Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 New York Red Bulls

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    About 20 "supporters" came into Bello's in Newark chanting away as the 2nd half began. They don't stay for the whole game?
    That's odd. Maybe they were ejected from the game or something. They always stay the full 90.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    About 20 "supporters" came into Bello's in Newark chanting away as the 2nd half began. They don't stay for the whole game?
    I read metrofanatic.com, which is probably the best (possibly the only) Red Bulls message board, and I found out the deal with this. The supporters club in one section had a walk out in around the 40th minute because one of the members was ejected from the game for what they thought was unfair reasons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big game tonight in Philly. Game is on ESPN2. Would love to walk out of there with 3 points and atop the East. Hopefully, with DeRo having a week of practice with the team, the attack is clicking on all cylinders.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so i just got back from this game... pretty cool stuff

PPL park had it's biggest crowd ever, over 19k standing room only. the sons of ben is really awesome. they really keep the place rocking and rolling. without that supporters section it would be a really dull place to watch a game.

Henry even tho he's a little old, what a beast that guy is. He was just running people over... Aguelo wow what ball skills I can see why Bradley likes him... hit a couple off the woodwork, he should have scored tonight. Great player hopefully does well in the future US Soccer squads

the union are so much better with Mwanga and Torres instead of Ruiz and Mapp but i think Nowak is handling the situation well letting the vets play more and allowing the young guys to grow into their positions...

truth be told the Red Bulls kinda got robbed tonight, they had way more offense and chances but that seems to be the union plays... grind it out steal the win 1-0... not pretty but they scored, there was doop, and I'll take it.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    so i just got back from this game... pretty cool stuff

PPL park had it's biggest crowd ever, over 19k standing room only. the sons of ben is really awesome. they really keep the place rocking and rolling. without that supporters section it would be a really dull place to watch a game.

Henry even tho he's a little old, what a beast that guy is. He was just running people over... Aguelo wow what ball skills I can see why Bradley likes him... hit a couple off the woodwork, he should have scored tonight. Great player hopefully does well in the future US Soccer squads

the union are so much better with Mwanga and Torres instead of Ruiz and Mapp but i think Nowak is handling the situation well letting the vets play more and allowing the young guys to grow into their positions...

truth be told the Red Bulls kinda got robbed tonight, they had way more offense and chances but that seems to be the union plays... grind it out steal the win 1-0... not pretty but they scored, there was doop, and I'll take it.
    Terrible loss for RBNY. Controlled possession and blew many opportunities to score. I think the team just needs more time to gel, but it's a little frustrating to watch. Henry just isn't in good form right now and DeRo had several foolish turnovers. Ream is a terrific defender, but I don't know what the hell he was thinking on that pass that led to the Philly goal. Agudelo continued to make things happen, but he should have buried that second one. I can't wait until Sutton is cleared to play again. Condoul makes me hold my breath every time the ball goes near him. He nearly let in an absolutely awful goal (yet again), but the ball just barely bounced over the crossbar. He is just awful with his feet, as well.

Oh well, it's still so early in the season and they have time to get on track. Once they start to gel, they can be lethal and extremely tough to beat.

As for Sons of Ben, it's pretty much the same deal at Red Bull Arena. Without the supporters sections, you would be able to hear a pin drop in the place. Members of the Red Bulls supporters clubs had about 500 guys down there tonight. I believe they were in the section next to SOB's, in the corner.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 04-10-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Ream is a terrific defender, but I don't know what the hell he was thinking on that pass that led to the Philly goal.
    I also root for Ream cause the US team needs him to step up but that was a really bad pass... the goal was nice but the assist was nicer. We spoke about designated players, before

Im suspecting that the Union want to make Mwanga their DP which is why they haven't gotten one... It's a goal they are keeping for him... obviously tough to keep a very good striker in the USA but Mwanga went to Oregon State, he might stay if the money is right. Maybe not... but it's fun to hope.

in general these are 2 different ways to build a team... red bulls is kinda like the ny yankees approach, get as much talent as possible (their jersey #9 and #10 didn't start) and jam em together, hope they gel. the knicks also did this with the anthony trade, it's a very New York way to build a team.

the union are trying to get a home grown core of a couple stars and supplement that with some cheapish vets. the Mondragon signing was excellent. besides Torres and Mwanga they are also developing Amobi Okugo and Jack McInerney.

put it another way the Red Bull have a ton of talent but Danny Mwanga at 19 years old might have been the best player on either team last night. If he were American he'd on the fast track to replace Altadore on the National team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also root for Ream cause the US team needs him to step up but that was a really bad pass... the goal was nice but the assist was nicer. We spoke about designated players, before

