Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need to draft a QB in this draft?

Do we need to draft a QB in this draft?

I'm sure some of you have seen my rage posts on the main forum in regards to our QB situation behind Sanchez.

Unless the rumor that O'Connell was going to be back this year after his hand injury or whatever he had last year is proven we have zippola behind Sanchez. I don't know what the values are like in later rounds but I'd feel a whole lot better if we had at least one development guy back there.

Personally Id like to go after Bruce Gradkowski from oakland once FA happens....guys seems like a competitor and is young enough to be a 3 year-type signing.

Its never too early to look for a backup Qb. I really thought Ainge was going to b the backup. What about someone like Stanzie?

All Pro
    Makes sense to me - Clemens isn't seen as being good enough to be the #2, so it's time to find someone who might be able to take that spot in the next year or two.

Much will depend on whether we stick with our current picks, package to move up, or trade down. The fewer picks we have, the less likely we even consider a QB.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... no ...

(still disagree with you on where upgrading the #2 qb spot fits in with the team priority list)

... limited draft picks available ... what round are you planning to get him in? ...

... our needs are dt,de,olb,fs ... and now perhaps og with the news of moore's surgery ....

l_j_r

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... no ...

(still disagree with you on where upgrading the #2 qb spot fits in with the team priority list)

... limited draft picks available ... what round are you planning to get him in? ...

... our needs are dt,de,olb,fs ... and now perhaps og with the news of moore's surgery ....

I don't pick a later round and then say, this is when I'll pick a player. It would depend on when value met position. The thing about all of the other positions you mention, we would like to upgrade all of those but at least we have something in the ways of backups for most of them, even if we want to get better.

At QB we have a guy who was made to take a pay cut then dumped to 3rd string who may very well leave as a FA and a guy who will be 41 to start next year who has thrown 42 passes in the past 4 years and a guy who had a shoulder injury last year that has thrown 6 passes in the league.

If Sanchez ever goes down, we're going to run the ball AT LEAST 66% of the time. It will be ground and pound, ground and pound, ground and pound; bleed the clock and try to win 10-7. That will be Rex's strategy no matter who we have as a backup. Doesn't make sense to invest a draft pick in a backup QB to maybe throw 15 passes in a game or two, especially not a kid. Anyone you trust to start half a season is going to be given the opportunity to start somewhere else. The backup QB is there in case your starter is out for a few plays or a game or two, not to step in if the starter goes down with a major injury and keep the team performing at a similar level for an extended period of time.

All Pro
    Tyrod Taylor.

As long as he's willing to play some specials as he earns his stripes, I think he could be the wildcat/backup QB. He's a very underrated passer and could be more than just a backup QB rotting on the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    If Sanchez ever goes down, we're going to run the ball AT LEAST 66% of the time. It will be ground and pound, ground and pound, ground and pound; bleed the clock and try to win 10-7. That will be Rex's strategy no matter who we have as a backup. Doesn't make sense to invest a draft pick in a backup QB to maybe throw 15 passes in a game or two, especially not a kid. Anyone you trust to start half a season is going to be given the opportunity to start somewhere else. The backup QB is there in case your starter is out for a few plays or a game or two, not to step in if the starter goes down with a major injury and keep the team performing at a similar level for an extended period of time.
    This is where I totally disagree with people on this issue. If the starter goes down essentially season over mentality. It's the most important position on the field and people worry more about who their 5th CB or 7th o-lineman is than their 2nd QB. Not only that it can be a good future asset if the guy does develop and do well. I'm not saying you go after a high pick or a big dollar backup but people being okay with who we have as our backups boggles me. I don't expect the Jets to use a pick on a QB or upgraded as they seem to have stated they are happy the way things are. i just think it's folly.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Its never too early to look for a backup Qb. I really thought Ainge was going to b the backup. What about someone like Stanzie?
    I think Stanzie would be a great backup. The problem is someone is going to pick him in the top three rounds (i believe).

