Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Akeem Ayers the one?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Akeem Ayers the one?

Is Akeem Ayers the answer at OLB we have been wanting for the last several years? Good size 6'4 250-255. Can play OLB, ILB very versitile. Would have liked a bit more in the sack total this year (only had 4). I think he can be a roaming LB like a Suggs type. He ran a modest 4.8 at the combine but so did Suggs (Ran a 4.84 on his pro-day). For UCLA he dropped back, lined up w/ hand down, stood up, pretty much everything. I think this guys is not as one dimensional as say a Justin Houston..Bottom line If Ayers, Jabaal Sheard, Brooks Reed are staring at us at 30 who do you take?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take Ayers. He might not even be there when we pick.

I bet he tests out better at his pro day than he did at the combine.

He has experience dropping into coverage and has the athleticism to get to the quarterback.

He and Cameron Heyward are the two guys I want the most. Would give the nod to Ayers as I think OLB is a harder role to fill later in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    I take Ayers. He might not even be there when we pick.

I bet he tests out better at his pro day than he did at the combine.

He has experience dropping into coverage and has the athleticism to get to the quarterback.

He and Cameron Heyward are the two guys I want the most. Would give the nod to Ayers as I think OLB is a harder role to fill later in the draft.
    I'm in the same boat.

Both guys, IMO, are relatively "safe" bets to become quality starters and have pretty significant upside as well.

But I feel like BOTH will be gone by 30.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm in the same boat.

Both guys, IMO, are relatively "safe" bets to become quality starters and have pretty significant upside as well.

But I feel like BOTH will be gone by 30.
    i think more of these defensive players will be there at 30 than we think. there are teams who have offensive needs, and teams who may take qbs as well. i think mallett is a good example of a guy who isn't getting the love right now but there are teams who would consider drafting mallett in the late first round (even trading up from early 2nd round) and think they're not getting any worse of a prospect than guys like gabbert and newton who may go top 5.

in short i think the odds of all the guys most jet fans would be happy with, from heyward to ayers, being gone by 30 are probably slim.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    When is Ayers pro day? Interested to see if he redeems himself in the 40 - he may regain some of the luster that he lost at the combine

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know that I'd put Ayers in the can't-bust territory like Heyward, but I definitely like Ayers. People point towards the lack of production but they used him in coverage so much. And that definitely took away some of the sack numbers.

Now I don't blame them a ton, because the guy is extremely fluid in coverage too.

He's not an inside linebacker though. He played on the inside on some clear passing downs, but that was it. Definitely belongs on the outside.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    When is Ayers pro day? Interested to see if he redeems himself in the 40 - he may regain some of the luster that he lost at the combine
    March 29th

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OLB Akeem Ayers: UCLA (6-3, 259)
    Ayers showed up five pounds heavier than he did at the NFL Combine, at nearly 260 pounds. However, he ran much better, posting a time in the high 4.6/low 4.7 range and looked very comfortable and fluid during positional drills. When I watched the workout itís rare to find a guy at his size to be able to cleanly change directions and open up his hips, and I really do think he can play just about any linebacker position in any scheme. However, you canít ignore his ability to attack downhill and I think heís got too much upside because of his burst, length and athleticism to not get a real look at as 3-4 rush guy.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...shakedown.html

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    OLB Akeem Ayers: UCLA (6-3, 259)
    Ayers showed up five pounds heavier than he did at the NFL Combine, at nearly 260 pounds. However, he ran much better, posting a time in the high 4.6/low 4.7 range and looked very comfortable and fluid during positional drills. When I watched the workout itís rare to find a guy at his size to be able to cleanly change directions and open up his hips, and I really do think he can play just about any linebacker position in any scheme. However, you canít ignore his ability to attack downhill and I think heís got too much upside because of his burst, length and athleticism to not get a real look at as 3-4 rush guy.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...shakedown.html
    He's quickly winning me over as the pick the Jets should target. I know this is being said a lot, but is he performing his way out of our draft position?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    He's quickly winning me over as the pick the Jets should target. I know this is being said a lot, but is he performing his way out of our draft position?
    Don't let everyone convince you of this. Just remember there are only 29 players that can go before the Jets get a chance to pick. At some point one of these prospects will have to be there. I think Ayers will be there b/c he just isn't flashy enough/lacks the crazy sack production. I think he is probably the best of the bunch minus Miller. Quinn has health concerns and has never dropped back into coverage, Houston has motor/IQ questions. I stopped mentioning him when he ran like molasses cause I thought I had misjudged his film. But yea I think he'll still be around.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he'll be there... and on paper it's a great idea

but on the field... I don't know. He got what 4 sacks last year how are going to expect him to improve on Pace/ Thomas? He also has a nasty habit of missing tackles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5OeiwZVjzI

I'd Pass.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

but on the field... I don't know. He got what 4 sacks last year how are going to expect him to improve on Pace/ Thomas? He also has a nasty habit of missing tackles.

I'd Pass.
    I'd take him (assuming Heyward and a bunch of top guys are gone), he played off the line so much and barely rushed the passer because he was great in coverage. When he did rush he could bring the pressure IMHO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd Pass.
    Because of stats?

A few posters that have watched tape of him and UCLA games explain because he's so good in coverage UCLA dropped him into coverage alot...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Because of stats?

A few posters that have watched tape of him and UCLA games explain because he's so good in coverage UCLA dropped him into coverage alot...
    like Lavarr Burton says on Reading rainbow

you don't have to take my word for it

look at that film in the youtube and tell me what you think of his tackling skills.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't like Ayers as a potential pass-rushing OLB at all. I probably haven't seen as much of him as some people here but, what I have seen, I wasn't too impressed with.

