Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need to draft a QB in this draft?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

by all means yes

the jets should take a good look at greg mcelroy.he reminds me of pennington.except that he has a stronger arm.he really blossomed last season.if the jets can get him in the 4th or 5th round.it would be a great addition forthe jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    I think Stanzie would be a great backup. The problem is someone is going to pick him in the top three rounds (i believe).
    stanzis arm strenghth is suspect.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Greg McElroy in the 5th. Smart guy, leader, could drive a cadillac for a few games should he need to.

Just the kind of guy I want to see as a long-term backup to the Sanchize.

Brunell is on his last legs, and it's clear that the Jets don't view Clemens as a long-term option.

We need a young guy who can be an effecitve #2 and play in a pinch. To me, McElroy would be a perfect and affordable option for this role.
    I agree with you .mcelroy is probably the smartest quarterbacks in this draft.he reminds me of pennington.with a stronger arm.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    stanzis arm strenghth is suspect.
    I agree about his arm, but still think he is going to get drafted before he should. I would take him in the 6th, but i believe he goes in the 3-4.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thus far,i see 2 votes for Ricky Stanzi so let me go ahead and make that 3.

I don't want to take a QB until the 5th round thou,so Stanzi may be out of play.In that case,The kid from NC T.J. Yates.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beerfish, if Sanchez isn't the guy, we're going to be trading up to draft another QB in a few years, signing a FA QB, or trading for precisely the kind of QB you're talking about drafting. Only then we'd be trading for a somewhat known quantity, that has already established themselves somewhere else. Let someone else assume the risk. If Sanchez isn't the guy, there's no scenario where the reigns get handed over to a 4th-7th round pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Beerfish, if Sanchez isn't the guy, we're going to be trading up to draft another QB in a few years, signing a FA QB, or trading for precisely the kind of QB you're talking about drafting. Only then we'd be trading for a somewhat known quantity, that has already established themselves somewhere else. Let someone else assume the risk. If Sanchez isn't the guy, there's no scenario where the reigns get handed over to a 4th-7th round pick.
    That was a very very small part of the 'risk' part of my posts. The Sanchez is not the guy part.

If you read my series of posts squawking about the QB position it is the back ups that I'm squawking about. We have close to if not the worst set of backups at that position in the league. In my opinion you should always be developing someone behind your starter, even if the guy is a later round long shot.

Now if the Jets don't want to go that route fine they should at the very least look for a vet backup that can play. That is the crux of my argument. We have no developmental QB, we have no Qb that can play now if Sanchez goes down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't think we should. Sanchez is still the JETS sweat heart so no way we take one in the 1st 3 rounds. If we can rehab Ainge I still think he brings a lot to the table. Clemens may still be there as well and O'Connell is better then anything we will get in the late rounds here. I'm still not apposed to putting Smith in either. We also still have Willy and Brunell as options so we are well covered at BU QB IMO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I just don't think we should. Sanchez is still the JETS sweat heart so no way we take one in the 1st 3 rounds. If we can rehab Ainge I still think he brings a lot to the table. Clemens may still be there as well and O'Connell is better then anything we will get in the late rounds here. I'm still not apposed to putting Smith in either. We also still have Willy and Brunell as options so we are well covered at BU QB IMO.
    Smith and Ainge probably wont be back, Brunell should be nothing more than a QB coach at this point, and I think Clemens and the Jets part ways.

That leaves O'Connell who could be a decent backup, but hasn't won my trust and Willy, who I love! Willy is definitely not the most athletic guy in the world, but has shown the ability to throw down field, make good decisions, and protect the ball. While he has been nothing short of a journey man his first few years in the league (which brings questions in and of itsself), he has won a title with the UFL Los Vegas team. I have great hopes of him being a solid backup for the Jets, but he isn't going to prevent the Jets from further evaluating and upgrading the backup spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Smith and Ainge probably wont be back, Brunell should be nothing more than a QB coach at this point, and I think Clemens and the Jets part ways.

