Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama's Libyan Brain Farts continue...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Obama's Libyan Brain Farts continue...

sounds like dear leader had a stated mission and definite plan in place before he left for rio with the family....

White House: Helping install 'a democratic system' is goal in Libya
    By Sam Youngman - 03/22/11 10:23 AM ET

The White House suggested Tuesday the mission in Libya is one of regime change, despite emphatic statements from President Obama and military brass that the goal is not to remove Moammar Gadhafi from power.

According to a White House readout of a Monday night call between Obama and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the two leaders "underscored their shared commitment to the goal of helping provide the Libyan people an opportunity to transform their country, by installing a democratic system that respects the people’s will."

The term "installing" suggests the goal of regime change.

The White House was emphatic Tuesday in insisting there was no change to the U.S. military mission.

In an e-mail, White House press secretary Jay Carney said the military mission was clearly focused on protecting civilians. He also noted Obama's remark Monday that Gadhafi is no longer fit to lead.

From the onset of the strikes against Libya, senior administration officials have said the goal is to create an atmosphere where Libyan rebels would be able to oust Gadhafi from power.

Obama has struggled to reconcile the stated U.S. policy of wanting Gadhafi out of power with the U.N. mission of protecting the Libyan people.

At a press conference Monday in Chile, Obama said it is "very easy to square our military actions and our stated policies."

But the president faces an increasingly hostile backlash from Capitol Hill about the specific definition of the mission.

This story was updated at 3:52 p.m.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...mission?page=1

Mullen: Libyan mission is not designed to remove Gadhafi
    09:58 AMYahoo! BuzzShare
    DiggNewsvineRedditPrintShare
    By David Jackson, USA TODAY
    11 Comments

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff went on Sunday interview shows to echo the Obama administration's position that the U.S. is working with allies on military action in Libya that is defined and limited -- and could conceivably leave Moammar Gadhafi in power.

"That's certainly one potential outcome," Mullen said on NBC's Meet The Press, stressing that the mission is designed to enforce a United Nations resolution demanding that Gadhafi stop attacking Libyan citizens who oppose his government.

On ABC's This Week, Mullen said that "the military objective" of the mission is to "focus on getting this no-fly zone in place and to support the U.N. objectives of no humanitarian crisis and humanitarian support, protecting Libyan civilians."

President Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, and other U.S. officials have called for an end to the Gadhafi government, but that is not the goal of the coalition mission.

Hours after U.S. and British forces sought to take out Libyan air defenses with cruise missiles, Mullen said on several programs that a no-fly zone has been established over Gadhafi's country.

Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
    CAPTIONBy Brendan Smialowski, Getty Images"Effectively, he hasn't flown anything in the last couple of days," Mullen said on Fox News Sunday. "So I'd say the no-fly zone which we were tasked to put in place is actually in place."

Mullen also discussed other aspects of the mission:

How long will it take? "I won't speculate about length at this particular point in time," Mullen said on ABC's This Week.

The U.S. role in relation to allies. "As more and more capability shows up from other countries, I think you'll see the U.S. move to more of a support role, recognizing that there still be could be threats out there that the United States as well as others would have to take out," Mullen said on CNN's State of the Union.

In all his interviews, Mullen emphasized the support of the Arab League for the no-fly zone in Libya.

Gadhafi claims of civilian casualties in Libya. "We've worked very hard to absolutely minimize and eliminate any civilian casualties," Mullen said on Fox News Sunday. "I have seen no reports of civilian casualties, though I've heard that he has so stated. He hasn't been very reliable in the past."

Also appearing on the Sunday shows, congressional Republicans generally backed the action, but questioned some of the planning.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said on CNN's State of the Union that Obama "waited too long" to back the no-fly zone, but now "it is what it is, and we need now to support him."

Asked on NBC if the no-fly zone is too late, Mullen said: "I think that's speculation. ... I don't know that going two weeks ago would have turned this one way or another."

Another Republican senator, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, said on Fox News Sunday he is worried that the U.S. is "taking the back seat rather than a leadership role."

Said Graham:

"We used to relish leading the free world. Now, it's almost like leading the free leader is an inconvenience. I want to be a good partner. I want the Arab world, young Arabs and young Iranians, see us as a strong, effective partner for their hope and dreams of being free. And I think the president caveated this way too much, it's almost like it's a nuisance."
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...mullen-libya/1

Hall Of Fame
    Obama could literally s*ck Reagan's d*ck and you'd be complaining he's not fondling the balls enough.

Go grab a tampon....or some Midol.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    "i was against bombing libya before i was for it..."

and the defense of supreme leader ayatollah hussien obama continues from his loyal disciples...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post

and the defense of supreme leader ayatollah hussien obama continues from his loyal disciples...
    No one is defending anything, bub. But the menstrual blood just continues to ooze from between your thighs.

