Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carolina Panthers dropping Hints for #1?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    there are many ways to build a team. but taking a qb with the #1 pick when none may merit even a top half first round grade is unlikely to help your team in the long run.

there's a poker phrase "you gotta put em down to pick em up" another way of saying "nothing ventured nothing gained"

the Panthers yes can sit back and take safe picks (like the rams did for a couple years) but they are gonna have to take a risk at some point.

It should also be noted that one of the rams safe picks Chris Long has been ok/pretty good and the other Jason Smith has been terrible. there is no such thing as a "safe" pick.

also i think it's inaccurate to characterize Newton as a late first or second round talent.

He's got insane upside. Here's a quote from SF HC Jim Harbaugh

Harbaugh said the "ability to make people miss as a quarterback is critical. Avoid. Being able to go with your legs. We've got some quarterbacks in this draft like Cam Newton and (Blaine) Gabbert in particular, and Jake Locker that not only will make people miss and avoid people, but they can run and keep defenses out of certain coverages, which is quite the trait to have. And they can pick up first downs with their legs, keep the chains moving.

"And Cam Newton - that's plutonium-grade raw material, you know? I haven't seen upside like with this guy in probably the last 10 years. "

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/#ixzz1HM5Zi6rB

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if leinart and/or cutler were considered elite prospects they would have been taken earlier than they were. each had concerns as did young. if the titans owner didn't want to draft another mcnair, it's possible young would have fallen a lot.

as for brick, he was considered an elite prospect at his position (at least from pass protection), and many regarded him as the most 'can't miss' prospect in the entire draft. so taking brick at a premiere position over qbs who, with hindsight, either stunk or became team cancers, made sense. don't take a qb you don't like, you have to live with the consequences.
    Yeah that is EXACTLY what I have been saying in this whole thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    also i think it's inaccurate to characterize Newton as a late first or second round talent.

He's got insane upside. Here's a quote from SF HC Jim Harbaugh
    Everyone wants a michael Vick now? Young partially busted, Vick had a great year last year but got hurt. Meanwhile the Brady, Sanchez, Roeth, Manning just kept rolling along. The thing about many running QB's is they have to run to be effective and they get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    C'Mon man WHAT?!?!

read the post. where do I say BECAUSE he's had a concussion that he's not #1 worthy? WHICH HE IS NOT.

I include that as a potential red-flag factor, but it's NOT the SOLE reason, but for some teams it may be a material concern.

My argument is, and MIKE is HOT concurred, that he lacks an "it" factor and just isn't a leader (ie 4th Qtr Comebacks, etc). You agree that he's a head case. So with ALL those separate FACTORS contemplated, HOW can you make a convincing argument that Mallett -physical talent aside - is worth risking TOP #1 overall $$$$ (even if there is a rookie pay scale) and making the face of your franchise?

C'Mon man!!! make a better argument to the contrary and don't skew my argument due to your misunderstanding
    I'm not making an argument for Mallet being the #1 pick or first QB taken. I already made the argument why he could/should be considered part of the equation as the 3rd qb to look at. I don't think I need to come up with any more than what I've already posted. All I'm saying that it's not crazy to think Carolina will put him in the mix. And bringing up a concussion as a factor not to draft him seems like a stretch.
    Last edited by HessStation; 03-22-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    I'm not making an argument for Mallet being the #1 pick or first QB taken. I already made the argument why he could/should be considered part of the equation as the 3rd qb to look at. I don't think I need to come up with any more than what I've already posted. All I'm saying that it's not crazy to think Carolina will put him in the mix. And bringing up a concussion as a factor not to draft him seems like a stretch.
    i think he is the #3 QB on the board- but the panthers would have to trade down...depending on the outcome April 6th it may not happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    i think he is the #3 QB on the board- but the panthers would have to trade down...depending on the outcome April 6th it may not happen...
    I know I'm in the minority here but just on a personal note btw, I would take Locker over Mallett. The case I was making for Mallett was strictly objective, or trying to be. But I want my QB with some moxy and guts. I love teh intangibles. Go Jeter.

All League

Panthers '60 percent' done in draft prep

Link

NEW ORLEANS -- Coming off a 2-14 season in which they had the league's worst offense (196 points, 75 fewer than any other team) and yielded 408 points, the Carolina Panthers can't count the number of holes they must fill. With the top pick in the draft, they are leaning toward, well, who knows?

"We're going through the whole process and we still have about eight guys at various positions we're looking at," coach Ron Rivera said. "We're 60 percent of the way along."

Carolina's most glaring needs are at quarterback, receiver, tight end, both lines and in the secondary. Not that there's a particular strength on the roster, either.

That puts QBs Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton in the mix for the Panthers, along with any of the dynamic defensive linemen and wideouts A.J. Green of Georgia and Julio Jones of Alabama.

"We have another few weeks to do more evaluations and to meet with the players and everything that goes into making this pick," Rivera said.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The thing about many running QB's is they have to run to be effective and they get hurt.
    when Cam Newton was in high school he was looked at as a purely pocket passing QB. The college recruiters wondered "Could he run"

now Cam Newton is in college and NFL scouts wonder "Can he pass"

the truth is the great majority of those runs were scripted draws. Cam Newton's scramble ratio is similar to Aaron Rodgers, something like 8%. He's not a runner. He's a passer with run ability.