Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what about Allen Bailey for 5-tech?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol Miami WAS a good football factory.

But yeah, Bailey definitely smacks of a guy who will be a much better pro than college player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Bailey is going to be one of the man Miami guys from the recent coaching regimes that underperformed in college yet goes on to be a tremendous NFL player....Marcus Van Dyke as well and Leonard Hankerson to a certain extend...

the UM program has done a 180 from its glory days of putting 5 and 6 guys in the first round...recruiting got easy for them and the coaches got lazy...
    Eh.

Miami doesn't exactly have a great support structure. The administration prefers a better graduation percentage than winning percentage, they can't afford a top notch coach, and their facilities are ****.

So they're in a disadvantage already.

IDK Shannon's deal. Even a lazy guy would just recruit Dade/South Florida and put together a 9 win team. But he consistently ignored the area and let UF and FSU make in-roads in top programs there, St. Thomas Aquinas notably. It hasn't been easy for Golden repairing the relationships Shannon completely sh!t on.

Miami still will get kids because "Da U" stigma from the 80s and 90s is still alive somewhat. But with their support structure and the fact FSU and UF are about on top of their games, things won't get any easier.

And look at Golden. Even if he does well, he'll coach himself right into Penn State's job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Bit come on man, no way I take him over Heyward. From all accounts he got dominated at the senior bowl.

hope the Jets have a shot at Cameron Heyward at 30. if they do that could be a great pick. I also wouldn't take Bailey over Heyward. (altho Bailey has 5 more career sacks than Heyward).

as for the senior bowl he didn't get dominated but he also didn't dominate, for an athlete that gifted they expect domination all the time. he wasn't as dynamic as he could have been.

the worst we can say about Bailey is he's a streaky player, that was true of Gholston but it was also true of John Abraham. Bailey has games where he has 3 sacks and follows that with an 7 or 8 game stretch with no production.

to wit, he'll have a meh senior bowl and a sick combine. Shaun Ellis was also a streaky Jets player. I don't know if there is a prospect we can look at and expect sacks every game. Maybe Von Miller.

Tinstar you make the best point of all, do the Jets even need this player? I have struggled with this question as well... many times I have been on this board ranting about how the Jets DO NOT need a 1st rd DE... but I tend to believe Tanny is working on multi-year plans. Unless Rex tells him different, this is the "replace Shaun Ellis" year in Tanny's ledger.

Al Golden did a great job with Temple, I can only wonder what he does in Miami. He's a really underrated coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While we're talking about Miami players, I think Hankerson is going to be a damn good receiver. No homo, but he has a great body for receiving. Extremely broad shoulders, big hands, good speed. Reliable as hell catching the ball. The mobility in and out of breaks is very solid too.

Also seems to play with this aura of confidence too. Makes you want to trust the guy when things really matter.

But I do not think Bailey will be a good player. Perhaps Van Dyke. Before I knew about Van Dyke's speed, he had me thinking Titus Young didn't have good long speed in the Senior Bowl.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    While we're talking about Miami players, I think Hankerson is going to be a damn good receiver. No homo, but he has a great body for receiving. Extremely broad shoulders, big hands, good speed. Reliable as hell catching the ball. The mobility in and out of breaks is very solid too.

Also seems to play with this aura of confidence too. Makes you want to trust the guy when things really matter.

But I do not think Bailey will be a good player. Perhaps Van Dyke. Before I knew about Van Dyke's speed, he had me thinking Titus Young didn't have good long speed in the Senior Bowl.
    WR is an underrated need for the Jets, IMO. It would really behoove them to find a 4th/5th rounder that can develop in the next few years. If you look at the AFCG, it wasn't Ward or Wallace who hurt us, it was Brown and Sanders - 2 young guys that the Stillers developed. Even if we keep Holmes and Braylon, we need to have those back of the roster WRs for the future. That's what will make this team really dangerous.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Jets have shown no interest in Bailey to date- workouts/visits/interview/etc...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    WR is an underrated need for the Jets, IMO. It would really behoove them to find a 4th/5th rounder that can develop in the next few years. If you look at the AFCG, it wasn't Ward or Wallace who hurt us, it was Brown and Sanders - 2 young guys that the Stillers developed. Even if we keep Holmes and Braylon, we need to have those back of the roster WRs for the future. That's what will make this team really dangerous.

