Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: PSLs and Pre-nups?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

PSLs and Pre-nups?

Question for any divorce lawyers or any other knowledgeable in such matters...

As an owner of 4 pretty decent PSLs, if I were to get married in a couple years, should a pre-nup be considered or even necessary? Would the chick have any legal right to my PSLs in the event of a divorce, considering they were purchased before marriage? Realistic question I'd say right? Like 50% of marriages end in divorce and probably another 20% should. You know some spiteful ex would probably target the prize possessions. Losing money, house, car and so on would suck, but some prime PSLs are irreplaceable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike135;3985120]Question for any divorce lawyers or any other knowledgeable in such matters...

As an owner of 4 pretty decent PSLs, if I were to get married in a couple years, should a pre-nup be considered or even necessary? Would the chick have any legal right to my PSLs in the event of a divorce, considering they were purchased before marriage? Realistic question I'd say right? Like 50% of marriages end in divorce and probably another 20% should. You know some spiteful ex would probably target the prize possessions. Losing money, house, car and so on would suck, but some prime PSLs are irreplaceable.[/QUOTE]

It's not a bad idea to consider because it can be classified as an asset since in can potentially be re-sold at either a gain (there is a monetary capital-gain and $ value) or a loss (which you can apply as an offset capital-loss and reduce capital-gains taxes - another type of $ saving value).

If you're definitely doing a pre-nup, and you see yourself keeping your SeasonTix for a good amount of time, I would protect those because I can easily see an attorney going after those tix due to their $$$ worth, more so if the Jets keep playing at a high level.

I had a friend back in HS ('95/96'?) who's parents went through a divorce and I recall the dad had to give up his Section 62 MSG Knicks season tix in order to settle with the mother. The dad was pretty pissed for some time and my friend was bummed b/c he lost out on some SWEET-@$$ prime seats.

His mom was a B!tch, anyways:rolleyes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3985124]It's not a bad idea to consider because it can be classified as an asset since in can potentially be re-sold at either a gain (there is a monetary capital-gain and $ value) or a loss (which you can apply as an offset capital-loss and reduce capital-gains taxes - another type of $ saving value).

If you're definitely doing a pre-nup, and you see yourself keeping your SeasonTix for a good amount of time, I would protect those because I can easily see an attorney going after those tix due to their $$$ worth, more so if the Jets keep playing at a high level.

I had a friend back in HS ('95/96'?) who's parents went through a divorce and I recall the dad had to give up his Section 62 MSG Knicks season tix in order to settle with the mother. The dad was pretty pissed for some time and my friend was bummed b/c he lost out on some SWEET-@$$ prime seats.

His mom was a B!tch, anyways:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, good info to know. You'd hope that since they were purchased pre-marriage that they'd be off limits, but I guess not. Man, sucks for your friend's father (and friend). As much as asking for a pre-nup must be awkward, that's nothing compared to having to give up your PSLs/tickets and the routine/tradition of gamedays.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's cheaper to keep her!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike135;3985120]Question for any divorce lawyers or any other knowledgeable in such matters...

As an owner of 4 pretty decent PSLs, if I were to get married in a couple years, should a pre-nup be considered or even necessary? Would the chick have any legal right to my PSLs in the event of a divorce, considering they were purchased before marriage? Realistic question I'd say right? Like 50% of marriages end in divorce and probably another 20% should. You know some spiteful ex would probably target the prize possessions. Losing money, house, car and so on would suck, but some prime PSLs are irreplaceable.[/QUOTE]

You should talk to a matrimonial lawyer licensed in your state. Pay for an hour of his/her time. Hiring lawyers only really gets expensive once the litigation starts. He/she will tell you all the rules regarding pre-nups in your state.

If you have enough assets(including your PSLs) and/or income that you think a prenup might be an option, prenups are designed to get you peace of mind (unless you are Michael Strahan).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3985136]It's cheaper to keep her!![/QUOTE]

Do you know why divorce is so expensive?

Because it is worth it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

If you entered the marriage with the PSLs paid for, they are pretty safe. I wouldn't consider a Pre-Nup solely for your Jets PSLs, but if you are going to look into a pre-nup anyway, it can't hurt to include them. She'd probably laugh at you, but whatever...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Generally speaking spouses can only go after assets obtained while married, but that is not always set in stone. If the value of the PSLs quadruple over the course of your marriage then she could go after the increased value of the PSLs. If you couldn't afford to buy her out of her share, then the court could force you to sell the PSLs to pay her off.

