Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Justin Houston, Muhammad Wilkerson & Jarvis Jenkins

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Justin Houston, Muhammad Wilkerson & Jarvis Jenkins

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/features/

    All due in for visits according to PFT:


    New York Jets

    +Stanford defensive tackle Sione Fua (?/?).

    *Penn State defensive tackle Ollie Ogbu (?/?).

    *Cincinnati wide receiver Vidal Hazelton (?/?).

    *Clemson defensive tackle Jarvis Jenkins (?/?).

    Arkansas guard/tackle Ray Dominguez (?/?).

    Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor (?/?).

    Louisville running back Bilal Powell (?/?).

    Georgia linebacker Justin Houston (?/?).

    Temple linebacker Peanut Joseph (4/?).

    Hampton defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis (4/?).

    Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan (4/?).

    Slippery Rock center/guard Brandon Fusco (4/10).

    Temple safety Jaiquawn Jarrett (4/11).

    Temple defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson (4/11).

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOVE Jarvis Jenkins.

    Think he's the strongest lineman in this draft.

    Not a huge fan of Wilkerson although I can see a scenario where he becomes a good player.

    Houston I don't like...

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesangleton View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/features/

    All due in for visits according to PFT:


    New York Jets

    +Stanford defensive tackle Sione Fua (?/?).

    *Penn State defensive tackle Ollie Ogbu (?/?).

    *Cincinnati wide receiver Vidal Hazelton (?/?).

    *Clemson defensive tackle Jarvis Jenkins (?/?).

    Arkansas guard/tackle Ray Dominguez (?/?).

    Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor (?/?).

    Louisville running back Bilal Powell (?/?).

    Georgia linebacker Justin Houston (?/?).

    Temple linebacker Peanut Joseph (4/?).

    Hampton defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis (4/?).

    Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan (4/?).

    Slippery Rock center/guard Brandon Fusco (4/10).

    Temple safety Jaiquawn Jarrett (4/11).

    Temple defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson (4/11).
    ogbu's a head scratcher....

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    ogbu's a head scratcher....
    Dunno. Rex likes those high effort linemen and Ogbu has a decent level of strength.

    Purely a very late lineman who perhaps he envisions as a Marques Douglas type.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    ogbu's a head scratcher....
    Not really...3-4 teams have used guys like him in the past...Pats use Pryor right now and we used Mosley just a couple years ago...unless Ogbu is a headscratcher because he's not all that impressive...in which case I agree...he's a hustler and his strength is decent but at best he's late round fodder.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Dunno. Rex likes those high effort linemen and Ogbu has a decent level of strength.

    Purely a very late lineman who perhaps he envisions as a Marques Douglas type.
    he's what? 6-1/280lbs???

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    he's what? 6-1/280lbs???
    nothing a few buckets of popeyes chicken and biscuits can't fix

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    nothing a few buckets of popeyes chicken and biscuits can't fix
    yes- but is he as quick and explosive then??? he seems like a terrific 3-technique prospect, not a two-gap end...

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    yes- but is he as quick and explosive then??? he seems like a terrific 3-technique prospect, not a two-gap end...
    he makes up in greasiness what he gives up in quick and explosive

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting list.

    I agree that Ogbu is a strange one. Nice college player from a good school who gives great effort, but doesn't seem like a good fit for the D at his size.

    Maybe Rex hopes he can grow into a Kelly Gregg type, but he would need to add at least 20lbs to have a realistic hope of playing the NT spot. He does seem a little short for a 3-4 DE prospect

    Also interesting to note - two potential 1st round pass-rushers (Kerrigan and Houston) on this list and lots of 2nd tier D-Linemen (Fua, Jenkins, Ellis, etc) - could be an early sign that the Jets are hoping to add D-Linemen later in the draft and would prefer adding a pass-rusher in round 1.

    Or, could just as easily be a sign that I am desperate for Jets news and am reading way too much into this list!
    Last edited by mrcoops; 03-29-2011 at 05:02 AM.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    ogbu's a head scratcher....
    Is he a local kid? So it would be a "free" visit

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Also interesting to note - two potential 1st round pass-rushers (Kerrigan and Houston) on this list and lots of 2nd tier D-Linemen (Fua, Jenkins, Ellis, etc) - could be an early sign that the Jets are hoping to add D-Linemen later in the draft and would prefer adding a pass-rusher in round 1.

    Or, could just as easily be a sign that I am desperate for Jets news and am reading way too much into this list!
    No, I agree. It seems like a significant observation.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Interesting list.

    I agree that Ogbu is a strange one. Nice college player from a good school who gives great effort, but doesn't seem like a good fit for the D at his size.

    Maybe Rex hopes he can grow into a Kelly Gregg type, but he would need to add at least 20lbs to have a realistic hope of playing the NT spot. He does seem a little short for a 3-4 DE prospect

    Also interesting to note - two potential 1st round pass-rushers (Kerrigan and Houston) on this list and lots of 2nd tier D-Linemen (Fua, Jenkins, Ellis, etc) - could be an early sign that the Jets are hoping to add D-Linemen later in the draft and would prefer adding a pass-rusher in round 1.

    Or, could just as easily be a sign that I am desperate for Jets news and am reading way too much into this list!
    Anyone have the list of players that visited the Jets the past few years...It would be interesting to see if the Jets pick or sign as an UDFA any of those that come in for a visit.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Is he a local kid? So it would be a "free" visit
    i don't know where he lives...usually the local kids are not included in these lists...

