Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 year draft analysis

Jets Insider VIP

5 year draft analysis

Pretty good read

[url]http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936[/url]

All Pro
    Thanks for posting. Shows how important it is to draft well.

Also shows that Tanny's strategy of quality over quantity has worked well as we have as many starters drafted as the other teams at the top despite having less picks. AFCG 2 years in a row as a result.
    Last edited by David Harris; 04-04-2011 at 07:11 PM.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;3993840]Pretty good read

[url]http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936[/url][/QUOTE]

Nice article. Agree with the post above. Thanks for sharing

interesting list. the jets have done pretty well in the draft. like the little girl with the curl, when they're good (revis) they're very good and when they're bad (gholston).... now if it were mae west they'd be great.

darrelle revis could just be replaced by dwight lowery & kyle wilson platooning...no big loss :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;3993942]darrelle revis could just be replaced by dwight lowery & kyle wilson platooning...no big loss :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

i dont remember who said it last year, but the thought was " we dont need revis, wilson and cromartie as a tandem will be better than revis and sheppard'', and the crazy part was a lot of people agreed with this, when in reality cromartie and wilson combined arent half of revis himself.

[QUOTE=Woody56;3993999]i dont remember who said it last year, but the thought was " we dont need revis, wilson and cromartie as a tandem will be better than revis and sheppard'', and the crazy part was a lot of people agreed with this, when in reality cromartie and wilson combined arent half of revis himself.[/QUOTE]

their defense will be they didnt want him @ too high a cost but even entertaining the notion of moving revis is asking yourself to get fired if you're a gm.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3993940]interesting list. the jets have done pretty well in the draft. like the little girl with the curl, when they're good (revis) they're very good and when they're bad (gholston).... now if it were mae west they'd be great.[/QUOTE]

Gholston was a Disappointment ..but not a surprise failure ...you can not get them all right...

All League
    [QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;3994045]their defense will be they didnt want him @ too high a cost but [B]even entertaining the notion of moving revis is asking yourself to get fired if you're a gm[/B].[/QUOTE]

Although I agree w/the statement, it has been done before.

The equivalent of Revis WAS traded back in 2004 WITH a 2nd round pick in exchange for Clinton Portis by a HOF member of the Redskins.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-04-2011 at 11:46 PM.

All Pro
    Interesting to see the gulf between the Jets / Patsies at the top of the list and the Dolphins / Bills way down the bottom. :D

All League
    Gholston was easily the worst selection, as he failed to record a sack in three full seasons and was released in March.

That is a staggering stat..

[QUOTE=Gas2No99;3994054]Although I agree w/the statement, it has been done before.

The equivalent of Revis WAS traded back in 2004 WITH a 2nd round pick in exchange for Clinton Portis by a HOF member of the Redskins.[/QUOTE]

a terrible trade for the redskins..you trade a Hall of Famer for a RB..idc how good a RB is a CB will always be rated higher in my book...for the simple reason that they are so hard to replace.

[QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;3994300]a terrible trade for the redskins..you trade a Hall of Famer for a RB..idc how good a RB is a CB will always be rated higher in my book...for the simple reason that they are so hard to replace.[/QUOTE]

This is true. I don't know if I'd trade Revis for Barry Sanders in his prime. You can replace a 1,500-yard back with a 1,000-yard back and improved OL play. Or a pass-first offense.

You can only replace a HOF CB with an extraordinary pass rush, and even then, a good team can counter that with a short passing game or a quick-release QB like Manning or Brady.

Depends on the situation (the $$ as well), but if you have a marquee corner, there's really no individual player - other than a QB - that can account for the impact a CB can have on a defense.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;3994440]This is true. I don't know if I'd trade Revis for Barry Sanders in his prime. You can replace a 1,500-yard back with a 1,000-yard back and improved OL play. Or a pass-first offense.

You can only replace a HOF CB with an extraordinary pass rush, and even then, a good team can counter that with a short passing game or a quick-release QB like Manning or Brady.