Now...go complain that someone left the toilet seat up...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

No one is defending anything, bub. But the menstrual blood just continues to ooze from between your thighs.

Now...go complain that someone left the toilet seat up...
    yuo- that's what i figured....

care to comment on the cluster fuq of a decision on the mission you boy obama has turned the three day old "no fly zone" into???

JetsFan2012
    The term "installing" suggests the goal of regime change.
    Sounds a lot like nation-building in the Middle East.

All Pro
    I'm missing the news bulletin here.... what's new that we haven't heard before? Obama states it was U.S. declared policy that they wanted Quaddafi out. In this instance they are focused on a different priority: neutralizing his attacks. Subtext: the U.S., and the allies, would be more than happy if they "accidentally" took out old Mumar with a stray missile...while engaging in "humanitarian" missile attacks Eat your cake and have it too... problem for me is that this whole mission is muddy and unpredictable, and we may be facing terrorist retaliation from the nut job and his cronies...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I'm missing the news bulletin here.... what's new that we haven't heard before? Obama states it was U.S. declared policy that they wanted Quaddafi out. In this instance they are focused on a different priority: neutralizing his attacks. Subtext: the U.S., and the allies, would be more than happy if they "accidentally" took out old Mumar with a stray missile...while engaging in "humanitarian" missile attacks Eat your cake and have it too... problem for me is that this whole mission is muddy and unpredictable, and we may be facing terrorist retaliation from the nut job and his cronies...
    did he leave out the jcos on the email list to explain this before he headed to sunny rio??

Hall Of Fame
    yuo- that's what i figured....

care to comment on the cluster fuq of a decision on the mission you boy obama has turned the three day old "no fly zone" into???
    Yup. Kill everyone in between Morocco and India. The same stand I've have had about Middle Eastern a**holes for a long time.

Do you have a comment? Or are you just gonna whine like my mother-in-law?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Yup. Kill everyone in between Morocco and India. The same stand I've have had about Middle Eastern a**holes for a long time.

Do you have a comment? Or are you just gonna whine like my mother-in-law?
    my comment??? your boy obama continues to prove he is a complete fuk-up...

Reform vs. regime change
    Obama says Qadhafi could stay

President Obama indicated on Tuesday that Muammar Qadhafi may still have an opportunity to “change his approach” and put in place “significant reforms” in the Libyan government.

Asked by NBC’s Savannah Guthrie what the U.S. commitment is in Libya if Qadhafi remains in power but continues to pose a threat to his people, Obama appeared to leave the door open for political reforms.

“You are absolutely right that as long as Qadhafi remains in power, and unless he changes his approach and there are significant reforms in the Libyan government that allow the Libyan people to express themselves, there are still going be potential threats against Libyan people—unless he is going to step down,” Obama said.

His quick shift back to what he had earlier stated—that Qadhafi must step down—is more in line with the conclusion that he and his administration officials had come to weeks ago. But a return to the call for “political reforms” is reminiscent of the White House position on Egypt during its upheaval.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/p...9e3b040ab.html

Hall Of Fame

http://www.politico.com/politico44/p...9e3b040ab.html
    You are a neverending whiner. What do you want him to say? Better yet, since you know better tell us what EXACTLY should of happened or what you would do next?

You have zero patience for anything he does, speak up or shut up. PK is right on about your PMS.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

yup....we're there to remove qadafi- but maybe he'll be able to stay...and what does yet another obama apologist add to the thread???

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    You are a neverending whiner. What do you want him to say? Better yet, since you know better tell us what EXACTLY should of happened or what you would do next?
    You have zero patience for anything he does, speak up or shut up. PK is right on about your PMS.
    funny sh!t coming from some liberal hack who masquerades and pretends to be an independent ywt does nothing but whine like a b!tch about chris christie and the new republican congress...oh wait- i forgot, they are republicans so they don't deserve patience and you're good at pretend...

as far as what would i have done?? first i would not have sent any military into any action without a congressional resolution....second i would not have left for vacay with the family the day the bombs were dropping...

but hey- i'm just some stupid conservative- all you straight forward independents know better....lmao

Hall Of Fame
    yup....we're there to remove qadafi- but maybe he'll be able to stay...and what does yet another obama apologist add to the thread???

funny sh!t coming from some liberal hack who masquerades and pretends to be an independent ywt does nothing but whine like a b!tch about chris christie and the new republican congress...oh wait- i forgot, they are republicans so they don't deserve patience and you're good at pretend...

as far as what would i have done?? first i would not have sent any military into any action without a congressional resolution....second i would not have left for vacay with the family the day the bombs were dropping...

but hey- i'm just some stupid conservative- all you straight forward independents know better....lmao
    LOL, I live in NJ and my taxes went up under Christie, what a great Gov! You wouldn't of left for a vacation? Oh, boy, he has met with 3 Presidents in Latin America, that is an awesome vacay!

