Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 121

Thread: 2011 New York Red Bulls

  1. #1

    2011 New York Red Bulls

    I've seen a couple other Red Bulls fans here, so I figured I'd try the thread again.

    Nice win on Saturday. Great march in with the supporters groups from the bars, as well. For the local soccer fans who haven't been, it's a great place to watch a game at a reasonable price. If it's what you're into, grab a ticket in Section 133, 101, or 102 (supporters sections). It's a good time.

  2. #2
    im coming at this from a diff perspective, i've started following the Philadelphia Union this year and the Red Bulls seem their their stiffest test... at least in the early season. Pretty good team they have over there.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im coming at this from a diff perspective, i've started following the Philadelphia Union this year and the Red Bulls seem their their stiffest test... at least in the early season. Pretty good team they have over there.
    Indeed, I'm expecting big things this season. Henry in good form and I really like the kid Agudelo, who scored their goal on Saturday. Got some solid midfielders and the middle of the defense should be great with Marquez and Ream. Red Bulls/Union looks like it's developing into a nice rivalry, as well.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Indeed, I'm expecting big things this season. Henry in good form and I really like the kid Agudelo, who scored their goal on Saturday. Got some solid midfielders and the middle of the defense should be great with Marquez and Ream. Red Bulls/Union looks like it's developing into a nice rivalry, as well.
    Huge Red Bulls fan as of mid year last year. Between the new stadium (probably the best one in MLS) and the Henry rumors I decided to check things out. Quickly realized that MLS soccer has come a long way compared to 10 years ago when the quality just wasn't good enough. Now it's pretty exciting. It was no mistake that so many of the European teams came over last year in their preseason and were getting outplayed.

    Anyway, RBNY look extremely good this year. Agudelo is going to be a star, if he isn't already and they added a couple of really good players. The new guy Tainio played Defensive mid last week and was excellent. Marquez and Ream are as good as you get passing out of the back end.


    Union are good and will be good considering they have a very good coach. Once they prove that they are a solid team this year, I think they'll spend the money and add a Designated Player during the next transfer window. No idea who it could be, but anything would improve the team. Expecting the Red Bulls to add their 3rd and final DP as well.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

    Anyway, RBNY look extremely good this year. Agudelo is going to be a star, if he isn't already and they added a couple of really good players. The new guy Tainio played Defensive mid last week and was excellent. Marquez and Ream are as good as you get passing out of the back end.
    A couple guys who could potentially have quite an impact on the US squad in the future, as well. Agudelo was phenomenal on Saturday and is only 18, so he's got great potential. Who knows how good he will be once 2014 rolls around. Ream was phenomenal last season. Played every single minute of the Red Bulls season and only looks to get better. I believe he's only 23.

  6. #6
    Not quite Red Bulls, but curious,

    Anyone going to the US/Argentina game on Saturday? I'm quite excited. I went to the last one a few years ago and it was an incredibly exciting 0-0 game (I'm not being sarcastic). We're getting there at 3pm to tailgate.

    I'm looking forward to going to a few more Red Bulls games this year. I went to one game against Tottenham in the summer and a playoff game and a great time (though I was dismayed that they lost the game, I was looking forward to going to another playoff game)

    Ream and Agudelo look like the real deal and wihl I would say that there was a bit of an overstatement that it's on the level of European soccer. It's certainly better than a decade ago. Between the possibilities of the NBA strike and the NFL lockout, the MLS has a chance to get a little sports coverage in the fall.

    MLS will always be a niche sport in the US (Simply because top soccer talent plays overseas) but they do average about 15,000 fans a game, and have some great regional rivalries.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Not quite Red Bulls, but curious,

    Anyone going to the US/Argentina game on Saturday? I'm quite excited. I went to the last one a few years ago and it was an incredibly exciting 0-0 game (I'm not being sarcastic). We're getting there at 3pm to tailgate.