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally Posted by JB1089
    If Sanchez ever goes down, we're going to run the ball AT LEAST 66% of the time. It will be ground and pound, ground and pound, ground and pound;

Doesn't make sense to invest a draft pick in a backup QB to maybe throw 15 passes in a game or two, especially not a kid.

Anyone you trust to start half a season is going to be given the opportunity to start somewhere else.

The backup QB is there in case your starter is out for a game or two ..

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is where I totally disagree with people on this issue. If the starter goes down essentially season over mentality.
    ... sorry bro ...

... this is salary cap era football ...

... we need our backup qb to be able to manage the game for us to the tune of a 3-1 or similar record if sanchez goes down for a small part of the season ...

... mark is our guy for the next 10-15 years so no need to grab a kid to train in qb play & then lose to become another teams starter ... a vet who will hold the fort for a month is the best we should hope for at the #2 qb spot ...

... the days of having a steve young on the bench have long since flown away ...

... any player worth his salt is going to be offered starting qb money & teams are not able to afford to pay the backup qb spot that amount & maintain the starters for the rest of their team at optimal level ...

It's the most important position on the field and people worry more about who their 5th CB or 7th o-lineman is than their 2nd QB.
    ... incorrect chief ...

... capwise we are worrying about starting WR & starting CB ...

... draftwise we are worried about a player at DT,DE,or OLB ... who would be able to start some plays per game this year for us ... and then step into a starter role next season ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Greg McElroy in the 5th. Smart guy, leader, could drive a cadillac for a few games should he need to.

Just the kind of guy I want to see as a long-term backup to the Sanchize.

Brunell is on his last legs, and it's clear that the Jets don't view Clemens as a long-term option.

We need a young guy who can be an effecitve #2 and play in a pinch. To me, McElroy would be a perfect and affordable option for this role.

l_j_r
    Don't call me "Chief" or "Bro" jackass. Your posts are the same rehash of what you have said before. It's a cap era so we shouldn't even dare to upgrade our QB situation and if we draft a QB later on or sign a cheap but living a breathing backup we are going to lose all of our top FA's. Assume that Sanchez is our guy for the next 10-15 years when there are things like injuries and under performance from franchise QB's all the time. As far as managing the game, there comes a point where the guy in charge is not an NFL caliber player and won;t be able to manage the game, ala a 41 year old Brunell.

Teams that neglect any position on their roster (and the Jets have done with with the kicker position to some extent) are looking to fail in the big game.

I've said it before if you are happy with less than jags as backups fine and dandy. I'm not.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Don't call me "Chief" or "Bro" jackass. Your posts are the same rehash of what you have said before.

... yours too buddy ...

Teams that neglect any position on their roster (and the Jets have done with with the kicker position to some extent) are looking to fail in the big game.

... ahhhhhh, so now it's the kicker position that we need to prioritize our cap-money in ... good to know ...

l_j_r

... sorry bro ...

... this is salary cap era football ...

... we need our backup qb to be able to manage the game for us to the tune of a 3-1 or similar record if sanchez goes down for a small part of the season ...

... mark is our guy for the next 10-15 years so no need to grab a kid to train in qb play & then lose to become another teams starter ... a vet who will hold the fort for a month is the best we should hope for at the #2 qb spot ...

... the days of having a steve young on the bench have long since flown away ...

... any player worth his salt is going to be offered starting qb money & teams are not able to afford to pay the backup qb spot that amount & maintain the starters for the rest of their team at optimal level ...

l_j_r
    It is because of the salary cap that the Jets should be looking into drafting a QB. Brunnell is set to make 1.3 million dollars. He will cost more as a 42 year old veteran than a late round rookie making 400,000. You are way off and the fact is, if that developmental QB turns into anything, the Jets have trade value....you make it sound like all these late round QBs are turning into Tom Brady. Most are lucky to stick around and develop as backups. I'll take someone with some upside than someone who has nothing left.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... what you seem to be disputing is the exact opposite of what my BFF BF is arguing ... so let me break your post down ...

