Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to think trading up is a good idea

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I understand that Von Miller will go top 10 and possibily top 5. But, does he truly deserve that distinction? How would Von Miller rate against top pass rushers in other years? I'm not sure what it is - it may be his size - but something makes me nervous about him. Obviously I'd love for the Jets to have him, but if I were picking 2 - 5, I'd be hesitant (but I'm not sure exactly why).
    His athleticism is what's exciting. He comes around the edge and gets so low that it really appears as though tackles are going to have a big problem with him.

He's not the strongest guy in the world so that definitely causes some concern, but the athleticism and ability to rush the edge is the exciting part. Tough to compare him to other guys because he's certainly different.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not in favor of trading up unless we trade up high which would assuredly mean we have to give up next years #1. The value of players in this draft levels off a bit and I don't see a must have guy there at 22 for us, we would have to give up our 3rd plus to move up. One also can't ignore the salary aspect of things. The Jets were pinching pennies last year.

I don't think we have the ammo (no 2nd rounder) to move up this year and I would be surprised if any of the 'too good to pass up' guys are there at 22 or so. The good thing is that our front office has shown to be light on their feet and can make deals quickly if they see the opportunity. The Jets have not been a trade down kind of team but if the draft falls in a certain way and the top olb and DE's are gone and we are faced with QB's, OL and such I do hope they actually trade down.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    His athleticism is what's exciting. He comes around the edge and gets so low that it really appears as though tackles are going to have a big problem with him.
    He's not the strongest guy in the world so that definitely causes some concern, but the athleticism and ability to rush the edge is the exciting part. Tough to compare him to other guys because he's certainly different.
    Gotcha. As soon as you mentioned that, 1 player stood out for me - Dwight Freeney. He is able to get so low that he creates real nightmares for Tackles. But, he also has the strength and leverage to throw Tackles aside once he gets them off balance. He's probably got 25 lbs on Miler, but Miller will probably grow into his body some.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This most affects the Pats, with their quantity of picks. That #33 pick was looked at as one of the most valuable picks in a while because of the time between 32 and 33. I wonder if teams will offer up even more considering that there's a possibility that there is no draft. On the flip side, I wonder if the Pats will be more hesitant to trade it away if they think there's a real possibliity of this happening.

I'd think its extremely unlikely that it will go that far - but I also thought there wouldn't be a lockout so what the fuk do I know?
    Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL Radio is saying if you see Belichick trade a 2011 pick for a 2012 pick you know he's pretty comfortable that a labor deal will be done..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are a bunch of pot smoking fools. In the deepest draft in history for DL's, you want to mortgage the entire draft on an OLB? I'd trade down to recapture a second round pick way before I'd go up the chain.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And stocking up picks in the 6th and 7th rounds doesn't mean "good" depth either.

And by a lot of accounts, it looks as though quite a few of those guys are coming back.
    Your right it doesn't. My point was that with a lot of FA it might be wise to hang on to picks to make sure you have some bodies for depth. The point may be null and void once the CBA is cleared up and also with the Jets ability to sign higher profile UDFA's, but its a point to keep in mind nonetheless.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The key to trading up is that you have to trade up shrewdly. For example, last year Tanny traded Leon Washington and 2 draft picks to move up. This to me is a waste of a draft pick In that situation I would have only traded the 3rd rounder and Leon for the pick. So we need to trade up shrewdly.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The key to trading up is that you have to trade up shrewdly. For example, last year Tanny traded Leon Washington and 2 draft picks to move up. This to me is a waste of a draft pick In that situation I would have only traded the 3rd rounder and Leon for the pick. So we need to trade up shrewdly.

... think you have your trades confused ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5132583

the Jets traded their popular all-purpose star to the Seahawks for the small price of a fifth-round pick.

Actually, it was Washington and a seventh-round pick for the fifth-rounder, which the Jets used to select Kentucky fullback John Conner.

... the main reason for the trade was we were not going to spend the $$$ that was going to be needed to resign him ... better to get john conner than lose him for nothing in return ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When i started thinking about this yrs draft,my 1st instinct was to trade up and add that blue chip Pass rusher this defense needs in the worst way.I have since changed my mind and it had to do with something CBTNY posted making reference to the Jets burning the candle at both ends.

We need to let this process play itself out and take the best player left on our board at whatever position he plays.A question was asked about if there was any player worth trading up for and IMHO,the answer is no.Not because there's no player the Jets could used,but because of the risk that comes with the player base on the position of need we would be looking to fill.

Our needs and the players that fit those needs combined with the money required to signed that player is minimal compared to the risk involve.As i see it,the closer we get to the draft,the more players the fans believe the Jets should add continue to improve their draft stock.

