Thread: League insists on HGH testing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

League insists on HGH testing

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6255034"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6255034[/URL]

Whenever a new collective bargaining agreement is reached with the NFLPA, the league is insistent that HGH testing for all NFL players be included in the deal, according to a report on FOXSports.com.

"We want it. We think it's necessary. We're going to ensure that it's done," NFL vice president and general counsel Adolpho Birch said, according to the report. "That's something very important to us and the integrity of our game. We believe some of the basis for going slowly on it before has been addressed. At this point, it's proper for it to be an active part of our program."

Birch said the NFL and the NFLPA representatives had discussed the matter prior to the end of labor talks March 11.

More From ESPN.com
    The business of the National Football League is currently at an impasse, but the game of football is very much alive. Will fans wake up to the power they hold? Story

Anger and disappointment were the predominant emotions throughout the football world and beyond after the NFL players' union decertified Friday, hours before the expiration of their collective bargaining agreement with the league. Story

Even if the NFL season never happens, there still will be winners and losers, writes Rick Reilly. Blog

The NFL's labor impasse with its players and a lockout is the result of long-term strategic planning by the team owners and their commissioner, writes Lester Munson. Column

NFLPA executive George Atallah breaks down how the players and the union view the crucial talks. Story

PDF: The lawsuit
    Impact: Team by team
    Munson: Glossary & who's who
    Aiello: Outline of league's problems
    NFL labor history since 1968
    NFL Labor: Topics page

HGH was previously on the NFL's list of banned substances, but was not tested for in the league's previous drug-testing program.

In other lockout-related news, the NFL players concluded their annual meetings Thursday while receiving words of support from former players.

The NFL Players Association dissolved as a union hours before being locked out by the league March 11. Now it looks toward April 6, when a lawsuit filed by 10 players requesting an injunction to end the lockout will be heard in U.S. District Court in St. Paul, Minn.

Nolan Harrison, the director of former player services for the NFLPA, says 215 former players spoke with members of the organization's executive board, executive director DeMaurice Smith and current players during the last few days.

"Letting our guys know what the course is from here and where we are as an association, that's one of the main things this was about," Harrison said, adding the former players have been briefed on the lawsuit.

"All of us realize we are teammates, from the guys who play today to the guys who wore leather helmets. Every generation was represented, from guys my dad watched play to my former teammates to guys who were in preschool when I played."

Smith met with leaders of the former players, held a question-and-answer session with all the veterans and gave a speech encouraging unity, Harrison said.

More than 100 current players attended nine days of meetings. Harrison encouraged them to speak with former players who were involved in the 1987 strike to "get firsthand knowledge of what it's like and what will happen."

No negotiations are scheduled, although earlier this week Smith did invite NFL lawyers to discuss a settlement of the lawsuit, a request the league turned down. The two sides last met March 11 at a federal mediator's office in Washington. Talks collapsed and the union decertified. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and seven others put their names on the lawsuit, then the NFL enacted the lockout.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell urged a renewal of negotiations several times during the owners' meetings this week.

"The faster we can get back to mediation, the faster we will get an agreement," Goodell said. "We made a lot of progress in mediation. The 17 days we were there forced us all to consider our positions, find the common ground, negotiate and come up with solutions for the issues that we've all addressed that are important to the game, important to the players and important to the clubs. I'm hopeful that we'll get back there and resume them."

But Harrison noted the optimism by the players -- current and former -- about prospects for victory in court.

"We put together an agreement between the leadership here that supports all the NFLPA is trying to accomplish in the class action," he said. "There was unanimous support for the class-action suit."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has the right to stay young (HGH). See Tom Cruise.

Everyone has the right to be their physical best. See Barry Bonds.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I call BS. This was put out there to try and make the un-union look bad. I am sure the owners fully expect the players to balk at this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3987644][URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6255034"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6255034[/URL]

Whenever a new collective bargaining agreement is reached with the NFLPA, the league is insistent that HGH testing for all NFL players be included in the deal, according to a report on FOXSports.com.

"We want it. We think it's necessary. We're going to ensure that it's done," NFL vice president and general counsel Adolpho Birch said, according to the report. "That's something very important to us and the integrity of our game. We believe some of the basis for going slowly on it before has been addressed. At this point, it's proper for it to be an active part of our program."
    [/QUOTE]

Clay Matthews is not amused.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, because the League would hate to be identified by the images of huge men with enormous muscles.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there an accurate test to detect synthetic HGH? Young males normally secrete HGH, how would the test distinguish between that and synthetically ingested substances?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VinnyTestaverde'sNiece;3988092]Is there an accurate test to detect synthetic HGH? Young males normally secrete HGH, how would the test distinguish between that and synthetically ingested substances?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, there is no HGH urine test available. Only blood tests are reliable and there is no way in hell the players will agree to invasive blood tests. Just a ploy by the owners as others have said to make the players look bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VinnyTestaverde'sNiece;3988092]Is there an accurate test to detect synthetic HGH? Young males normally secrete HGH, how would the test distinguish between that and synthetically ingested substances?[/QUOTE]

Three of my 4 kids have been on HGH--actually an injectable version called Nutropin AQ, becasue of deficient growth hormone production. Considering I am about 5'-4" and my wife was about 5'-0", not a shocker there.

But the test for HGH is a minimum THREE HOUR blood test. You don't pee in a cup for it.

Literally, because the body naturally produces HGH, you need to test it over a long peiod of time--so you have an IV stuck in your arm and they draw a bit of blood every 20 minutes or so, in order to detect the level of HGH in your blood stream over time.

If you were to just test it once--you may ge a zero when your body is not in the production cycle--or you might get an artificially high number if your body just produced it. If, over three hours you have an elevated level--it would seem a likely conclusion is that you are juicing it. If the levels ebb and flow over 3 hours, probably not.

That's just my own personal experience, and I've been personally injected my kids thousands of times--6x a week for years.

Not sure if they've come up with a different way to test it that isn't as invasive.

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3988108]Three of my 4 kids have been on HGH--actually an injectable version called Nutropin AQ, becasue of deficient growth hormone production.[/QUOTE]

You're so lucky this is on the strip...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3988159]You're so lucky this is on the strip...[/QUOTE]

Oh, I've hid my height (and that of my kids) over in teh Hampur? :D

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3988169]Oh, I've hid my height (and that of my kids) over in teh Hampur? :D

_[/QUOTE]

no, but nobody in teh Hampur believes you're 5'4".

you're heightening, brah :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3988170]no, but nobody in teh Hampur believes you're 5'4".

you're heightening, brah :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

On the Pfail Strip I round up.

At the Hampur combine, I was officially measured at 5'-3" and 7/8ths, same as my pro day.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3988176]On the Pfail Strip I round up.

At the Hampur combine, I was officially measured at 5'-3" and 7/8ths, same as my pro day.

_[/QUOTE]

Benny Woodcock would so kick your ass