Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One Year Later: Time doesn't change views on health care law

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

One Year Later: Time doesn't change views on health care law

One Year Later: Time doesn't change views on health care law

(CNN) -- One year after President Barack Obama signed the health care reform bill into law, a new national poll indicates that attitudes toward the plan have not budged.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Wednesday, on the one year anniversary of the signing of the law, 37 percent of Americans support the measure, with 59 percent opposed. That's basically unchanged from last March, when 39 percent supported the law and 59 percent opposed the measure.

“It's worth remembering that opposition to the bill came from both the left and the right last year, and that has not changed either,“ says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “In 2010, about a quarter of the health care bill's opponents disliked the bill because it was not liberal enough - the same as today. That works out to 13 percent of all Americans who oppose the bill because it did not go far enough. Forty-three percent oppose it because it was too liberal.“

The passage of health care reform was seen as the signature domestic achievement of the president's first two years in office. The law was a major issue in the midterm elections and with many Republicans continuing to push to either repeal or defund the plan, health care will most likely remain a very important issue in the 2012 election.

In what was seen as a largely symbolic move, the GOP controlled House voted earlier this year to repeal the law. At the same time, a number of legal cases that aim to overturn the measure are advancing through the federal court system.

With all this in mind, the poll continues to indicate a partisan divide, but also a gender gap among people who oppose the health care law.

“Men and women dislike the new health care law in equal measure, but not necessarily for the same reasons,“ Holland says. “Nearly all men who oppose the law do so because it is too liberal. But a third of the women who dislike the law feel that way because it is not liberal enough.“

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey was conducted March 18-20, with 1,012 people questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

Two other polls released in the past week, by Gallup and Kaiser Family Foundation, also indicate that Americans are divided over the health care law.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,4599411.story

i used to think obozo was recently directing the SCOTUS to lay off ruling on obozocare because he wants to implement it....i now think he's just trying to soften the embarrassment of yet another policy failure...

Hall Of Fame
    The other side of the coin.

A year later, still no cure for politics in health care
    James Rosen | McClatchy Newspapers
    last updated: March 23, 2011 06:06:18 PM

WASHINGTON — The good doctor was frustrated.

Dr. David Cull, a prominent vascular surgeon in Greenville, S.C., had invented a small valve system that could spare 300,000 dialysis patients across the country enormous suffering — and save American taxpayers billions of dollars in Medicare costs.

Yet, Cull's hometown senator, Jim DeMint, refused to write a letter supporting the surgeon's application for a federal grant under the landmark health care bill that President Barack Obama signed into law a year ago this week.

As a hardcore conservative with a growing national following, DeMint opposes most federal spending.

Backing a doctor's grant application under the law — even from a constituent who lives in the same city as DeMint — would leave the senator open to charges of hypocrisy.

And DeMint, who vowed in 2009 to make health care Obama's "Waterloo," is leading Republican efforts in Congress to repeal the law to provide medical coverage to 31 million uninsured Americans — or, if that can't be done, to deny it funding.

"Senator DeMint opposed President Obama's government takeover of health care because he believed it would lead to higher insurance premiums, less choices for patients, and that it was unconstitutional," said DeMint spokesman Wesley Denton. "And that's exactly what has happened, and why ObamaCare must be repealed."

The dynamic between Cull and DeMint shows that a year after the law took effect, political warfare between its opponents and supporters continues to trump the search for better and more affordable health care.

To Cull, who's about to start clinical trials with 12 human subjects for his Hemoaccess Valve System, DeMint's stance on his fledgling device — and on health care more broadly — is pennywise but pound-foolish.

"It's a good sound bite on Fox News, but he's looking at it so simplistically," Cull said. "He's completely ignoring the huge (possible) savings."

Cull got the $249,479 Therapeutic Discovery Grant without DeMint's help — though the senator's aides say they provided guidance on applying for it — under a little publicized part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act aimed at encouraging cutting-edge biomedical research.

A similar dynamic is playing out in other states, where GOP lawmakers who stridently oppose Obama's health-care initiative collect campaign donations from constituents who receive research grants and other benefits provided under the law.

In Texas, top executives of Lynntech Inc., a pioneering research and technology firm that holds dozens of patents on the frontiers of science, contributed more than $20,000 to Sen. John Cornyn's successful 2008 re-election campaign.