Depends on the situation (the $$ as well), but if you have a marquee corner, there's really no individual player - other than a QB - that can account for the impact a CB can have on a defense.[/QUOTE]

I'd think a Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, or Klecko might have more of an impact simply because there is no way to avoid dealing with them. Revis takes away the best receiver but it is at the end of the day one player. Those three demanded doubles and triples, basically a 1 for 2 or 3 deal on every snap.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TheMo;3994559]I'd think a Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, or Klecko might have more of an impact simply because there is no way to avoid dealing with them. Revis takes away the best receiver but it is at the end of the day one player. Those three demanded doubles and triples, basically a 1 for 2 or 3 deal on every snap.[/QUOTE]

Right on the money Mo.. When Jenkins was healthy look how he collapsed the pocket being double teamed..:yes:

[QUOTE=Savage69;3994573]Right on the money Mo.. When Jenkins was healthy look how he collapsed the pocket being double teamed..:yes:[/QUOTE]

On cue someone is going to point out that he doesn't get on the field, but that's not really the point. Jenkins healthy > Revis healthy. There is no avoiding or ignoring a giant DT barreling towards your QB up the middle.

[QUOTE=TheMo;3994581]On cue someone is going to point out that he doesn't get on the field, but that's not really the point. Jenkins healthy > Revis healthy. There is no avoiding or ignoring a giant DT barreling towards your QB up the middle.[/QUOTE]

Good points. There are exceptions to every rule, and it always depends on a team's situation, but would you trade Revis for (healthy) Jenkins? There aren't many Reggie's and LT's around these days - is there a defensive player in the league right now that you would trade Revis for?

While the players you mentioned certainly demand double-teams from opposing offenses, most CBs aren't skilled enough to thrive without safety help. Revis doesn't need that much, so while he doesn't command a double, he does free up a teammate.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;3994613]Good points. There are exceptions to every rule, and it always depends on a team's situation, but would you trade Revis for (healthy) Jenkins? There aren't many Reggie's and LT's around these days - is there a defensive player in the league right now that you would trade Revis for?

While the players you mentioned certainly demand double-teams from opposing offenses, most CBs aren't skilled enough to thrive without safety help. Revis doesn't need that much, so while he doesn't command a double, he does free up a teammate.[/QUOTE]

excellent point to other poster (that other guy :cool:) about Jenkins. Jenkins is no doubt a beast and was incredibly disruptive in his prime and in 2008 and the first half of 2009 for the Jets and it's hard to argue the value of a STUD DT.

Even still, my preference would goto Revis in his prime. Easily the best defensive player in the league at the moment.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;3994613]Good points. There are exceptions to every rule, and it always depends on a team's situation, but would you trade Revis for (healthy) Jenkins? There aren't many Reggie's and LT's around these days - is there a defensive player in the league right now that you would trade Revis for?

While the players you mentioned certainly demand double-teams from opposing offenses, most CBs aren't skilled enough to thrive without safety help. Revis doesn't need that much, so while he doesn't command a double, he does free up a teammate.[/QUOTE]

True. To be clear there are not many players that I'd really equate to Revis or be willing to give him up for. I mean I pulled out three HOF players and an current elite one (when healthy) to create a counterpoint. I'd probably give up Revis for Ware, possibly Hali (not 100% since he has only done it one season, could be a one year wonder).The thing with players like Ware and company is that they take the double/triple and even then there is a chance they make a play or at lease pressure the QB. So in a sense they still free up the safety because the corner might only have to hold up the receiver for 3 seconds tops before the QB will have to start moving around.

Undrafted Free Agent
    This report seems to confirm the practice of bundling lower picks to trade up, or trading picks for veterans.

Jets had only 27 picks during the 5 years studied, fewer than any other team during that period.

And even with collosal bust Gholston and incomplete Sanchez grades, still rank up there at 4.