Im suspecting that the Union want to make Mwanga their DP which is why they haven't gotten one... It's a goal they are keeping for him... obviously tough to keep a very good striker in the USA but Mwanga went to Oregon State, he might stay if the money is right. Maybe not... but it's fun to hope.

in general these are 2 different ways to build a team... red bulls is kinda like the ny yankees approach, get as much talent as possible (their jersey #9 and #10 didn't start) and jam em together, hope they gel. the knicks also did this with the anthony trade, it's a very New York way to build a team.

the union are trying to get a home grown core of a couple stars and supplement that with some cheapish vets. the Mondragon signing was excellent. besides Torres and Mwanga they are also developing Amobi Okugo and Jack McInerney.

put it another way the Red Bull have a ton of talent but Danny Mwanga at 19 years old might have been the best player on either team last night. If he were American he'd on the fast track to replace Altadore on the National team.
    He absolutely can play for America. Just needs citizenship. He even told goal.com or foxsoccer.com something about it being a dream to play for the US in the World Cup.

He has no CAPs for Congo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    He absolutely can play for America. Just needs citizenship. He even told goal.com or foxsoccer.com something about it being a dream to play for the US in the World Cup.

He has no CAPs for Congo.
    And hopefully he goes over seas for a club team eventually, if he does end up playing for USA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    And hopefully he goes over seas for a club team eventually, if he does end up playing for USA.
    Yup. Same goes for Agueldo. They dont need to leave now though for like the Belgian league to be a reserve. Lots of people feel this way. However, the MLS has risen to the point where it can be a nice springboard league. They should go when they get real offers(actual playing time) to play in Scotland/Greece/Turkey/wherever. I never get too excited when one of the Big 4 leagues show interest.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaenon Williams and Zac MacMath too. Chris Agorsor was a big time prospect too before he hurt his knee at UVA. He could be a good player too if the knee holds up. The Union has a ton of young American talent.

My thoughts on the Red Bulls are this. Last nights game was obviously disappointing and the fact they've only scored twice in 4 games is very concerning especially considering all the offensive fire power they have.

Over all though its probably not that big of a big deal. The Supporters Shield was probably never going to happen. RSL is on another level then the rest of the league and should win it easily.

Theres plenty of time to get their act together. There aren't 3 better teams in the East then them so one of the top 3 seeds should be a pretty easy goal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Shaenon Williams and Zac MacMath too. Chris Agorsor was a big time prospect too before he hurt his knee at UVA. He could be a good player too if the knee holds up. The Union has a ton of young American talent.
    the red bulls will be fine... my last Union comment there was a player #17 Keon Daniel from Trinidad and Tobago... unheralded but played very well.. i had to get a program to figure out who he was... dreads covered his name... goal.com gave him a 7.0

http://www.goal.com/en-us/match/5841...ew-york/report

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just re-watched last nights game today. Great win. Totally dominated from start to finish. Still not great, but I thought Henry played a bit better and of course got the header off the beautiful ball from Rodgers. Maybe that will spark something with him. Rodgers was freakin' great. Wasn't optimistic about him upon his arrival, but he seems to be looking better and better each week. Him emerging could be a great help, as there isn't much depth up top.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looked like such a relief for Henry to gey that goal, he was pressing so much and had so many chances. Glad he got it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henry really played well, as did that #9 with the 2 goals. Nice win RBNY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, dominant performance tonight. Henry keeps it up with another 2 goals and Agudelo with the SICK goal at the end. Nothing like completely embarrassing the hated rivals in their ****ty building.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 04-22-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This Saturday is a real test to see if this team is the "same old Metro", which I don't think they are. It's a true trap game. Red Bulls are hot with these couple decisive victories. KC has lost their past 2. They have a strong attack, but are equally as bad in the defensive third. Red Bulls can really exploit their defense. On paper, this match should without a doubt end in a Red Bulls win. I expect another victory by multiple goals. I hope Backe decides to stick with the same starting 11 in this one, providing Lindpere is healthy enough to go. He missed practice yesterday with a knee injury.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to check out the stadium last night. Sparse crowd, horrible parking setup, great stadium, decent beer selection. I scored 6th row seats for face value @ $40. Damn good value compared to other sports venues. Not a big roundball fan but I'd go again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to check out the stadium last night. Sparse crowd, horrible parking setup, great stadium, decent beer selection. I scored 6th row seats for face value @ $40. Damn good value compared to other sports venues. Not a big roundball fan but I'd go again.
    Glad you enjoyed yourself. It really is a great place to watch a game. Agreed, parking situation is atrocious.

Announced attendance was just north of 20K, which I believe is the highest since the opener. However, that is just number of tickets sold and not the actual number of butts in the seats. This was the first match of the season I missed, so I didn't get to see how the crowd looked or how loud they were.

How did the team look? I forgot to set my DVR so I need to look for an encore showing.