Thread: 1st round mock (with comments)

Jets Insider VIP

1st round mock (with comments)

This is the first time I have done one of these. Please post comments and criticisms. Thanks!

1) CAROLINA PANTHERS - Patrick Peterson, CB - LSU

Carolina smartly takes the safe pick who also turns out to be the best pick. Newton and Gabbert are not sure enough things for a defensive coach in Rivera who will not be swooned by a QB who he can put into his system, ala Chan Gailey (see below).

2) DENVER BRONCOS - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Denvers line is trash. Dareus has been shooting up boards.

3) BUFFALO BILLS - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

Chan Gailey sees to much potential here to pass on someone he believes can execute his unique offense.

4) CINCINNATI BENGALS - AJ Green, WR, Georgia

Bengals would love to go QB, but Gabbert isn't that good, and Mike Brown, perhaps the worst owner in the NFL is too stubborn anyway to draft a QB, essentially giving Palmer his wish to leave. This is one of the biggesst Q's in the draft in my opinion. Like previously noted, the Bengals will need a QB, but QB doesn't really fit for them here. They will also need a WR, but will have no one to throw him the ball. The Bengals D line is pretty decent, so do they go back to strengthening that area? Maybe these answers will become clearly in the coming weeks, but right now, in a pure toss up AJ Green is the pick.

5) ARIZONA CARDINALS - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Joey Porter was a terrible signing. Von Miller is a unique talent who fills what is perhaps the Cards biggest need.

6) CLEVELAND BROWNS - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Another big question mark right now. The Browns need offensive weapons if Colt McCoy wants to prove that last years 6 game stretch can translate into legitimate nfl success. At the same time, Holmgreen is complete rehauling the defensive scheme for reasons that no one can really comprehend. Cleveland's 3-4 was pretty decent last year, however the Browns will be switching to the 4-3 even though they have next to no players at the moment that can run said scheme. Because of this I believe the Browns will go with Bowers who is a unique talent, although personally I would be wary of taking a Clemson player in the first round. Kind of sad when the best pro player drafted from Clemson in the past few years is Jacoby Ford.

7) SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS - Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina

This pick is another toss up since we aren't really familiar with Harbaugh drafting as a head coach. Quinn is the pick for now, but it could easily change to Gabbert in the coming weeks.

8) TENNESSEE TITANS - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

Titans get there Albert Haynesworth back

9) DALLAS COWBOYS - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Newman is old and Jenkins doesn't try.

10) WASHINGTON REDSKINS - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Brad Smith U

McNabb era was short and in typical Redskin fashion, a complete disaster. Shanahan gets a signal caller to build around.

11) HOUSTON TEXANS - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

12) MINNESOTA VIKINGS - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

Minny would love a QB, but the two "best" ones are gone, and they won't reach on Locker. The two best CB's are also gone, so Minny settles on a receiver, since I dont seeing them paying big FA buck to a guy who has only done it one year in Sidney Rice.

13) DETRIOT LIONS - Tyron Smith, OT, USC

14) ST. LOUIS RAMS - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

15) MIAMI DOLPHINS - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

I really didn't want to put what is perhaps the most consistently mocked pick on the internet on here, but it just makes to sence. Fins have literally nothing at RB.

People seemed to be taking the "RB's are a dime a dozen" approach way too overboard recently as well. While that saying maybe true, heisman trophy winning RB's from the SEC are not exactly a dime a dozen. This guy will get it done at the pro level.

16) JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue

Classic Gene Smith pick. Good character guy with a high motor.

17) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Cameron Jordan, DE/DT California

Brady can generate points with anyone. Bellichecks CB's can step into that system and make big plays, but the Pats pass rush has been pretty weak the past few years. Cameron Heyward could also go here after his awesome pro day, plus he seems like a Bellicheck guy, which sucks for the Jets.

18) SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple

Another pick that is consistently being tagged by mockers, but it just makes to make sense right now to do otherwise

19) NEW YORK GIANTS - Aldon Smith, Missouri

20) TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - Cameron Heyward, DE/DT Ohio State

CB is a huge need now that Aqib Talib and his Mom where featured in the latest episode of "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong".... " I dont like people paying on my phone" (2 points to anyone who gets that reference)

Unfortunately for the up and coming Buc's the best CB is also rumored to be slightly insane, so they pass on the super talented but highly questionable character in Jimmy Smith.

Adrian Clayborn has also been a popular pick for the Bucs, but again, they may be scared off in light of Talib, of making a questionable character pick. Therefore the go with Heyward who is on the rise after a solid pro day.

21) KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

Pioli gets his Wilfork

22) INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

23) PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

Eagles do not shy away from questionable character guys. Smith would give the Eagles an elite combo paired with Asante Samuel

24) NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

In a bit of a surprise the Saints take Leshoure, hoping he can provide a consistent option in the running game.

25) SEATTLE SEAHAWKS -Mike Pouncey, G, Florida.

Seattle looks to beef up their o line and try to elevate Marshawn Lynch above JAG status.

26) BALTIMORE RAVENS - Anthony Castanzo, OT, BC

27) ATLANTA FALCONS - Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia

Sticking with the local kida, Falcons have few holes and look towards the future in finding J Abes eventual replacement.

28) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

Tom Brady turned Seattle Sehawk Deion Branch into 2004 Deion Branch, but that wont last forever.

BTW, that 1st round trade of Branch between the Seahawks has to be one of the biggest fleecings in recent memory.

29) CHICAGO BEARS - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsn

30) NEW YORK JETS - Adriran Clayborne

Rex would have loved Heyward or Wilkerson but unfortunately they are gone in this mock. Rex still comes away happy feeling that he can coach up Clayborne and that the veteran leadership on the team will prevent Adrian from getting into any fight with NYC cab drivers.

31) PITTSBURGH STEELERS - Aaron Williams, FS/CB, Texas

The Steelers do the anti Steelers thing and pick a CB in the first round, although they can also throw him at safety if they so choose.

32) GREEN BAY PACKERS - Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    Last edited by Ruby2; 03-30-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Really good job if you ask me, even the few off the board picks. The Reed pick is one of the only that is eyebrow raising, though as a super bowl winner you can take whoever you want.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Really good job if you ask me, even the few off the board picks. The Reed pick is one of the only that is eyebrow raising, though as a super bowl winner you can take whoever you want.
    Thanks Fish,

I updated the mock because I orignally forgot Tyron and Aldon Smith.

Ayers is to the Pack now, and Reed falls out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Good Job overall, Ruby, but I'm not a big fan of Clayborn.

If the board fell this way I would rather take Allen Bailey, and of course I did.

Thanks Ham.

I will admit, I don't really do to much research into the players outside of what I saw from them while watching college ball. I generally made my picks by assessing the needs of the teams, and then picking which player makes most sense based on all the things I have read by the "experts".

You and Bit, who are definitely very savy, have Bailey as a legit 1st round prospect, but I just haven't seen it in a lot of other places, that is why I went with Clayborne, but I could see Bailey there too.

I would rather tradeout if the board falls that way, get xtra pick and take someone like Jasper Jenkins or Kinrick Ellis in later rds..

Great mock and explanations Ruby. The one pick that caught my eye was Liuget to the Rams. It was my understanding that they would be looking for a pass rusher. Could you explain your thinking behind that one?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Great mock and explanations Ruby. The one pick that caught my eye was Liuget to the Rams. It was my understanding that they would be looking for a pass rusher. Could you explain your thinking behind that one?
    This was one of my "up in the air picks"

The Rams are in a weird spot if Julio Jones is off the board at their pick, which he is in this draft.

I have heard a lot of things about Liuget shooting up boards, and I think he would fit Spags 4-3 well and is underrated as a pass rusher.

