Thread: A tribute to Brad Baxter

All League

A tribute to Brad Baxter

Brad was a great bowling ball full back. I feel that he was the best full back we have had in the past 20 years. Good luck finding anything on youtube.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsrush View Post
    Brad was a great bowling ball full back. I feel that he was the best full back we have had in the past 20 years. Good luck finding anything on youtube.
    Brad was a heck of a blocker, but at 6'1", 233 lbs - he was hardly a bowling ball. Robert Newhouse and Don Nottingham were "bowling balls." The Jets fullback who most fit this mold was probably Tony Paige at 5'10" and 225 lbs.

When the Jets got Fred Baxter to go along with Brad Baxter, that made me happy. I felt like they were brothers and that they truly liked playing with each other. I was like 8. carry on.

All League
    From my memory he just seemed like a real powerful battering ram. You could always count on Brad pushing the pile. Never realized he was that tall. Then again I was only 63 at the time.

From my memory he just seemed like a real powerful battering ram. You could always count on Brad pushing the pile. Never realized he was that tall. Then again I was only 63 at the time.
    I always had mixed feelings about Brad Baxter. He was a really good player on some very ugly JET tams lead by Bruce Coslet. Bruce Coslet, IMHO, was a HUGE factor in the lack of success that Blair THomas had with the JETS. Giving the ball to Brad Baxter EVERY time the JETS were on the one yardline didnt help Blair Thomas' confidence................

Overall, I liked Brad Baxter, thought he was a real good player. It was the Bruce Coslet run JETS that I didnt like at the time........

A friend of mine who knew Brad Baxter got me a signed Jets shirt and 3 signed mini pennants from him. He did play on some of the worst Jets teams ever but he was a standout on those teams. He scored 11 TD's in 1991.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 04-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Since I became a fan, Al Toon, Freeman McNeil, James Hasty, Mickey Shuler, and Brad Baxter are all the Jets I can think of in the pre-Parcells years that would have been starters on every successful Jet team since Parcells.

And a maybe goes out to Kyle Clifton, Bobby Houston, and a focused Johnny Mitchell (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Since I became a fan, Al Toon, Freeman McNeil, James Hasty, Mickey Shuler, and Brad Baxter are all the Jets I can think of in the pre-Parcells years that would have been starters on every successful Jet team since Parcells.

And a maybe goes out to Kyle Clifton, Bobby Houston, and a focused Johnny Mitchell (lol)
    Johnny Mitchell would have been a Pro Bowl Tight End if he would have kept his head on straight.

Rookie
    Paige was better!
    look 4:36 in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvi_jcy9A1I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Brad Baxter was an automatic TD from around the 3 year line as I recall. Tough guy.

Veteran

Arrow

I seem to remember Baxter being used at tailback alot. That is when he had his big 11 TD year if im not wrong. I think his nickname was "smooth". I loved to watch that guy run. He was alot like Shonn Green with less speed.
    Last edited by VERMONT JET; 04-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Baxter was a fb when they were all around players and not just a blocking back that gets an occasional pass or run.

I don't know why offensive coordinators have allowed the position to deteriorate to what it is now. I remember when there used to be talk of a balanced running attack with the likes of Snell and Boozer or Csonka and Kick.

I once argued that with Terry Bradway when the Jets had Jordan and Martin and I asked him why couldn't they ever play at the same time. I was surprised when he actually agreed with me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Baxter was a fb when they were all around players and not just a blocking back that gets an occasional pass or run.

I don't know why offensive coordinators have allowed the position to deteriorate to what it is now. I remember when there used to be talk of a balanced running attack with the likes of Snell and Boozer or Csonka and Kick.

I once argued that with Terry Bradway when the Jets had Jordan and Martin and I asked him why couldn't they ever play at the same time. I was surprised when he actually agreed with me.
    You can't compile if you take carries away from the compiler.. The Jets historically ran 2 backs like you said with Snell and Boozer,Boozer and Riggens,Freeman and Hector etc.. Jordan avg 4 carries a game in his 4 years with the Jets.. BTW you forgot Mercury Morris that was part of the Fins 3 headed running game back in the 70's.. Jim Brown was a FB and the Browns drafted Ernie Davis to team up with Brown in their backfield.. Sadly Davis died of Leukemia before that could happen..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You can't compile if you take carries away from the compiler.. The Jets historically ran 2 backs like you said with Snell and Boozer,Boozer and Riggens,Freeman and Hector etc.. Jordan avg 4 carries a game in his 4 years with the Jets.. BTW you forgot Mercury Morris that was part of the Fins 3 headed running game back in the 70's.. Jim Brown was a FB and the Browns drafted Ernie Davis to team up with Brown in their backfield.. Sadly Davis died of Leukemia before that could happen..
    Very true. The original AFL teams all used 2 prong running attacks with the FB getting just as many if not more carries then the HB's. The AFL had some great FB's like Cookie Gilchrist, Billy Joe, Matt Snell, Hewritt Dixon, Carlie Tolar (now he was a bowling ball).. Savage help me out and name some more.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 04-04-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Very true. The original AFL teams all used 2 prong running attacks with the FB getting just as many if not more carries then the HB's. The AFL had some great FB's like Cookie Gilchrist, Billy Joe, Matt Snell, Hewritt Dixon, Carlie Tolar (no he was a bowling ball).. Savage help me out and name some more.
    Earl Campbell was a FB.. Jim Taylor of the Pack.. Too long ago I would have to look it up for a name to click..

I hope nothing happen to him..is he OK...I always liked his play..

BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    I seem to remember Baxter being used at tailback alot. That is when he had his big 11 TD year if im not wrong. I think his nickname was "smooth". I loved to watch that guy run. He was alot like Shonn Green with less speed.
    Brad would be the best back on this team. Baxter >>>> Greene

Baxter in the snow