His sack numbers are not impressive at all, and he doesn't seem as physical against the run as he should be at his size. He also seems to miss a fair few tackles.

Yes, he is athletic and good in coverage. But then so was Bobby Houston. Would people really want to draft a Bobby Houston - a good coverage LB who might get 5 or 6 sacks a season - with the #30 overall pick?

Not for me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    like Lavarr Burton says on Reading rainbow

you don't have to take my word for it

look at that film in the youtube and tell me what you think of his tackling skills.
    Yea he missed some gimmes. Also he seemed to sit back and wait to see the play before making a move. Scheme maybe, more read and react or more indicative of his individual game? Not sure...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably against conventional wisdom but I think I'd rather have Justin Houston if I had the choice. Only because I think he's got the better first step off the snap and what I really want is someone who can get to the qb off the edge. I get that Ayers is probably the more complete player though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Yea he missed some gimmes. Also he seemed to sit back and wait to see the play before making a move. Scheme maybe, more read and react or more indicative of his individual game? Not sure...

Read & React: Average instincts and is prone to biting on play-action and taking false steps on the reverse. Possesses rare agility and straight-line speed for the position, typically allowing him to make the play.

Run defense: Has size, strength and willingness to take on blockers at the point of attack. Seems to enjoy the physicality of the game, showing good upper-body strength and quick, active hands to quickly shed blocks.

Unselfish defender that typically maintains gap discipline.

Pass defense: Can be fooled by play-action but is surprisingly fluid in coverage for a big linebacker. Relies too much on reading the eyes of the quarterback in coverage. Has proven to be a playmaker, but could be fooled by savvy passers at the next level. Good ball skills. Has six career interceptions, returning two for touchdowns.

Tackling: Generally a reliable tackler, leading with his shoulder or getting too high going for the highlight-reel hit and bouncing off the ballcarrier. Can improve as a wrap-up tackler. Can get a bit out of control when pursuing laterally and overrun the play, but is so long and athletic, he's usually able to trip up the ballcarrier to prevent cutback opportunities.

Good effort laterally and downfield in pursuit. Good strength for the drag-down tackle. Brings his hips as a tackler, creating explosive hits to force the ball out. Has seven forced fumbles in three seasons.

Pass Rush/Blitz: One of Ayers' better areas. Good burst off the snap as a standup and hand-down rusher. Capable of crossing the face of the tackle with his explosiveness and possesses good flexibility and balance to scrape the corner and close quickly. Relies on his speed to rush the passer, showing little in terms of true pass rush technique, at this point.

Intangibles: Redshirted in 2007. Arrived at UCLA and was known as a prankster, but has matured into a team leader, according to those close to the program. Voted a team captain in 2010. Has played in all 37 games of his career Ö History major who earned a spot on the Honor Roll in 2007.
    Compares to: D.J. Williams, Broncos - With excellent size and athleticism, Ayers could excel outside or inside in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme if he proves to have adequate instincts at the next level.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1244512

A big, well strapped together outside linebacker with long arms and a thick base, but might be a bit thin through the calves. Showcases good range sideline-to-sideline for his size. Possesses a good initial burst out of his breaks and closes quickly on the football in pursuit. Arrives with bad intentions toward the ball carrier as a tackler. Is a physical striker who generates impressive pop from his lower half into contact. Needs to do a better job wrapping on the play, has the length and power to be a consistent tackler in the run game in the NFL, but at times doesn't take the best of angles and isn't as dominant as his skill set would have you believe. Possesses impressive power at the point of attack when asked to attack downhill, take on blocks ó linemen and fullbacks ó and when he wants to has the ability to consistently win in the hole. Showcases good body control and short-area quickness as well when trying to slide defenders who want to get into his legs. Uses his hands better in space when asked to shed on the move. Does a nice job picking his way through the line of scrimmage, extending his arms and can disengage through contact on the edge. However, when attacking downhill seems content to simply lead with his shoulder and try to overwhelm on contact and win at the point of attack, but doesn't disengage nearly as well. Exhibits decent instincts when asked to play off blocks and find the football. At times he takes himself out of plays, but when he is fully into it he consistently puts himself around the action.

Possesses natural fluidity for a guy his size in space vs. the pass game. Can cleanly open up his hips and run. However, gets a bit too high and leggy when trying to change directions, which takes away from his initial burst toward the football. Isn't overly instinctive either in the pass game, closes quickly on the football after the completion, but will take himself out of plays more so in the pass game. Keeps his eyes in the backfield, but too often will bite on play fakes and misdirection at the line and will be forced to play from behind. Will work from a three-point stance at times in pass situation. Coils up into his stance well, has a good first step off the football and can consistently threaten the edge. Does a decent job dropping his pad level, gaining leverage and accelerating around the corner, but hasn't quite developed much of a pass-rush arsenal using his hands at this stage.

Impression: An impressive physically gifted athlete. Is long, powerful, has a snap into contact, closes with great burst and can rush the passer and fluidly get out of his breaks. Finds the football better than I thought he would as well, but is raw with his feet in the pass game, doesn't have a great feel for using his hands at this stage and at times his motor will slow and he will look disinterested. However, he can start and play at a high level as a 43 SLB or a 3-4-rush guy and if he wants it bad enough he has the tools to be great.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...epartment.html

just a couple of writeups..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    and that was against Temple. What will happen when he has to tackle an NFL running back?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    and that was against Temple. What will happen when he has to tackle an NFL running back?
    It was also from 2009...and 1 game...How did he play in '10? Improve? the same? worse? Just asking...