Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Callahan at Utah pro-day today...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The agents pay, but i have no idea how much it costs. It is expensive, probably upwards of $20K per guy. An amazing business for these places as they provide a virtual necessity for these players nowadays.

If ayers is there at 30 he should be our pick. Rex loves versatility and ayers has a ton of experience in coverage, along with the speed and athleticism to rush the QB on a blitz. Also has good sideline-sideline range to help against the run. Seems like the perfect guy to play opposite of pace on day 1 since he wont be changing positions and has more then enough college experience.
    absolutely agree....if the Jets draft him the arguement could be made he's now the best three down defender in the linebacker corp...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    absolutely agree....if the Jets draft him the arguement could be made he's now the best three down defender in the linebacker corp...
    How do you see his potential as a pass rusher?!? He clearly is versatile enough to play all four LB positions from the get go but in the end we need a guy who can ram into the QB on a consistent basis. Even though he wasnt used exclusively as a rush LB his moderate sack numbers are certainly a little red flag...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    How do you see his potential as a pass rusher?!? He clearly is versatile enough to play all four LB positions from the get go but in the end we need a guy who can ram into the QB on a consistent basis. Even though he wasnt used exclusively as a rush LB his moderate sack numbers are certainly a little red flag...
    Word has it that he played off the line so much at UCLA that it detracted from his sack totals. I am no CBNY though, so I'd wait for his take on this lol. From watching his tape it would appear that he plays off the line or in coverage A LOT, thus my belief in this theory. Also I'd say it had more to do with how great he was in coverage moreso than an inability to rush the passer. Just my 0.02 on the guy. Hope this helped!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Word has it that he played off the line so much at UCLA that it detracted from his sack totals. I am no CBNY though, so I'd wait for his take on this lol. From watching his tape it would appear that he plays off the line or in coverage A LOT, thus my belief in this theory. Also I'd say it had more to do with how great he was in coverage moreso than an inability to rush the passer. Just my 0.02 on the guy. Hope this helped!
    they also lined him up in a three point stance often....as far as Ayers as a pass rusher he's okay, not great...then again if you have a linebacker that can cover TE's on 3rd and 6 it would make the job easier for someone like Calvin Pace...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I also think we need to lean on Rex a little with a player like this.

There are a few guys that seem like natural pass rushers in this draft: quinn, von miller, kerrigan, to name a few. 2 of those will be gone way before we pick and kerrigan, while i dont feel this way, apparently has concerns attached to him as far as playing in a 3-4 defense.

In our defense, rex should put the players in a position to succeed and get to the quarterback with his scheme. The players just need the speed, athletic ability, and football smarts to get there and ayers does.

More importantly he can cover and is very fast sideline to sideline which is also something we desperately need. Id rather see us get a fast, athletic 3 down player who can open things up for the rest of the defense.