Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belichek's "an insult to his peers"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Belichek's "an insult to his peers"

Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com writes that Bill Belichek's absence from Tuesday's coaches breakfast at the NFL annual meeting isn'y about a media snub-the Patriots have made it clear they don't care about Belichek's relationship with the media. But Reiss adds in his opinion piece that Belichek's absence was "an insult to his peers."

Belichick's absence at the once-a-year event fuels the perception that he views himself as bigger than them. Consider the NFL head coaching fraternity. Put yourself in the shoes of the 31 other coaches who entered the Waldorf Astoria Ballroom at 7 a.m., found their reserved table, then looked to the middle of the room over the next 75 minutes to see Belichick's empty.

Belichick didn't break any rules, as the breakfast -- in which head coaches make themselves available to media members -- was not required by the NFL. He won't be fined. That doesn't mean the absence wasn't disrespectful to the rest of the coaches.

So this isn't about a media snub. This is about the feeling among some coaches and executives in the league that there are "Belichick Rules" and there are NFL rules. This is why they sometimes call the league office on various issues and say, "They're not doing it in New England, so why should we do it here?" Of course, this isn't the first time a coach has played hooky at the league's annual breakfast, the one time each year when all head coaches from a conference are in the same room together with media members. Check the archives and one might find a similar story with a different "Bill" as the subject. Bill Parcells missed a few coaches breakfasts back in the day.

The other coaches mainly took the high road when asked about Belichek's absence. I'm just going to try to conduct my business in a manner that I see fit and what I think is appropriate," said Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, turning a question on Belichick's absence inward. "I don't compare myself to any of these men. The battle I fight is a man-versus-himself battle. That's the way I approach my job."

This isn't the first time Belichick has missed a coaches breakfast. In fact, there have been some years when he was a no-show for the entire NFL meetings. This year, it's a bit of a different twist. He's here and simply decided not to attend, later joking with reporters, "Sorry I missed you this morning. Alarm clock just didn't go off." When 31 other coaches are in the room, and one isn't, the empty table stands out.

As does the message it sends to his peers in the head coaching fraternity.

[url]http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/15893/Belichek-s-absence-at-coaches-breakfast--an-insult-to-his-peers-/Default.aspx[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheating was one thing. That I can accept. At least he was trying to win a game for his team. I can understand that. But missing a breakfast with the other coaches? How dare he disrespect my coach and the NFL!

Screw him!

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Who gives a rat's ass really and how could ole Bill in good conscience even show up? Let's look at it this way, with all the cheating he has been "censured and fined" for over the years, whatever would he have to talk about with his colleagues?

"Hey Bill do you have a video camera in your bedroom and tape yourself, you know, spanking the monkey?" <Everybody laughs>

"Hey Big Billy, how's that married secretary that worked for Tom Coughlin's gang workin out? You still bangin her?" <Everybody laughs harder>

"Hey Rex, you know a little about vidcams, any chance you can tape Bill's feet and post it on line sayin those are your feet?" <Everybody roars with laughter now>

Please, the jokes could be endless and ole Bellicheat couldn't handle the heckling by his peers. There's your story.

;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's disrespectful and insulting. That's how he rolls.

BB always has and always will think the rules don't apply to him, that he's different from everyone else and can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. It's why everybody else hates him. He's a total prick... but he doesn't care about what people think.

He has no class. And it's comforting to know that he hasn't won a playoff game in a long time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NEW ORLEANS -- Patriots coach Bill Belichick did not attend this morning's "Coaches Breakfast", making him the lone head coach to miss the annual event. He joked with reporters about his absence upon leaving a meeting this afternoon.

"Sorry I missed you this morning. Alarm clock just didn't go off," he cracked.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots[/url]

If one of his players used that excuse they'd be cut

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, I want to say I have absolutely no problem with Bellichick not attending the coaches breakfast. Currently, a coaches job keeps them working from dawn until dusk and later. Most coaches live in their office. It's a very hard job to be a HC in this day and age. So if the guy wants a blow after what? 11 straight years of coaching an NFL football team? I say have at it.

But what I find to be laughable is Mike Reiss' perception is that Bellichick feels he is bigger than the other coaches? If that's the case, then BB truly needs to do some soul searching. He just got his A$$ handed to him in his home stadium in the very biggest of games against the hated Jets. How this idiot could think he is bigger than the other coaches?!:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3985844]First of all, I want to say I have absolutely no problem with Bellichick not attending the coaches breakfast. Currently, a coaches job keeps them working from dawn until dusk and later. Most coaches live in their office. It's a very hard job to be a HC in this day and age. So if the guy wants a blow after what? 11 straight years of coaching an NFL football team? I say have at it.

But what I find to be laughable is [B]Mike Reiss' perception is that Bellichick feels he is bigger than the other coaches?[/B] If that's the case, then BB truly needs to do some soul searching. He just got his A$$ handed to him in his home stadium in the very biggest of games against the hated Jets. How this idiot could think he is bigger than the other coaches?!:D[/QUOTE]

I think that is the main message to take from his actions. If Reiss is correct, and Belichick's history certainly supports him, then Belichick deserves to get ripped.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are we really discussing class with a guy who stole money from the jets to quit after one day?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;3985885]Are we really discussing class with a guy who stole money from the jets to quit after one day?[/QUOTE]

GOOD POINT

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;3985885]Are we really discussing class with a guy who stole money from the jets to quit after one day?[/QUOTE]

Or a guy who sleeps with other mens wives and cheats the entire NFL for a decade.

Stay Classy New England

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course we are. We're JI. ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What were they serving?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3985952]What were they serving?[/QUOTE]

Cheaties and milk

[IMG]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.secsportsfan.com/images/nfl-is-protecting-its-history-and-the-patriots-21433434.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.secsportsfan.com/nfl-is-protecting-its-history-and-the-patriots.html&usg=__VmMIoUhRyVLAe33o-D77WzeE9pc=&h=400&w=286&sz=24&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=XLhY-bSkyyV6wM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=100&ei=x1aJTfb5GZS4sAOI0O2RDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3DWheaties,%2BBill%2BBelichick%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1676%26bih%3D1113%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=292&oei=x1aJTfb5GZS4sAOI0O2RDA&page=1&ndsp=58&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=59&ty=28[/IMG]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3985788]Check the archives and one might find a similar story with a different "Bill" as the subject. Bill Parcells missed a few coaches breakfasts back in the day.[/QUOTE]

TRADITION!!!!

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3985965]TRADITION!!!![/QUOTE]

TRAAAAAA - [I]DITION![/I]

My son was in his HS's rendition of this play 4 years ago. He was good. The play was better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missing breakfast? They should take away a 1st round draft pick for that. :D

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... rex wouldn't have missed that breakfast for anything!!! ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was probably taping his getting it on with another coaches wife while
    robbing another owner's bank account. GENIUS!

(and the rest of them are eating hotel food while he is Caligula!)

I love our coach. He has his priorities right!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3985988]TRAAAAAA - [I]DITION![/I]

My son was in his HS's rendition of this play 4 years ago. He was good. The play was better.[/QUOTE]

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...maybe he was filimg a video of his sucking his gf's toes and then posting it on some swingers site?