Thread: Argentina v. US @ Jets Stadium: 3/26/11 - Who's in?

All League

Argentina v. US @ Jets Stadium: 3/26/11 - Who's in?

Should be a fun match up to watch w/Arg getting a win this time after 2008's disappointing draw. I'm a bit disappointed w/the chilly fall weather forecast. Sucks that Tevez won't play, but looking forward to seeing Pastore play in person.

Anyone else going?

Can't wait to tailgate in good ol' Lot L again!

iOH LAS MINAS ESTARAN DE PARANDA EL SABADO!

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Should be a fun match up to watch w/Arg getting a win this time after 2008's disappointing draw. I'm a bit disappointed w/the chilly fall weather forecast. Sucks that Tevez won't play, but looking forward to seeing Pastore play in person.

Anyone else going?

Can't wait to tailgate in good ol' Lot L again!

iOH LAS MINAS ESTARAN DE PARANDA EL SABADO!

My buddies and I are getting there around 3pm, but I don't know where we are setting up yet. I was at that game as well, which was as exciting a 0-0 game as you can have. The lightning strike in the 85th minute energized the crowd and broke the insane heat.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    My buddies and I are getting there around 3pm, but I don't know where we are setting up yet. I was at that game as well, which was as exciting a 0-0 game as you can have. The lightning strike in the 85th minute energized the crowd and broke the insane heat.
    That DOWNPOUR was DIVINE INTERVENTION. It was the MOST amazing sensation of "cool off" I've experience in the last 5 years. MY poor old man started suffocating due to the humidity and partially fainted from heat exhaustion ON THE WAY to the stadium! walking through that G*D Damn Cattle-Run Tunnel DeathTrap crossing over Route 120.

The traffic will be pretty bad, & I wonder how the parking will be organized for this event. I've only been to Jets games so is it a free for all? I think I'm just going to go to my usual L7-L13 area and grill, grill, grill, baby!

Wish I was going, but let's go USA!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm going with the kids, sitting in 143 - anyone know what the deal is with parking?

Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I'm going with the kids, sitting in 143 - anyone know what the deal is with parking?
    I have no idea, but getting there early means I would expect there to be lots of parking. Getting out might be a nightmare, though

Great game for the US. Well, at least in the 2nd half. Goal for the future US striker Agudelo.

It was freakin' cold. It felt like we were tailgating in December out there. We got there a little after 3pm, and tailgated until about 6:30 or so.

Crowd was 50/50 US and Argentina. That's much better than it's been in the past, I think the US/Argentina game in 2008 was more like 75/25. It's a good sign. For anyone who's interested, here are the highlights from the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nvFDy5zn-0&

Argentina Goal @ 1:50 (That's when play starts)
    US Goal @ 2:30 (That's when play starts)

That Messi character is good at soccer. Just in case you didn't know.

Great game for the US. Well, at least in the 2nd half. Goal for the future US striker Agudelo.

It was freakin' cold. It felt like we were tailgating in December out there. We got there a little after 3pm, and tailgated until about 6:30 or so.

Crowd was 50/50 US and Argentina. That's much better than it's been in the past, I think the US/Argentina game in 2008 was more like 75/25. It's a good sign. For anyone who's interested, here are the highlights from the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nvFDy5zn-0&

Argentina Goal @ 1:50 (That's when play starts)
    US Goal @ 2:30 (That's when play starts)

That Messi character is good at soccer. Just in case you didn't know.
    That looked like a pretty good game, and a great crowd. Was the stadium full?

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    That looked like a pretty good game, and a great crowd. Was the stadium full?
    Yes, a sold out, packed house.

Without Tim Howard, we lose 5-1. Like most of these matches, our goalkeepers are constantly under siege because defenders take bad angles and/or are constantly out of position.

Against world class teams, our defense is a atrocious, and often looks totally lost. This has been the case for decades. We either cannot groom defenders in this country, or our national team coaches keep picking guys who can't play with the top level teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Without Tim Howard, we lose 5-1. Like most of these matches, our goalkeepers are constantly under siege because defenders take bad angles and/or are constantly out of position.