That leaves O'Connell who could be a decent backup, but hasn't won my trust and Willy, who I love! Willy is definitely not the most athletic guy in the world, but has shown the ability to throw down field, make good decisions, and protect the ball. While he has been nothing short of a journey man his first few years in the league (which brings questions in and of itsself), he has won a title with the UFL Los Vegas team. I have great hopes of him being a solid backup for the Jets, but he isn't going to prevent the Jets from further evaluating and upgrading the backup spot.
    I'm just really rooting for Ainge so I am bias on this one. Was a fan of that Tenn. team and he with out a doubt has the talent. O'Connell I don't think is a bad BU either. I also just don't see a reason why we should even consider any of these QBs. We need someone who is ready to go not a rookie.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'm just really rooting for Ainge so I am bias on this one. Was a fan of that Tenn. team and he with out a doubt has the talent. O'Connell I don't think is a bad BU either. I also just don't see a reason why we should even consider any of these QBs. We need someone who is ready to go not a rookie.
    Based on the article detailing Ainges drug abuse, it did not seem like he was going to get another shot as a member of the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

yes we do need to draft a q.b.

if we can draft greg mcelroy in the fifth or sixth round.I think that would be a plus for the jets.He is a heady q.b.He reminds me of pennington with a stronger arm.He has been improving every year with alabama.I checked out his stats this past season.He looks like a good sleeper for the jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    for what its worth- the Jets are very interested in Pat Devlin/Delaware....not a fan myself...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    for what its worth- the Jets are very interested in Pat Devlin/Delaware....not a fan myself...
    I was toying with putting him at the end of my last mock but I read somewhere that he was pure garbage at his pro day, was late and looked terrible. (Or something to that effect.)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I was toying with putting him at the end of my last mock but I read somewhere that he was pure garbage at his pro day, was late and looked terrible. (Or something to that effect.)
    i watched him extensively at UD, saw him at Shrine Game practices and was at his combine workout- i see no arm or real ability to throw the ball...timing/touch passer...

that said there are people i trust who disagree- they see a bit of tom brady in him- someone you can develop and in two years then BAM! there he is....

i like him as a #2/timing/WCO passer....it'll be interesting to see what happens later this month then the following two years...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    i watched him extensively at UD, saw him at Shrine Game practices and was at his combine workout- i see no arm or real ability to throw the ball...timing/touch passer...

that said there are people i trust who disagree- they see a bit of tom brady in him- someone you can develop and in two years then BAM! there he is....

i like him as a #2/timing/WCO passer....it'll be interesting to see what happens later this month then the following two years...
    Isn't that what the Jets would be looking at him as?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Isn't that what the Jets would be looking at him as?
    likely...check your email...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets' record of drafting QB's or unsigned rookie free agents in recent years hasn't been stellar. Outside of Sanchez who was bascally a no brainer tradeup pretty much every young qb this team has gone after either in the draft or as an unsigned rookie FA has sucked bawls. Bollinger, Rat/Clemens/Ainge - all horrible.

I really don't think it would be beneficial to use another late rd pick on another Eric Ainge type to compete for a 3rd string job with Kelly Clunkers when it could be used on a more useful player at a different position. Someone mentioned Gradkowski earlier that's not a bad idea. He's not a great or even a good player but he is better than Clemens who really should be gone or 50 yr old Brunell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No... we definitely don't need to be wasting any draft picks on QBs. In theory, Mark is our guy and will start 16 + games a season indefinitely. He's not at an age where we need to be thinking about a successor.

We don't need to be drafting QBs and grooming a relief pitcher. They have no express value in the NFL until something happens. Thats what the Marc Bulgers and Kellen Clemens o the league are here for. Your starting QB goes down, and that's it. thats a wrap.

So no we don't need to draft one. Unless.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Tyrod Taylor.

As long as he's willing to play some specials as he earns his stripes, I think he could be the wildcat/backup QB. He's a very underrated passer and could be more than just a backup QB rotting on the depth chart.
    +1 ...unless its a guy like a Taylor, cause his role is entirely different. He's not just an extension of the position, but a lateral dynamic that can be situational useful in the present.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-08-2011 at 05:07 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    An upgrade at backup QB would be nice, but given the limited number of draft picks we have this year, I am inclined to say "no." Of course, it will all come down to value and how about draft board shapes up in the later rounds.

When you have a young franchise QB on your team, it's simply not essential to have a top tier back up on the roster. While our back up QB situation leaves much to be desired, Brunnel and Clemens do have a solid track record of 2-0 in the past two seasons when called upon. We can't really ask for more in terms of results.

Peronally, I would much rather see us build depth on the defensive side of the ball, and possibly pick up a veteran #2 at some point in the next two years.