6'3 300LBS. Has good feet for a 300 pounder. Could play inside on passing downs.

ROUND #6. ALEX HENERY: PK-P NEBRASKA. 6'1 180LBS. Glad to see his name in many Jets fans mock draft. Has made big kicks in his time at NU. A clutch player who with a little help from Westy could also be our punter.

ROUND #7. JAH REID: OT UCF. 6'7 325LBS. A good player who could slip a little because right now he is a right tackle only. Nasty player who would fit right in with our ground and pound.

So after offense heavy drafts and trades that have brought us our WRs. Rex finally gets his hands on alot of fresh blood on defense . Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by VERMONT JET; 03-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gutsy move that is for sure. I'd have to think about it for a while but the Jets have really taken a 'want to win now' attitude and have traded up often. I would not be totally opposed to trading next years 1st but I'm not sure I'd do it for paea. I like some of the other positions and players you have addressed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Gutsy move that is for sure. I'd have to think about it for a while but the Jets have really taken a 'want to win now' attitude and have traded up often. I would not be totally opposed to trading next years 1st but I'm not sure I'd do it for paea. I like some of the other positions and players you have addressed.
    I think I would also want it for something closer to the first than #40. i understand if its the top of the second, but thats closer to mid second and for a first I'm not sure its worth it. Jets would really have to love someone and IDK if Paea is that person, but I guess we shall see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a big fan of Paea in this D...two more DBs sounds like alot but I could see it happening...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Not a big fan of Paea in this D...two more DBs sounds like alot but I could see it happening...
    It may seem like alot but Pool,Smith,Cro and Coleman are all free agents. So you would think atleast two of them might not be back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Teams may trade future draft picks ďat [their] own riskĒ

Teams may trade future draft picks ďat [their] own riskĒ

Until the lockout is resolved, players canít be traded. Draft picks can be traded.

Future draft picks, beyond 2011, also can be traded. But an ominous caveat comes from ESPNís Chris Mortensen.

Per Mort, the league has advised teams that any trades of draft picks beyond 2011 will occur ďat [their] own risk

In other words, there may not be a draft in 2012.

That would be one potential outcome of the current Brady antitrust litigation. Though the case does not yet directly attack the draft itself since the labor agreement expressly contemplates that a draft will be held in 2011, we explained when the lawsuit was filed that the case could be amended in the future to include a member of the 2012 draft class, with a specific allegation that the draft violates antitrust laws.

And, frankly, it quite possibly does. Assuming the decertification of the union sticks, an effort by 32 separate companies to divvy up incoming workers easily runs afoul of the antitrust laws.

That said, if the players ultimately take away the draft from the NFL, the players will be taking away the draft from the fans. And that would be a P.R. nightmare for the men who play the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...heir-own-risk/

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

I just wanted to bump this to see if I could get a little more feedback before trying another mock. Good or bad feel free to comment. Thanks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    I just wanted to bump this to see if I could get a little more feedback before trying another mock. Good or bad feel free to comment. Thanks
    Good choice of Jah Read, I had him going to the Jets in my last mock as well though I've heard his value is rising and he will not be there that late. As I said earlier I would not be 100% opposed to trading next years #1 but I don't know if Paea is good enough to make that move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paea is not a guy I'd use 2012 picks on still...there really might only be 2-3...Jordan...Quinn depending on how his draft day goes....
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-11-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't make this trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

My point on the trade is that if Rex comes through you are talking about the last pick in round one 2012. But if not you are still looking at a very low pick as long as we play the way we should.

With Paea,I see the 3rd down inside passrusher we don't have. I hate watching Pouah,Ellis and our other Dlinemen trying to get rush up the middle on passing downs. If Paea does not hurt his knee he is a lock to be a top 20 pick IMO. So you are trading what should be the last pick in the 1st round of the 2012 draft for a player with top 20 talent that can help you win this year.

Thanks for the feedback.