    I'm looking forward to going to a few more Red Bulls games this year. I went to one game against Tottenham in the summer and a playoff game and a great time (though I was dismayed that they lost the game, I was looking forward to going to another playoff game)

    Ream and Agudelo look like the real deal and wihl I would say that there was a bit of an overstatement that it's on the level of European soccer. It's certainly better than a decade ago. Between the possibilities of the NBA strike and the NFL lockout, the MLS has a chance to get a little sports coverage in the fall.

    MLS will always be a niche sport in the US (Simply because top soccer talent plays overseas) but they do average about 15,000 fans a game, and have some great regional rivalries.
    I wanted to get a group together to go the game on Saturday, but it ended up falling through.

    Agreed about the pending lockouts possibly helping out the MLS a bit. Like you said, their attendance figures aren't bad, but it's the TV ratings that are pretty dismal. Hopefully they get a boost.

  8. #8
    Saturday's game is gonna be interesting. Ream, Agudelo, Marquez, Richards and Bouna (not sure that he matters) are all gone. Henry might not play. Thankfully Columbus looks awful so we could still win this one even with half a team.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Saturday's game is gonna be interesting. Ream, Agudelo, Marquez, Richards and Bouna (not sure that he matters) are all gone. Henry might not play. Thankfully Columbus looks awful so we could still win this one even with half a team.
    No Henry, Agudelo, Richards, Ream, Marquez, Condoul, or Sutton. I was certainly pleased that they walked out of Columbus with a point. Columbus blows, but still quite pleased considering the circumstances. I thought Horwath, the keeper getting the spot start, did a very solid job.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    No Henry, Agudelo, Richards, Ream, Marquez, Condoul, or Sutton. I was certainly pleased that they walked out of Columbus with a point. Columbus blows, but still quite pleased considering the circumstances. I thought Horwath, the keeper getting the spot start, did a very solid job.
    Horwath was good.

    It was pretty ugly for the most part though. Tainio was still great at defensive mid and he's really been a great pickup. Dude is playing at DP money.

    Just need to add an attacking mid to replace Ballouchy at the next transfer window and we are close to unbeatable.

    Anyway, I was happy that they grinded out an ugly draw with all of those guys out. Henry is our best offensive player, and Agudelo is already not far behind. Throw in the passing of Marquez and Ream, and it's just a huge loss.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Horwath was good.

    It was pretty ugly for the most part though. Tainio was still great at defensive mid and he's really been a great pickup. Dude is playing at DP money.

    Just need to add an attacking mid to replace Ballouchy at the next transfer window and we are close to unbeatable.

    Anyway, I was happy that they grinded out an ugly draw with all of those guys out. Henry is our best offensive player, and Agudelo is already not far behind. Throw in the passing of Marquez and Ream, and it's just a huge loss.
    Indeed it was. Really didn't generate any scoring chances. Defense wasn't bad, Mendes played a very good game in the middle. Allowed a few chances that probably would have been buried by a better team, but they came out of it alive. Houston at Red Bull Arena on Saturday night.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Quickly realized that MLS soccer has come a long way compared to 10 years ago when the quality just wasn't good enough. Now it's pretty exciting.
    agreed. It's a far cry from La Liga or EPL but it's comparable to the Greek league or the Swiss league etc. It ain't bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Union are good and will be good considering they have a very good coach. Once they prove that they are a solid team this year, I think they'll spend the money and add a Designated Player during the next transfer window. No idea who it could be, but anything would improve the team. Expecting the Red Bulls to add their 3rd and final DP as well.
    the union/whitecaps match was a hack-fest... those teams were butchering each other all game. The white caps actually aint bad they have a DP Hassli who got a dumb red card but is really good player.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I've seen a couple other Red Bulls fans here, so I figured I'd try the thread again.

    Nice win on Saturday. Great march in with the supporters groups from the bars, as well. For the local soccer fans who haven't been, it's a great place to watch a game at a reasonable price. If it's what you're into, grab a ticket in Section 133, 101, or 102 (supporters sections). It's a good time.