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    It is because of the salary cap that the Jets should be looking into drafting a QB. Brunnell is set to make 1.3 million dollars. He will cost more as a 42 year old veteran than a late round rookie making 400,000.
    ... my take is that beer is looking to spend more to have a younger more talented #2 qb that could take us to the playoffs and beyond if sanchez goes down for significant time ...

... again, you are arguing the exact opposite position ... you state the 1.3 million we are paying the #2 qb spot is too high and want to cut it down to a minimum salary with a late round draft pick in next months draft ...

... i'm not averse to the idea of drafting a prospect for the future with a late pick, but do not expect him to be anything more than a #3 qb for at least 2011 & 2012 ...

... in that case, for 2011 we are now sitting at 1.3 million invested in the #2 qb spot and 400k invested in the #3 qb spot ...

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE SAYING HOWEVER IS YOU WANT THIS DRAFT PICK TO BE OUR #2 FOR 2011

... in that case you better hope nothing minor happens to sanchez either (it's a given, of course, nothing major as well ) ...

You are way off and the fact is, if that developmental QB turns into anything, the Jets have trade value....you make it sound like all these late round QBs are turning into Tom Brady. Most are lucky to stick around and develop as backups.

... THIS IS JUST GIBBERISH ...

... first off - what am i way off on? ...

... second off i never said anything about a developmental qb one way or the other before this post as a #3 ... i do not want one as our #2 for 2011 ...

... third not sure where you pulled out that i'm saying all late round qb's are going to be tom brady ... i'll stay polite for the kiddies and go with you pulled it out of your nose, rather than another body part ...

... my hope for drafting a late round qb would be that by year 3-4 he'd be able to step into the #2 role for us ... or give us some return as trade bait at that point ...

I'll take someone with some upside than someone who has nothing left.
    ... so will i for a developmental #3 qb ... not for a #2 qb in 2011 ...

l_j_r

I'd take Stanzi or the Delaware guy as a backup/developmental guy...McElroy is cool too...but I'm not dying to spend a pick on a guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

... what you seem to be disputing is the exact opposite of what my BFF BF is arguing ... so let me break your post down ...

... my take is that beer is looking to spend more to have a younger more talented #2 qb that could take us to the playoffs and beyond if sanchez goes down for significant time ...

... again, you are arguing the exact opposite position ... you state the 1.3 million we are paying the #2 qb spot is too high and want to cut it down to a minimum salary with a late round draft pick in next months draft ...

... i'm not averse to the idea of drafting a prospect for the future with a late pick, but do not expect him to be anything more than a #3 qb for at least 2011 & 2012 ...

... in that case, for 2011 we are now sitting at 1.3 million invested in the #2 qb spot and 400k invested in the #3 qb spot ...

WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE SAYING HOWEVER IS YOU WANT THIS DRAFT PICK TO BE OUR #2 FOR 2011

... in that case you better hope nothing minor happens to sanchez either (it's a given, of course, nothing major as well ) ...

... THIS IS JUST GIBBERISH ...

... first off - what am i way off on? ...

... second off i never said anything about a developmental qb one way or the other before this post as a #3 ... i do not want one as our #2 for 2011 ...

... third not sure where you pulled out that i'm saying all late round qb's are going to be tom brady ... i'll stay polite for the kiddies and go with you pulled it out of your nose, rather than another body part ...

... my hope for drafting a late round qb would be that by year 3-4 he'd be able to step into the #2 role for us ... or give us some return as trade bait at that point ...

... so will i for a developmental #3 qb ... not for a #2 qb in 2011 ...

l_j_r
    what's with the douche-y large font and color? what a

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    what's with the douche-y large font and color? what a

... exemplifies the error of their ways ...

... thanks for your insightful input though mr. helper! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgrj_62-Y

l_j_r

All Pro
    that was weird

If the Jets do take a QB in this draft, he would have to be considered the #3 this year.

I like Tyrod for the 6th round because he can help out the team in different ways, not like your average 3rd QB who is virtually worthless and rotting away on the bench.