Thread: LB Lawrence Wilson met with Jets, others

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

LB Lawrence Wilson met with Jets, others

Connecticut linebacker Lawrence Wilson ran a high 4.5 to low 4.6 in the 40-yard dash at today's campus Pro Day workout where he met individually with the New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks and the Chicago Bears, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Wilson has a private workout with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday.

Wilson is scheduled to visit the Jaguars, Denver Broncos and the Philadelphia Eagles.

The All-Big East Conference linebacker has worked out privately for the Eagles and Jaguars previously.

Wilson led the Big East last season with 123 tackles, also recording 3 1/2 sacks with 10 1/2 tackles for losses. For his career, he recorded 449 tackles and five interceptions as he returned three for touchdowns.

He registered six tackles in the Senior Bowl.

Wilson is regarded as a classic 4-3 weakside linebacker.

The 6-foot-1, 229-pounder ran the 40-yard dash between 4.64 and 4.71 seconds at the NFL scouting combine.

He bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times and posted a 32 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 9-5 broad jump. He also had a 4.25 in the short shuttle and a 7.24 in the three-cone drill.

Wilson has been graded as a fourth-rounder by draft analysts, but might go a bit higher.

Over the past two seasons, Wilson has 272 tackles, 21 for losses, 8 1/2 sacks and six forced fumbles.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ts-others.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmph sounds like we have been looking at a few ILB types. I wonder if the long range plans may not include one of our starters? Perhaps Bart Scotts contract is an issue.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...a potential ILB for the Jets?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Hmph sounds like we have been looking at a few ILB types. I wonder if the long range plans may not include one of our starters? Perhaps Bart Scotts contract is an issue.
    I don't know if these mid-round types indicate a move for the future, but I highly doubt that Bart Scott will be playing for the Jets after this year under his present contract. Its too pricey and he's getting old. It makes too much sense to sign Harris long term, have the bulk of the bonus money hit in 2012 and have Scott reduce his salary or cut him altogether. Along with that, they may be looking to draft his replacement this year - definitely a possibility.

Doesn't sound like Lawrence Wilson is that replacement though. Although I suppose he could easily put on 15 pounds in the next year or so.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Hmmm...a potential ILB for the Jets?
    NOT at 6' 1" 220lbs....No Way...He has the size of a large SS in our system... smokescreen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't know if these mid-round types indicate a move for the future, but I highly doubt that Bart Scott will be playing for the Jets after this year under his present contract. Its too pricey and he's getting old. It makes too much sense to sign Harris long term, have the bulk of the bonus money hit in 2012 and have Scott reduce his salary or cut him altogether. Along with that, they may be looking to draft his replacement this year - definitely a possibility.

Doesn't sound like Lawrence Wilson is that replacement though. Although I suppose he could easily put on 15 pounds in the next year or so.
    I think the Bart Scott situation in 2012 is a potentially defining moment for Rex.

Scott is far and away "his guy"....their careers have basically moved up through the ranks together, and their relationship really is unquestioned. The problem is that scott seems to be declining, and after this season, the smart move will be to get younger and cheaper at the position. I know Rex's loyalty is supposedly one of his strongest qualities, but it will really be tested if Scott's play continues to fall off this season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think the Bart Scott situation in 2012 is a potentially defining moment for Rex.

Scott is far and away "his guy"....their careers have basically moved up through the ranks together, and their relationship really is unquestioned. The problem is that scott seems to be declining, and after this season, the smart move will be to get younger and cheaper at the position. I know Rex's loyalty is supposedly one of his strongest qualities, but it will really be tested if Scott's play continues to fall off this season.
    Continues to fall? Bart is amazingly important for this defense. What he does to offensive linemen and overall the mentality of the defense is stellar. Someone posted a non-Jets website outlining Bart's play and described that he was the best in the league last year at blowing up blocks and essentially ruining running plays.

Bart is staying... And when he does eventually leave, he'll be coaching with us for sure. Probably D-line or something.

That said, we need depth at the backup ILB position. Whether it be Bart or Harris, either guy could get hurt and it would have a pretty bad effect on our team.

Either way, one thing I've learned is that these visits mean something. Quite often, the Jets end up taking these guys that have visited with the team before the draft. LIke everything else, it's not a guarantee, but generally speaking that is the case.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Continues to fall? Bart is amazingly important for this defense. What he does to offensive linemen and overall the mentality of the defense is stellar. Someone posted a non-Jets website outlining Bart's play and described that he was the best in the league last year at blowing up blocks and essentially ruining running plays.

Bart is staying... And when he does eventually leave, he'll be coaching with us for sure. Probably D-line or something.

That said, we need depth at the backup ILB position. Whether it be Bart or Harris, either guy could get hurt and it would have a pretty bad effect on our team.

Either way, one thing I've learned is that these visits mean something. Quite often, the Jets end up taking these guys that have visited with the team before the draft. LIke everything else, it's not a guarantee, but generally speaking that is the case.
    Yeah, way more important than having a good back up QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    NOT at 6' 1" 220lbs....No Way...He has the size of a large SS in our system... smokescreen.
    He's 229, which is small for a 3-4 ILB. However, I think Bart Scott was even smaller as a rookie and now weighs around 240.

Can't see him as a OLB at that size, but could potentially grow into an ILB as Scott did.

Anyway, I suspect it's all a moot point as I don't think we will be drafting an ILB high.