Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forget about Cameron Heyward...

Just a few thoughts on a bit of the film on pro days on path to the draft today. Not all that meaningful because these are just small impressions.

Locker didn't impress me at all. He only missed on a few passes they say but he was babying them and floating them a bit, at least to my eye. I hope someone likes this guy and takes him early because I don't think he is going to amount to much.

Tyron Smith on the other hand looked fantastic body wise and agility wise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    maybe/maybe not...it is not a universal opinion from teams that Heyward is a first round pick...its amazing to me but i don't see how Andy Dalton is a 1st round QB and it looks that way as of today...
    Sounds as if he slapped Mallett a high five on their way to opposite directions no?

Ponder looked better in the game but Andy Dalton was arguably the best QB on the field during Senior Bowl practices.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Ponder looked better in the game but Andy Dalton was arguably the best QB on the field during Senior Bowl practices.
    lol- well yeh, except for colin kaepernick...

DT Cameron Heyward: Ohio State (6-5, 295)
    A lot of scouts I talked to after the Ohio State workout werenít real pleased with the 4.95 40 time of Heyward. However, in my mind itís not a big deal. Itís not like the guy is an edge/speed player. Heís a power guy who is going to either play as a five technique in a 3-4 or a LDE in a 4-3 with three-technique potential. Honestly, thatís about what I thought he would run anyway.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...shakedown.html

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    A lot of scouts I talked to after the Ohio State workout werenít real pleased with the 4.95 40 time of Heyward. However, in my mind itís not a big deal. Itís not like the guy is an edge/speed player. Heís a power guy who is going to either play as a five technique in a 3-4 or a LDE in a 4-3 with three-technique potential. Honestly, thatís about what I thought he would run anyway.

Who expected more? The guy who wrote him up as an OLB prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Who expected more? The guy who wrote him up as an OLB prospect?
    Hey I am more than happy for people to expect "more" and pass up on him lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

the Jets are showing huge interest in Heyward...

Awesome.

Seems like we'd have to trade up a few spots to get him though, no?

Please god...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

its funny....now 4.95s for a 300lb DT/Two-gap end is "slow" or "not pleasing"...give me a break....

btw- heard the exact opposite- Guy looked like just another "guy" at pro-day during drills and most had him over 5-seconds...

DL Lawrence Guy: Arizona State (6-5, 304)
    Guy is one of the more interesting prospects in the defensive line class as he possesses an impressive size/speed combo, can bend and has some anchor to his game as well. He ran in the high 4.9 range at his pro day, proved how gifted of an athlete he was during position drills and could end up being one of the more sought after five-technique prospects in this yearís draft after round one. There are some concerns about his overall instincts and mental make-up. However, if he can continue to improve in that area, he really is a gifted athlete with starting potential in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Very nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Awesome.

Seems like we'd have to trade up a few spots to get him though, no?
    If we were to trade up 10-15 spots for Heyward, you'd hear no complaints from me. As others have said, he's one of the safest players in the draft and fits what we do on defense perfectly.

Worst case scenario - He's a solid starter for a number of years

Best case scenario - He's Richard Seymour 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If we were to trade up 10-15 spots for Heyward, you'd hear no complaints from me. As others have said, he's one of the safest players in the draft and fits what we do on defense perfectly.

Worst case scenario - He's a solid starter for a number of years

Best case scenario - He's Richard Seymour 2.0
    Agree, he would immediately fill the Shaun Ellis role and be a Jet for a decade. Ayers and Heyward seem like the best and most realistic 1st round fits for the defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Apparently so are the Ravens and the last time I looked they're picking ahead of us
    We're definitely going to have to trade up to get him. Heyward pretty much solidified his status as a Top 20-22 pick with his pro day, as CBNY pointed out a few days ago.

I'd have no problem moving up to snag him, just because Heyward is one of the very few players in the 1st round that I would move up for.

I personally think his ability to get to the QB is underrated. He's certainly not a burner around the edge but he can definitely get some push and help collapse the pocket. He's as good as it gets versus the run and brings that fiery leadership mentality as well. In addition to playing like an absolute monster on the field against Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl, you could also see him on the sidelines and in the huddle working guys into a frenzy. Would love to see us add someone like that to the front seven. Harris and Ellis are more "lead by example" kind of guys and Bart Scott basically just trash talks all day.

I mean this in the least rude way possible...but duh. The guy is a prototypical 3-4 DE with 5 more pounds.

I mean this in the least rude way possible...but duh. The guy is a prototypical 3-4 DE with 5 more pounds.
    You never know, sometimes coaches look for different qualities in their ends. Some prefer the Ellis type over bulls/pluggers like Heyward. I personally think he is awesome, but I am just a dude behind a computer screen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    You never know, sometimes coaches look for different qualities in their ends. Some prefer the Ellis type over bulls/pluggers like Heyward. I personally think he is awesome, but I am just a dude behind a computer screen lol.
    One of each works well too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

HOpefully the Jets are, as we speak, manufacturing a scandal regarding Heyward. Something on the order of cheating on a test or fathering an illegitimate child. Just enough to have him drop about 7 spots.

I wouldn't be shocked if Heyward went Top 15. Is it written in stone that Cam Jordan or JJ Watt are better prospects than Heyward?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

except for the simple fact there are a number of top rated 3-4 DL and OLB the jets have not given the time of day to....