Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets bringing in Ray Dominguez for a visit

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Jets bringing in Ray Dominguez for a visit

interesting...actually think he's a better RT prospect that Vladimir Duccasse....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiousity CB and everyone else...is it possible at all that the Jets see Vlad as a long term replacement for Moore rather than Woody or Faneca? I want to venture a no, because I don't think any team would use a top 2 round pick on a RIGHT guard....but is it possible?
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 03-23-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Just out of curiousity CB...is it possible at all that the Jets see Vlad as a long term replacement for Moore rather than Woody or Faneca? I want to venture a no, because I don't think any team would use a top 2 round pick on a RIGHT guard....but is it possible?
    he's a long term replacement at whatever position he can hold down as a starter except LT and OC...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    he's a long term replacement at whatever position he can hold down as a starter except LT and OC...
    That makes sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    interesting...actually think he's a better RT prospect that Vladimir Duccasse....
    He's one BIG dude. How high is he projected to go? I've only seem him graded as a late round / FA type on most websites.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    He's one BIG dude. How high is he projected to go? I've only seem him graded as a late round / FA type on most websites.
    4th round area...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    4th round area...
    Thanks. Why do you see him as a better RT prospect than DuCasse? Better feet? Stronger as a drive blocker? I confess I know little about the guy, so any info much appreciated!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Why do you see him as a better RT prospect than DuCasse? Better feet? Stronger as a drive blocker? I confess I know little about the guy, so any info much appreciated!
    1- i don't think much of Ducasse as a RT, never have....

2- Dominguez played some RT in college and is a better run blocker...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1- i don't think much of Ducasse as a RT, never have....

2- Dominguez played some RT in college and is a better run blocker...
    Many thanks - very interesting move by the Jets if they do pick him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks - very interesting move by the Jets if they do pick him.
    more interesting is how fast Dominguez is passing by his Arkansas teammate demarcus love who nfl scouts rated as a potential first round pick before the season, which was strange because even in '09 dominguez looked like the better player...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a bit of a two-part surpriser because as Ray Dominguez rises up boards, his teammate (and at one point late first/early second round prospect) DeMarcus Love, continues to drop.

Love's lasting impression was an embarrassing performance in the Sugar Bowl against Cam Heyward of Ohio State.

He was arguably one of the worst looking lineman at the Senior Bowl while Dominguez used the NFLPA (Texas vs. the Nation Game) to get himself noticed.

Since that time, they have continued to go in opposite directions.

I would not be shocked to see Dominguez come off the board before Love now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...hus-far#page/4

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ducassee looked confused at guard last year and in my mind had to be an OT prospect. RT and backup LT. If he has dropped in peoples minds to maybe starting OG then that was a hideously bad draft pick last year.

And saying that I'd have no problem drafting this dude. I'll almost never complain about upgrading the o-line.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Ducassee looked confused at guard last year and in my mind had to be an OT prospect. RT and backup LT. If he has dropped in peoples minds to maybe starting OG then that was a hideously bad draft pick last year.

And saying that I'd have no problem drafting this dude. I'll almost never complain about upgrading the o-line.
    The issue for Ducasse is that his best position probably remains his college position of LT. And, unfortunately for him, we already have a guy there who can play a bit.

Hopefully, Vlad can make the move to RT and play well. He certainly has the size, but his drive-blocking is still a question mark as the strongside tackle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ducasse I was skeptical about mainly because I wasn't sure whether he was smart enough to figure out how to become a good player. But that being said, I've read so much about how hard he's working at some place in NJ. Kristian Dyer covers the Red Bulls and Jets and he always is mentioning on twitter seeing Ducasse and even doing interviews with him. Throw in the Buffalo game, and I'm excited. Vlad's strength at the point can be matched by very few players, so if he does work out, it will be fantastic. he's an extra large human being with extreme strength. that can really be a good combo.

K, as for Dominguez. I like him. Can't help but notice him in games because the guy appears so damn big. Sometimes looks like a big fat slob stuffed in a uniform. Anyway, his feet are a lot better than you'd think and he can handle that position. Him and Brewer I liken together because I think they are both just RT guys. Even Carpenter I'd take as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The issue for Ducasse is that his best position probably remains his college position of LT. And, unfortunately for him, we already have a guy there who can play a bit.

Hopefully, Vlad can make the move to RT and play well. He certainly has the size, but his drive-blocking is still a question mark as the strongside tackle.
    This is about the opposite of what the case is with Vlad.

LT is definitely not his best position. Speed and quickness to the edge definitely suggest RT, RG, or LG. Run blocking ability would be a bit of a waste at LT anyway.

His strength is run blocking. It was obvious in the Senior Bowl last year with the way he's able to drive guys off the ball and it was pretty obvious in the Buffalo game. The question mark is the pass blocking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the jets go DE in the first, they may take a RT in either the 3rd or 4th rounds and let that guy and ducasse fight it out.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Ducasse I was skeptical about mainly because I wasn't sure whether he was smart enough to figure out how to become a good player. But that being said, I've read so much about how hard he's working at some place in NJ. Kristian Dyer covers the Red Bulls and Jets and he always is mentioning on twitter seeing Ducasse and even doing interviews with him. Throw in the Buffalo game, and I'm excited. Vlad's strength at the point can be matched by very few players, so if he does work out, it will be fantastic. he's an extra large human being with extreme strength. that can really be a good combo.

K, as for Dominguez. I like him. Can't help but notice him in games because the guy appears so damn big. Sometimes looks like a big fat slob stuffed in a uniform. Anyway, his feet are a lot better than you'd think and he can handle that position. Him and Brewer I liken together because I think they are both just RT guys. Even Carpenter I'd take as well.
    HUGE-HUGE-HUGE knock on him...as someone i spoke with who saw him every day at practice/camp/games last year told me- has the physical skills but doesn't get it at this point...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    HUGE-HUGE-HUGE knock on him...as someone i spoke with who saw him every day at practice/camp/games last year told me- has the physical skills but doesn't get it at this point...
    he doesn't have to be bright to play RT. plenty of morons have played RT in the nfl. plus it's a position switch for him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he doesn't have to be bright to play RT. plenty of morons have played RT in the nfl. plus it's a position switch for him.
    Understood, but to succeed at any position in the NFl, you have to have something going on upstairs mentally.

Mangini used to harp on it all the time yet I just ignored it until recently. He always used to say that the smarter guys are the ones who progress and get better because they figure out the ways to do so. Just think about how many of the great players in this league are complete retards? Not many. They are all pretty sharp on some level. I watch Vlad's reactions sometimes to people speaking to him and I'm really not sure that he gets much.

The good thing is that Vlad is at least smart enough to work his ass off. That should help him.

Either way, we'll get a better feeling through training camp and preseason as to where he stands.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    you are conflating "bright" with being able to pick up blitzes, position your hands correctly, understand gap/hole assignments, etc....