Great for us.Stay Put,and if you have the oportunity,trade down.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    When i started thinking about this yrs draft,my 1st instinct was to trade up and add that blue chip Pass rusher this defense needs in the worst way.I have since changed my mind and it had to do with something CBTNY posted making reference to the Jets burning the candle at both ends.

We need to let this process play itself out and take the best player left on our board at whatever position he plays.A question was asked about if there was any player worth trading up for and IMHO,the answer is no.Not because there's no player the Jets could used,but because of the risk that comes with the player base on the position of need we would be looking to fill.

Our needs and the players that fit those needs combined with the money required to signed that player is minimal compared to the risk involve.As i see it,the closer we get to the draft,the more players the fans believe the Jets should add continue to improve their draft stock.

Great for us.Stay Put,and if you have the oportunity,trade down.
    I would absolutely trade up 10-15 spots for someone like Heyward, Quinn, Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan. A chance to add a real difference maker to the front seven and put this team over the top.

Picks be damned.

This is a team that's built to win right now. I think we've demonstrated that with back to back trips to the AFC Championship Game.

The way things are setting up, we're gonna be stuck reaching on someone like Stephen Paea, Brooks Reed, or Allen Bailey and hoping for the best.

Do your thing Tanny. Make me proud.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly sir...and we've seen that when Mike T is looking for an immediate starter that trading up is his MO.

It just doesn't seem like it'll be easy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like everyday another prospect that was thought to be around come the #30 pick is now being elevated by people here to go well before #30..

I think we're up to around 40 prospects that are supposed to go before #30..And don't forget Al Davis and the Bengals pick before the Jets and we know those 2 teams always go against the grain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It seems like everyday another prospect that was thought to be around come the #30 pick is now being elevated by people here to go well before #30..

I think we're up to around 40 prospects that are supposed to go before #30..And don't forget Al Davis and the Bengals pick before the Jets and we know those 2 teams always go against the grain.
    and don't forget teams that panic and draft qbs well before they should go. in this regard i hope the jets trade back, as i still think they can get an impact front 7 defensive player in the early 2nd round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I would absolutely trade up 10-15 spots for someone like Heyward, Quinn, Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan. A chance to add a real difference maker to the front seven and put this team over the top.

Picks be damned.

This is a team that's built to win right now. I think we've demonstrated that with back to back trips to the AFC Championship Game.

The way things are setting up, we're gonna be stuck reaching on someone like Stephen Paea, Brooks Reed, or Allen Bailey and hoping for the best.

Do your thing Tanny. Make me proud.

Let say you trade up your 10 spots to add Heyward to this team,where is the Jets getting a Pass rush from since it will probably cost you your 3rd and maybe another pick.Are you relying on those scrubs you consistently put down that we don't know about or is it coming from the players we already ghave because you see them stepping up due to the addition of Heyward.

I know some love the potential of Aldon Smith and Ryan Kerrigan,but trading up for these players who are much better 43 DEs than 34 OLBers is a risk not worth taking when you have nothing to back them up with.

The way things look today,we are looking at Phil Taylor maybe at 30 and the likes of maybe Justin Houston (my favorite).How much better is Heyward and a 5th,6th and 7th rounder compared to say a pick in the top 10 in round 2 our own 3rd and another 4th.

What if instead of Heyward,we can add Jerrell Powe,a Jarvis Jenkins and Brooks Reed or a Jabaal Sheard or say a Mc Daniel or Williams to play SS.

We don't need 1 good or special player,but a great Pass rusher to impact this defense.That player doesn't exist for us in this draft .We need to find Diamonds who still look like coal.These are the players who excel in college but are being looked over due to some short comings.Bruce Millers,and Cliff Mathews and Stephen Peas and Marvin Austins of the world

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let say you trade up your 10 spots to add Heyward to this team,where is the Jets getting a Pass rush from since it will probably cost you your 3rd and maybe another pick.Are you relying on those scrubs you consistently put down that we don't know about or is it coming from the players we already ghave because you see them stepping up due to the addition of Heyward.

I know some love the potential of Aldon Smith and Ryan Kerrigan,but trading up for these players who are much better 43 DEs than 34 OLBers is a risk not worth taking when you have nothing to back them up with.

The way things look today,we are looking at Phil Taylor maybe at 30 and the likes of maybe Justin Houston (my favorite).How much better is Heyward and a 5th,6th and 7th rounder compared to say a pick in the top 10 in round 2 our own 3rd and another 4th.

What if instead of Heyward,we can add Jerrell Powe,a Jarvis Jenkins and Brooks Reed or a Jabaal Sheard or say a Mc Daniel or Williams to play SS.