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    No, I agree. It seems like a significant observation.
    probably easier to get a run stuffer in the 3rd round and a pass rusher in the first, rather than look for pass rushers in the 3rd round only.

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Interesting list.

    I agree that Ogbu is a strange one. Nice college player from a good school who gives great effort, but doesn't seem like a good fit for the D at his size.

    Maybe Rex hopes he can grow into a Kelly Gregg type, but he would need to add at least 20lbs to have a realistic hope of playing the NT spot. He does seem a little short for a 3-4 DE prospect

    Also interesting to note - two potential 1st round pass-rushers (Kerrigan and Houston) on this list and lots of 2nd tier D-Linemen (Fua, Jenkins, Ellis, etc) - could be an early sign that the Jets are hoping to add D-Linemen later in the draft and would prefer adding a pass-rusher in round 1.

    Or, could just as easily be a sign that I am desperate for Jets news and am reading way too much into this list!
    If thats what happens, I would be tickled pink. There doesn't seem to be the pass rusher that fits at #30 though. Perhaps I'm being too insular in my thinking (if the Jets have JH ranked at #35 they'll pull the trigger), but it seems like the DE is what will be the best value. I wish it were the opposite (with OLB being the clear cut value at #30), but reaching for a Reed or Houston makes me a bit concerned.

    My first reaction is that there is no way in hell Kerrigan is falling to us, but I didn't think Wilson would fall to us last year nor did I think Maclin would fall to #17 (the Jets original draft spot) the year before. So, who knows?

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If thats what happens, I would be tickled pink. There doesn't seem to be the pass rusher that fits at #30 though. Perhaps I'm being too insular in my thinking (if the Jets have JH ranked at #35 they'll pull the trigger), but it seems like the DE is what will be the best value. I wish it were the opposite (with OLB being the clear cut value at #30), but reaching for a Reed or Houston makes me a bit concerned.

    My first reaction is that there is no way in hell Kerrigan is falling to us, but I didn't think Wilson would fall to us last year nor did I think Maclin would fall to #17 (the Jets original draft spot) the year before. So, who knows?
    Good post - I agree that it looks likely that the value at #30 will be in a D-Lineman. Lots of quality 3-4 Dline prospects and a few of them have to make it to the bottom of the first. Personally, I have guys like Wilkerson, Heyward etc way ahead of guys like Houston and Reed. I like Houston and Reed, but I like the quality of the Dline prospects much better. Unless a guy like Kerrigan falls, my personal preference would be quality Dline prospect over 2nd tier pass-rusher. But, equally, the Jets might feel that the Dline talent is so deep that they can go pass-rush first and then look to add 3-4 linemen later. It's anyone's guess which way it will go.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know why we are spending so much time talking about Justin Houston

    his workout basically made him a top 20 pick. He had a sick workout. It was like Von Miller level good. heck it may have been better than von Miller.... considering he was 25 pounds heavier.

    and he's clean i.e. doesn't have a tumor in his brain, led the SEC in sacks last year... what's not to like?

    6'2" 270, 30 reps, 4.62 40 with a 1.62 10 yard split, 36.5 vert, 10.4 broad, 6.95 3-cone

    pass on him? the Jets would be lucky to see him at 30. also he fits both defenses well.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-29-2011 at 02:45 PM.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I dont know why we are spending so much time talking about Justin Houston

    his workout basically made him a top 20 pick. He had a sick workout. It was like Von Miller level good. heck it may have been better than von Miller.... considering he was 25 pounds heavier.

    and he's clean i.e. doesn't have a tumor in his brain, led the SEC in sacks last year... what's not to like?

    6'2" 270, 30 reps, 4.62 40 with a 1.62 10 yard split, 36.5 vert, 10.4 broad, 6.95 3-cone

    pass on him? the Jets would be lucky to see him at 30. also he fits both defenses well.
    Does his film back up the workouts and production. I made the mistake of overlooking Gholston standing around on a lot of plays when he was in college because he was a beast workout wise and had the numbers. I want a relentless never stop kind of guy on every play.

    Also since there are going to be 35 guys gone for sure before the Jets pick at 30 we should be in good shape.

    Edit: btw I had the Jets taking Houston and J.Jenkins with the 1st and 3rd picks of my 1st jets mock.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 03-29-2011 at 02:54 PM.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Does his film back up the workouts and production. I made the mistake of overlooking Gholston standing around on a lot of plays when he was in college because he was a beast workout wise and had the numbers. I want a relentless never stop kind of guy on every play.

    Also since there are going to be 35 guys gone for sure before the Jets pick at 30 we should be in good shape.
    everyone is scared of every pick being like Gholston. we should draft skinny players from small schools with no sacks cause they ain't like Gholston

    we all know that end of the day 4-3 DE converting to 3-4 OLB is risky.

    but Justin Houston appeals to both teams cause he played in both defenses.

    He's the only conversion player with actual 3-4 LB experience.

    I have broken down in other posts who I believe will and won't be there, Justin Houston most times, won't be there. make 10 mocks, Houston is off the board 8 of those 10 times. He's in the Heyward category of wishful thinking. His workout was absolutely top notch. Guys who work out that well and lead the SEC in sacks, don't usually last until 30. if Justin Houston went to Temple like Wilkerson, yeah ok maybe that competition hurts his stock.

    I guess what Im trying to say is nothing hurts Houston's stock. He's got no injuries, suspensions or other red-flags.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-29-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us