Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Tons of trades at the end of rnd #1? Yay or Nay

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,243

    Tons of trades at the end of rnd #1? Yay or Nay

    (Rotoworld) NFL Network's Albert Breer "keeps hearing -- from everyone" that a "ton" of trades will be made on April 28 by teams looking to acquire quarterbacks late in the first round.
    Analysis: The feeling around the NFL is that Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert will go early, and all of the quarterback-needy teams will be looking to pounce after the first half of round one. "Commence game of leapfrog," writes Breer. Quarterbacks potentially worth trading back into round one for include Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Jake Locker, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Mallett.
    So every year we talk about wanting to move down (well a few years we've talked about it) and seem to have a propensity to move up rather than down..

    Question...

    So we're offered the option of moving up 10 or something spots in the second plus a 3rd rnd pick... do you take?? ...when guys like Ayers, Ballard, Wilkerson, Reed, Taylor etc are there but probably gone when we pick again?

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,206
    That is GREAT news.

    If there is a legitimate shot that 4-5 QBS will be selected in the 20-32 range of the 1st round that = SOLID FRONT-7 prospects slipping down.

    I'd love for the Jets to pull off a trade OPPOSITE of what we did in 2008 to acquire Dustin Keller.

    In '08, GB traded back 6 spots from #30 (1st Round) to #36 (2nd Round, selected WR Jordy Nelson) and picked up our 4th Rounder #113 for moving back only 6 spots!!! (Jets Recouped #113 in another trade w/GB for #102 & #162 5thRnd in which GB selected DE Jeremy Thompson from Wake Forest)

    Point is, GB traded back 6 spots from #30 to #36 and got a 4th rounder out of it - Tanny's specialty round

    If this holds true that teams get desperate for a late 1st round QB, Jets can REALLY capitalize to acquire more picks in a draft where solid front 7 prospects can slide down to us.

  3. #3
    Dont think we will see trades at all unless the CBA is signed. Right now players can not be traded and future pick look that way as well. The Pats have the best shot at trading up with 6 picks in the top 3 rounds. Other then that there is a lot less on the table then we have seen in the past.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Dont think we will see trades at all unless the CBA is signed. Right now players can not be traded and future pick look that way as well. The Pats have the best shot at trading up with 6 picks in the top 3 rounds. Other then that there is a lot less on the table then we have seen in the past.
    WTF?!?!? Who's talking about trading players?

    Guy, your posts on the Draft Forum have CONSISTENTLY made NO SENSE at all and indicate you don't comprehend the context of the threads 80% of the time in your replies.

    Are you doing this on purpose to annoy others?!?!

    We're TALKING ABOUT TRADING PICKS - NOT PLAYERS!!!!!

    Get WITH IT, or GET OUT! You don't think BY NOW EVERYONE who reads this Draft Forum is WELL AWARE that players can't be traded for picks for the time being?!?!
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-04-2011 at 06:59 PM.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,756
    There are many notable exceptions but 4th rounders are usually not impact players. If we're trading back I want their 2nd and 3rd round picks, fill some more holes in the front 7 and/or safety.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    WTF?!?!? Who's talking about trading players?

    Guy, your posts on the Draft Forum have CONSISTENTLY made NO SENSE at all and indicate you don't comprehend the context of the threads 80% of the time in your replies.

    Are you doing this on purpose to annoy others?!?!

    We're TALKING ABOUT TRADING PICKS - NOT PLAYERS!!!!!

    Get WITH IT, or GET OUT! You don't think BY NOW EVERYONE who reads this Draft Forum is WELL AWARE that players can't be traded for picks for the time being?!?!
    I think its been noted that a draft next year may not happen. Lots of teams trade next years picks to move up and this year it will be done at the teams own risk. I personally think whatever future CBA will have a draft next year, however, there are a lot of teams who may be more hesitant to accept next years picks with this uncertainty.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    I think its been noted that a draft next year may not happen. Lots of teams trade next years picks to move up and this year it will be done at the teams own risk. I personally think whatever future CBA will have a draft next year, however, there are a lot of teams who may be more hesitant to accept next years picks with this uncertainty.


    Where do I state ANYTHING about trading FUTURE picks in next year's draft?!?!

    In the ONE EXAMPLE I use, it's about trading picks in the SAME draft; where do I say anything about trading FUTURE picks in the 2012 draft?!?!?!

