Thread: Laurence Maroney faces Marijuana Charge

Laurence Maroney faces Marijuana Charge

I guess the Pats knew what they were doing when they got rid of him.

:rolleyes:

[URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/01/laurence-maroney-faces-marijuana-charge/"]Laurence Maroney faces Marijuana Charge[/URL]

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 1, 2011, 6:03 AM EDT

In January, free agent running back Laurence Maroney was arrested on weapons charges in St. Louis. Now prosecutors say Maroney has a conceal carry permit, and no Missouri gun laws were violated. But that doesn’t mean Maroney is off the hook.

Instead, KMOX reports, the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s office has charged Maroney and four other men with one count each of possessing under 35 grams of marijuana in connection with the January incident.

The five men were arrested on January 17, after officers smelled marijuana coming from the two cars they were driving around Chaifetz Arena before a concert.

Maroney’s attorney, Scott Rosenblum, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Maroney plans to plead not guilty and that it was “unfortunate he was charged under the circumstances.”

The Patriots’ 2006 first-round draft pick, Maroney played the 2010 season for the Broncos and totaled just 36 carries for 74 yards. The Broncos aren’t expected to bring him back in 2011, and given his combination of poor on-field performance and off-field trouble, it’s hard to see why any other team would want to sign him either.

Banned
    The Pats didn't get rid of Maroney because he smokes pot. They got rid of him because he's a lousy football player.

Another gigantic Bellichick bust. When is it that BB stops getting credit for his drafting? I, personally think he SUCKS drafting. What has he added to make the Patsies the same competitive team they were back in 2003, 2004? The answer is NOTHING.

All of the players he has added since the SB have been nice players, but certainly NOT what was needed to maintain the level of play they were at in 2004. In other words, great players retired or got traded/cut and the backfill does not amount to what just left.

Now the Patsies are just a good regular season team with some OK players and a very good QB. That team was protected by Brady and his ability to control the flow of the game last season. The Jets were the only team that was legitimately better than the Patsies. So when the playoffs began, the Patsies were forced to play championship football and they folded up like a cheap suit. They faced a very good team in the Jets and they couldn't hack it. Brady was unable to control the game flow. The Patsy defense was forced to play good football, something they are incapable of.

So, at the end of the day, you have a HC who is still getting credit for things he did years ago (like ancient history) and doesn't deserve it. The Patsy team is a paper tiger. They'll play great football during the regular season. They win a lot of games, but when the playoffs begin you suddenly see the Patsies are no better than Marty Schottenheimer teams of the past. When Marty coached the Chiefs, they usually had the best record in the league. Then, when the playoffs began, they made a quick exit. That's what the Patsies are now.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3992133]Another gigantic Bellichick bust. When is it that BB stops getting credit for his drafting? I, personally think he SUCKS drafting. What has he added to make the Patsies the same competitive team they were back in 2003, 2004? The answer is NOTHING.

All of the players he has added since the SB have been nice players, but certainly NOT what was needed to maintain the level of play they were at in 2004. In other words, great players retired or got traded/cut and the backfill does not amount to what just left.

Now the Patsies are just a good regular season team with some OK players and a very good QB. That team was protected by Brady and his ability to control the flow of the game last season. The Jets were the only team that was legitimately better than the Patsies. So when the playoffs began, the Patsies were forced to play championship football and they folded up like a cheap suit. They faced a very good team in the Jets and they couldn't hack it. Brady was unable to control the game flow. The Patsy defense was forced to play good football, something they are incapable of.

So, at the end of the day, you have a HC who is still getting credit for things he did years ago (like ancient history) and doesn't deserve it. The Patsy team is a paper tiger. They'll play great football during the regular season. They win a lot of games, but when the playoffs begin you suddenly see the Patsies are no better than Marty Schottenheimer teams of the past. When Marty coached the Chiefs, they usually had the best record in the league. Then, when the playoffs began, they made a quick exit. That's what the Patsies are now.[/QUOTE]

I always that it was widely believed that he is awful at drafting. I mean, I guess if you consistently have a ton of draft picks, you're bound to hit on a few, but they seem to have been few and far between.

What's crazy to think is how much better they'd be with a solid run game and I don't mean Woodc0ck. :eek:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3992045]The Pats didn't get rid of Maroney because he smokes pot. They got rid of him because he's a lousy football player.[/QUOTE]

+1. Smoking weed before a concert is not exactly the most heinous of activities. Carrying the gun is a different story, but if he's licensed, there's nothing to see here.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3992045]The Pats didn't get rid of Maroney because he smokes pot. They got rid of him because he's a lousy football player.[/QUOTE]

I know, I'm playing with that part. ;)

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3992133]Another gigantic Bellichick bust. When is it that BB stops getting credit for his drafting? I, personally think he SUCKS drafting. What has he added to make the Patsies the same competitive team they were back in 2003, 2004? The answer is NOTHING.

