Thread: NATO to take over command in Libya

Banned

NATO to take over command in Libya

CNN is reporting.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-24-2011 at 03:28 PM.

All Pro
    The USA is NATO's largest member.

Passing the torch from right hand to left hand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    The USA is NATO's largest member.

Passing the torch from right hand to left hand
    I believe the top NATO commandor is French. Could be wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    NATO announcing surrender tomorrow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post

I raughed my rass rauf...

Veteran
    Don't know who exactly you meant - and not that it matters much - but the General Secretary of Nato is Danish.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Don't know who exactly you meant - and not that it matters much - but the General Secretary of Nato is Danish.
    Ahhh, that's right. Your country put up a big stink about it

Veteran
    Ahhh, that's right. Your country put up a big stink about it
    Yes we did.

Rasmussen is not a very popular person around these parts, our beef was more with him then anything else.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post

Banned
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/27...d-air-strikes/

NATO members have agreed to take over the full scope of the military mission in Libya.

French warplanes on Sunday led air strikes on armored vehicles and on a large ammunition depot in the regions of Misrata and Zintan, according to the French Ministry of Defense.

All League
    We are in good hands the UN is in charge.

Banned
    Whatever the allies are doing is working. Rebels have pushed pro-Gaddafi forces completely out of east Libya and are 250 miles outside of Tripoli.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Whatever the allies are doing is working. Rebels have pushed pro-Gaddafi forces completely out of east Libya and are 250 miles outside of Tripoli.
    That's good news.

Libyan rebel commander admits his fighters have al-Qaeda links

Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi, the Libyan rebel leader, has said jihadists who fought against allied troops in Iraq are on the front lines of the battle against Muammar Gaddafi's regime.

By Praveen Swami, Nick Squires and Duncan Gardham 5:00PM GMT 25 Mar 2011

In an interview with the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore, Mr al-Hasidi admitted that he had recruited "around 25" men from the Derna area in eastern Libya to fight against coalition troops in Iraq. Some of them, he said, are "today are on the front lines in Adjabiya".

Mr al-Hasidi insisted his fighters "are patriots and good Muslims, not terrorists," but added that the "members of al-Qaeda are also good Muslims and are fighting against the invader".

His revelations came even as Idriss Deby Itno, Chad's president, said al-Qaeda had managed to pillage military arsenals in the Libyan rebel zone and acquired arms, "including surface-to-air missiles, which were then smuggled into their sanctuaries".

Mr al-Hasidi admitted he had earlier fought against "the foreign invasion" in Afghanistan, before being "captured in 2002 in Peshwar, in Pakistan". He was later handed over to the US, and then held in Libya before being released in 2008.

US and British government sources said Mr al-Hasidi was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, or LIFG, which killed dozens of Libyan troops in guerrilla attacks around Derna and Benghazi in 1995 and 1996.

Even though the LIFG is not part of the al-Qaeda organisation, the United
    States military's West Point academy has said the two share an "increasingly co-operative relationship". In 2007, documents captured by allied forces from the town of Sinjar, showed LIFG emmbers made up the second-largest cohort of foreign fighters in Iraq, after Saudi Arabia.

Earlier this month, al-Qaeda issued a call for supporters to back the Libyan rebellion, which it said would lead to the imposition of "the stage of Islam" in the country.

British Islamists have also backed the rebellion, with the former head of the banned al-Muhajiroun proclaiming that the call for "Islam, the Shariah and jihad from Libya" had "shaken the enemies of Islam and the Muslims more than the tsunami that Allah sent against their friends, the Japanese".
    I can't wait until this bites us in the ass too.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    That's good news.

I can't wait until this bites us in the ass too.
    What would you say publicly about AQ if you were sitting in this guy's position?

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    What would you say publicly about AQ if you were sitting in this guy's position?
    Nothing

Hall Of Fame
    Nothing
    Really? So as a leader you would sit there and say no comment? He needs people to help him fight and silence helps how again?

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Really? So as a leader you would sit there and say no comment? He needs people to help him fight and silence helps how again?
    It bothers me that we're supporting a movement that requires kissing al Qaeda's ass.

Hall Of Fame
    It bothers me that we're supporting a movement that requires kissing al Qaeda's ass.
    Par for the course for the good ole US of A.

Just wait. In 20 years "liberated" Iraqis and Libyans will be killing our children and our children's children. We so smaht.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Par for the course for the good ole US of A.

Just wait. In 20 years "liberated" Iraqis and Libyans will be killing our children and our children's children. We so smaht.
    I don't even think we'll have to wait 20 years for that.