    It must be friggin' RET@RDs-ville in here today or something?!!?!?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    WTF?!?!? Who's talking about trading players?

    Guy, your posts on the Draft Forum have CONSISTENTLY made NO SENSE at all and indicate you don't comprehend the context of the threads 80% of the time in your replies.

    Are you doing this on purpose to annoy others?!?!

    We're TALKING ABOUT TRADING PICKS - NOT PLAYERS!!!!!

    Get WITH IT, or GET OUT! You don't think BY NOW EVERYONE who reads this Draft Forum is WELL AWARE that players can't be traded for picks for the time being?!?!
    Many draft trades include players. Take the Sanchez trade for example. We gave up what 3-4 players to make it viable. Draft day trades are usually more then just draft picks.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Many draft trades include players. Take the Sanchez trade for example. We gave up what 3-4 players to make it viable. Draft day trades are usually more then just draft picks.
    His point which is correct , you can't trade players right now until a new Cba is ironed out. You can only trade draft picks this year . Not players.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post


    Where do I state ANYTHING about trading FUTURE picks in next year's draft?!?!

    In the ONE EXAMPLE I use, it's about trading picks in the SAME draft; where do I say anything about trading FUTURE picks in the 2012 draft?!?!?!

    It must be friggin' RET@RDs-ville in here today or something?!!?!?
    You don't say it, but if it is just picks this year, many teams may not have the ammo to move up or teams may have to accept lesser value. Both may cause less trades to happen.

  11. #11
    As I have been working on my latest mock I had the Jets trade down. There is potential for quite a few trades in the 1st round if things fall in a certain way.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    You don't say it, but if it is just picks this year, many teams may not have the ammo to move up or teams may have to accept lesser value. Both may cause less trades to happen.
    NO SH!T - and your statement would be remotely relevant IF we were discussing trades involving players and/or future draft picks - WHICH WE ARE NOT.

    WHICH MAKES YOUR POINT MOOT & COMPLETELY USELESS.

    Please refrain from posting in this thread since all your input is based on ASSumptions which have NOTHING to do w/the discussion.

    I'm done w/you J@ck@$$e$

    ********

    I think Tanny has to take the trade down if it's there and other teams are DESPERATE for a QB that's available at #30.

    The question is, what's the MOST we can squeeze out of another team?

    Trading down 10+ spots should yield us a 3rd, but my question would be would you rather trade for a quality early 3rd & a 7th rounder (in addition to swapping X team's 2nd rounder, a given considering our 1st rounder) or would you rather take a bundle package similar to something like two late 3rds and an extra 5th-netting more picks ala Parcells style back in '97?

    Obviously it's hard to speculate this early, but is this a draft where you'd rather have more picks for depth or key in on certain players early and call it a day?
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    As I have been working on my latest mock I had the Jets trade down. There is potential for quite a few trades in the 1st round if things fall in a certain way.
    Pittsburgh is 31 and in desperate need of offensive line help. If Pouncy (OG/C) or one of the 5 premier Offensive Tackle are on the board, the Jets have an excellent chance to trade down. The second scenario is a team looking for a QB

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    So every year we talk about wanting to move down (well a few years we've talked about it) and seem to have a propensity to move up rather than down..

    Question...

    So we're offered the option of moving up 10 or something spots in the second plus a 3rd rnd pick... do you take?? ...when guys like Ayers, Ballard, Wilkerson, Reed, Taylor etc are there but probably gone when we pick again?
    Since we have a low #1 and do not have a #2...I hope we can trade down and get more picks...do not think we will lose much valve..

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Lol, perfect use of that expression

    Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999 View Post
    Since we have a low #1 and do not have a #2...I hope we can trade down and get more picks...do not think we will lose much valve..
    That would be ideal but given there's teams like TEN, SF, MIN, CIN, ARZ, WSH, CAR (I'm shooting them all out here) that could use a QB BUT are close enough to the top of the round, i don't see us collecting an ENTIRE 2nd rnd pick, but more likely Moving up in the 2nd an collecting a 3rd or 4th.

    SEA could present an interesting collect a 2nd rounder, but i think that would mean picking too late to count on an impact pass rusher (our biggest need IMO)

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    NO SH!T - and your statement would be remotely relevant IF we were discussing trades involving players and/or future draft picks - WHICH WE ARE NOT.

    WHICH MAKES YOUR POINT MOOT & COMPLETELY USELESS.