So, at the end of the day, you have a HC who is still getting credit for things he did years ago (like ancient history) and doesn't deserve it. The Patsy team is a paper tiger. They'll play great football during the regular season. They win a lot of games, but when the playoffs begin you suddenly see the Patsies are no better than Marty Schottenheimer teams of the past. When Marty coached the Chiefs, they usually had the best record in the league. Then, when the playoffs began, they made a quick exit. That's what the Patsies are now.[/QUOTE]

Ugh this is the type of crap that makes this board unbearable sometimes. Did I miss something or did the Jets win the superbowl this year?

[QUOTE=BFfan;3992422]Ugh this is the type of crap that makes this board unbearable sometimes. Did I miss something or did the Jets win the superbowl this year?[/QUOTE]

Please don't pound your chest after your team was smacked around for the 2nd year in a row and has back to back home playoff losses as Brady gets yet another year older.

[QUOTE=BFfan;3992422]Ugh this is the type of crap that makes this board unbearable sometimes. Did I miss something or did the Jets win the superbowl this year?[/QUOTE]

You're free to leave and post somewhere else. This is the offseason. Should we talk about something the Patriots did almost a decade ago, or perhaps their most recent game - that's current, right? Let's talk about how awful they were in that game. Everyone - let's do that.

When Braylon got charged with a DUI, it was the most awful thing. We post something recent about an NFL player - representative of the type of player the player's union is negotiating for, and it's "crap". :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[IMG]http://rlv.zcache.com/18_1_property_of_choke_t_shirt-p23586343881606097433kn_152.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=John_0515;3992431]You're free to leave and post somewhere else. This is the offseason. Should we talk about something the Patriots did almost a decade ago, or perhaps their most recent game - that's current, right? Let's talk about how awful they were in that game. Everyone - let's do that.

When Braylon got charged with a DUI, it was the most awful thing. We post something recent about an NFL player - representative of the type of player the player's union is negotiating for, and it's "crap". :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm not even talking about the Maroney incident- he has been irrelevant since 2007. Give credit where credit is due- yes the Patriots haven't won since 2004 but they have also been the winningest and most consistent team in the league since them. There's a reason their personnel department is raided every year- they must be doing something right (as judged by people who know what they are doing).

[QUOTE=BFfan;3992441]I'm not even talking about the Maroney incident- he has been irrelevant since 2007. Give credit where credit is due- yes the Patriots haven't won since 2004 but they have also been the winningest and most consistent team in the league since them. There's a reason their personnel department is raided every year- they must be doing something right (as judged by people who know what they are doing).[/QUOTE]

1. This is a Jets website. Do you think there's unbias on the Pats website every time the Jets have beaten the Pats the last couple of years? Every time a Jets player gets in trouble, do you think anyone there gloats? The answer is YES, fyi.

2. What's New England's playoff record lately? The Chargers were one of the winningest teams for a few years. What was their playoff record then. As sad as it was, it's not as sad as the 0-3 flop the last couple of years.

3. Give credit to the Patriots for what? This article is about Maroney and how he f'd up.

4. Patriots got their asses kicked in the playoffs this past year. Just saying. ;)

Too bad at Maroney. I mean this charge is no big deal, I do not smoke pot, but I know plenty of people who do, and not once have i judged them, or considered them a criminal for smoking pot.

The thing about Maroney, is he had ability, and could have been a good player. He had some flashes where it looked like he would be breaking out at any time.

One thing most Pats fans forget, is that he was the Pats best offensive player in the playoffs for the 2007 SB run. (Well I guess Brady did throw a perfect game vs the jags in rd.2, but for both games Maroney was the most consistent) Look how good he played vs the jags and the chargers. I thought he would break out in 2008, than he got injured and the rest was history.

Its sad, because he never lived up to his potential, he could have been a good player, but now he is an after thought.

All League
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3992304][B]I always that it was widely believed that he is awful at drafting.[/B] I mean, I guess if you consistently have a ton of draft picks, you're bound to hit on a few, but they seem to have been few and far between.

What's crazy to think is how much better they'd be with a solid run game and I don't mean Woodc0ck. :eek:[/QUOTE]

While I wouldnt say Belichick is awful at drafting, he is definatly over rated by most of the main stream media in this department. It seems like everytime the Pats trade back and compile picks most "experts" act like he is some sort of genius, not looking at who he has selected and how often his selections have not panned out in the past 5+ years (Marnoey, Watson, Chad Jackson, David Thomas, Garrett Mills, Kareem Brown, Terrance Wheatly, Kevin O'Connell, Jonathan Wilhite, Darius Butler, etc. all drafted in the 1st 4 rounds).

To be fair though it looks like he did a pretty damn good job this past year. When he first selected McCourty there were many doubters (including majority of Pats fans and media) but that turned out to be on hell of a pick so far and would of won DROY if not for Sue. Both Gronkowski and Hernandez look like very good weapons at the TE position, Jermaine Cunningham and Brandon Spikes both contributed at OLD and ILB respectivley and Taylor Price could very well be a solid weapon at WR once healthy.

Belichick has definatley struggled and made alot of bad picks the past 5+ years, but it does look like he has rebounded nicely with his last draft class and has started to replenish his squad with solid, young talent.