Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jenkins unlikely to rejoin Jets because of ... Field Turf?

Jenkins unlikely to rejoin Jets because of ... Field Turf?

[url]http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/article/817804--jenkins-unlikely-to-rejoin-jets[/url]

[QUOTE]The NFL lockout couldn’t come at a better time for run-stuffer Kris Jenkins and his ailing body.

The former Jets’ nose tackle is still recovering from his second serious knee injury in as many years. The 31-year-old is using the time and the pace of his own offseason workouts to make another comeback attempt, likely with a team that plays on natural grass.

“I’d be interested if [the Jets] had grass on the stadium field but right now, that’s the big thing and they don’t,” Jenkins told Metro yesterday. “I’ve played here long and loved it. I love this team, I love the fans and I’ve bonded with this team. I feel like I have a connection with this city.”

Jenkins was released by Gang Green after the season but confirmed he was offered a one-year deal to come back at a reduced salary. But it’s about more than money for the four-time Pro Bowler. The FieldTurf at New Meadowlands Stadium has hurt both home teams that play there, stripping seasons away from both Jenkins and Giants kick returner Domenik Hixon.

“[FieldTurf], it ain’t my friend. Just as far as my health is concerned, I need to think about that and how my body can and will respond,” Jenkins said. “New York would be a major possibility, we’ll have to see, but at this point in time, I want to take care of me, too.”[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, Kris. Your injuries have nothing to do with the fact that you are 500 pounds. It's the turf.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;3990816]Yes, Kris. Your injuries have nothing to do with the fact that you are 500 pounds. It's the turf.[/QUOTE]

There are guys heavier than Kris and they aren't getting hurt so obviously weight isn't the only reason.

Some people are just more likely to get injured. He's one of them. It sucks, but I do hope he's back. Dude is such a damn good player. Every bit as dominant as Revis when he's healthy.

it should be noted this is his 3rd ACL. he had 1 before the Jets... on Carolina's grass turf.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Does Carolina have field turf also? Last I remember, he was injured more then not there also.

Sorry Jenks... a field of marshmello's wouldn't stop you from blowing out those bad knees of yours again.

dont most teams have the field turf now?

My advice to jenkins, wear knee braces. Parcells would have forced you to for your own good.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3990816]Yes, Kris. Your injuries have nothing to do with the fact that you are 500 pounds.

It's the turf.[/QUOTE]

Seems like the Turf was wearing a #57 jersey when it smashed into his knee on Opening Night

Probably got it from Tara.

Right, field turf. Nothing to do with fatness and a blown out knee.

Let's see how quickly he jumps at the money should he be offered longer term deal for Bigger $$$ with a team that plays on artificial turf

Well I guess he'll go to the Redskins, they have grass. Doesn't matter where he goes, he'll have to play on turf at some point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=John_0515;3990872]Right, field turf. Nothing to do with fatness and a blown out knee.[/QUOTE]

Didn't that other Fatty Big Wood go out with the same injury??:eek:

New Meadowlands Nears Completion with FieldTurf
    New Meadowlands Stadium, the future home of the New York Giants and New York Jets, became one step closer to completion today, following a major round of installation of the new FieldTurf

Live Webcam & Timelapse Footage of the installation can be viewed at [url]http://www.nyg2010.com/cam.html[/url]

FieldTurf, largely considered the world leader in artificial turf and the preferred provider for the National Football League, was selected to supply the New Meadowlands Stadium with its latest product. Both the NY Giants and NY Jets are well-accustomed to FieldTurf, which is utilized at Giants Stadium and at the respective practice facilities of both teams. [B]Twenty-one of the NFL’s 32 teams currently use FieldTurf at their stadium and/or practice complex[/B].

The premium synthetic turf surface installed at the New Meadowlands Stadium represents the latest version developed by FieldTurf. Beginning in the 2010-11 season, the New Meadowlands Stadium will utilize the world’s only full color, removable end zone and midfield markings, allowing both the NY Jets and NY Giants to display all team appropriate field/end zone logos and markings during home games. Most notably, this development will allow the midfield marking to change and be team appropriate for the first time.

“Throughout the design of the New Meadowlands Stadium, we have enforced a commitment to state-of-the-art facilities, and our FieldTurf is no exception,” said Mark Lamping, President and CEO of the New Meadowlands Stadium Company. “We are thrilled to continue our existing partnership with FieldTurf, and celebrate the final installation of the most modernized, innovative playing field in the industry.”

“The New Meadowlands stadium is a facility that has been highly anticipated by the Giants and Jets organizations, their fans and the media,” said FieldTurf President Eric Daliere. “Both of the team coaches can be supremely [B]confident that their teams will play on the highest quality and safest turf that is manufactured in the world today[/B]. And aesthetically, the fans of both teams will really enjoy what they see when their favorite players take the field next season.”

Upon completion in 2010, the New Meadowlands stadium will have a seating capacity of 82,500 and will be the third-largest stadium in the National Football League, setting the standard for venue excellence with state-of-the-art technology, comfort and amenities. Highlights include four massive 30 x 118 foot HD video display boards in each of the stadium corners; a 48" x 2200' ribbon board that circles the interior bowl; 2100+ HD Monitors throughout the stadium; and 20 HD video pylons ranging in size from 20’x40’to 20’x 60’.

Outside the stadium, fans will be treated to a 350,000-square-foot outdoor plaza filled with fan-centric activities and pregame entertainment zones. A signature amenity of the stadium will be the brand new rail line that will drop off passengers directly in front of the stadium — the total trip from New York’s Penn Station will take less than 20 minutes.

Hall Of Fame
    the turf is obviously his only bargaining chip to get a contract much above above league minimum.

he gave the Jets literally less than ten minutes last year and took millions, he should be embarrassed and willing to play for free.

unfortunately, people don't get embarrassed anymore

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3990885]the turf is obviously his only bargaining chip to get a contract much above above league minimum.

he gave the Jets literally less than ten minutes last year and took millions, he should be embarrassed and willing to play for free.

unfortunately, people don't get embarrassed anymore[/QUOTE]

His leg getting bent back had to do with field turf? I understand the turf isn't great for people getting caught under it, but Jenkins isn't the only person who's gotten injured on any turf.

It's what it is, but like Timmy said let's not pretend it's why he's not returning.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3990885]the turf is obviously his only bargaining chip to get a contract much above above league minimum.

[/QUOTE]

... ding ... ding ... ding ... :yes: ... :iwon: ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=JetPotato;3990816]Yes, Kris. Your injuries have nothing to do with the fact that you are 500 pounds. It's the turf.[/QUOTE]

+1

Kris likes to talk...And looking at the past 5 years or so of his career, he's more talk than player...

It took Rex having a contest for him to lose weight before TC last year becuase he was a few pzza slices under 400 LBS...

But the media love him so they'll never question him..

All League
    So, he'll go to a team with a grass field and only play home games? and the occasional grass road game? Super bowl is on Turf, have to sit that out too... :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Savage69;3990879]Didn't that other Fatty Big Wood go out with the same injury??:eek:[/QUOTE]

Achilles?

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe Kris is trying to create a palusible rationale in the mind of any GM out there whose team plays on grass. It is worth a try if you are Jenkins. I am not sure anyone will be buying it but it was worth a try.