Hey, Mike. Seems every year there are a couple of late round WRs who end up producing straight away in the NFL. Are there any low on the radar prospects this time around that you think would be capable of putting up big numbers straight out the gate?

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Hey Fred, keep you eye on Vidal Hazelton of Cincinnati. He was a transfer from USC with big-time ability. If he can stay healthy, which has been an issue, he has the skill set to be a top notch wide receiver. Another guy I like you can get in the third or fourth round is Greg Salas. Good hands, highly productive WR. He will compete on special teams. I believe that this kid will have a heck of a career.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1463

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at DeVito popping up on that list. What an animal. What a find by Tanny.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time to replace Shaun Ellis,but not with a clone

If Ellis is playing the way he did against the Patriots,we will never beat teams like the Steelers and the Dolphins and the Ravens all teams who run the ball more than they throw the ball.

The Pats are an arrogant bunch of saps who live and die with Tom Brady.The Colts use to be that way,and to some extent still sre.The funny thing is the 1 SB they went to and won was due to Manning using the run .

The way Rex plays defense,is with multiple blitz schemes.The DL must protect the blitzers and stop the runIf the DL is the front getting to the QB,why not let them through and get your OLmen on the backers.

We need space Eaters to protect our Blitzers,not defensive Linemen who penetrate.We do not run the same 34 as the Patsor even the Steelers.The closest thing to what we run with the exception of the Ravens is the Chargers.

Castillo, Luis DE 6-3 290
    Cesaire, Jacques DE 6-2 295
    Thomas, Cam DT 6-4 335
    Garay, Antonio DT 6-4 320

Jets defense need big bodies to do their job so the stunts Ryan want to run can be effective.If Shaun Ellis is in the Backfield,who is the RT blocking when the RB gets by Ellis.If that RB is any good,Ellis is toast and so is our defense.Just like it was In Pittsburg.
    When you can't stop the run,the Pass becomes easy.Just like in Pittsburg.We sold out to stop the run,and we had nothing left to control Ben.Control the LOS,and you control the Ebb and Flo of the Game.

Jets need a Pass rusher,a SS who can run and some grunts who want to be grunts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allen Bailey/DL/Miami-Fl has visits scheduled w/the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, SD Chargers & Tampa Bay Bucs

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyPauline

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Pats have also talked to Ellis:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...nd-tim-barnes/

The Patriots worked out Hampton defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis on Friday, according to his agent. A massive prospect at 6-foot-5 and 346 pounds, many have him pegged as a second- or third-round prospect who could play on the nose and at five-technique in the NFL. Ellis was dismissed from South Carolina early in his collegiate career (reportedly for a failed drug test), something he addressed at the combine last month.

“I had character issues,” he said at the combine, where he ran a 5.16 40 and hit 26 reps of 225 pounds. “I had disciplinary problems. They did everything they could. It just didn’t work out for me. I had to get out of there. I had to look within myself and change a lot of things within myself and around me. And after I changed those things, it was pretty much easy after that. I had to realize that I had a problem, and I confronted it and overcame it.”

