Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Tweets - Tuesday 3/22

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Jet Tweets - Tuesday 3/22

Rex on [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Jets"][COLOR=#2d76b9]#Jets[/COLOR][/URL] safeties: "Our play overall last year was better at safety than it was the previous season. We had a lot of guys step up."

Rex: "Will we take some reps off L.T. this year on 1st and 2nd down & give them more to Shonn Greene. I would say that's a real possibility"

Rex also said [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Jets"][COLOR=#2d76b9]#Jets[/COLOR][/URL] will probably use Shonn Greene more as the featured back and give him more of the carries that L.T. was getting in '10.

Speaking to media in NO, Rex said [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Jets"][COLOR=#2d76b9]#Jets[/COLOR][/URL] will count more on Joe McKnight: "Hes earned a bigger role for us, I dont think there's any doubt"

[URL]http://twitter.com/#!/rodboone[/URL]

Rex said he took Belichick's playoff benching of Welker for foot jokes as sign of respect: "I thought it was kind of neat."

Rex on Pats: "I feel like at times were the only team that can beat them.They lost 3 games last year 2 to us and 1 to my brother."

Rex also said McKnight has earned carries ahead of Greene and LT -- even on first down. "He's come a million miles."

Rex says he expects Sanchez's backups to remain the same. "We're not looking for a quarterback."

Rex says he hasn't ruled out bringing back Jason Taylor. Loves the guy, but the Jets weren't going to pay the offseason bonus.

Rex: Leonhard injury will keep him from returning punts. McKnight is leading replacement candidate, followed by Cotchery. No Wilson.

Told that he ought to get an endorsement deal out of it, Rex laughed and said: "Maybe Ive got to get my guys on that."

Asked Rex if he worries the "goddamn snack" comment will end up on his tombstone: "Man, a lot's been made of that. It's incredible."

[URL]http://twitter.com/#!/NYPost_Hubbuch[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, this is the New York Jets, yes is trouble there? Yes, we are really looking for trouble.

Cue the 'we weren't going to win anyway if our starter went down' nonsense when Sanchez gets hurt early next year and the season is a write off because the team idiotically refused to get a decent backup for the most important position in all of football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3985605]Hello, this is the New York Jets, yes is trouble there? Yes, we are really looking for trouble.

Cue the 'we weren't going to win anyway if our starter went down' nonsense when Sanchez gets hurt early next year and the season is a write off because the team idiotically refused to get a decent backup for the most important position in all of football.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this big time.

This team is not going to win a super bowl with a backup QB playing significant games. Same goes for the Pats, Colts, and just about every other team outside of maybe the Steelers. Even that is a maybe.

If you are going to say we need to be better for a game here or there without Sanchez, fine. But even then I am going to argue that Garcia is not better than someone like Clemens simply because he has been at one time in his career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3985605]Hello, this is the New York Jets, yes is trouble there? Yes, we are really looking for trouble.

Cue the 'we weren't going to win anyway if our starter went down' nonsense when Sanchez gets hurt early next year and the season is a write off because the team idiotically refused to get a decent backup for the most important position in all of football.[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand why we are keeping Brunell as the number two. Ideally we would hire him as a qb assistant coach and bring in someone that can take over IF Sanchez can't play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3985649]I disagree with this big time.

This team is not going to win a super bowl with a backup QB playing significant games. Same goes for the Pats, Colts, and just about every other team outside of maybe the Steelers. Even that is a maybe.

If you are going to say we need to be better for a game here or there without Sanchez, fine. [B] But even then I am going to argue that Garcia is not better than someone like Clemens simply because he has been at one time in his career[/B].[/QUOTE]

I agree.... BUT Mark Brunell would be the one coming in, not Clemens. Mark Brunell looks like my 74 yr old father out there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Banks81;3985654]I really don't understand why we are keeping Brunell as the number two. Ideally we would hire him as a qb assistant coach and bring in someone that can take over IF Sanchez can't play.[/QUOTE]

Considering that we can't bring in anyone now and possibly for a long time, it makes sense to keep the QBs as is right now. A new backup would really be behind the 8 ball in learning the system, so keeping the guys we have now probably makes the most sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3985664]Considering that we can't bring in anyone now and possibly for a long time, it makes sense to keep the QBs as is right now. A new backup would really be behind the 8 ball in learning the system, so keeping the guys we have now probably makes the most sense.[/QUOTE]

Yup, what do we gain by hinting that we're looking for a QB. I agree that MB on the field is a frightening thought, although he was ok in the season ending scrimmage against Buff.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3985649]I disagree with this big time.

If you are going to say we need to be better for a game here or there without Sanchez, fine. But even then I am going to argue that Garcia is not better than someone like Clemens simply because he has been at one time in his career.[/QUOTE]

Kurt Warner says hello.
    Tom Brady says hello.
    Cassell says hello.

I'm not saying you have to have another 1st stringer in the wings but the team has no confidence at all in Clemens and Brunell is atrocious. It's positively a dereliction of duty to not at least get a vet that can play a bit or a young guy who you are grooming to some extent.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 03-22-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3985664]Considering that we can't bring in anyone now and possibly for a long time, it makes sense to keep the QBs as is right now. A new backup would really be behind the 8 ball in learning the system, so keeping the guys we have now probably makes the most sense.[/QUOTE]

Those guys are TERRIBLE, at least Brunnel is.