Against world class teams, our defense is a atrocious, and often looks totally lost. This has been the case for decades. We either cannot groom defenders in this country, or our national team coaches keep picking guys who can't play with the top level teams.
    Only saw the highlights and I agree. The guy played out of his shoes on some of those plays.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Only saw the highlights and I agree. The guy played out of his shoes on some of those plays.
    As a nation, we have been able to consistently produce great goalkeepers and midfielders. Why has a world class scorer and tight group of defenders eluded us? We're looking at another five years of mediocrity. And what happens when Donovan, Howard and Dempsey are gone? Scary proposition.

Keep in mind Argentina torched Spain and Portugal in recent friendlies. While the US didn't play well in the 1st half, they did play close to even with the Argentinians in the 2nd half.

The defense certainly had issues, but this has been a problem for a few years. It's not easy to pluck defenders from the sky. And I don't see how the National team is the issue, I think every US defender who starts in Europe was playing last night.
    Chandler played well last night and Tim Ream, another 18 year old, was a great defender last year for the Red Bulls

As a nation, we have been able to consistently produce great goalkeepers and midfielders. Why has a world class scorer and tight group of defenders eluded us? We're looking at another five years of mediocrity. And what happens when Donovan, Howard and Dempsey are gone? Scary proposition.

There's no logical reason why a striker has eluded the US. I thought Altidore would be the answer, but for some reason he can't find the net. Agudelo looks great, but he's 18 and needs time to develop. I'm confident that the US will develop new players by the time Donovan, Dempsey, and Howard are gone. The US has been developing goalies for 20 years now, and Donovan and Dempsey should both have one more world cup cycle in them.

I thought they held up quite well against Argentina last night. The US National teamwill always be hamstrung by the fact that Soccer is not a dominant sport here, not a whole lot that can be done there. I think that you are far too pessimistic about the future of US Soccer. I think that the US is destined to be a 2nd tier team, a step below the Germany, Brazil, Spain, and Argentina's but a constant threat to make a run. I was pretty impressed with their performance, personally.

Keep in mind Argentina torched Spain and Portugal in recent friendlies. While the US didn't play well in the 1st half, they did play close to even with the Argentinians in the 2nd half.

The defense certainly had issues, but this has been a problem for a few years. It's not easy to pluck defenders from the sky. And I don't see how the National team is the issue, I think every US defender who starts in Europe was playing last night.
    Chandler played well last night and Tim Ream, another 18 year old, was a great defender last year for the Red Bulls

There's no logical reason why a striker has eluded the US. I thought Altidore would be the answer, but for some reason he can't find the net. Agudelo looks great, but he's 18 and needs time to develop. I'm confident that the US will develop new players by the time Donovan, Dempsey, and Howard are gone. The US has been developing goalies for 20 years now, and Donovan and Dempsey should both have one more world cup cycle in them.

I thought they held up quite well against Argentina last night. The US National teamwill always be hamstrung by the fact that Soccer is not a dominant sport here, not a whole lot that can be done there. I think that you are far too pessimistic about the future of US Soccer. I think that the US is destined to be a 2nd tier team, a step below the Germany, Brazil, Spain, and Argentina's but a constant threat to make a run. I was pretty impressed with their performance, personally.
    As was I. First half, we really got dominated and Howard kept us alive, but the 2nd half was a different story. They played up to Argentina's level and started creating some good chances. Towards the end of the match, I even thought Argentina was on their heels a bit and was content with getting out of there with a draw.

Altidore certainly has been disappointing as of late, but he's still very young and has the potential to get better and of course Agudelo has much promise, as you mentioned. Like you said, Ream is also a young one with potential to help on the defensive end. I certainly understand Borgo's concerns and doubts, but I'm more optimistic, like yourself.

Does anyone know if the friendly vs. Paraguay tomorrow night is televised?

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Does anyone know if the friendly vs. Paraguay tomorrow night is televised?
    Fox Soccer Channel

Jets Insider VIP
    Fox Soccer Channel
    Not in HD on Fios yet.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Is it me or does it seem the USNT scores the ugliest goals in international soccer?

Without Tim Howard, we lose 5-1.

it should be noted that while the USA lack a player like Messi, the Argentines lack a player like Howard. He's world class good.