As the head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, Cornyn was a leader of his party's failed bid to block the health care legislation.

In the year since the law's passage, Lynntech has obtained 19 Therapeutic Discovery grants, totaling $1.4 million, to develop a laser human-tissue welder, a cervical disc prosthesis and other potentially breakthrough medical products.

Nationwide, physicians and biomedical firms have obtained $1 billion in grants for projects ranging from biomarkers to detect concussions for a Florida group to a new drug to prevent chemotherapy-induced vomiting in cancer patients being developed by a California company.

Cull's valve system would replace a plastic stent that's been used for a half-century for patients with acute kidney failure.

Once inserted under the skin, blood flows through the tiny tube all the time, even though a kidney patient undergoes dialysis only nine hours a week on average.

The constant blood flow causes numerous painful complications, among them circulation impairment, clot formation, gangrene, finger ulcers and severe arm swelling.

A typical dialysis patient will undergo 10 to 12 operations over a lifetime to treat the complications, with 1 million performed each year — all paid for by Medicare.

With dialysis one of the few medical conditions covered by Medicare regardless of a patient's age, such surgeries cost taxpayers one-fifth — $15,000 — of the $75,000 a year the federal program pays per person with acute kidney failure.

Cull's valve system, by contrast, can be closed when not used for dialysis, cutting off the blood flow and thus decreasing or even eliminating the costly and painful complications.

The grant Cull got from the federal government supplements money from private investors.

"This is money that, in my view, was very well spent," he said of the grant. "If our valve doesn't work, the government will have lost $250,000. If it does work, they will have saved a gazillion dollars."

The partisan divide over the health care overhaul has moved from Congress to the courts.

Two Republican judges have deemed the law at least partially unconstitutional, while three Democratic judges have upheld it in a case expected to end up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

But even in states that are challenging the law, key agency heads are preparing for its implementation if it's upheld in Congress and the courts.

New South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, a rising star in the GOP firmament, has challenged Obama over the law in two face-to-face White House confrontations in recent months.

Yet back in her home state, Haley is using a $1 million grant obtained under the health care law to move toward setting up an insurance exchange as the law mandates.

Three states — California, Massachusetts and Utah — already have some forms of insurance exchanges.

Massachusetts' exchange, set up under its 2006 first-in-the-nation mandatory health insurance law — and championed by former Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican — buys private policies and then resells them to its residents.

Utah, by contrast, has a more restrained exchange that acts as a clearinghouse for insurance firms to sell their products in a transparent setting based on comparison shopping with uniform rules.

Using some of the law's grant money, a task force created via Haley's executive order will summon experts from those and other states to relay their experiences with the exchanges.

"Right now the law of the land is health-care reform," said Tony Keck, head of the South Carolina Health and Human Services Department. "Although we're fighting it and looking to produce our own alternatives, we also have to prepare to implement it to meet the deadlines. The risk of not preparing for any eventuality is simply too high in the form of penalties from the federal government and interruption to care."
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/03/2...logy-over.html

All Pro
    First of all, the polls show that unhappiness is divided on BOTH sides of the healthcare bill, which suggests the bill is actually right in the middle. Secondly, there is much of the bill that has not yet gone into effect, so how can anyone assess its effects intelligently when they haven't yet occurred? CBNY, are you really going to rely on empty polls for your poltical position? You should know better.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Waaaa.

Guy got private investors, as he should, and still got a grant. If his valve truly is as advertised, it WILL sell, it WILL help patients, it WILL reduce costs, and he WILL make a ton of money off it. See what happens when you let innovation and the free market ride? Stop whining that someone denied him free cash on the way.

Not the other side of the coin. Has little to do with the coin in fact.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Waaaa.

Guy got private investors, as he should, and still got a grant. If his valve truly is as advertised, it WILL sell, it WILL help patients, it WILL reduce costs, and he WILL make a ton of money off it. See what happens when you let innovation and the free market ride? Stop whining that someone denied him free cash on the way.

Not the other side of the coin. Has little to do with the coin in fact.
    Insurance has nothing to do with this, right?

Hall Of Fame
    Insurance has nothing to do with this, right?
    Here we go again

I'll pass. Until I get the sense that you even remotely understand the issue.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Here we go again

I'll pass. Until I get the sense that you even remotely understand the issue.
    The only constant in our country is the price of healthcare going up. It's a commodity and unless you are really rich or really poor the system f's you every step of the way.

