Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to think trading up is a good idea

JetsInsider.com Legend

Starting to think trading up is a good idea

I really want to walk away with an elite talent for the front seven.

lamont-jordan-rule's thread really got me thinking. If we were to trade up into the 15-22 range and grab someone like Cam Jordan, Aldon Smith, or Heyward I don't think anyone would really complain.

Any of those guys would be a welcome addition.

I know there are many who want to move down and yes, I know we haven't had a heap of draft picks over the past few years.

But adding a legit playmaker to the front seven is what can put this defense and team over the top.

It is a good idea. Team is deep and looking for starter quality guys on the D...depth on offense...probably/maybe a K...

I've been thinking the same thing. In fact, I was contemplating a thread even more radical in trading up...

This is not the time for Tannenbaum to abandon his bread and butter: to hell with BPA, get aggressive with specifically-targeted-difference-makers.

Actually, there's one player I'd love to see on this team over the next 3 years of perennial superbowl run: Von Miller....

I know it's crazy...but there are the Brooks Reeds of the draft, and there's Von Miller.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing. In fact, I was contemplating a thread even more radical in trading up...

This is not the time for Tannenbaum to abandon his bread and butter: to hell with BPA, get aggressive with specifically-targeted-difference-makers.

Actually, there's one player I'd love to see on this team over the next 3 years of perennial superbowl run: Von Miller....

I know it's crazy...but there are the Brooks Reeds of the draft, and there's Von Miller.
    If you told me I could pick one player in the entire draft to add to the Jets, it would be Von Miller.

Problem is, I doubt he makes it out of the Top 5.

Hell, he could go in the Top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If you told me I could pick one player in the entire draft to add to the Jets, it would be Von Miller.

Yeah but the guys just way out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Dont see him going in the top 3. Carolina wont take him and neither with denver and the bills now apparently want a QB according to rotoworld. So he very well could make it out of the top 3 and on draft day crazier things have happened he could slide for one reason or another. Wont know till draft day.

Bills GM Buddy Nix held a "State of the Team" meeting on Monday, and Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 Buffalo came away convinced that the Bills will be drafting a quarterback with the No. 3 overall pick.
    Both Nix and coach Chan Gailey spoke extensively of never wanting to draft at No. 3 again. "You can't just have tunnel vision about this year," Gailey said. "You have to look at the broad spectrum of where we're headed as a franchise." While all of this could be a smokescreen, it's worth noting that the State of the Bills was directed strictly at season-ticket holders.

heck von miller could go 2 to denver

john fox loves to draft linebackers

the Jets are on record saying they like Cam Jordan... i wonder how they trade up at all.. they have no 2nd... very little ammo. are we talking about mortgaging 2012 picks?

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    are we talking about mortgaging 2012 picks?
    yes. i would. this team is leveraged into the present. also, the draft strategy Tbaum uses quite often of targeting players and not waiting for BPA altho hi risk, has proven *at least* as successful vis a via the polar opposite philosophy employed by New England of trade down and accumulate.

Tbaum has proven that you can build a team that way when supplemented by an equal willingness in FA.

Notice, when he has stayed pat with some notorious picks, the results have been less optimal at times (see gholston; wilson) than when he "just sics" like a dog and trades up. I think the likelihoods of success here are very interesting.

(It would be an interesting look at the recrd to divide it into picks made by "Best Player determined by preordained draft slotting" and related definitions of "deterministic Availability" and "Greatest Player at any particular point in the draft sequence and at a deliberately negotiated point of value exchange" and related definitions of "entrepreneurial Availability".) But that is a digression.

Anyway, I believe that some concoction of players and picks would do it.

I would give our first this year and next year, our third this year, a fourth nest year plus Kellen Clemens and someone else if we had to get up to number two. Forget the specifics, I'm willing to travel up to 2 and pay for it.

I just think that the Rex and Tbaum machine needs to get that impact player on defense that can drop the shoulder, bend the edge, and get to the QB without parsing it too much. They need a guy with the greatest likelihood of success in the shortest duration with as little likelihood of failure as possible.

IMO, after the past two years, they need to realize that the CBs can't be the blitzers. If they get a Von Miller, I will guarauntee you at least one superbowl over the next four years.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

the draft strategy Tbaum uses quite often of targeting players and not waiting for BPA altho hi risk, has proven successful

Tbaum has proven that you can build a team that way when supplemented by an equal willingness in FA.