As a senior, Ellis was first Team All-MEAC. He finished second on the team in tackles with 94 total tackles (34 solo, 60 assisted), and was also second on the team with 15.0 tackles for loss, totaling 37 yards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bailey's another guy who can be a Trevor Pryce or Shaun Ellis type DL...but something keeps making me but about this guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank god

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Bit, IMO its not a bad idea, I wouldn't be unhappy if Bailey is the pick.
    i dont want to sound like a broken record but he's got a lot more sacks than almost all the other big time prospects. LB types Ryan Kerrigan and Von Miller have more sacks but most of the DL names Bailey has more sacks than...

no he's not a perfect prospect but if he were he doesn't make it to 30... the Jets should be bargain hunting not reaching

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    from the "safest character" files

Miami (Fla.) DE Allen Bailey — Best known for killing alligators with his bare hands, as Hurricane folklore will have it, Bailey is a very simple, yes-sir, no-sir, small-town, country kid with an easy-going personality and excellent work habits. Bailey is known for doing all the extras in the weight room and on the practice field. The game does not always come natural to him and he could potentially slide as low as the third round because of suspect football instincts, but as it relates to pure character, he grades among the best in this year's draft and could be selected closer to the first than third because of it.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...pe-nfl-success

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like an endorsement?
    i've stated, with a game plan, in another thread i'd love to see the Jets move from #30-to-#40, get an extra third and 5th/6th then take Bailey @40 then maybe a safety (Jerrod Johnson?? Marcus Gilchrist??) and WR late (Sanzenbacher??)....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Defensive End | Miami (FL) | SR Allen Bailey
    Height: 6-3 | Weight: 285 | 40-Time: 4.77

Official Bio

Strengths:
    • Excellent size with a cut, muscular physique and long arms
    • A fantastic athlete with great short-area quickness
    • Very good speed and has the ability to close in a hurry
    • Weight room standout with outstanding strength and power
    • Extremely versatile, both positionally and schematically
    • Terrific bull rusher and can manhandle blockers
    • Stout at the point of attack versus the run
    • Reliable tackler and will deliver a big hit
    • Tenacious with superb range and a non-stop motor
    • Knows how to utilize leverage and uses hands well
    • Hard worker and is very committed to the game
    • Productive and makes a lot of impact plays behind the line
    • Substantial experience against top-notch competition
    • Still has a ton of untapped potential

Weaknesses:
    • Awfully raw both technically and mentally
    • Questionable instincts and awareness
    • Often late off the snap and lacks an explosive burst
    • Average agility and change of direction skills
    • Lacks a varied repertoire of pass rush moves
    • Has some trouble getting off of blocks
    • Minor durability concerns
    • Might be a classic 'tweener

Notes:
    Was a 2½-year starter for the Hurricanes --- Hails from Hog Hammock, Georgia, an island town with a population of less than 100 --- Once killed an alligator with a shovel --- Boasts just 8% body fat, power cleans 375 pounds with a bench press max of 420 pounds and a vertical leap of 38½ inches --- Began college career as a linebacker and played mostly on special teams as a true freshman in '07 --- Saw extensive action at both defensive end and defensive tackle while at "The U" --- Missed time in high school with a back injury and suffered a torn pectoral muscle in 2008 --- Named 1st Team All-ACC in 2009 and 2nd Team All-ACC in 2010 --- Could project to either left defensive end or the three-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme and the five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 front --- Workout Warrior with a freakish blend of size, speed and strength --- Still developing and as a result isn't as consistently dominant as his impressive physical tools would suggest he should be --- Doesn't necessarily stand out in any one specific area but does everything well --- An extremely intriguing prospect who will be a highly coveted commodity on Draft Day due to his rare measurables, tantalizing upside and extraordinary versatility.

*** Exclusive Draft Countdown Interview with Allen Bailey ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK
    2007 10 4 0.0 0.0
    2008 12 24 9.5 5.5
    2009 13 34 11.5 7.5
    2010 13 45 11.0 7.0
    Totals 61 107 33.0 20.0

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the sounds of Bailey, sorry. We just finally got rid of a ripped specimen that had no character issues, was a nice guy , hard worker and zero instincts. I want a football player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Once killed an alligator with a shovel
    sign me up

gators with a shovel is way better than boars with a knife

for all his rawness he still managed 20 career sacks

that's not an easy number for an end/tackle to get to... guys like suggs/von miller can get there but not usually big guys