I agree he should of went to Congress first, but we all know how that would of went, right along party lines.

What should he do next all wise one?

Hall Of Fame
    That's not really a comment.

Let's pretend McCain won the election. What course of action would you have wanted him to take with Libya?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    LOL, I live in NJ and my taxes went up under Christie, what a great Gov!
    wah- give him time....wah...wah!!!!

You wouldn't of left for a vacation? Oh, boy, he has met with 3 Presidents in Latin America, that is an awesome vacay!

I agree he should of went to Congress first, but we all know how that would of went, right along party lines.

What should he do next all wise one?
    guess the vacation wasn't such a good idea- but anyone with half a brain could figure that out....

Obama may cut short Latin America trip
    As the U.S.-led military strike against Libya continues to demand attention, the White House revises President Obama's itinerary in El Salvador. Obama is scheduled to return to Washington on Wednesday evening, but now the agenda for the day is in question.

Reporting from San Salvador and Washington—
    President Obama may hasten his return to Washington as the U.S.-led military strike against Libya increasingly distracts from his Latin America trip.

As Air Force One touched down in El Salvador on Tuesday afternoon, the White House announced changes to the president's itinerary. A visit planned for Wednesday to the Metropolitan Cathedral in San Salvador, where slain Archbishop Oscar Romero is buried, was shifted to Tuesday. Obama was also scheduled Wednesday to tour Mayan ruins one hour outside the capital city, but it is now unclear whether he would do so.

Photos: U.S., allies launch attacks in Libya

Obama is set to hold a bilateral meeting with President Mauricio Funes of El Salvador on Tuesday, followed by a joint news conference. Funes hosts the president and first lady for an official dinner Tuesday night. Obama was scheduled to return to Washington on Wednesday evening.

Despite his absence, White House officials have maintained that the president is deeply engaged in the military effort to enforce U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973. They offered a detailed account, for instance, of the president's notification of a downed U.S. fighter jet over Libya, saying he received word from National Security Adviser Tom Donilon at his hotel suite in Santiago on Monday evening, and further updates during a dinner hosted by the Chilean president.

Obama also spoke Monday with the leaders of Turkey and Qatar to discuss the Libyan strikes. On Tuesday, the president conferred from Air Force One by phone with his national security team, then spoke with British Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

"They reviewed the substantial progress that's been made in terms of halting the advance of Kadafi's forces on Benghazi as well as the establishment of a no-fly zone," deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes told reporters.

The president is facing mounting pressure from lawmakers in both parties to provide greater details about the U.S. military's effort in the region.
    http://www.fox43.com/news/nationworl...,4722090.story

if the situation wasn't so pathetic (obozo's cluster fuq of a plan and the response of apologist clowns on this board) it would be hysterical...

Hall Of Fame
    if the situation wasn't so pathetic (obozo's cluster fuq of a plan and the response of apologist clowns on this board) it would be hysterical...
    Please explain why installing a no fly zone over Libya is a "cluster fuq of a plan".

Veteran
    CBTE has a stick up his ass so big it makes all of San Francisco jealous.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Please explain why installing a no fly zone over Libya is a "cluster fuq of a plan".
    lol- is that what he's doing?? installing a no fly zone???

he said it was about removing qadaffi...but then said there's a possibility qadaffi can stay....i'm sure the objectives will change again tomorrow....

Banned
    lol- is that what he's doing?? installing a no fly zone???

he said it was about removing qadaffi...but then said there's a possibility qadaffi can stay....i'm sure the objectives will change again tomorrow....
    While the policy of the U.S. is that Gaddafi should go, that's not why we are in Libya right now. We are joining an international coalition that is following the U.N. Security Council's resolution. If you read the resolution, it does not mention regime change. The Pentagon has said they have not been giving orders to go after Gaddafi. Unless we send ground troops in (President says he will not) I don't see how that's even possible. Gaddafi is probably a mile under the earth. Missiles aren't going to do any good.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-23-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What's the end goal? Regime change? (Sound familiar?) One day he says Qadaffi must go, the next he talks about him staying with "fundamental changes." And ps: Iraq had a no-fly zone for 8 years leading up to Operation Iraqi Freedom, and it didn't keep Hussein from killing his countrymen. Afghanistan has a no fly zone today. Hey, can we say Libya = Quagmire? Giggity giggity....

You guys are comically tripping over each other's dicks trying to defend Obama's "plan," and even he doesn't know what the hell his plan is.