I would give our first this year and next year, our third this year, a fourth nest year plus Kellen Clemens and someone else if we had to get up to number two. Forget the specifics, I'm willing to travel up to 2 and pay for it.

I just think that the Rex and Tbaum machine needs to get that impact player on defense that can drop the shoulder, bend the edge, and get to the QB without parsing it too much. .

... agree that mikey t has a proven track record of success with moves up ...

... i certainly will be paying close attention to the draft long before pick 30 ...

... keeping the two wr's & cro ... along with getting that impact player to pressure the qb would position us in good shape to take the next step and make the big game ... would love to see it happen ...

... i believe i read we are not able to trade players with the lockout situation ... and that goodell & the owners have cautioned teams about whether or not there will be a 2012 draft (in the poker game vs. players association strategy) ... that was where my thoughts that our #3 may be the only realistic ammo we have to move upwards ...

... i'm very pleased that we have the man in charge who has shown he is as willing and able to make such a move as anyone in the league ...

l_j_r

yes. i would. this team is leveraged into the present.

if Mark Sanchez were in year 10 i would agree. He's probably still 2 or 3 seasons away from Super Bowl caliber play. I don't support mortgaging all of this draft and the 1st from next year for any single player.

All Pro
    Yeah. Let's do it.

The defense is just one stud pass rusher away from being virtually impossible to score on.

Adding Aldon Smith or Von Miller would make everybody else's job easier.

The offense is all dependent on Sanchez. The weapons and the OL are already in place.

Get the guy who can get to the QB and everything else will fall into place.

There are plenty of players on the DL to develop. DeVito, Piti, Dixon, Gilbert... those guys are good enough up front. They will be even better with a real threat on the outside... even Pace would be better.

DO IT

yes. i would. this team is leveraged into the present. also, the draft strategy Tbaum uses quite often of targeting players and not waiting for BPA altho hi risk, has proven *at least* as successful vis a via the polar opposite philosophy employed by New England of trade down and accumulate.

Notice, when he has stayed pat with some notorious picks, the results have been less optimal at times (see gholston; wilson) than when he "just sics" like a dog and trades up. I think the likelihoods of success here are very interesting.

(It would be an interesting look at the recrd to divide it into picks made by "Best Player determined by preordained draft slotting" and related definitions of "deterministic Availability" and "Greatest Player at any particular point in the draft sequence and at a deliberately negotiated point of value exchange" and related definitions of "entrepreneurial Availability".) But that is a digression.

Anyway, I believe that some concoction of players and picks would do it.

I just think that the Rex and Tbaum machine needs to get that impact player on defense that can drop the shoulder, bend the edge, and get to the QB without parsing it too much. They need a guy with the greatest likelihood of success in the shortest duration with as little likelihood of failure as possible.

IMO, after the past two years, they need to realize that the CBs can't be the blitzers. If they get a Von Miller, I will guarauntee you at least one superbowl over the next four years.

Teams may trade future draft picks ďat [their] own riskĒ

Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2011, 12:38 AM EDT

Until the lockout is resolved, players canít be traded. Draft picks can be traded.

Future draft picks, beyond 2011, also can be traded. But an ominous caveat comes from ESPNís Chris Mortensen.

Per Mort, the league has advised teams that any trades of draft picks beyond 2011 will occur ďat [their] own risk

In other words, there may not be a draft in 2012.

That would be one potential outcome of the current Brady antitrust litigation. Though the case does not yet directly attack the draft itself since the labor agreement expressly contemplates that a draft will be held in 2011, we explained when the lawsuit was filed that the case could be amended in the future to include a member of the 2012 draft class, with a specific allegation that the draft violates antitrust laws.

And, frankly, it quite possibly does. Assuming the decertification of the union sticks, an effort by 32 separate companies to divvy up incoming workers easily runs afoul of the antitrust laws.

That said, if the players ultimately take away the draft from the NFL, the players will be taking away the draft from the fans. And that would be a P.R. nightmare for the men who play the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...heir-own-risk/

You don't just trade up to trade up, or even vice-versa.

It's all about the specific players. If the Jets think there is a guy worth a mid 1st round grade but is certainly going to be available at 30, then you sit there and wait for him.

For all we know, they could have a 3rd round grade on someone you mentioned such as Cam Jordan.

