Thread: 27 days out: Jets draft strategy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

27 days out: Jets draft strategy

go OLB: watch Ryan Kerrigan, Justin Houston, Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith go early

hope that Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers or Jabaal Sheard fall

take best available play making OLB who can play early

that allows Tanny to possibly cut Bryan Thomas, maybe bring back an Ellis/Jenks

__ or ___

go DE:

JJ Watt and Cam Jordan go early.

hope that Cameron Heyward, Muhammad Wilkerson, Allen Bailey is the pick, that replaces Ellis keep Bryan Thomas (maybe) and find OLB later

We nitpick at each other and all have favorites but would ultimately be happy with best avail DE or OLB, whoever the Jets scouts determine that to be.

at various stages we've seen mocks with all of these six names in top thirty.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    We nitpick at each other and all have favorites but would ultimately be happy with best avail DE or OLB, whoever the Jets scouts determine that to be.
    I think this pretty much rings true for most people on here, including myself.

The Jets just need to come away with a high end player for the front 7, preferably someone who could help put pressure on the QB, and that can be accomplished in a variety of ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I do think there are going to be some surprises though and some drama at around our pick. I'm going to make a bold prediction right now (and probably look stupid). I think we either trade our 1st rounder from next year or we trade for an extra 1st rounder next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the jets trade down, to me a logical team is SD and a even trade would be the jets giving up 30 and 94 and getting 50, 61, and 82 or 88.

This will give them a chance to have a draft of Jenkins, Moch/Shearad with the 2nd rd pcks, Then maybe a Safety/WR with the 3rd.

SD will get one of the top 5 OTs or Maybe Baldwin or Smith. IMO none of these three will be there at 50
    Last edited by patman; 04-02-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I agree. I do think there are going to be some surprises though and some drama at around our pick. I'm going to make a bold prediction right now (and probably look stupid). I think we either trade our 1st rounder from next year or we trade for an extra 1st rounder next year.
    the NFL recently sent a memo saying essentially "trade future picks at your own risk" that is to say if there is no 2012 draft and the Jets trade that pick, the other team gets screwed. Another reason why trading becomes difficult.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the NFL recently sent a memo saying essentially "trade future picks at your own risk" that is to say if there is no 2012 draft and the Jets trade that pick, the other team gets screwed. Another reason why trading becomes difficult.
    Ah yeah forgot about that, in that case if the cba is not in place by then my 'gutsy' declaration loosk evenmore gutsy. lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, all you do is put a stipulation in saying no draft you get a pick of some number of players from the other team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No, all you do is put a stipulation in saying no draft you get a pick of some number of players from the other team.
    if there's no CBA there's no player trade either. So that might be of dubious legality as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I think this pretty much rings true for most people on here, including myself.

The Jets just need to come away with a high end player for the front 7, preferably someone who could help put pressure on the QB, and that can be accomplished in a variety of ways.
    Yep, Tanny and Rexy could tinker with the variables and options but overall we need to up the ante on slamming qb's. Good thing we got a number of workable options and quality prospects to target

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if there's no CBA there's no player trade either. So that might be of dubious legality as well.
    I think teams will caveat it as "X pick in the next NFL draft" - that way they're covered if there isn't one next year.

Or X if 2012, Y if 2013 etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yep, Tanny and Rexy could tinker with the variables and options but overall we need to up the ante on slamming qb's. Good thing we got a number of workable options and quality prospects to target
    we must get a top quality person for our front 7. I think possibly we can get Wilkerson and then trade up and take Reed in rd 2. Our front 7 would then be very well addressed. I also exoect a safety to be drafted or a CB. In later rounds I see an OG.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Players contracts IMO will be structured to allow this. Without a CBA there will be no restrictions on what a contract can specify. I don't see any problems with that passing muster before a judge.

Right now in their contracts that they signed with the teams the language gives the team the right to trade them. Existing contracts are still valid, Because they decertified that does not affect the players individual contracts with the clubs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    P
    Right now in their contracts that they signed with the teams the language gives the team the right to trade them. Existing contracts are still valid, Because they decertified that does not affect the players individual contracts with the clubs.
    its not just the decertify it's the CBA expire. without the CBA there's no player for picks trades. only pick for picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best pass-rushing DE available...