Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Panthers dropping Hints for #1?

All League

Carolina Panthers dropping Hints for #1?

Per Schefter:

The Panthers have distributed playbooks to Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, and Ryan Mallett, and plan to quiz each of them on the inner workings of Rob Chudzinski's offense during their upcoming visits.

The Panthers privately worked out all three of the quarterbacks last week, and are expected to host each of them in Charlotte at some point next month. Full grasp of the playbook won't be a deal maker or breaker, but it would be nice for each of the QBs to show they've been putting in time. For what it's worth, Gabbert has the best Wonderlic Score (31) of the bunch.

Related: Panthers, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Mar 21, 4:52 PM

Mallet?!?!?!?!?!?

They CAN NOT be considering him with #1 overall? Maybe trade down for Mallet? Take him in the 2nd round?

Anyone think the Panthers could attempt the heist the Chargers pulled in 2001? Traded down from #1 overall to draft Franchise RB @ #5 Overall (Tomlinson) and then pick the QB (Brees) that requires some development at the top of Round 2 / bottom Round 1??

I don't see why not. Mallett's the same size, rocket arm and better stats much better TD:int than Ballard. Plus SEC vs. Big 12...just saying, should it be that crazy he's part of the mix?

Is it common for teams to distribute playbooks to draft eligible QB's? I don't believe I've heard of this happening before, but I also wouldn't expect it to contain much more than the "vanilla" offense just in case.

Have you watched Mallet? Can't stand when people make those criticisms based off of mocks that people are making but have no clue. Panthers correctly aren't doing things based on popular opinion but trusting their scouts and trying to pick the best player.

All Pro
    Unless Mallett suddenly learned how to win a game in the 4th quarter instead of pissing it away, I can't see how he can be considered for this pick.

If there's a such thing as an "it" factor, this dude has the opposite.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Have you watched Mallet? Can't stand when people make those criticisms based off of mocks that people are making but have no clue. Panthers correctly aren't doing things based on popular opinion but trusting their scouts and trying to pick the best player.
    Nothing wrong with Due Diligence, and I'm NOT basing my opinion on Mallett according to "people's mocks," but he seems a bit too much of a risk at #1 overall. I think he's a 1st round talent (I followed him his freshman year a bit b/c I do follow UM and its players), but seems a bit of a head case to be an effective FRANCHISE QB. No question he's a player, but I'm not sure he's a LEADER. Not to mention he already has had a concussion ("Mallett never returned after taking a blow to the head. Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said that Mallett suffered a concussion. When Mallett can return is uncertain.") that adds more risk in addition to his, IMO, slightly wonky attitude.

Mallett had a kick ass combine to boot. I think he's worth being in the discussion.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Unless Mallett suddenly learned how to win a game in the 4th quarter instead of pissing it away, I can't see how he can be considered for this pick.

If there's a such thing as an "it" factor, this dude has the opposite.
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Due Diligence, and I'm NOT basing my opinion on Mallett according to "people's mocks," but he seems a bit too much of a risk at #1 overall. I think he's a 1st round talent (I followed him his freshman year a bit b/c I do follow UM and its players), but seems a bit of a head case to be an effective FRANCHISE QB. No question he's a player, but I'm not sure he's a LEADER. Not to mention he already has had a concussion ("Mallett never returned after taking a blow to the head. Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said that Mallett suffered a concussion. When Mallett can return is uncertain.") that adds more risk in addition to his, IMO, slightly wonky attitude.
    Come on man really, because he's had a concussion? Him being a head case is by far the best reason I've seen.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Come on man really, because he's had a concussion? Him being a head case is by far the best reason I've seen.
    C'Mon man WHAT?!?!

read the post. where do I say BECAUSE he's had a concussion that he's not #1 worthy? WHICH HE IS NOT.

I include that as a potential red-flag factor, but it's NOT the SOLE reason, but for some teams it may be a material concern.

My argument is, and MIKE is HOT concurred, that he lacks an "it" factor and just isn't a leader (ie 4th Qtr Comebacks, etc). You agree that he's a head case. So with ALL those separate FACTORS contemplated, HOW can you make a convincing argument that Mallett -physical talent aside - is worth risking TOP #1 overall $$$$ (even if there is a rookie pay scale) and making the face of your franchise?

C'Mon man!!! make a better argument to the contrary and don't skew my argument due to your misunderstanding

Per Schefter:

The Panthers have distributed playbooks to Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, and Ryan Mallett, and plan to quiz each of them on the inner workings of Rob Chudzinski's offense during their upcoming visits.