I disagree significantly with the people who think we should trade back just to add depth because the bottom line is that we're going to be cutting draft picks. There are only so many roster spots, and we already have good depth.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I understand that Von Miller will go top 10 and possibily top 5. But, does he truly deserve that distinction? How would Von Miller rate against top pass rushers in other years? I'm not sure what it is - it may be his size - but something makes me nervous about him. Obviously I'd love for the Jets to have him, but if I were picking 2 - 5, I'd be hesitant (but I'm not sure exactly why).

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    You don't just trade up to trade up, or even vice-versa.

It's all about the specific players. If the Jets think there is a guy worth a mid 1st round grade but is certainly going to be available at 30, then you sit there and wait for him.

For all we know, they could have a 3rd round grade on someone you mentioned such as Cam Jordan.

I disagree significantly with the people who think we should trade back just to add depth because the bottom line is that we're going to be cutting draft picks. There are only so many roster spots, and we already have good depth.
    except for the fact that we have something like 17 FA's...There is no guarantee this team will have the quality of depth they did last year. The Jets have a lot of future contracts signed for a whole bunch of practice squad guys, but that doesn't necessarily mean "good" depth.

Id rather not this year, being fully honest....we already don't have a 2nd round pick, and I believe because of the CBA, trading 2012 picks isn't an option either.....you would pretty much be putting your entire draft into 1 player by trading up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Id rather not this year, being fully honest....we already don't have a 2nd round pick, and I believe because of the CBA, trading 2012 picks isn't an option either.....you would pretty much be putting your entire draft into 1 player by trading up.
    i'm actually thinking this may be the year the jets trade back, out of the first round. especially if a team in the top 7 or so in round 2 really wants a qb like ponder or mallett. the jets can still get an impact defensive front 7 player with that early 2nd round pick, and it would give tanny the ammo he needs to move around the draft to get other guys they're targeting.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Teams may trade future draft picks ďat [their] own riskĒ

Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2011, 12:38 AM EDT

Until the lockout is resolved, players canít be traded. Draft picks can be traded.

Future draft picks, beyond 2011, also can be traded. But an ominous caveat comes from ESPNís Chris Mortensen.

Per Mort, the league has advised teams that any trades of draft picks beyond 2011 will occur ďat [their] own risk

In other words, there may not be a draft in 2012.

That would be one potential outcome of the current Brady antitrust litigation. Though the case does not yet directly attack the draft itself since the labor agreement expressly contemplates that a draft will be held in 2011, we explained when the lawsuit was filed that the case could be amended in the future to include a member of the 2012 draft class, with a specific allegation that the draft violates antitrust laws.

And, frankly, it quite possibly does. Assuming the decertification of the union sticks, an effort by 32 separate companies to divvy up incoming workers easily runs afoul of the antitrust laws.

That said, if the players ultimately take away the draft from the NFL, the players will be taking away the draft from the fans. And that would be a P.R. nightmare for the men who play the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...heir-own-risk/
    This most affects the Pats, with their quantity of picks. That #33 pick was looked at as one of the most valuable picks in a while because of the time between 32 and 33. I wonder if teams will offer up even more considering that there's a possibility that there is no draft. On the flip side, I wonder if the Pats will be more hesitant to trade it away if they think there's a real possibliity of this happening.

I'd think its extremely unlikely that it will go that far - but I also thought there wouldn't be a lockout so what the fuk do I know?

I agree that this may be the year that the Pats are forced to use all of their picks due to the possibility of no draft in 2012.

It would be a catastrophe for the NFL if there were no draft next year. The Bills, Bengals and Cardinals of the NFL would really suffer in that scenario. However, a team like the Jets, who have a coach like Rex should more than hold their own. The "haves" of the NFL would feast over the "have nots."

As much as I salivate at the thought of being able to try and sign any number of top rookies next year it would be terrible for the health of the league if that scenario went beyond one year. Even one year could greatly alter the competitive balance in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    except for the fact that we have something like 17 FA's...There is no guarantee this team will have the quality of depth they did last year. The Jets have a lot of future contracts signed for a whole bunch of practice squad guys, but that doesn't necessarily mean "good" depth.
    And stocking up picks in the 6th and 7th rounds doesn't mean "good" depth either.

And by a lot of accounts, it looks as though quite a few of those guys are coming back.