It amazes me that there is often way more talk about the need for backups or depth for just about every position on the team except the most important one. Have a serviceable guy and you can perhaps hold the fort if your starter is out for a number of games. Hell people talked more about Wayne Hunter last year being able to step in a do a good job than any worry about QB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3985754]Those guys are TERRIBLE, at least Brunnel is.

It amazes me that there is often way more talk about the need for backups or depth for just about every position on the team except the most important one. Have a serviceable guy and you can perhaps hold the fort if your starter is out for a number of games. Hell people talked more about Wayne Hunter last year being able to step in a do a good job than any worry about QB.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree, for the most part, but Brunnell did step in and beat the Bills and didn't look half bad. Yes, sure they were the Bills, but we play the Bills two games a year as well as other crappy teams.

If we are hoping to have a backup come in and play the whole season and be successful in a playoff run, that may be a little much to ask. But, if its a spot start here or there (or even a 3 game run), Brunnell, along with a heavy dose of the running game, gives us a chance. That's really all you can ask for. And, no matter how you slice it, our backups are 2-0 in their last two starts.

Personally, I'd rather have a guy that can make something happen with his legs and scramble as a back up. After all, any QB we envision being this great pocket passer would necessarily be a starter. If a guy can give the other team something to think about with his legs, throw enough to keep the defense a bit off balance, and then hand the ball off, I'm happy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B][I]Rex says he hasn't ruled out bringing back Jason Taylor. Loves the guy, but the Jets weren't going to pay the offseason bonus[/I][/B].

There better be an upgrade at OLB or I'm going to cry. If we go into this season with Taylor, Pace & Thomas as our primary edge rushers I'll sue!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brunell is a nice backup. Did you see him kill the Bills week 17?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cassel didn't win anything...

And sorry but Warner and Brady come along once in a life time. You can't scout for that. Just fantasy land talk.

And not only that, but you want the team to go with a couple of unknowns? Because that is what they were at the time. If they do that, you'll ***** that they don't have a good backup just like you are now. Just because you don't know them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what Ainge is up too. Dude just disappeared!Brunel as the #2 QB is sketch!!! I have more confidence with Clemens as the #2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jeT.MAC;3985946]I wonder what Ainge is up too. Dude just disappeared!Brunel as the #2 QB is sketch!!! I have more confidence with Clemens as the #2.[/QUOTE]

He's out of rehab and tweeting again...

[URL]http://twitter.com/#!/ErikAinge3[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget Brad Smith as a sort-of QB option. If Sanchez misses any time, we can expect to see more Wildcat than normal, along with Brunell / Clemens.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3985754]Those guys are TERRIBLE, at least Brunnel is.

It amazes me that there is often way more talk about the need for backups or depth for just about every position on the team except the most important one. [/QUOTE]

... brunnell is a qb who has been there & done that ... at this point he is a servicable hold-the-fort for a couple games type who most likely wouldn't make too many mistakes & would put us in position for the D & run game to win or lose the games ...

... sure it would be nice to spend money and have great backups unfortunately our cumulative roster salary already is up against the wall regarding the looming return of the salary cap ...

... which of these 3 do you want to lose in order to spend the money to significantly upgrade backup qb? ...

... cro - edwards - holmes ...

(that is what the cost will be)

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3985932]Cassel didn't win anything...

And sorry but Warner and Brady come along once in a life time. You can't scout for that. Just fantasy land talk.

And not only that, but you want the team to go with a couple of unknowns? Because that is what they were at the time. If they do that, you'll ***** that they don't have a good backup just like you are now. Just because you don't know them.[/QUOTE]

Cassel didn't win anything except for what about 11 or 12 games?

I want them to go with someone that we have a chance to win with if our starter goes down. Not a guy that is 42 years old and can't play at all and a guy they obviously think is so bad they have him behind that 42 year old scrub. Sorry man it's flat out retarded to not even attempt to upgrade your back up of the most important position on the team. We have ZERO developmental QB's on the roster or on the radar.

Hey if you think going with Brunnell and Clemens is a great thing more power to you. I disagree 100% and think it we have gotten off easy with a lack of injuries on this team. It'll be great investing all that cash in our deep threats edwards and holmes and then having Brunnell have out 20 yard lame ducks if the starter gets hurt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3986109]... brunnell is a qb who has been there & done that ... at this point he is a servicable hold-the-fort for a couple games type who most likely wouldn't make too many mistakes & would put us in position for the D & run game to win or lose the games ...

... sure it would be nice to spend money and have great backups unfortunately our cumulative roster salary already is up against the wall regarding the looming return of the salary cap ...

... which of these 3 do you want to lose in order to spend the money to significantly upgrade backup qb? ...

... cro - edwards - holmes ...

(that is what the cost will be)

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

I disagree Brunell was a been there done that serviceable guy 5 years ago, he's a 40 plus year old guy who can't do it anymore.

So your saying that getting a half assed backup QB as opposed to a total jag is going to cost use the price of those guys? Dream on. Scan the depth charts of other teams in this league you won't find many backup QB situations worse than ours.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3986333]it's flat out retarded to not even attempt to upgrade your back up of the most important position on the team. We have ZERO developmental QB's on the roster or on the radar.

[/QUOTE]

... these seem to be conflicting sentences ... unless your idea of upgrading is a young unknown guy who we hope we can groom to be an above average backup eventually ...

... can you please clarify your position with who you would like to have at backup qb instead of brunnell? ...

thx,

l_j_r