Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what about Allen Bailey for 5-tech?

Jumping out of a swimming pool and then killing a gator with his bare hands would make him a top 20 pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Bailey is one of the guys I would jump all over if he's there in the 3rd round, but I don't like the pick at #30.

I know everyone is in love with Heyward and Wilkerson, as am I, but I'm willing to bet that at least one will slide to the #25-28 range and the Jets will definitely not hesitate to move up 4-5 spots to secure one of them.

We can talk about Allen Bailey, Christian Ballard, and Jarvis Jenkins all we want. But the Top 5 projected 5-tech's in this class are as followed IMO:

1. Marcel Dareus
    2. Cameron Jordan
    3. J.J. Watt
    4. Cameron Heyward
    5. Muhammad Wilkerson

Those guys are the cream of the crop as far as 3-4 DE's go. After that there's a little bit of a dropoff, although the class is excellent overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

1. Marcel Dareus
    2. Cameron Jordan
    3. J.J. Watt
    4. Cameron Heyward
    5. Muhammad Wilkerson

fwiw Bailey has more career sacks than all those players.

we talk about wanting a pass rusher...

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Bailey is one of the guys I would jump all over if he's there in the 3rd round, but I don't like the pick at #30.
    i think this is the best tag on bailey. he's not what you want from a 1st round pick in a draft that's very deep in front 7 players. he'd be a nice complementary guy to pick up in the 2nd or 3rd if the jets had multiple picks. but since the jets don't have a 2nd rounder, if the jets stay at #30, they need a guy who can have more of an impact on the game.

that said, i don't think this guy is a gholston. he would be decent, just not an impact player.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    fwiw Bailey has more career sacks than all those players.

we talk about wanting a pass rusher...
    says Mr Stats

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    says Mr Stats
    i dont understand what people want.

the dude works out well he's a "workout warrior"

he gets 20 sacks in 2.5 years that's a "stat" and meaningless

maybe the Jets should draft a player no one's heard of, in terrible shape, with no stats to speak of.

How about Isaiah Thompson at Houston. He's a guard that ran a 6 second 40-yard dash at the combine.

maybe the Jets should draft him. Cause he won't be Gholston.

i dont understand what people want.

the dude works out well he's a "workout warrior"

he gets 20 sacks in 2.5 years that's a "stat" and meaningless

maybe the Jets should draft a player no one's heard of, in terrible shape, with no stats to speak of.

How about Isaiah Thompson at Houston. He's a guard that ran a 6 second 40-yard dash at the combine.

maybe the Jets should draft him. Cause he won't be Gholston.
    Sorry..It just seems you base your opinions on a 40 time or the number of sacks a guy gets in college..I think we all know not 1, 2 or 3 factors guarantees success from college to the NFL level.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Sorry..It just seems you base your opinions on a 40 time or the number of sacks a guy gets in college..I think we all know not 1, 2 or 3 factors guarantees success from college to the NFL level.
    it drives me nuts. the board doesn't like Bailey cause he's stiff. Doesn't like Brooks Reed cause he has hair like Clay... i'll tell ya what Jets fans we are picking at 30 not 3. the perfect prospect is not gonna be there.

it drives me nuts. the board doesn't like Bailey cause he's stiff. Doesn't like Brooks Reed cause he has hair like Clay... i'll tell ya what Jets fans we are picking at 30 not 3. the perfect prospect is not gonna be there.
    I do agree with that...

I believe the board feels Reed is being overrated / overhyped as a 1st rounder because his hair is like Clay...I'm guessing if he had short black hair there wouldn't be as much discussion about Reed, at least as a 1st rounder.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    +1

He's also got a few other things working against him:

- I'm pretty sure the town he was raised in was located in a swamp. NY is a loud town and the Jets are a loud team...Minor but there.
    I don't know if Bailey is going to be a good player at the next level, God knows he has the measurables and got TERRIBLE coaching down at "The U"...but THAT ^ is just some of the worst reasoning I have ever seen.

Go ahead and google "Pahokee/Belle Glade and NFL" and see what happens.

Seemingly half the NFL was raised in towns located in a "swamp"....truth be told, anywhere not in Jacksonville, Tampa, or the southeastern part of the state here in FLorida is pretty much a "swamp" IMO.

At 30? I don;t know, but if Rex likes him then I guess hes worth the risk.

All League
    Once killed an alligator with a shovel
    How big was the gator? Unless it was over 6', who cares....heck, when I was a kid my pop was with the Florida Marine Patrol and one day he brought home an alligator and I kept it as a pet for about a month - until it ate my dads dress shoes and it was time for "Killer" to go back to Lake Osbourne.

Yeah, it was only 2 feet long....but still, I had a pet ALLIGATOR. Eat that, Sonny Crocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Seemingly half the NFL was raised in towns located in a "swamp"...
    I dont see any difference between picking at 30 and picking at 40. Obviously the Jets want to trade down but it's 10 picks in the late first/early 2nd area there's no scenario where a guy is a great value at 40 but a reach at 30.

as for the swamp the dude came from an island off of Georgia coast, it's a crazy story...

When freed, the former slaves established several settlements on the island; the last remaining is Hog Hammock with approximately seventy remaining land owners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapelo_Island