Thread: Jerricho Cotchery underwent back surgery last month

Jerricho Cotchery underwent back surgery last month

Jerricho Cotchery underwent back surgery last month for a nagging disc injury, a source confirmed with the Daily News this afternoon. The veteran wide receiver is expected to be ready for training camp in August assuming there’s a resolution to the labor impasse. He's currently rehabbing at a local facility near his New Jersey home.

Cotchery, who turns 29 this summer, missed two games last season with a slight groin tear suffered during a highlight-reel catch against the Browns. The veteran wide receiver finished with 41 catches for 433 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the regular season. Cotchery had a team-high 12 receptions during the Jets’ playoff run to the AFC Championship Game.

[URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2011/03/jerricho-cotchery-expected-to-be-fine-after-recent-back-surgery-for-disc-injury[/URL]

He won't be a Jet after 2011. Contract expires, turning 30, and the Jets are going to invest heavily in both Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards once this new CBA is reached.

I love Cotchery. Great wide receiver for the Jets, always a gentleman off the field. I will be sad when he goes.

All Pro
    That's a man right there. I've had a herniated disc, had a different surgery though. Anyway, that he could still play NFL games with that type of injury speaks for itself. Truly a player more valuable than his 40 time or size or raw talent and easily one of my favs in over 30 years as a fan.

All Pro

nyjetscap.com

Year Salary Cap Number Dead Money if Cut Cap Savings if Cut
    2007 $2,639,166 $10,102,500 -$7,463,334
    2008 $3,291,666 $8,333,334 -$5,041,668
    2009 $3,671,666 $6,666,668 -$2,995,002
    2010 $3,716,666 $5,000,002 -$1,283,336
    2011 $3,791,666 $3,333,336 $458,330
    2012 $3,991,670 $1,166,670 $2,325,000

[QUOTE=124;3986527]He won't be a Jet after 2011. Contract expires, turning 30, and the Jets are going to invest heavily in both Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards once this new CBA is reached.[/QUOTE]

Isn't his deal through 2012 :i_dont_kn

All Pro
    Well that would explain the unusual number of dropped passes he had last season. Hope this helps him get back to his usual abilities.

All League
    Per Espn

It was an out-of-character season for the sure-handed Jerricho Cotchery, who dropped a team-high eight passes -- and now we know why.

Unbeknownst to the public, the New York Jets' veteran wide receiver played with a painful herniated disk throughout the season and underwent back surgery Feb. 3, Cotchery told ESPNNewYork.com Wednesday.

The procedure was a microdiscectomy. Cotchery said doctors "shaved off" the piece of the disc that was pressing against a nerve. He said the condition worsened in October, causing shooting pain down his leg and into his foot. He decided to tough it out, waiting to address it until after the season. In retrospect, he wishes he had the surgery before the 2010 season.

"It wasn't a good feeling," Cotchery said. "It was pretty painful. I wouldn't want any football player to have to go through that."

Cotchery said his rehab is going well and he hopes to start running in three to four weeks. He's confident he'll be ready for training camp -- if there is a training camp.

Because of the lockout, Cotchery isn't permitted inside the Jets' facility, forcing him to rehab at a private facility in New Jersey.

"That's the toughest thing, not being around the people that know my body the best," he said. "I can't even talk to [the Jets' trainers], that's the crazy part about it. I like the place I go to, but everything I need is in the Jets' facility."

Even though Cotchery is confident about a full recovery, his surgery adds more uncertainty to the up-in-air receiving corps. He's the Jets' only experienced wideout under contract. Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith are free agents.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum has said he's hoping to re-sign all three players, but that might be difficult. A lot will depend on the new collective bargaining agreement.

It was a difficult year for Cotchery, who lost his starting job to Holmes and missed two games with a partially torn groin.

In fact, he hurt his groin on one of the signature plays of the season. His groin popped while running a route against the Browns, but he hopped eight times to get open and made a diving catch. Some teammates called it one of the greatest plays they'd ever seen.

Cotchery finished with 41 receptions for 433 yards and two touchdowns. In the playoffs, he led the Jets with 12 catches, although he did have a drop against the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game.

His back was an issue last offseason, but he decided to hold off on surgery, hoping it would heal with rehab and exercise. It didn't. He said it didn't require daily treatment, but would flare up on a fairly regular basis. He played through it, risking permanent damage.

"You try to eliminate that thought, but it's in the back of your mind," he said. "Chances are, if you have a herniated disc, it's probably going to rupture at some point."

Cotchery is upbeat about his prognosis.

"My back is feeling good and I'm progressing really well," he said. "I can't wait to get back on the field."

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.

Hall Of Fame
    As a team we need to find ways to get more players like Cotch. Solid performers whose contracts do not break the bank and at the end of the day where the performances on the field were better than the money that was paid out for them.

Hopefully he sticks around for a while

Jets Insider VIP
    I love Cotch but outside of the New England playoff game and that awesome catch against Cleveland he was pretty bad last year.

Hopefully he returns to form next year.

Get Well J Co bc the jets are going to need u sooner or later..:yes: i think the jets should draft a WR or bring in a solid backup FA.

All Pro
    Cotch is a true Jet. He's accepted a smaller role with extraordinary class.

The groin pop catch is the defining play of his career.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;3986771]I love Cotch but outside of the New England playoff game and that awesome catch against Cleveland he was pretty bad last year.

Hopefully he returns to form next year.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

By far his worst year as a Jet.

If both Edwards and Holmes are brought back I'd like to see Cotchery fall down another notch, down to the fourth option at receiver, behind Keller who should be the third option, as he proved in the first four games last season when he played that role.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... def explains his diminished production ...

... love the way cotch handles himself on & off the field ...

... gonna check youtube to see if i can rewatch the vid of that catch ...

(found it - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzr1bTPxDzk[/url] )

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 03-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3987129]... def explains his diminished production ...

... love the way cotch handles himself on & off the field ...

... gonna check youtube to see if i can rewatch the vid of that catch ...

(found it - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzr1bTPxDzk[/url] )

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Nice find LJR.

Ok after another view I take back the negative I posted about him earlier.

Cotch can do no wrong, what a catch!

the guy deserves to be a lifetime jet. no other way around it. he had his worst season as a jet, yeah. what do you expect with Santonio and Braylon on the team this year? and he missed two games. the guy is a gamer, through and through. i wish we had 53 of him.