    Please refrain from posting in this thread since all your input is based on ASSumptions which have NOTHING to do w/the discussion.

    I'm done w/you J@ck@$$e$

    ********

    I think Tanny has to take the trade down if it's there and other teams are DESPERATE for a QB that's available at #30.

    The question is, what's the MOST we can squeeze out of another team?

    Trading down 10+ spots should yield us a 3rd, but my question would be would you rather trade for a quality early 3rd & a 7th rounder (in addition to swapping X team's 2nd rounder, a given considering our 1st rounder) or would you rather take a bundle package similar to something like two late 3rds and an extra 5th-netting more picks ala Parcells style back in '97?

    Obviously it's hard to speculate this early, but is this a draft where you'd rather have more picks for depth or key in on certain players early and call it a day?
    Settle down, Beavis. He didn't even quote you.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Lol, perfect use of that expression



    That would be ideal but given there's teams like TEN, SF, MIN, CIN, ARZ, WSH, CAR (I'm shooting them all out here) that could use a QB BUT are close enough to the top of the round, i don't see us collecting an ENTIRE 2nd rnd pick, but more likely Moving up in the 2nd an collecting a 3rd or 4th.

    SEA could present an interesting collect a 2nd rounder, but i think that would mean picking too late to count on an impact pass rusher (our biggest need IMO)
    it's a question that i imagine tanny and rex are debating every day. i'm guessing the jets will have offers for the pick. whether they trade back into the 2nd round will probably depend on who falls to them and how highly they rate them. it makes sense that if some desirable pass rushers are there at 30 the jets will stay put. they may be more inclined to trade back if some quality dts fall, as they can probably get one in the early to mid 2nd anyway.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Settle down, Beavis. He didn't even quote you.
    Actually, Butt-Head he was DIRECTLY replying to my post. It's rather frustrating when people COMPLETELY misconstrue a discussion b/c they don't even bother to read the thread accordingly & chronologically. All the moreso when it's the same poster who CONSISTENTLY does this.

    You don't like my replies to them, then don't read them & "butt" out. Oh wait, you're a Mod, no? then please mind your own business since my previous posts are not meant for such sensitive members such as yourself

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it's a question that i imagine tanny and rex are debating every day. i'm guessing the jets will have offers for the pick. whether they trade back into the 2nd round will probably depend on who falls to them and how highly they rate them. it makes sense that if some desirable pass rushers are there at 30 the jets will stay put. they may be more inclined to trade back if some quality dts fall, as they can probably get one in the early to mid 2nd anyway.
    It seems that a scenario similar to last year when we were sitting at #29 and there was a run on CBs (4 in a 15 pick span & the most drafted position @ 33 total) and a HIGHLY regarded Kyle Wilson was still there. Now, the Jets passed on DEs such as Hughes, Koa Misi, Carlos Dunlap, and injured Sergio Kindle. In hindsight, I think some Jets fans would rather have taken Dunlap or Misi than the rookie wash that Wilson was in 2010 (who, I think WILL become a very good CB in a few years) but we needed to address our secondary to beat the "Indys" of the NFL.

    Do they stand pat and address a need such as DL if there's an apparent shortage/drop-off after the mid-3rd round or just trade down -acquire more picks and accrue as many 3-4 prospects that Rex can hopefully "coach-up" ala Pittsburgh Steelers & Parcells' MO ?
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Actually, Butt-Head he was DIRECTLY replying to my post. It's rather frustrating when people COMPLETELY misconstrue a discussion b/c they don't even bother to read the thread accordingly & chronologically. All the moreso when it's the same poster who CONSISTENTLY does this.

    You don't like my replies to them, then don't read them & "butt" out. Oh wait, you're a Mod, no? then please mind your own business since my previous posts are not meant for such sensitive members such as yourself
    I'm hardly sensitive - you just seem to have some anger issues, that's all. You should have a glass of warm milk. Or try yoga.

    Second, his point was the 3rd post in the thread which was addressing something similar to yours, but somewhat different. The OP said we will see lots of trades, his post says we won't on account of the CBA and the uncertainty of next year's draft as well as the inability to trade players. You may disagree with him, but he wasn't really addressing your post. If he said "we won't see many trades" instead of "any" would you still have flipped your lid?

    And lastly, I happen to agree with you, prior to your outburst. Jets are in a prime position to trade back (for picks in this years draft only) on account of people wanting to trade back into the first to grab a QB.

    Peace, brother.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us