Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modified kickoff rules and Instant replay revision approved

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Modified kickoff rules and Instant replay revision approved

NFL Owners have approved the modified kickoff rules and instant-replay review of all scoring plays according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Kickoffs will be from the 35 next season, but two-man wedge blocks are still allowed and post-touchback possessions will start from the 20.

--------------------------

I don't like it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid. The antichrist Goddell strikes again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;3985518]NFL Owners have approved the modified kickoff rules and instant-replay review of all scoring plays according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Kickoffs will be from the 35 next season, but two-man wedge blocks are still allowed and post-touchback possessions will start from the 20.

--------------------------

I don't like it.[/QUOTE]

Neither does Lovie or Brad Smith.

Leon should be happy he got his new contract already.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3985520]Stupid. The antichrist Goddell strikes again.[/QUOTE]

As inconsistent as our kickers have been getting it into the end zone, this may be a good thing. :yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3985520]Stupid. The antichrist Goddell strikes again.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://theworldaccordingtotassos.com/images/heil%20goodell.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3985525]As inconsistent as our kickers have been getting it into the end zone, this may be a good thing. :yes:[/QUOTE]

No it's not... Our special teams are always very good in returning and this really hurts that.

This is definitely bad for the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3985525]As inconsistent as our kickers have been getting it into the end zone, this may be a good thing. :yes:[/QUOTE]

No because our team has been a great KR team, it hurts us... No we'll have touchbacks instead of getting big returns.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Goodell has nothing to do with this. Its the competition committee.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had these rules been in place last season, we probably lose the Colts playoff game. It's unlikely we put together the game-winning drive if it would have begun at the 20-yard line.

Also, kickoff returns have probably been the Jets' only consistent area of strength in the 38 years I've followed this team. A run-first offense isn't going to have enough 80-yard touchdown drives to be successful, so it might change the way we play a little bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;3985532]Goodell has nothing to do with this. Its the competition committee.[/QUOTE]

Goodell might not have a vote Pete...but he always has influence.

Witness the awarding of 2014 Super Bowl to NMS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not good for us. I don't imagine Westhoff is too pleased with this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brad Smith's market value just took a BIG hit.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR;3985566]Brad Smith's market value just took a BIG hit.[/QUOTE]

+1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the kickoffs actually used to be at the 40

then the 35

then the 30

now back to the 35

the NFL survived all these rule changes and it will survive this one

i don't recall as a little boy worrying about the location of the kickoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad it wasn't Gooddell...But why let facts get in the way...It's all Gooddell's fault it's only 40 degrees today...

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]NFL owners on Tuesday approved the rules committee's recommendation to move kickoffs up to the 35-yard line next season but touchbacks will continue to be placed at the 20-yard line. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]The NFL competition committee proposed the changes intended to increase player safety on kickoff returns. The change, according to NBC Sports, moves kickoff up from the 30-yard line. However, owners opted not to move touchbacks from those kicks 5 yards further upfield. They also allowed return units to continue using two-man wedge blocking. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Coaches against the change argued it would punish teams with elite return men. Notably, those teams included the Chicago Bears, who employ Devin Hester, and the Seattle Seahawks, who have Leon Washington. Both those players are top kick returners. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Bears coach Lovie Smith was vehement in his opposition. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]"I can't believe we're even talking about that," Smith told The Chicago Tribune before the owners' vote. "It's the most exciting play in the game. We're totally against the rule. We don't even get into the conversation. How do we get to this point?" [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]As for player safety, Smith noted that the Bears had one player injured last season on kickoff return or kickoff coverage units -- and that involved an ankle sprain. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Two years ago, the NFL addressed safety on kickoffs by limiting blocking wedges to two players. A proposal also was on the table to outlaw blocking wedges altogether, but that didn't sit well with coaches worried about the safety of the return men. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]"A (return man) is going to just get started, and especially now that they've taken the wedge out, there's going to be no blocking for him," Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh told the Los Angeles Times. "You're going to have some huge hits around the 12-, 15-yard line that are going to be dangerous for the returner." [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Competition committee chairman Rick McKay said Monday the kickoff change proposal was "not one that if you were asking the committee to vote on it from a tactical standpoint and for a betterment of the game, I believe the committee would be 0-7 against." [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]"From a safety issue, 7-0 in favor because I think this gives us an opportunity to shorten the field and to lessen the impacts that are happening on (kickoffs)," McKay said. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Read more: [URL]http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-22/nfl-to-move-kickoffs-up-to-35-yard-line#ixzz1HM2Cg759[/URL][/COLOR][/LEFT]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3985573]the kickoffs actually used to be at the 40

then the 35

then the 30

now back to the 35

the NFL survived all these rule changes and it will survive this one

i don't recall as a little boy worrying about the location of the kickoffs.[/QUOTE]...you think Brad Smith starting 5 yds deeper is a non-issue?...wow

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;3985586]...you think Brad Smith starting 5 yds deeper is a non-issue?...wow[/QUOTE]

it's not just brad smith. every dangerous returner is starting 5 yards back.

just puts more pressure on the qbs. go sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;3985586]...you think Brad Smith starting 5 yds deeper is a non-issue?...wow[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that, What i said was the league will survive... and I dont remember the product being that terrible pre-1994.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the League is going to review all scores, I'd like that to include any blown or missed penalty calls.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3985595]If the League is going to review all scores, I'd like that to include any blown or missed penalty calls.[/QUOTE]

Advertisers would be all over this.