Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets mock picks from 9 sources

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets mock picks from 9 sources

The #30 pick is tough to predict but these guys have a bunch of the same names. For once I hope Kiper nails the draft.

Bleacher Report:
    Not everyone needs a NT like Phil Taylor, but the Jets are one of those teams because it looks like Kris Jenkins is done. While Pat Williams could be a one- or two-year filler, a guy like Taylor provides more disruption along the LOS.

An edge rusher or OG would also be welcomed in NY.

Lorge - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Kiper - Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
    McShay - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Rang - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Reuter - Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple
    Bunting - Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    Banks - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Brooks - Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
    Kirwan - Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
    Nawrocki - Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...battle#page/31

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    J. Houston and P. Taylor are ranked right around 29 and 30 on most rankings, so it seems like the Jets would have their choice to pick between these two. Would the Jets be more likely to go with an OLB or a DT in that scenario?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyTestaverde'sNiece View Post
    J. Houston and P. Taylor are ranked right around 29 and 30 on most rankings, so it seems like the Jets would have their choice to pick between these two. Would the Jets be more likely to go with an OLB or a DT in that scenario?
    If two players they had graded similarly were available at those two positions, I think they would go with the OLB position.

That said, it never ends up being like that. They could have Houston graded as a 3rd rounder and Taylor graded as a 1st for all we know.

Personally I think Houston has huge bust potential because he's far too content being not involved.

And despite being massive, Taylor does not have great strength by any means. That could change as he gets a bit older and works out better, but usually it doesn't.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would we take an OG in the first round?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    Why would we take an OG in the first round?
    Best available... Slauson was solid last year but it's not like the guy was great.

Team clearly wants players at other positions, but OL is too important to completely ignore it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Best available... Slauson was solid last year but it's not like the guy was great.

Team clearly wants players at other positions, but OL is too important to completely ignore it.
    Of course how many OGs are great in their first year of starting? I am willing to venture that Slauson will be even better this year then he was last year due to more familiarity with his linemates and just plain more experience. No OG is Rd 1 please. DEFENSE is the way to go!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are also suggestions of us taking a RT in Rd 1 - I know Woody is gone, but don't we have Hunter and Ducasse to fight for that spot? Sure, Hunter is a FA, but how difficult will he really be to re-sign?

Much as I appreciate the need for OL depth, I think we're good enough in that area that we don't have to go OL in the first round. Pick up a depth guy later on. We need D upgrades first and foremost.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post
    The #30 pick is tough to predict but these guys have a bunch of the same names. For once I hope Kiper nails the draft.

Bleacher Report:
    Not everyone needs a NT like Phil Taylor, but the Jets are one of those teams because it looks like Kris Jenkins is done. While Pat Williams could be a one- or two-year filler, a guy like Taylor provides more disruption along the LOS.

An edge rusher or OG would also be welcomed in NY.

Lorge - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Kiper - Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
    McShay - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Rang - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Reuter - Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple
    Bunting - Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    Banks - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Brooks - Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
    Kirwan - Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
    Nawrocki - Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...battle#page/31
    Some of the draft mags have Taylor and Wilkerson as low as the 2nd or 3rd round. But they had Dustin Keller that low, so it is what it is.

The most important thing is not spending a #1 on them if you can get them at a #3.

Woouldn't be a kick in the ass if The Ghost gets 5 sacks next year with someone else? Nah, aint gonna happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that I always condone best available player but that could be why Tanny would choose an OG. Sometimes that makes the most sense.

Just the same, need picks are what I look and hope for. Just so long as they are not reaching for the need. Tanny has shown in the past his ability to wheel and deal and get to where he needs to be to get the player he most desires and still not reach in the process.

For me, Phil Taylor would be the most ideal scenario. Taylor would fill an enormous need. If we picked him at #30 we likely would not be reaching as most draft boards have him going at around the late first round. I just hope he can be even half the player that Jenkins is when healthy. If he is, then we have a great player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Planet theory....only so many big, strong guys who can move in this world. If Phil Taylor is that guy, I'm sure Rex wants him. Lets not forget he spent most of his coaching tenure in Baltimore with 2 Nose Tackles in Ngata and Gregg. One can only imagine that Rex was planning on doing the same thing with Pouha and Jenkins, except Jenkins kept getting hurt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    There are also suggestions of us taking a RT in Rd 1 - I know Woody is gone, but don't we have Hunter and Ducasse to fight for that spot? Sure, Hunter is a FA, but how difficult will he really be to re-sign?

Much as I appreciate the need for OL depth, I think we're good enough in that area that we don't have to go OL in the first round. Pick up a depth guy later on. We need D upgrades first and foremost.
    Yep we need to go D in the top half of the draft. Wouldn't be averse to Taylor but I think upgrading the passrush is a more pressing need

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's always that one ******* who has to make a mockery of it all, and I guess in this case it's Nawrocki, since he has us selecting an Offensive Guard, one of the positions the Jets have no need for even a back-up at.

Phil Taylor is the consensus, and that's who I want, too.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    phil taylor looks like a big fat lump from the flims i have seen as does stephen paea both not as strong at the point of attack as they should be fro there size. can they get better i think so but go look at nagata highlights before the draft he was an animal i like wilkerson at end bigger faster sean ellis great instincts looks to need to regroup to make the play but really disruptive see screens great and anticipation of play makes him even faster. olb shooting up boards is brooks reed perfect size for 4-3 olb good speed look alot like clay matthews hair and all and i love jon baldwin wr great size not afraid to go over the middle and evelate for the ball 6'5" nothing is too high for him plus i love pittsburgh players we have had good luck with that program ( ie curtis and revis )

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    There's always that one ******* who has to make a mockery of it all, and I guess in this case it's Nawrocki, since he has us selecting an Offensive Guard, one of the positions the Jets have no need for even a back-up at.

Phil Taylor is the consensus, and that's who I want, too.
    Yeah, while I dont follow college football that close and dont know the players that well, I can definatley say that we have alot more pressing needs than OG.

I would be happy with taking an OLBer or NT in the first round, but if I had to pick one than I want a pass rushing threat from the OLB spot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    they all might be wrong with the pick in the first round.what about cameron heyward?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know the policy is "best available", but our pass rush is so anemic that DE or OLB might take precedence

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like where the majority are going here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Yeah, while I dont follow college football that close and dont know the players that well, I can definatley say that we have alot more pressing needs than OG.

I would be happy with taking an OLBer or NT in the first round, but if I had to pick one than I want a pass rushing threat from the OLB spot.
    Yep would prefer a major injection at OLB (demon pass rusher)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yep would prefer a major injection at OLB (demon pass rusher)
    Tough to get at 30...

Hell, even tough to find one who falls to 22.

But the bottom line is 5 years from now, at least one guy getting picked around our selection through round 7 will be a good pass rusher, and we have to be the team to find that guy.

But for you people excited about Taylor, he's not the strongest guy in the world right now. Even despite his size, I've watched him get pushed off the ball. I think he'll be very little impact in year 1 to tell you the truth. He's on the younger side and he shows a lot of want-to though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    heres a prediction it will be none of those guys.... maybe Wilkerson if Tanny can put the Boise State Kyle Wilson pick behind him and pick a dude from the MAC.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-28-2011 at 11:56 AM.