Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRAFT dept. : Valuing 2011 NFL Draft Picks . . . & Beyond ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow DRAFT dept. : Valuing 2011 NFL Draft Picks . . . & Beyond ~ ~ ~

Valuing 2011 NFL Draft Picks … & Beyond

> http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/2...ks-and-beyond/

Hall Of Fame
    Are Jets Taking Aim at a D-Lineman in Draft ?

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...0-c3db5d98fec6

Hall Of Fame

Jets Insider VIP
    better

thank you

Jets Insider VIP

~ ~ ~

Kellen, you do realize there is a forum dedicated here on JI specifically for all things draft-related, right? ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Q&A with PFW draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...nolan-nawrocki

Hall Of Fame

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Kellen, you do realize there is a forum dedicated here on JI specifically for all things draft-related, right? ~ ~ ~

Guess not.

Kellen, LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    It’s Official: Where the Jets’ 6 Picks Are

> http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2011/04/...s-6-picks-are/

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Are Jets Taking Aim at a D-Lineman in Draft ?

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...0-c3db5d98fec6

The Article may have expired or has been deleted.

You really are a clown.

Hall Of Fame
    Drafted players' rights could be for sale

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ld-be-for-sale

Hall Of Fame
    saw this :

New York likes Heyward

The New York Jets need help at defensive end, writes Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork, so Ohio State's Cam Heyward would be a solid choice.

A solid choice, but the Jets thought the same thing when they drafted former Ohio State lineman Vernon Gholston, who didn't exactly work out.

Heyward, speaking at the combine, on the comparison to Gholston: "We're two totally different players. Vern, they had him dropping at linebacker. You've seen my dropping abilities, they're pretty good [joking]. Me, I can play all over the line; I can play 3-technique and 6-technique. We are two different players. We had the privilege of going to The Ohio State, but we're not the same player. I'm never going to compare myself to him and I don't think he'll ever do the same."

Unlike Gholston, writes Cimini, Heyward can play tackle in a 4-3 scheme. On a 3-4 team like the Jets, he has the ideal body type to play the 5-technique -- defensive end. He's strong enough to be a two-gap player.

Hall Of Fame

~ ~ By Steve Wyche |

Published: March 30th, 2011 | Tags: Cam Heyward, A.J. Smith, Dick LeBeau, Mike Tomlin, Ohio State, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers

Defensive end Cam Heyward, who had Tommy John surgery in January, had his makeup workout at Ohio State on Wednesday in front of an NFL contingent that included representatives from 3-4 defensive schemers Pittsburgh and San Diego.

A source at the workout said Heyward weighed 295 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in a slow 4.95-4.96 range (wouldn’t have made the top 15 at the combine) and had a 35-inch vertical jump (would have been sixth-best mark at combine). Heyward did not bench. He has been cleared for the activity medically, but hasn’t trained for it. He did, however, take part in all the field drills.

Among those in attendance were Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

I’m talking to Cam later today and will file his reaction when I have it.

~ ~ Pro Days
    OSU’s Heyward pleased with elbow, pro day

Posted: March 30th, 2011 | Steve Wyche | Tags: Cam Heyward, Craig Heyward, Ohio State pro day

Ohio State defensive lineman Cameron Heyward, a projected first-round draft pick, felt good not only about the way he performed in front of dozens of NFL scouts at his pro day Wednesday, but about the fact that he simply performed period.

After spending the past few months recovering from a left elbow injury that required tendons to be surgically repaired, the 295-pound Heyward went through all drills except for the bench press. He ran his 40-yard dash in times around 4.95 seconds, and his vertical jump was around 35 inches, according to a source who was in attendance.

The workout was pretty much set up for Heyward and two other players who couldn’t participate in the Buckeyes’ March 11 pro day. Heyward didn’t participate in the NFL Scouting Combine last month, either, because he was recovering from surgery.

Heyward punched dummies and bags and moved his repaired limb with no limitations, adding that he felt no residual effects from the injury he sustained in the Jan. 4 Sugar Bowl. Several hours after going through those drills, Heyward said he wasn’t experiencing any discomfort.

“It felt so good to go out there and perform for all those coaches,” Heyward said in a telephone interview. “Everything felt good, and I felt like I’ve gained a lot of my strength back.”Heyward said he wasn’t asked by any teams about his upper body strength because the medical feedback showed the recovery portion of his injury is complete. Now it’s simply about him getting stronger.

Following his workout, Heyward was put through some tests by teams on a white board, and he said that parts went well. In fact, while he was recovering from his injury, Heyward said he was able to really gain in the game’s mental aspects.“I learned about myself, learned to have patience, and I worked on some weaknesses,” said the son of former NFL running back Craig “Ironhead” Heyward.

Cam Heyward is coveted because he played end and tackle at Ohio State and is viewed as someone who could play both in a 4-3 scheme, although end is his most proficient spot. He also can play end in a 3-4.

Hall Of Fame
    re draft stuff :

~ ~ Justin Houston to Visit NY Jets Week Before Draft
    By Bassett on Apr 02, 2011

It’s hard to know just who will be available to the Jets by the time the 30th pick comes to them, but it’s clear that there’s going to be some interesting defensive front seven players left, which is perfect for the Jets.With that in mind, the Jets have extended Georgia DE/OLB Justin Houston (6-3, 267 lbs) an offer to visit their facility about a week before the NFL Draft, according to a league source.

Houston ran the 40-yard dash in a quick-ish 4.57 seconds at his Pro Day, and pressed 225 30 times, had a 36.5” vertical leap and a 10’5” broad jump at the Combine. Houston has set up a number of visits, many with 3-4 teams like Buffalo, San Francisco, Baltimore and Atlanta.

Houston is very athletic, and is raw since he’s just a junior, which gives him “upside.” Having recorded 17.5 sacks during the past two seasons and was second in the SEC with 10 sacks in 2010. Houston is quick off the snap, and has an explosive jump at the QB and is a great pass-rusher. Where Houston causes concern is that he’s got little experience in dropping into pass coverage. Houston can be too QB focused, can quit if the play runs away from him, might not have the lateral abilities to effective control his gap on run plays and at the present time is underdeveloped should he needs to square up on a Offensive Tackle

Hall Of Fame
    Carolina seeks second-round pick

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ond-round-pick

PFW's exclusive draft value chart

Posted April 06, 2011 @ 1:05 p.m. ET
    By Nolan Nawrocki

The value board below is based on considerable feedback from NFL teams and projects the league value of players, pinpointing a specific area where players likely will be drafted. It is important to note that these values do not reflect where PFW thinks the players should be drafted or what type of pros they will become; that is better reflected in PFW's grades.

Each round is divided into three parts: A (early), B (middle) and C (late). Thus, 2B signifies the middle of the second round. Players may be drafted higher or lower based on team needs and fits within certain schemes. The value board may not list the exact number of players in a round as there are actual selections. In some cases, more players are listed than will be drafted, especially in later rounds, because of the very minor difference between late-round draft picks and priority free agents.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-value-chart-4

Hall Of Fame
    The belief : Jets can afford to make a 'luxury' pick

> http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed...-a-luxury-pick

Hall Of Fame
    Pundits Think D ; Trading Down Also an Option

> http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2011/04/...lso-an-option/