Good enough for you?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    First of all, the polls show that unhappiness is divided on BOTH sides of the healthcare bill, which suggests the bill is actually right in the middle. Secondly, there is much of the bill that has not yet gone into effect, so how can anyone assess its effects intelligently when they haven't yet occurred? CBNY, are you really going to rely on empty polls for your poltical position? You should know better.
    lol- empty polls??? more than two dozen states are taking obamacare to court to get it overturned.....the GOP won the house back on the basis of defunding obamacare....

empty polls?? this is in large part why obama and his party were self-admittedly shellacked last November....

Banned
    The only constant in our country is the price of healthcare going up. It's a commodity and unless you are really rich or really poor the system f's you every step of the way.

Good enough for you?
    I'm not really rich or really poor...

I can pay my health insurance, deductables and other expenditures just fine...

Why do you pretend like they're doing this for the middle class?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    I'm not really rich or really poor...

I can pay my health insurance, deductables and other expenditures just fine...

Why do you pretend like they're doing this for the middle class?
    That's great, I just hope you never truly get sick and then you really get the great healthcare system.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

That's great, I just hope you never truly get sick and then you really get the great healthcare system.
    have you never had a really sick person in your family which resulted in problems with a health insurance company???

my father had two strokes- the second one killed him after four days on life support....

my mom had a knee replacement...

i had an uncle on life support for a week after complications from having his coratid artery cleared....

all in the last ten years....never once had a problem with an insurance company....had issues with getting straight answers from doctors- but no trouble from hospitals...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    have you never had a really sick person in your family which resulted in problems with a health insurance company???

my father had two strokes- the second one killed him after four days on life support....

my mom had a knee replacement...

i had an uncle on life support for a week after complications from having his coratid artery cleared....

all in the last ten years....never once had a problem with an insurance company....had issues with getting straight answers from doctors- but no trouble from hospitals...
    Yes and no issues from the hospitals, but the insurance company made absolutely sure they f'd us every step of the way.
    Battle after battle.

Banned
    Pay your ****ing premiums, pay your bills on time, get your mandatory check-ups and evals when you approach specified age limits within your policy and they can't do anything but pay what you agreed upon.

Hall Of Fame
    Pay your ****ing premiums, pay your bills on time, get your mandatory check-ups and evals when you approach specified age limits within your policy and they can't do anything but pay what you agreed upon.
    Sure.

All Pro
    LOL!!!
    Look at the numbers.
    37% support it while 13% oppose it because its NOT LIBERAL ENOUGH!!!!

That means 50% support some kind of health care reform (and do not think its too liberal).
    vs
    46% who simply do not support it because it is too liberal.

Thanks to CBNY for posting a poll that shows that more people support health care reform than those who oppose it.

All Pro
    Unless you come down with a serious illness and then the beancounters at your insurance company will dictate what tests/treatments you can have, not your doctor. Kind of the same fear people have about a public policy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    LOL!!!
    Look at the numbers.
    37% support it while 13% oppose it because its NOT LIBERAL ENOUGH!!!!

That means 50% support some kind of health care reform (and do not think its too liberal).
    vs
    46% who simply do not support it because it is too liberal.

Thanks to CBNY for posting a poll that shows that more people support health care reform than those who oppose it.
    Yes, that was my point as well. CBNY then did his bait and switch and started crowing about the states trying to overturn the healthcare bill. Nothing partisan about that effort of course.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    remember back when insurance companies could cap lifetime benefits or drop people for getting sick? those were the days my friends.

All League
    Health Care goes up because people are living longer, the immense strides in healthcare. Heart Transplants, Liver and Kidney Transplants all come at a high cost. Could the cost be controlled better hell yes. But what has the government ever controlled cost on. There no easy answers. But the government isn't an answer it is the problem IMHO!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Yes, that was my point as well. CBNY then did his bait and switch and started crowing about the states trying to overturn the healthcare bill. Nothing partisan about that effort of course.
    LMAO- bait and switch??? you mean facts- facts are the electorate voted those people in on the basis of repealing obozocare....

its a sh!t bill- always has been- always will be....something the majority of Americans have always believed....but please- keep spinning as more and more waivers are handed out so the people don't have to participate in it...