Thread: NFL distributes compensatory draft picks to 23 clubs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL distributes compensatory draft picks to 23 clubs

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81ef2e1e/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-23-clubs?module=HP_headlines[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3988341][url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81ef2e1e/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-23-clubs?module=HP_headlines[/url][/QUOTE]

well the second night of the draft won't drag on to long....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And notice since 94, the Jets have the fewest compensation picks.
    I guess that means either we trade away players or they aren't all that great when we do lose them. I still think we should have gotten something out of the Farve retire then not retire business.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    actually the third but who is counting

round 1 -night 1

rounds 2 and 3 -night 2

rounds 4-on - day 3

I think the only UFA we signed was Taylor and the only one lost was Feely so there was no way the Jets were getting one

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    at least they didn't come up with some "formula" to award three extra picks to Goodell's Mentor, Kraft

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember a compensatory pick for McKenzie, and maybe 3 the year the Redskins raided the Jets.

Can't remember who we got with the picks, fun picks to have.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure we got Eric Smith with a comp pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;3988362]I seem to remember a compensatory pick for McKenzie, and maybe 3 the year the Redskins raided the Jets.

Can't remember who we got with the picks, fun picks to have.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3988368]I'm pretty sure we got Eric Smith with a comp pick.[/QUOTE]

My bad, misread BeerFish's post. Smith was a the FIRST comp pick for '06- who'd we lose in 2005? that 2005 team was HORRENDOUS!

No Comp pick for McKenzie in 2005 after losing him after '04

These are the results of the comps in the 2004 Draft:

Pick #132 Last Pick in 4th Round - OT Adrian Jones _Kansas

Picks #234 7th Round - DE Trevor Johnson_Nebraska

Pick #235 7th Round - RB Derrick Ward_Ottawa-Kansas (Stolen by Giants off PS and eventually material in their SuperBowl run)

Pick #236 7th round - S Rashad Washington_Washington State
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-25-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    could be

the Jets had two third round picks in 2006 selecting Schlegel with the first one and Eric Smith at the end of the round. Was that the year after McKenzie left for the Giants? Don't know.

They also had two picks in the fourth round for which they drafted Brad Smith with their regular pick and then Leon Washington with a pick they were awarded as compensation for Dumba$$ Herm going to the Chiefs (arguably, one of the great trades in Jet history)

2006 might have been the Jets best draft ever

1- Ferguson

1a - Mangold

2 - Clemens

3a- E Smith

4 - B Smith

4a- Washington

and

6 D Coleman

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3988386]could be

the Jets had two third round picks in 2006 selecting Schlegel with the first one and Eric Smith at the end of the round. Was that the year after McKenzie left for the Giants? Don't know.

They also had two picks in the fourth round for which they drafted Brad Smith with their regular pick and then Leon Washington with a pick they were awarded as compensation for Dumba$$ Herm going to the Chiefs (arguably, one of the great trades in Jet history)

2006 might have been the Jets best draft ever

1- Ferguson

1a - Mangold

2 - Clemens

3a- E Smith

4 - B Smith

4a- Washington

and

6 D Coleman[/QUOTE]

How could you leave out the Boar hunter?!?!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only included those still around

left out Titus Adams too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That list shows a conspicuous lack of NYJ compensatory picks. Do you think the NYJ deserve some compensation picks? I do not. But I'm also not bothered by it. This shows the good news about how our team is changing.

This means our team holds on to our good players. It means Rex Ryan attitude and coaching prowess have caused players to stay for as long as they can. Realize, if we continue to not get compensatory picks, this could only mean very good things for the Jets. New York has become a very popular destination for players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a part of the NFL that seems to fly against logic. On one hand you have free agency,where a player can play out his contract,test the marketplace,and choose where he wants to continue his career. Then,as the process plays itself out,and players relocate,teams get compensatory picks if they lose a certain amount of players.In a league that is the most balanced,where small market teams win as much as large market teams do(New Orleans,Green Bay,Indy),this just doesn't seem to make sense. I can see having this system in MLB, where you have 6-7 teams that are really minor league teams, and truly can't compete,and consistently lose players to the big market teams.But not the NFL. Why give teams extra picks when the free market process works,and all teams have an equal chance to be part of it? It's like giving IBM compensation when someone leaves to go to Dell. You manage your business the best way you can,and if you lose people,that's life.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3988475]That list shows a conspicuous lack of NYJ compensatory picks.[B] Do you think the NYJ deserve some compensation picks? I do not. But I'm also not bothered by it. This shows the good news about how our team is changing.

This means our team holds on to our good players.[/B] It means Rex Ryan attitude and coaching prowess have caused players to stay for as long as they can. Realize, if we continue to not get compensatory picks, this could only mean very good things for the Jets. New York has become a very popular destination for players.[/QUOTE]

Actually, no. It means our team consistently brings in more free agents, and more big money free agents, than it loses. Which, for years, has been the pattern. We haven't had a ton of talent, which made it easy to resign the players we wanted to keep, and required us to look outside the organization for new blood (Faneca, Pace, Scott, etc.). Hence no comp picks. The Pats, on the other hand, consistently end up with comp picks, because they have been so well stocked with talent that they almost always lose more players than they sign.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3988382]My bad, misread BeerFish's post. Smith was a the FIRST comp pick for '06- who'd we lose in 2005? that 2005 team was HORRENDOUS!

No Comp pick for McKenzie in 2005 after losing him after '04

These are the results of the comps in the 2004 Draft:

[B]Pick #132 Last Pick in 4th Round - OT Adrian Jones _Kansas[/B]

Picks #234 7th Round - DE Trevor Johnson_Nebraska

Pick #235 7th Round - RB Derrick Ward_Ottawa-Kansas (Stolen by Giants off PS and eventually material in their SuperBowl run)

Pick #236 7th round - S Rashad Washington_Washington State[/QUOTE]

I remember people on here were saying the Jets shouldn't draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson because we already had Adrian Jones. :high:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;3989310]I remember people on here were saying the Jets shouldn't draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson because we already had Adrian Jones. :high:[/QUOTE]

... and some of those brainiac's were h*ll bent on matt leinart :poop::poundu::grouplaug ...

l_j_r