Thread: TheMo's Mock Offseason v.2

TheMo's Mock Offseason v.2

Resign:
    Santonio Holmes- legitimate #1 threat with the complete package of skills (route running, explosiveness, etc.); not sure if it will be possible but protections should be added to the contract for drug issues
    Braylon Edwards- high end #2 target with size and speed
    Trevor Pryce- offered very nice situational pass rush, could be our Ellis for this year (who I am assuming gets an offer we can’t compete with)
    Brodney Pool- level of play went up as he got comfortable with the defense
    Drew Coleman- nice #4 corner, solid on corner blitzes

Allowed to walk:
    Antonio Cromartie- overrated speedster who lacks technique in any form, not worth the money/years he’ll likely be offered; as speed deteriorates during long term contract he’ll become completely useless
    Brad Smith- versatile team player, solid returner, but will get overpaid by some desperate team; is nothing more than a #4 WR on offense; wildcat is an extra piece, but not the staple of an elite offense
    Sean Ellis- we need some youth upfront, and he’ll likely get a fat contract with some team in dire need of a vet DL
    Eric Smith- considered bringing him back and wouldn’t be furious if he was, decent backup with below average cover skills
    Wayne Hunter- stepped up his play when Woody went down, but will get a long term contract; have to let our draft picks (Ducasse) have a chance to maintain some semblance of cap health currently and in the future; Woody’s contract will be better suited to serve as a stopgap
    Tony Richardson- great leader but it’s time to move on and have Conner step up

Released:
    LT- tank is almost at empty
    Bryan Thomas- average but overpaid
    Damien Woody*- hopefully since the two sides part on good terms he can be brought back into the fold for a decent short term contract; if his injury is bad (only the Jets really know the severity) Hunter or another FA will need to signed
    Jason Taylor*- see LT
    Kris Jenkins* (restructure ideally)- glass cannon but worth taking one last shot on
    Ben Hartsock*- one dimensional TE, certainly not worth his current cap value
    Vernon Gholston*

* Have actually been cut

FA Signings:
    Stephen Bowen DT/DE- Very underrated, he’ll be a great relatively young (27) big body to add to the DL; pretty good pass rusher from his position and still solid run stopper
    Chris Gocong ILB- Solid all around linebacker, who I believe is a better complement at ILB than Harris; will come cheaper because he is not a big name at all
    Marcus Bernard DE/OLB- Also from the Browns, this guy is a sleeper in my opinion (only 26 and got 7 sacks in limited snaps) and could explode if given a more expanded role; with Cleveland switching defenses we might be able to swoop in and get him for a fair price

Trades:
    Harris (tagged) for 2nd round pick- SD might be in the market for an ILB, since both of their ILBs are FAs and they have two second round picks. Redskins might also be interested since they have barely any pieces to run their 3-4 at the moment. Dan Snyder also is willing to pony up tons of $$$ for pretty much anyone so don’t think the extension will concern him.

Draft:

1st- Cameron Heyward DE/DT: Continue to inject youth into the DL. Heyward is a blue chipper who has fallen due to some inconsistent play and his recent elbow injury. But the talent is definitely there, making him a no brainer in my opinion if he is available at our spot.

2nd- Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB: Terrific pass rusher with tons of potential; has a nice arsenal of moves which makes him less prone to flaming out when he meets the athletes in the NFL; falls into 2nd because of character concerns

3rd- Jerrell Powe NT: A legitimate nose tackle in the mold of Casey Hampton/BJ Raji; was played as a 3-tech this year and subsequently watched his stock fall, also questions over his IQ; intelligence concerns are overplayed garbage in my view, he’ll be a steal in the 3rd

4th- Bruce Miller DE/OLB: Ran very well at his pro day and has excellent production; accomplished pass rusher and another boost to the anemic pass rush; double dipping will help ensure that we get a player to fix the rush.

5th- Derek Newton OT: Very athletic tackle who needs to be coached, basically a perfect type of prospect for the Jets

6th- Alex Henery K/P: Dual kicker-punter; at the very least he will be an upgrade to Folk both on kickoffs and field goals, not sure whether it would be wise development-wise to have him punt too

7th- Chris Prosinski FS: Very fast, excellent athlete from a smaller program; good upside but needs to be coached up

gosh I hope they don't trade David Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    gosh I hope they don't trade David Harris.
    I don't know, I am pretty down on him. I think he's overrated and will probably get way more than he is worth.

he's better than Bart Scott. that dude is overrated.

it doesn't really matter without a CBA there cant be any trades.

Wayne Hunter- stepped up his play when Woody went down, but will get a long term contract; have to let our draft picks (Ducasse) have a chance to maintain some semblance of cap health currently and in the future; Woody’s contract will be better suited to serve as a stopgap

Just handing the job to Ducasse is not the way to go even though I think he is our RT of the future. Unless Hunter wants huge dollars I don't see us dropping him and I don;t see him being in high demand by other teams.

I think it would be a grave mistake to drop Harris at the cost of a 2nd rounder. Our run defense has been solid the last few years, whey make a potential hole when there isn't one at this time.

Jets Insider VIP
    To hell with trading Harris.

Why do so many people want to get rid of our best player in the front seven?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Just handing the job to Ducasse is not the way to go even though I think he is our RT of the future. Unless Hunter wants huge dollars I don't see us dropping him and I don;t see him being in high demand by other teams.

I think it would be a grave mistake to drop Harris at the cost of a 2nd rounder. Our run defense has been solid the last few years, whey make a potential hole when there isn't one at this time.
    I meant we should sign either Hunter or Woody. I don't know which cause of the injury, but if it's Hunter then so be it. Ducasse HAS to have some comp for the spot.

As for Harris I guess it's just Much Ado and myself who think he's not so great and that Scott is the better of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    To hell with trading Harris.

Why do so many people want to get rid of our best player in the front seven?
    Agreed. Its pointless