The Panthers privately worked out all three of the quarterbacks last week, and are expected to host each of them in Charlotte at some point next month. Full grasp of the playbook won't be a deal maker or breaker, but it would be nice for each of the QBs to show they've been putting in time. For what it's worth, Gabbert has the best Wonderlic Score (31) of the bunch.

Related: Panthers, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Mar 21, 4:52 PM

Mallet?!?!?!?!?!?

They CAN NOT be considering him with #1 overall? Maybe trade down for Mallet? Take him in the 2nd round?

Anyone think the Panthers could attempt the heist the Chargers pulled in 2001? Traded down from #1 overall to draft Franchise RB @ #5 Overall (Tomlinson) and then pick the QB (Brees) that requires some development at the top of Round 2 / bottom Round 1??
    Doesn't the Patriots own the Panthers second round pick?????>???

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Yes they do.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Well, if they trade down a few spots (mimicking SD in 2001, like I suggested) it's possible they could acquire a 2nd rounder OR EVEN trade for the Pats' #28 overall.

Point is, I don't see why a team would take him #1 overall, but I DO see a scenario that Carolina would consider him if he dropped near the end of the 1st round or early second and making a move. They traded a Future #1 for Everett Brown when he fell into the 2nd round a few years back. As stated by you, they traded a future 2011 #33 overall-2nd Round for a 2010 #89 overall-3rd Round b/c a player they liked was there (WR Armanti Edwards). Why would they not do the same for Mallett if he's there after #27?
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-21-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Well, if they trade down a few spots (mimicking SD in 2001, like I suggested) it's possible they could acquire a 2nd rounder OR EVEN trade for the Pats' #28 overall.

Point is, I don't see why a team would take him #1 overall, but I DO see a scenario that Carolina would consider him if he dropped near the end of the 1st round or early second and making a move. They traded a Future #1 for Everett Brown when he fell into the 2nd round a few years back. As stated by you, they traded a future 2011 #33 overall-2nd Round for a 2010 #89 overall-3rd Round b/c a player they liked was there (WR Armanti Edwards). Why would they not do the same for Mallett if he's there after #27?
    ...because of how they turned out lol

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Mallett had a kick ass combine to boot. I think he's worth being in the discussion.
    he had a superior combine- but there's no fukin way he deserves to be in the conversation for the first pick in the draft....the pass placement Mallett showed at the combine/pro-day and the way he throws the ball in game conditions is night and day....

people go ballistic over how great he was almost bringing Arkansas back against Alabama- yet if you watched the first half of that game the comeback would not have been necessary had Mallett not underthrown or missed wide open receivers so poorly...it was a constant for mallett...

that said- i don't think carolina is dropping hints rather doing their homework- good for them...of course you've got to be careful as kellen clemens was selected on the strength of his chalk session at hofstra three weeks before the draft...

Looks like the Jimmy Clausen experiment was one-and-done in Carolina.

Smart move.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    ...because of how they turned out lol
    up to this point, touche!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Looks like the Jimmy Clausen experiment was one-and-done in Carolina.

Smart move.
    Clausen wasn't a bad pick for a 2nd rounder, I think it was great value for Carolina. He has talent, it's just that he's not a Franchise QB. Can't blame Carolina for taking a flyer on the guy last year since he was there for the plucking, but kudos to them if they know he's not the answer and are willing to move on.

Clausen wasn't a bad pick for a 2nd rounder, I think it was great value for Carolina. He has talent, it's just that he's not a Franchise QB. Can't blame Carolina for taking a flyer on the guy last year since he was there for the plucking, but kudos to them if they know he's not the answer and are willing to move on.
    Take a flyer on a 2nd rounder and then ditch him after one year? That I find dumb.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Take a flyer on a 2nd rounder and then ditch him after one year? That I find dumb.
    Not if he could POTENTIALLY be a franchise QB. I'm not saying CUT the guy after his rookie season, they took a flyer and he wasn't "it", but Clausen can still live out his rookie contract as a spot-starter/solid back-up QB; there's even trade potential.

It's not dumb to stock talent at a position, but it is dumb to pass up the opportunity to improve that position (especially at QB) if it's there and the neophyte incumbent has not convinced the FO he's the FINAL answer to their QB problems.

Kellen Clemens is a perfect example (yes, I think he's HORRIBLE). There was hope he'd be the answer. He wasn't. He still useful in other aspects (Meetings, practice/scout teams, starter experience, master of the self-sack).
    Kolb also currently comes to mind. These guys are still assets the team has invested in, but a smart GM will know that it's not the solution yet still find a way to utilize that player in some aspect or another.