Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's your late round steal of the draft?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Colby Whitlock - Good at what he does, which is get leverage and stop the run. Made 40(!) starts at Texas A&M at NT. Better and bigger athlete than I thought too. Kenrick Ellis and Jerrell Powe are the other DL I've talked up who should be in here...

Alex Henery - Best K prospect since Mason Crosby? Probably the most well liked once...did Gostowski get drafted before or after Crosby? W/e...Henery can kick.

Lee Ziemba - Auburn RT also has been around awhile, and has at least RG potential. Possibly even LG.

Steve Schilling - Michigan G is the RT who Gholston owned that one time 4 years ago.

KJ Wright - Solid 3-4 ILB prospect.

Ian Williams - ND NT isn't Whitlock good, but he's got some potential too.

Terrell McClain - USF DT got very minor talk at one point...built like a tank and is actually very similar to Dwan Edwards as a player. Edwards is a former Ryan DL product...solid rotation player.

Brandon Fuso - Might turn out to be the best C from this draft. Great size for the position and he had a solid draft season.

Mark LeGree - App. State is a good football school and he is a solid run stuffing type safety. Also, no one seems to like him but Robert Sands isn't a bad player either.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 03-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Play Like A Jet View Post
    A few guys that I like late

Chris Prosinski S Wyoming
    Alex Henery K Nebraska
    Buster Skrine CB Chattanooga
    Zack Pianalto TE North Carolina
    Lee Smith TE Marshall
    I think that lee smith is underated.he is a great blocker and underated as a pass catcher.the only knock against him is his speed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The WR opposite AJ Green - big and fast

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steven Friday DE-LB Virginia Tech

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    I'm curious what others think about him...Seems like a good middle of the draft (4th-5th) pass rushing OLB prospect..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I'm curious what others think about him...Seems like a good middle of the draft (4th-5th) pass rushing OLB prospect..
    Probably later...he only came in at 226 at the combine IIRC.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Love Tayrod Taylor VT QB

Ran in the 4.5 great B. Smith replacement and throws a better deep ball than smith ever could or would. Can KOR and PRT as well. great hands for it. either as a UDFA of 7th round.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by star95 View Post
    Ran in the 4.5 great B. Smith replacement and throws a better deep ball than smith ever could or would. Can KOR and PRT as well. great hands for it. either as a UDFA of 7th round.
    I think he goes a lot higher than that at maybe the 4-5 round. Also, how has he ever demonstrated great hands for KOR and PRT?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Schuyler Oort d.e. northern iowa.He has the potential to be a very good pro tight end.checkout his stats.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    I like Schuyler Oort d.e. northern iowa.He has the potential to be a very good pro tight end.checkout his stats.
    but do they really need another dustin keller??

btw- his stats suck...his measurables are terrific....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya he caught my eye at the combine too, but he fills the same role as Cumberland...i'd like more of a 2-way TE.

Side Note: Anyone know if Cumberland is progressing as a blocker?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that lee smith is underated.he is a great blocker and underated as a pass catcher.the only knock against him is his speed.
    +2 I really like Lee Smith, he's a crushing run blocker. Great back fill possibility for Hartsock

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    south alabama WR Courtney Smith is a TO or Marques Colston type of prospect... he's all over the Map but has potential... he's probably 7th rd

arizona dt lolomana mikaele probably doesn't get drafted due to size concerns but I like his game.

west virginia DT Chris Neild is a great name but i've heard him rising lately. I used to hope the Jets pass on the Cam Heywards of the world and take a Chris Neild late but people have caught up on this player. He's a pure hustle guy and dare i say it might be headed for the top 100.
    With that in mind, for me its Brandon Bair who seems like a perfect Rex type guy. Can add weight... Also, David Carter from UCLA..

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Would Neild be a good future NT for us? 6'2 319 is the right size and he looks tough, like his scouting report. I'd take him round 3 if hes good.
    neild is one of those guys that despite how much you don't want to like him you just admire him....could definitely see the jets using a third on him...

btw- another late round steal, if he makes it to the 5th; Jah Reid/OT/UCF...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    watch this guy a lot this weekend- he's getting a lot of internet love but i don't see it- small, not really explosive, easily washed up at the point, doesn't play to his reported forty time....

kind of guy that needs a clear shot at the ball handler to make a play...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is a former lacrosse player this yearís late round draft gem?

Maryland standout Will Yeatman has the size and athleticism to play left tackle in the league. Wes Bunting

I will admit, there is nothing sexy talking about massive in-line tight end prospects who will make rosters as goal line/short yardage options and combine for all of 6 receptions during their NFL career. Nevertheless, as boring as those guys can be, they always seem to be in high demand at the back end of the draft because itís still a rare skill set.

However, what do you do with the massive blocking tight end who possesses the size/physique and athleticism to possibly make the move to left tackle in the NFL? One such prospect last year who I really took a liking to was Templeís Steve Maneri. The 6-6, 270 pound kid was the best in-line blocking tight end I saw on tape and possessed a frame that could continue to get bigger. He went un-drafted in 2010, but spent the year on the New England practice squad as a developmental tackle prospect. Heís now nearly 300 pounds, is still a gifted athlete and might be the next gem the Patriots uncovered along their offensive line.

Fast forward to this year and we have a similar prospect in Marylandís Will Yeatman. Yeatman is a 6-7, 275 pound kid with 34 ĺ inch arms who ran in the 4.7 range at the Terrapins pro day and posted a 28.5-inch vertical.

Even more impressive was his grace/body control catching the football during position drills and his overall athleticism for a guy his size when asked to get down the field. Now, he had only 13-catches during the regular season, but Yeatman isnít exactly the most seasoned of football players at this stage.

The reason. Heís a two-sport stud. Yeatman is a former All-American lacrosse player who was part of the U.S. National Team tryout pool selection team in 2010, which explains why a guy at his size is such a natural and coordinated athlete.

Heís since decided to commit himself to football and has made quite the impression on talent evaluators throughout the NFL.

Yeatman, much like Maneri is a physically imposing kid who has a frame that can continue to get even bigger. He displays natural bend when asked to sit into his stance, displays an impressive burst off the line for his size and really looked natural breaking down and changing directions as a route runner. Now, thereís no doubt that heís still raw, as he lacks ideal hand placement into contact and will waste some motion on his punch as a blocker. However, watching the big man adjust to passes thrown his way and use his raw power to simply outmuscle ACC defensive ends this year was rather impressive.

Therefore, what do you do with the guy?

In my mind, you use a draft pick on him late. You give him every chance to get bigger and develop as a potential tackle in the NFL and see how quickly can he mature. And even if he doesnít, you can always use him as a short yardage/goal line guy, which still isnít a bad fallback. In my mind itís a win/win.

When talking with an NFL scout this past week, he told me that if someone made him (Yeatman) a offensive tackle three years ago, the guy would be 310-pounds right now and could be a first round pick.

Thatís how gifted an athlete he is.

The investment is marginal and the pay off down the line could be massive.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...draft-gem.html