But if your main asset in life are Jet PSLs, it would be kind of dumb to get a pre-nup to cover them imo.

Also if you are already planning for a divorce before you get married, you may not be ready to get married.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=revischrist;3985239]Generally speaking spouses can only go after assets obtained while married, but that is not always set in stone. If the value of the PSLs quadruple over the course of your marriage then she could go after the increased value of the PSLs. If you couldn't afford to buy her out of her share, then the court could force you to sell the PSLs to pay her off.

But if your main asset in life are Jet PSLs, it would be kind of dumb to get a pre-nup to cover them imo.

Also if you are already planning for a divorce before you get married, you may not be ready to get married.[/QUOTE]

Main asset? Na, but most definitely one of the harder ones to replace. Given the history that'll go into the 'em. House, car, dough, all replaceable, but if you go to years/decades of games with friends and family... wouldn't want them disappearing because of some ugly divorce.

Imagine this conversation with a friend.
    "So, divorce finally over eh? She got the house huh, sucks man. No worries though, football season is around the corner. It's time to break out the tailgate gear and watch that young kid take over for Sanchez."

"Yeah ummm, no she took the tickets too."

"Aww man, that b*tch!" :eek:

There's the normal monetary things that are lost because of a divorce, but it's the more meaningful things that'll piss ya off. Other than maybe a car I've spent tons of weekends restoring, there's not much else I'd actually consider more important over time pound-for-pound. Well maybe kids, but the woman always gets them right?

Plus, to not consider divorce an [B]extremely[/B] likely possibility before entering a marriage, I personally believe is f*ckin insane. Nothing wrong with being realistic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike135;3985260]Main asset? Na, but most definitely one of the harder ones to replace. Given the history that'll go into the 'em. House, car, dough, all replaceable, but if you go to years/decades of games with friends and family... wouldn't want them disappearing because of some ugly divorce.

Imagine this conversation with a friend.
    "So, divorce finally over eh? She got the house huh, sucks man. No worries though, football season is around the corner. It's time to break out the tailgate gear and watch that young kid take over for Sanchez."

"Yeah ummm, no she took the tickets too."

"Aww man, that b*tch!" :eek:

There's the normal monetary things that are lost because of a divorce, but it's the more meaningful things that'll piss ya off. Other than maybe a car I've spent tons of weekends restoring, there's not much else I'd actually consider more important over time pound-for-pound. Well maybe kids, but the woman always gets them right?

Plus, to not consider divorce an [B]extremely[/B] likely possibility before entering a marriage, I personally believe is f*ckin insane. Nothing wrong with being realistic.[/QUOTE]

Never underestimate a former spouse's willingness to get vindictive during the divorce process. Items that are both valuable and personal to one party are easy targets for shenanigans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

sure but the lawyer is going to think your crazy if the pre-nup is just for the PSLs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we've hit a point in our lives where people actually want these tickets? Wow

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on how much wealth you have already accumulated. If you have something to protect, include them, because once they are paid off, they will be worth *something* -- but if this is pretty much it -- I wouldn't bother. She's taking half when that divorce happens anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you were willing to roll the dice with marriage and the ~50% divorce rate where I think the working assumption is you lose ~50%, and ONLY wanted to protect the PSLs, that might be a way to at least partly get around the awkwardness of broaching the pre-nup concept with the bride to be.

Again you'd have to be wiling to risk 50% of your wealth, then maybe you can have it written up almost in a playful yet legally binding way saying the PSLs were off limits. Assuming they're worth less than half of your net worth, maybe you can still pay your way out of it but at least guarantee that a spiteful ex to be who is trying to get you where it hurts can't take away your football.

If you were able to it it this way, and I have no idea what I'm talking about and if this is possible, you might also get some interviews with sport talk radio or a spot on one of the Jets shows or something where you playfully talk about your unique prenup.

Good luck!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like

This is when an untied bed robe and a flight of stairs come in handy, so make sure your home has an upstairs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.giants.com/uploads/assets/final_transfer_psl_form.pdf[/url]

IF THE PSL IS BEING TRANSFERRED AS THE RESULT OF A DIVORCE, the applicable party must submit a copy of the applicable page(s) divorce decree (including cover page and last page signed by judge.)

Giants PSL transfer agreement addresses transfers as a result of a divorce.