Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tons of trades at the end of rnd #1? Yay or Nay

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    It seems that a scenario similar to last year when we were sitting at #29 and there was a run on CBs (4 in a 15 pick span & the most drafted position @ 33 total) and a HIGHLY regarded Kyle Wilson was still there. Now, the Jets passed on DEs such as Hughes, Koa Misi, Carlos Dunlap, and injured Sergio Kindle. In hindsight, I think some Jets fans would rather have taken Dunlap or Misi than the rookie wash that Wilson was in 2010 (who, I think WILL become a very good CB in a few years) but we needed to address our secondary to beat the "Indys" of the NFL.

Do they stand pat and address a need such as DL if there's an apparent shortage/drop-off after the mid-3rd round or just trade down -acquire more picks and accrue as many 3-4 prospects that Rex can hopefully "coach-up" ala Pittsburgh Steelers & Parcells' MO ?
    and as you noted, since the jets passed on a DE last year in late round 1, and the pass rush was still weak, i think it's more likely that if someone they like drops to them, they won't risk losing him just to get an extra 3rd round pick.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm hardly sensitive - you just seem to have some anger issues, that's all. You should have a glass of warm milk. Or try yoga.

Second, his point was the 3rd post in the thread which was addressing something similar to yours, but somewhat different. The OP said we will see lots of trades, his post says we won't on account of the CBA and the uncertainty of next year's draft as well as the inability to trade players. You may disagree with him, but he wasn't really addressing your post. If he said "we won't see many trades" instead of "any" would you still have flipped your lid?

And lastly, I happen to agree with you, prior to your outburst. Jets are in a prime position to trade back (for picks in this years draft only) on account of people wanting to trade back into the first to grab a QB.

Peace, brother.
    I have no qualms w/you but I'll crack back at ya if you refer to me as a demeaning adolescent cartoon character. And YES, I do have anger issues with a fair number of CERTAIN posters on this site who constantly derail a conversation with posts that have nothing to do with the subject matter, let alone the "beating of a dead-horse" fact about current trades involving players & future picks. the 3rd post by "Dreamers" states : "Dont think we will see trades at all unless the CBA is signed. Right now players can not be traded and future pick look that way as well." THat is INCORRECT. You can still trade current draft picks and THAT's what the conversation is about, whether to capitalize on the opportunity if it's presented.

BTW, what the HELL is the internet for if you can't rant & rave in a forum post?!?! It's not like we're debating in person and my face is red and I'm jumping up and down as I speak Unless you're one of those people who take CAPS-LOCK and BOLD type LITERALLY as ACTUAL feelings of the person, you got to get back in touch w/reality. Posting a venting rant out of frustration due to incompetants is how one stays sane in the REAL world. I'm actually quite the mellow fellow if you were ever fortunate enough to meet me.

BTW, I do enjoy a glass of warm milk in the evening prior to bed. Not a fan of Yoga so much but I do have other means to relax when need be

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I have no qualms w/you but I'll crack back at ya if you refer to me as a demeaning adolescent cartoon character. And YES, I do have anger issues with a fair number of CERTAIN posters on this site who constantly derail a conversation with posts that have nothing to do with the subject matter, let alone the "beating of a dead-horse" fact about current trades involving players & future picks. the 3rd post by "Dreamers" states : "Dont think we will see trades at all unless the CBA is signed. Right now players can not be traded and future pick look that way as well." THat is INCORRECT. You can still trade current draft picks and THAT's what the conversation is about, whether to capitalize on the opportunity if it's presented.

BTW, what the HELL is the internet for if you can't rant & rave in a forum post?!?! It's not like we're debating in person and my face is red and I'm jumping up and down as I speak Unless you're one of those people who take CAPS-LOCK and BOLD type LITERALLY as ACTUAL feelings of the person, you got to get back in touch w/reality. Posting a venting rant out of frustration due to incompetants is how one stays sane in the REAL world. I'm actually quite the mellow fellow if you were ever fortunate enough to meet me.

BTW, I do enjoy a glass of warm milk in the evening prior to bed. Not a fan of Yoga so much but I do have other means to relax when need be
    Fair enough. If we ever get together before a Jet game, the milk is on me.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    whether they trade back into the 2nd round will probably depend on who falls to them and how highly they rate them. it makes sense that if some desirable pass rushers are there at 30 the jets will stay put. they may be more inclined to trade back if some quality dts fall, as they can probably get one in the early to mid 2nd anyway.
    I think thats question we'll be asking (and the question i started thread for)

I want to know if you're willing to pass on some talent. I listed a few in the OP

Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Pittsburgh is 31 and in desperate need of offensive line help. If Pouncy (OG/C) or one of the 5 premier Offensive Tackle are on the board, the Jets have an excellent chance to trade down. The second scenario is a team looking for a QB
    Unfortunately for us,Pittsburgh never panics on draft day.They usually stay put,and consistently do well.Besides,if your 1st scenario takes place,why wouldn't we take one of those players? Last time I looked,we couldn't score from two yards out in four tries in a pretty big spot. I think your 2nd scenario would be our best shot,because those teams probably have more to offer in terms of better picks,and teams desperate for a QB probably will give up more.

So what your saying is you have anger issues. Dont contribute to threads if your going to take a civil if mildly misinformed comment and go ape**** on it unprovoked.

On the actual purpose of the thread, I would not imagine that the frequency of trades will really be any higher or lower than other years. The circumstances that would be required to eliminate the 2012 draft would so change the landscape of football as to render any current plans obsolete. As it concerns the Jets specifically, we have every reason to believe that the Jets have the tiebreaker when it comes to getting FAs because of the coach. I would hope/expect Tanny to either stand pat or to continue his aggressive tradeup strategy and rely on FAs to fill depth holes.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    . I would hope/expect Tanny to either stand pat or to continue his aggressive tradeup strategy and rely on FAs to fill depth holes.
    We don't have the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    We don't have the ammo.
    Perhaps not in the first, but I wouldnt be shocked to see NYJ trade, say, our 3rd and next years second to get a stake in the middle of the 2nd round.

All Pro
    Perhaps not in the first, but I wouldnt be shocked to see NYJ trade, say, our 3rd and next years second to get a stake in the middle of the 2nd round.
    Ya, i feel ya on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Unfortunately for us,Pittsburgh never panics on draft day.They usually stay put,and consistently do well.Besides,if your 1st scenario takes place,why wouldn't we take one of those players? Last time I looked,we couldn't score from two yards out in four tries in a pretty big spot. I think your 2nd scenario would be our best shot,because those teams probably have more to offer in terms of better picks,and teams desperate for a QB probably will give up more.
    I agree the Steelers stay put, a team looking to leap ahead of the Steelers to obtain OLine help, is the target.

Future draft picks, beyond 2011, also can be traded. But an ominous caveat comes from ESPNís Chris Mortensen.

Per Mort, the league has advised teams that any trades of draft picks beyond 2011 will occur ďat [their] own risk

In other words, there may not be a draft in 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...heir-own-risk/

This has been a recording