I am not confident in this pick honestly, but you just know one of the DT's will go a bit higher than expected, just so happens in this case it's Liuget. But again, I could be totally wrong, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    This was one of my "up in the air picks"

The Rams are in a weird spot if Julio Jones is off the board at their pick, which he is in this draft.

I have heard a lot of things about Liuget shooting up boards, and I think he would fit Spags 4-3 well and is underrated as a pass rusher.

I am not confident in this pick honestly, but you just know one of the DT's will go a bit higher than expected, just so happens in this case it's Liuget. But again, I could be totally wrong, lol.
    Thanks for the explanation...great thought process.

Good job, I don't think the Pats take a WR with their 2nd choice though.

I see either a trade or OL, DL or OLB.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

10) WASHINGTON REDSKINS - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Brad Smith U

... seeing gabbert as a potential # 1 off the board pick ... would be surprised if a team didn't draft or trade up for him if he's still on the board in the 4-10 range

All Pro
    Love this projected pick for the Jets. Coming into the season, Clayborn was seen as one of the top defensive prospects in the nation. He had a bit of a down year as opponents keyed on him, but he is still a very talented, hard-working player who gives a great effort. I'd love to get him at #30 and think he would prove to be a steal. I'm not overly concerned with the issue of his arm - he has played with the condition throughout his college career and it didn't stop him from performing at a very high level.

Not too concerned about his "off the field" issue either. I mean, who hasn't been temped to sock a cab-driver at some point in their life?!?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Love this projected pick for the Jets. Coming into the season, Clayborn was seen as one of the top defensive prospects in the nation. He had a bit of a down year as opponents keyed on him, but he is still a very talented, hard-working player who gives a great effort. I'd love to get him at #30 and think he would prove to be a steal. I'm not overly concerned with the issue of his arm - he has played with the condition throughout his college career and it didn't stop him from performing at a very high level.

Not too concerned about his "off the field" issue either. I mean, who hasn't been temped to sock a cab-driver at some point in their life?!?
    I think I remember IaHawk saying just that - Clayborn was the one getting the extra attention to the benefit of Ballard. That's an interesting perspective re his production this past year.

If I was a QB hungry team I'd be trying to trade for Kolb. I just don't really love any of the QB's in this draft as a top half of round one franchise QB. With Kolb you have a still reasonably young guy that has been trained by one of the best in Andy Read and should be ready to take off.

I really hope lot's of teams take QB's before us, better for what will be there for us but I'm going to stick my uneducated neck out now and take my lumps later by saying none of these top rated QB's are going to be really good nfl Qb's.

All Pro
    If I was a QB hungry team I'd be trying to trade for Kolb. I just don't really love any of the QB's in this draft as a top half of round one franchise QB. With Kolb you have a still reasonably young guy that has been trained by one of the best in Andy Read and should be ready to take off.

I really hope lot's of teams take QB's before us, better for what will be there for us but I'm going to stick my uneducated neck out now and take my lumps later by saying none of these top rated QB's are going to be really good nfl Qb's.
    I hope Buffalo or Miami trades for him because he won't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I hope Buffalo or Miami trades for him because he won't be good.
    I think he is better than any of the guys they could draft. I hope they actually draft one of the QB's this year.

CB is a huge need now that Aqib Talib and his Mom where featured in the latest episode of "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong".... " I dont like people paying on my phone" (2 points to anyone who gets that reference)
    Anyone who missed it is an OLD FOGEY! It's only from the greatest sketch comedy show of all motherf'n time.

All Pro
    I think he is better than any of the guys they could draft. I hope they actually draft one of the QB's this year.
    Newton is a winner and he would scare me.

Kolb, not so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Anyone who missed it is an OLD FOGEY! It's only from the greatest sketch comedy show of all motherf'n time.

All Pro
    Goo mock, but i'm not buying this Green to CIN stuff. no way.

..and c'mon. whether or not we agree with it, its newton to CAR. Dareus is the only other possibility.

Good for the Texans.