Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americans looking to CFL for football fix?

All League

Americans looking to CFL for football fix?

I stumbled across this lightweight article concerning the possibility of American fans watching the CFL if there is indeed a strike.
    [url]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42239635/ns/sports-nfl/[/url]
    Many of you have already stated you'll either watch college or simply just not follow anything. I'm wondering if the withdrawal symptoms which we'll all experience at some time will make you actually gander to the north come fall?

My Directv DVR recently kicked the bucket, so the entire '10 season I recorded is lost forever. Don't even have that to watch.

All Pro
    Article said games would be on Friday nts on the NFLN, I'd tune in if real NFL games got cancelled, kick the tires a bit.

Not sure when the UFL will be on, very surprised Marty Schott agreed to run a team. Would think that he could find a place in the NFL if desired, tho I'm sure his ego would only let him be a HC, not sure if he's an attractive candidate anymore to NFL teams...

Veteran
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3988445]Article said games would be on Friday nts on the NFLN, I'd tune in if real NFL games got cancelled, kick the tires a bit.

Not sure when the UFL will be on, very surprised Marty Schott agreed to run a team. Would think that he could find a place in the NFL if desired, tho I'm sure his ego would only let him be a HC, not sure if he's an attractive candidate anymore to NFL teams...[/QUOTE]

Does Marty need an OC?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=David Harris;3988445]I'd tune in if real NFL games got cancelled, kick the tires a bit.

QUOTE]

... + 1 ...

[QUOTE]
    Does Marty need an OC?
    [/QUOTE]

... lol ...

l_j_r

They've tried this in the past and it hasn't worked out well. One of the main problems is not having a team to cheer for. The CFL game is fun to watch and some of it's ruleset is pretty good.

Most of the american players are guys that couldn't make it in the NFL but there are always players passed over for whatever reason that end up being good players in the NFL. (See all the CFL fans on this site pimping Cam Wake before he signed with the Fins.)

Ricky Ray is still the starting QB for my hometown team. :D

All Pro
    A lot of you guys put down the CFL and have never watched a game. Perhaps you should try. It is quite exciting actually, you just don't have the sizzle of the NFL (Sunday as game day, all the analysis etc..) One of the BIG issues is the commentary. It is nowhere near as good for the CFL. Another issue would be the ruleset, as Beerfish pointed out. Watching receivers in full motion toward the LOS is strange if not used to it!

All League
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3988825]A lot of you guys put down the CFL and have never watched a game. Perhaps you should try. It is quite exciting actually, you just don't have the sizzle of the NFL (Sunday as game day, all the analysis etc..) One of the BIG issues is the commentary. It is nowhere near as good for the CFL. Another issue would be the ruleset, as Beerfish pointed out. Watching receivers in full motion toward the LOS is strange if not used to it![/QUOTE]

I'm an American who's been watching the CFL via satellite for the past 10 years. While I do enjoy the game and definitely look forward to the beginning of the season each summer (for those of you who don't know - preseason games start in June), I find myself losing interest midway through the season when the NFL season begins. Should there be no NFL football this season, I really am planning on getting to know each of the teams a little better in hopes I can take more ownership in being a fan of the CFL. The problem, as Beerfish stated above, is that I really don't have a team that I truly care about. When watching a CFL game, I only care about how exciting it is. I have no interest about the standings or playoff implications, which makes it hard to really care too much. [B]I need to find myself a team!!![/B]

haha

[QUOTE=simijet;3988905][B]I need to find myself a team!!![/B][/QUOTE]

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgooooooooooooooooooooooos.

lol.

[QUOTE=jetsfan_toronto_canada;3990022]Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgooooooooooooooooooooooos.

lol.[/QUOTE]

Don't do it, it's a trap!

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsfan_toronto_canada;3990022]Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgooooooooooooooooooooooos.

lol.[/QUOTE]

I've always been a big fan of the way Torontonians pack Skydome/Rogers Centre in support of their beloved Argos :rolleyes:

Actually, it does seem as if Tiger Cat fans do take the rivalry with Toronto seriously. Definitely a case of being close to the centre of the universe - but still being stuck in Hamilton.