We don't need 1 good or special player,but a great Pass rusher to impact this defense.That player doesn't exist for us in this draft .We need to find Diamonds who still look like coal.These are the players who excel in college but are being looked over due to some short comings.Bruce Millers,and Cliff Mathews and Stephen Peas and Marvin Austins of the world
    Agreed, I see what looks like panic on there that a lot of Dlineman are working out great and the 'they will all be gone!" worry. More than likely at least one of the guys we have our eyes on will be there, if not go to plan B. I can't see us trading up to get that one 'targeted' great player as we are not going to get one unless we move up pretty high.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it, they won't be trading up for a guy unless they ABSOLUTELY LOVE his game. Aldon Smith, while you think might be better suited for 43 DE than 34 OLB... truth is none of us really have the eye that scouts and Rex do. If he sees Smith as a superstar, it's well worth the risk IMO.

I'm not saying to trade up just for the sake of trading up. I'm saying trade up if a guy they have targeted falls to an area where it's a realistic possibility.

It's not very likely this scenario actually plays out. And I tend to agree with your opinion in that they need to look for gems in the middle rounds. But if they like Kerrigan... whomever... enough and that player is in position to be taken, they should jump on it.

Keep in mind that this defense was top 3 without a top pass rusher, so they have the DL and the SS and the CBs already. The last missing piece is a sack master.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    The way I see it, they won't be trading up for a guy unless they ABSOLUTELY LOVE his game. Aldon Smith, while you think might be better suited for 43 DE than 34 OLB... truth is none of us really have the eye that scouts and Rex do. If he sees Smith as a superstar, it's well worth the risk IMO.

I'm not saying to trade up just for the sake of trading up. I'm saying trade up if a guy they have targeted falls to an area where it's a realistic possibility.

It's not very likely this scenario actually plays out. And I tend to agree with your opinion in that they need to look for gems in the middle rounds. But if they like Kerrigan... whomever... enough and that player is in position to be taken, they should jump on it.

Keep in mind that this defense was top 3 without a top pass rusher, so they have the DL and the SS and the CBs already. The last missing piece is a sack master.

I agree with that whole heartedly.I want a sack artist also,but not at the expense of the 3rd rounder and or next yrs 1st.What we need is a situational player who can rush the passer.The role Jason Taylor was supposed to play last yr.I want a guy who on 2nd and long or 3rd and Long,his job is to go get the QB.I'm not trading up for him and you can't get me to believe that this player doesn't exist outside of the big names.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with that whole heartedly.I want a sack artist also,but not at the expense of the 3rd rounder and or next yrs 1st.What we need is a situational player who can rush the passer.The role Jason Taylor was supposed to play last yr.I want a guy who on 2nd and long or 3rd and Long,his job is to go get the QB.I'm not trading up for him and you can't get me to believe that this player doesn't exist outside of the big names.
    If you agree that a player who can pressure the QB is the missing piece, why would you let a 3rd round pick get in the way of that? Finding the 'situational' guy in the 3rd will not really help this year. The reason why you trade up for a Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn is because you think that player can help NOW.

It seems like you're looking for someone to do the job of a 1st rounder but taken in the 3rd or 4th. It's just being greedy IMO.

It would be great to trade back and land Marvin Austin in the 2nd then Sheard in the 3rd and have both of them turn into All-Pro players or contributors right away. I'm sure you know that isn't a realistic expectation.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really want to walk away with an elite talent for the front seven.

lamont-jordan-rule's thread really got me thinking. If we were to trade up into the 15-22 range and grab someone like Cam Jordan, Aldon Smith, or Heyward I don't think anyone would really complain.

Any of those guys would be a welcome addition.

I know there are many who want to move down and yes, I know we haven't had a heap of draft picks over the past few years.

But adding a legit playmaker to the front seven is what can put this defense and team over the top.
    I can easily agree with you we need 4 to 5 positions filled to maintain the quest for the Trophy. I would have no problem getting a cornerstone for the D, and find some of the other positions by other means along the way having a somewhat young OL and Qb affords us this luxury and now might be the time. idk.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    If you agree that a player who can pressure the QB is the missing piece, why would you let a 3rd round pick get in the way of that? Finding the 'situational' guy in the 3rd will not really help this year. The reason why you trade up for a Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn is because you think that player can help NOW.

It seems like you're looking for someone to do the job of a 1st rounder but taken in the 3rd or 4th. It's just being greedy IMO.

It would be great to trade back and land Marvin Austin in the 2nd then Sheard in the 3rd and have both of them turn into All-Pro players or contributors right away. I'm sure you know that isn't a realistic expectation.
    There's 2 maybe 3 if you include Aldon Smith who i would consider trading up for.Von Miller who i don't believe is a premier pass rusher.Great player,not a premier pass rusher.Robert quinn who would give rex ryan a chubby and the aforementioned Smith.The problem is i don't think the Jets have the ammo to make that deal.IMHO,no other player is worth trading up for that could provide what this defense is severly lacking.The situational Pass rusher i like at 30 is Justin Houston but who know if he will even be there.