    What is the parking like? I have heard it is a nightmare to get in and out of the parking lot.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    What is the parking like? I have heard it is a nightmare to get in and out of the parking lot.
    Yes, last year was quite the pain in the ass. It's only been one game so far this season, but I heard they improved it greatly. I don't know first hand because I took the train.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    agreed. It's a far cry from La Liga or EPL but it's comparable to the Greek league or the Swiss league etc. It ain't bad.



    the union/whitecaps match was a hack-fest... those teams were butchering each other all game. The white caps actually aint bad they have a DP Hassli who got a dumb red card but is really good player.
    I watched a bit of the first half of that game online Saturday. Another ugly game from what I saw but it was also kind of fun to watch. Hassli's first yellow was incredibly dumb.

    I saw on the MLS website that they had four forwards on the field at the same time during some of the second half. I guess LeToux dropped back some and was playing more in the midfield? Either way that's awesome.

  16. #16
    Red Bulls make a "win now" trade today, which I can't really disagree with.

    Red Bulls acquire: Dwayne De Rosario

    Toronto acquire: Tony Tchani, Danleigh Borman, and 2012 First Round pick

    http://www.nj.com/redbulls/index.ssf...e_rosario.html

    Red Bulls trade for All-Star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario

    Red Bulls coach Hans Backe insisted throughout the preseason that the team had enough players who could score goals and was not worried as the 2011 season began without leading scorer Juan Pablo Angel, who was not re-signed.

    But after watching his team struggle to score just one goal in the first two games, Backe realized a move had to be made for an established goal scorer.

    The Red Bulls today acquired All-Star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario from Toronto FC in exchange for midfielder Tony Tchani, midfielder/defender Danleigh Borman and their 2012 natural first-round pick in the Major League Soccer SuperDraft.

    According to someone familiar with the trade who is not authorized to speak for the team, Toronto will pick up a significant portion of De Rosario’s $443,750 salary.

    “Dwayne has been one of the league’s best players over the past several years, and we are thrilled that he is a Red Bull,” Red Bulls general manager and sporting director Erik Soler said. “He is one of the most dangerous players MLS has seen in the attacking third and he is a true leader both on and off the field.

    “We had to trade Tony and Danleigh, two very talented, young players who both need more playing time with a first team in MLS to develop their potential. At the end, we think this is a massive step in our quest toward the MLS Cup title.”

    De Rosario, 32, is expected to be in uniform tonight when the Red Bulls host the Houston Dynamo at Red Bull Arena.

    De Rosario has captured four MLS Cups. He began his 11-year career with the San Jose Earthquakes in 2001, winning a title that year and again in 2003. The Quakes relocated to Houston in 2006 and the Dynamo won the championship in 2006 and in 2007. The 5-foot-11, 178-pound De Rosario has 78 goals and 52 assists in his career, including a career-high 15 goals last season.

    He has also scored 15 goals in 55 games for Canada and was a member of the team that won the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

    De Rosario was named MVP of the 2001 and 2007 MLS Cups, was the All-Star Game MVP in 2006 and scored the league’s Goal of the Year in 2004 and 2005.

    Tchani was the prize of the Red Bulls’ 2010 draft, selected No. 2 overall out of Virginia. He played 27 games as a rookie, collecting one goal and three assists.

    The versatile Borman was in his fourth season after being taken in the first round (No. 7 overall) in the 2008 MLS Supplemental Draft out of Rhode Island.

    He played in 59 games and registered four goals and two assists.

    Frank Giase: fgiase@starledger.com

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Red Bulls make a "win now" trade today, which I can't really disagree with.

    Red Bulls acquire: Dwayne De Rosario

    Toronto acquire: Tony Tchani, Danleigh Borman, and 2012 First Round pick

    http://www.nj.com/redbulls/index.ssf...e_rosario.html
    How valuable are draft picks in the MLS? Are the more like NFL, or NBA?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    How valuable are draft picks in the MLS? Are the more like NFL, or NBA?
    I'm no expert by any means, but I believe it's more similar to the NBA than it is to the NFL.

  19. #19
    Not a good draw tonight. They need to get the win against the inferior opponent at home. Condoul made a **** play on the goal by Houston. This team is ready to win now, but they have a glaring weakness at goalkeeper.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,130
    About 20 "supporters" came into Bello's in Newark chanting away as the 2nd half began. They don't stay for the whole game?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us