[QUOTE=simijet;3990176]I've always been a big fan of the way Torontonians pack Skydome/Rogers Centre in support of their beloved Argos :rolleyes:

Actually, it does seem as if Tiger Cat fans do take the rivalry with Toronto seriously. Definitely a case of being close to the centre of the universe - but still being stuck in Hamilton.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Yeah Argos need to move to BMO so they can at least fill a stadium. We do take the ti-cats seriously, as our foremost rival, but its embarrassing the support the argos get here - this city is stacked with NFL fans. Poor marketing by the CFL and excellent marketing by the NFL over the course of a generation has really done a number on the argo fanbase, and the CFL in general. When my dad was a kid CFL was just as big as NFL here, now its not even close.

Funny you mention the emptiness, I think that's how the AARRRGOOOS cheer actually started, say it loud enough and long enough and the emptiness echos.

Funny the cheer actually reminds me of going down to exhibition stadium as a kid to watch the blue jays - whenever the Jays were getting killed in the late innings you were guaranteed to here the Argos cheer throughout the whole stadium. lol.

All Pro
    I would love to watch CFL games.

It wouldn't be difficult to learn the nuances in rules and I would like to see some of the college players I used to watch as professionals... I just have no idea which team to root for and that, I think, is a problem most people have.

You can't just look at a list and say THAT ONE... well I guess you could, but I want to know about the history, the style of offense and defense, the players, the coach... they just don't really do a great job of marketing the league, especially down here. I can't blame them because it would be a waste of resources.

But it seems like all the games should be shown on VS or some other B level network.

All League

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE UNIFORM

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3990449]I would love to watch CFL games.

I just have no idea which team to root for and that, I think, is a problem most people have.

You can't just look at a list and say THAT ONE... well I guess you could
    [/QUOTE]
    If you cut your teeth on the Jets in the late 70's through mid 90's, you might be able to easily root for this team:
    [url]http://sportsfullcircle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/saskatchewan-roughriders-celebrate.jpg[/url]

If you're a Packers fan, then Beerfish's hometown team might appeal to you:
    [url]http://sportsfullcircle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ricky-ray.jpg[/url]

Pats or Bills your team?
    [url]http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/Alouettes_Moment_of_Silence_for_Bobby_Ackles_-_CFL_PHOTO_-_Peter_McCabe.jpg[/url]

Steelers?
    [url]http://sportsfullcircle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/quinton-porter.jpg[/url]

Falcons?
    [url]http://www.stampeders.com/common/uploads/wallpapers/wallpaper_xburris_1152x864.jpg[/url]

Rams?
    [url]http://i.pbase.com/o5/84/569884/1/69834357.qeAq0ngU.WinnipegBlueBombers6.jpg[/url]

Titans?
    [url]http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/fa/fb/1189b9a646caa3c3ab18fcbec805.jpeg[/url]

Bengals?
    [url]http://beat.bodog.com/wp-content/uploads/bc-lions-celebrate-beat.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by simijet; 03-30-2011 at 12:11 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=simijet;3988905]I'm an American who's been watching the CFL via satellite for the past 10 years. While I do enjoy the game and definitely look forward to the beginning of the season each summer (for those of you who don't know - preseason games start in June), I find myself losing interest midway through the season when the NFL season begins. Should there be no NFL football this season, I really am planning on getting to know each of the teams a little better in hopes I can take more ownership in being a fan of the CFL. The problem, as Beerfish stated above, is that I really don't have a team that I truly care about. When watching a CFL game, I only care about how exciting it is. I have no interest about the standings or playoff implications, which makes it hard to really care too much. [B]I need to find myself a team!!![/B][/QUOTE]i was a real fan of the NJ generals of the USFL back in the day, but i can't say i want to find a CFL team to root for..

The only thing I"ll be watching out of Canada is the NHL playoffs.

Banned
    Don't bash the CFL. They play some solid football up there.

[QUOTE=simijet;3990176]I've always been a big fan of the way Torontonians pack Skydome/Rogers Centre in support of their beloved Argos :rolleyes:

Actually, it does seem as if Tiger Cat fans do take the rivalry with Toronto seriously. Definitely a case of being close to the centre of the universe - but still being stuck in Hamilton.[/QUOTE]

Hamilton is a great place to watch a ball game, creaky old Ivor Wynne stadium is so darn close to the action.

All League
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3990717]Hamilton is a great place to watch a ball game, creaky old Ivor Wynne stadium is so darn close to the action.[/QUOTE]

About six or seven years ago, I had tickets to a TiCats - Blue Bombers game there but didn't go to the game because my father was ill. I was working with Charles Roberts' mother at the time and had some freebies . . . oh well.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3990659]Don't bash the CFL. They play some solid football up there.[/QUOTE]

You actually consider their field and rules "football"?

Interesting.